‘Wobbling’ moon will cause devastating worldwide flooding in 2030s, NASA warns

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-n...l-cause-devastating-worldwide-flooding-2030s/
The world faces an onslaught of coastal flooding starting in the mid-2030s due to a "wobble" in the moon's orbit, Nasa has warned.

Numbers of floods could quadruple as the gravitational effects of the lunar cycle combine with climate change to produce "a decade of dramatic increases" in water disasters.

The space agency said coastal cities would experience "rapidly increasing high-tide floods" and they would occur in "clusters" lasting a month or longer.

It said the main cause was a "regular wobble" in the moon’s orbit, which was first recorded in 1728.

Nasa said: "What’s new is how one of the wobble’s effects on the moon’s gravitational pull – the main cause of Earth’s tides – will combine with rising sea levels resulting from the planet’s warming."

The wobble in the moon's orbit takes 18.6 years to complete.

For half of that time, regular daily tides on Earth are suppressed, meaning high tides are lower than normal, and low tides are higher than normal.

During the other half of the cycle tides are amplified, meaning high tides get even higher, and low tides get even lower. As global sea levels rise, the amplification effect will be increased.

The next time this "lunar assist" to high tides comes around will be in the mid-2030s. By that time global sea levels will have been rising for another decade.

It will have passed a "tipping point" and the result will be a "leap in flood numbers on almost all US mainland coastlines," Nasa said.

I suggest launching half the worlds ocean water into space.

Or building massive inland oceans. Building a 100 foot wall around Kansas and fill it up.

I suggest launching half the worlds ocean water into space.

Or building massive inland oceans. Building a 100 foot wall around Kansas and fill it up.

I'll take a little lake where I live. Flood the houses behind me, it's fine. I'm uphill anyway

Not to cause an argument but I think the moon is wobblin' on it's own and not thanks to mankind and climate change. :teeth:
If you read the article, it says that rising sea levels caused by the Earth's warming are going to increase the amplification effect caused by the lunar assist. Yes, the "wobbling" of the moons orbit isn't caused by mankind but the effect it's going to have and the severe flooding it will cause is because of climate change...even if some choose not to believe or not want to do anything to prevent it from getting worse because it might inconvenience them.

If you read the article, it says that rising sea levels caused by the Earth's warming are going to increase the amplification effect caused by the lunar assist. Yes, the "wobbling" of the moons orbit isn't caused by mankind but the effect it's going to have and the severe flooding it will cause is because of climate change...even if some choose not to believe or not want to do anything to prevent it from getting worse because it might inconvenience them.

I agree......that's why I didn't say anything about the effects of the wobblin' in my post. ;)

Well given parts of the subway flooded with the latest tropical storm, I'd say it wouldn't take much worse of a tide/storm to yield a far worse result.

Expensive electric cars and banning straws and plastic grocery bags in the US should solve that, shouldn't it?
I'd prefer public transportation to everyone buying new cars. But those things sure beat the people out there that are part of the problem, offering no solutions and fiddling while the world burns imho.

Last edited:
Well given parts of the subway flooded with the latest tropical storm, I'd say it wouldn't take much worse of a tide/storm to yield a far worse result.

I'd prefer public transportation to everyone buying new cars. But those things sure beat the people out there that are part of the problem, offering no solutions and fiddling while the world burns imho.
How did public transportation work for you starting, oh, around April last year?

I've seen floods of "wobbling moons" around the beaches this Summer. I'm sure the Telegraph would have been there to report, but they were probably following a hot lead on Bat Boy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter