“I'm really starting to regret that 4am dance party...” An Overdue Sept/Oct 2018 TR Update 11/26/21! (Oops!)

BibbitybobityLu

DIS Veteran

source.gif

Thanks for stopping by...or I guess clicking by this little old TR of mine! You may remember me from such other TR's like my last spectacular and completely...(ahem)...finished 2016 TR. If you didn't read it that's fine! Just take my word for it that it was wonderful and I totally finished writing it. I promise. No need to check!

tumblr_mw88szc2ku1qcyuhro2_r1_250.gif

In case you don't know who I am (and my intro so far hasn't scared you off...), I'm your TR tour guide Lu!

20160923_202004.jpg

Favourite Park: DHS

Favourite Resort: Grand Floridian

Favourite Restaurant: Sci-Fi Dine In

Favourite Ride: Expedition Everest or RnRC

Favourite Princess: Belle

Favourite Character: Eeyore

Favourite Snack: Popcorn

Along on this fun filled ride was my mum, who I will just be calling M for this TR as I am super lazy! Here she is!

20180929_101747.jpg

Favourite Park: Animal Kingdom

Favourite Restaurant: 50’s Prime Time Cafe (but also loves Flying Fish)

Favourite Resort: Beach Club

Favourite Ride: BTMR

Favourite Princess: Belle

Favourite Character: Sven

Favourite Snack: Churro

Our trip was from Thursday 20th September until Thursday 18th October (with some travel days added in) and it was an adventure! We laughed, we cried, we sweated...

tenor.gif

...and here I am to tell you all about it. Hopefully! So...let's get started!

1*hyqJzpqML8_OsEir6KCahw.gif

Last edited:

Travel Day 1: Yes, but where is the Gherkin?

So I know I said in my intro that our trip started on Thursday 20th September but technically it started on Tuesday 18th September. Tiny bit of back story, originally when I was planning this trip we were going to fly on Thursday 20th September from our usually airport Manchester (the British one) but that didn't pan out at all. Instead we ended up flying from Gatwick on Wednesday 19th September instead. So we had to travel to London the day before which was Tuesday 18th September. Whew! That was a lot of waffling wasn't it?! Mmmm...waffles...

anigif_enhanced-buzz-24248-1364846579-1.gif

Anyway, M and I set off on Tuesday to catch our train to London. There isn't a direct train from York, where we set off from, so we had to get a train to King's Cross then walk to St Pancras then get a train to Gatwick Airport. Which would have been fine, if only I hadn't packed pretty much everything I own!

gallery-1450399839-jq290xg.gif
Mostly it was a pretty uneventful journey, so here are some photos of London that I took out the window!

44829442044_ee14567ed1_h.jpg

30643750047_d421180b5a_b.jpg

giphy.gif

Amazing right? But for the life of me I could't work out where the Gherkin was! I mean it is kind of a big dill!

LJ7.gif
Dad jokes aside, we managed to get all our stuff off the train and over to the North Terminal without knocking anyone over! I had booked us into the Sofitel at the airport, mostly because there is a walkway from the hotel to the terminal and as I explained before I am super lazy!

45584911831_bb848c8919_b.jpg

We arrived around 3pm and our room was ready which was lucky!

43767392040_4bb127e71e_c.jpg

45584926121_9623ed9b26_c.jpg

30643781127_914652af21_b.jpg

We had a room with a view...of the terminal shuttle!

20180918_151259.jpg

The room was nice enough, but the fridge didn't work, and neither did the ice machine. But it was only for one night so it didn't really matter. We didn't feel like going back out to get dinner so we ordered some over-priced room service, which to make sure I start this TR off right I totally forgot to take a photo of!

tumblr_inline_p5prfzlvly1ugn76r_500.gif

But from what I remember we got a chicken caesar wrap and garlic bread and it was terrible, so maybe it's for the best! We spent the evening watching TV before going to sleep! I know, what an exciting start to the TR right?!

Aladdin-Rajah-12132016.gif

It does get more exciting I promise! Why not find out in travel day 2?! Which, as luck would have it is next!​

Travel Day 2, Part 1: Why yes, I do need alcohol!

(Ok this post is going to be text heavy...and rant-y. Very rant-y! Sorry! Feel free to skip ahead!)

For anyone who read my PTR for this trip (which I totally finished) or my TR from the last trip (again which I totally finished) you might know that I managed to get a super good deal again on Virgin Atlantic Upper Class flights again. As we were flying from Gatwick we were both really looking forward to using the Clubhouse. I really didn't sleep well and was wide awake by 5am. M managed to sleep in till 6:30am then we both decided to get up and ready, I mean more time in the Clubhouse right?!

We left the room at 8:30am and checked out. As we starting walking to the terminal M starting sniffling... a lot. Oh no.

200.gif

But it was fine! We were going to Disney! After the short walk to the terminal we found the Virgin Atlantic check in desk (I thought I took a photo but apparently not) and went to get checked in.

giphy.gif
I handed over our passports to the check-in lady and she started typing away. I was feeling really pleased with myself, I was really prepared for this trip, I had all travel documents and passports in my fancy new wallet, I had all our car rental vouchers and other tickets and conformations, heck I even had my brand new credit card that doesn't charge currency exchange fees, I had everything!

“Do you have the credit card you used to purchase your flights?”....Except that!

dont-panic-gif-8.gif

Now I have never been asked for a credit card when checking in for a flight, hotel sure, flight never. Especially if I paid for the tickets in full months ago! The nice lady behind the counter proceeded to tell us that the system wouldn't let her check us in.

tenor.gif
She led over to the ticket desk and passed us off onto one of her colleagues. I explained that it was M's card and that we didn't have that card with us, mostly because a couple of months before her card had been acting weird and the bank sent her a new one (with different numbers) and we didn't know we needed it.

9c909844002a5893608013a321f4a4d107c86e03.gif

I asked why, if having the credit card you booked with with you is so important why at no point during booking (or in any of the five emails about flight schedule changes) do they tell people to bring it? Turns out this is a really smart move on their end, see if they don't tell you and you are committing fraud then when you come to the airport they can arrest you, cause if they said bring the card, clearly you wouldn't turn up and then you can't be arrested!

tenor.gif

So I asked what would happen if someone else had booked our tickets? Well, apparently, that couldn't possibly be fraud and that would be totally fine.

reciprocal-links-seo-2.gif

Now, I'm not saying that Virgin Atlantic were unhelpful during all of this, but Virgin Atlantic were really unhelpful during all of this! I won't lie to you, by this point I was a mess. I mean Kim K mess level.

giphy.gif

It didn't help that when I asked what our options were, half an hour after being on hold, my new BBF behind the desk told me I would have to buy new tickets for the flights, at full on the day cost, then apply for a refund on the other tickets which may or may not be approved.

source.gif

Luckily for my bank account (and my health) the other department finally came back with an answer and we could indeed get checked in.

oh-thank-god-gif-6.gif

Not the best start. But luckily the worst was over now and we could move forward without going through anything that stressful for the rest of the trip (hahahahaha....if only that was true....). Without a single apology or even smile the lady behind the ticket desk handed back our passports and shooed us back to the check in desk. Seriously Virgin customer service is lacking.

tumblr_inline_nt2wcuhqKS1qzaequ_500.gif

Finally, over an hour after when we arrived, we were checked in, our bags sent on their merry way and we had our boarding passes. Stressed, sweaty and tear stained we went off in search of security. If anyone actually did read my TR from the last trip security was a lot smoother this time! I ended up talking to a lovely security lady as we went through and told her about our ordeal, and she was just as shocked about it as us. Finally cleared to fly it was time to hit the Clubhouse!

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F05%2Fwaiting.gif

Well after a quick pit stop at Boots to get cold cure medication! The Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse is very pretty. When we checked in at the front desk the two ladies instantly recognised our names and asked if we were the ones who had been struggling at check in! Yep, that would be us! I explained what happened and wouldn't you know it they were surprised and confused by it too! They actually apologised for what happened and asked if they could get us anything which was really nice as it was the first time anyone seemed to care. I told them we were fine and I would just send Virgin an email about it all when I got home (which I have!). Then they showed us round the Clubhouse.

45535121122_684c24284b_b.jpg

45535128682_e66e876e94_b.jpg

44671628875_fd271db77c_b.jpg

45585573741_353ea2425b_c.jpg

By now it was time for a drink!

giphy.gif

I got The Bramble:

31713333518_63a1760eca_c.jpg

It was really nice. We ordered some breakfast and tried to relax! I got a bacon sandwich.

31713341408_d0148bffeb_c.jpg

M got eggs Florentine but I don't have a photo of it as she dropped her napkin on it the second it arrived. The food was good and it was good to sit and people watch. The Clubhouse has a spa, you can get a massage or a haircut while you wait.

45535135692_d1e82ea8e8_b.jpg

So why not get our nails done?!

latest

Both M and I settled on getting our toe nails done, it is sandal weather in Florida isn't it?! Lucky for you I didn't take a photo of my feet! But you might see them sometime later on in the trip! Haha!

Not long after our spa treatment boarding for our flight started. It was almost time!! We bid adieu to the Clubhouse and made our way to our plane.

31713458158_5030f9ed96_b.jpg

Tinker Belle! Guess that means we better go to Disney!

tumblr_lmmsruex921qk8vifo1_500.gif

Stay tuned for travel day 2, part 2! Coming soon!

Loving this TR!!!! And your experience at airport check in caused me to double check the card we booked with so we can make sure that comes with us on our upcoming trip. Moment of panic there because I was afraid I used DH's card and he's not traveling this time, but nope, it's mine. Good thing you had an early start that morning. I would have been stressed, sweaty, and tear stained, too. The bramble drink looks like it was a nice pick-me-up after that ordeal.

You may remember me from such other TR's like my last spectacular and completely...(ahem)...finished 2016 TR.

Uh, huh... Yep. Totally finished. Yup.

Pretty picture of you. :)

Favourite Ride: Expedition Everest or RnRC

Not bad. You could do worse.

Along on this fun filled ride was my mum, who I will just be calling M for this TR as I am super lazy!

One wonders how lazy do you have to be to avoid typing two letters.

We laughed, we cried, we sweated...

I believe all of that.

So I know I said in my intro that our trip started on Thursday 20th September but technically it started on Tuesday 18th September.

we were going to fly on Thursday 20th September from our usually airport Manchester

What is it when it's not an airport?

Mmmm...waffles...

anigif_enhanced-buzz-24248-1364846579-1.gif

At least there's whipping cream. Otherwise... hard no.
Must have whipping cream. Otherwise...

Anyway, M and I set off on Tuesday to catch our train to London. There isn't a direct train from York, where we set off from, so we had to get a train to King's Cross then walk to St Pancras then get a train to Gatwick Airport

I didn't realize you lived so far north of London.

Pretty soon I'll have enough details to reset the cameras back up.

Which would have been fine, if only I hadn't packed pretty much everything I own!

How does one pack a bed and dresser?

Whoa. London has changed a lot since I was there last in.... Well, before you were born. Well before you were born.

Amazing right? But for the life of me I could't work out where the Gherkin was! I mean it is kind of a big dill!

LJ7.gif

Dad jokes aside

Thank you for that.

we managed to get all our stuff off the train and over to the North Terminal without knocking anyone over!

Always a plus. Unless your intent was to knock someone over.
"Watch out for that headboard! I always do."

as I explained before I am super lazy!

And yet, somehow failed to get someone to carry all the heavy suitcases and furniture.

We had a room with a view...of the terminal shuttle!

The room was nice enough, but the fridge didn't work, and neither did the ice machine.

well... you keep saying you're lazy, so technically you didn't work either, so...

But from what I remember we got a chicken caesar wrap and garlic bread and it was terrible, so maybe it's for the best!

terrible food is the best. Got it. These rules are hard.

We spent the evening watching TV before going to sleep! I know, what an exciting start to the TR right?!

riveting!

Okay fine. I'll comment on the rest.

I mean more time in the Clubhouse right?!

As we starting walking to the terminal M starting sniffling... a lot. Oh no.

Oh no. but... at least she wasn't sick from the first day of the vacation... which according to you was the day before.

Silver linings, right?

Right???

hello?

“Do you have the credit card you used to purchase your flights?”....Except that!

uhhhhh.... what?

"No I don't and I don't need it. The tickets are paid in full and I paid off the credit card too. So go stuff yourselves."

Now I have never been asked for a credit card when checking in for a flight

Nor have I. Or anyone else on the planet.

The nice lady behind the counter proceeded to tell us that the system wouldn't let her check us in.

She led over to the ticket desk

hmmm...

now then, did you mean "She led us over..." or "She fled over to..."

I suspect the latter.

I explained that it was M's card and that we didn't have that card with us, mostly because a couple of months before her card had been acting weird and the bank sent her a new one (with different numbers) and we didn't know we needed it.

Nor do you. The tickets are paid for! Months ago!

I asked why, if having the credit card you booked with with you is so important why at no point during booking (or in any of the five emails about flight schedule changes) do they tell people to bring it? Turns out this is a really smart move on their end, see if they don't tell you and you are committing fraud then when you come to the airport they can arrest you, cause if they said bring the card, clearly you wouldn't turn up and then you can't be arrested!

uh huh. sure.

So I asked what would happen if someone else had booked our tickets? Well, apparently, that couldn't possibly be fraud and that would be totally fine.
reciprocal-links-seo-2.gif

Sure. Totally makes sense.
Which is why "Alexander" got himself a very nice $8,500 vacation at my expense last July.
(got the money back, but... it was a months long process.)

I won't lie to you, by this point I was a mess. I mean Kim K mess level.

oooh... ugly crying...

my new BBF behind the desk told me I would have to buy new tickets for the flights, at full on the day cost, then apply for a refund on the other tickets which may or may not be approved.

You're sh*tting me!

"Great idea! How about we put it on your credit card and you apply for the refund later since this is your screw up."

grrrrr... I'm really angry on your behalf.

But luckily the worst was over now and we could move forward without going through anything that stressful for the rest of the trip (hahahahaha....if only that was true....).

oh, dear

Without a single apology or even smile the lady behind the ticket desk handed back our passports and shooed us back to the check in desk.

Wow. Nice. :sad2:

security was a lot smoother this time! I ended up talking to a lovely security lady as we went through and told her about our ordeal, and she was just as shocked about it as us.

Good!

Well after a quick pit stop at Boots to get cold cure medication!

You keep medicine in boots?

How very odd you British are.

They actually apologised for what happened

Finally! Someone with a lick of sense.

I would just send Virgin an email about it all when I got home (which I have!).

Any response?

I got The Bramble:

Looks good. I might have ordered the same.

I got a bacon sandwich.

M got eggs Florentine but I don't have a photo of it as she dropped her napkin on it the second it arrived.

Uhhhh.... why?

So why not get our nails done?!

Why not? Heck it's free, so... even I might have done that.

Well... maybe not...

it is sandal weather in Florida isn't it?!

It's always sandal weather in Florida

Lucky for you I didn't take a photo of my feet!

and a vast, copious amount of foot fetishists leave the TR.

:) Love the graphic.

Tinker Belle! Guess that means we better go to Disney!

::yes::

Hello!

1489400340_home-alone-friendly-greeting.gif

I'm here!!! YAY!

What the heck was that about with VA and the credit card thing?? Did they get back to you when you emailed them? I've always had really good service with them so that's disappointing to hear. I think I would freak out if I was you! I guess it's a lesson in arriving at the airport nice and early!!

Wait, I can't even tell where you're staying?! Is this the Grand Floridian / Beach Club trip?! Eeeek if so I'm very excited as I'm returning to the Beach Club very soon! But if not, I'm still very excited, let's be serious :goodvibes woowoooo excited to hear all about it!

giphy.gif

Well hello there! It’s been awhile since I was around here huh? Let’s see how far did I get on this TR….oh….we aren’t even on the plane yet. Great! Doing...good. I really wish I had a really impressive reason for no updating this TR...but I don’t so….let’s just do an update now! To Florida we go!

Travel Day 2, Part 2: Hey, Tell Mickey I'm On My Way!

It was (finally) time to board Tinker Belle (that sounds weird...) and go and see Mickey Mouse! Now I don't have any photos of the cabin because for some unknown reason I decided to take a video instead. But I do have some photos of M and I on-board!

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

You are very welcome for that. It was a very beautiful day at Gatwick.

40344385223_93a4ea7f0e_h.jpg

I was very sad to be leaving to head to Orlando.

tumblr_liq5z2bHMp1qzado8o1_500.gif

We took off on time and I only freaked out once during take off!
http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2FJohnny-Depp-panics.gif

Then I was fine. Progress! Flipping through the entertainment system I couldn't decided what to watch and ended up watching Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. Hey look it's the sky!

47257004382_5320c9b423_c.jpg

33433733438_2a2141d9b9_c.jpg

Pretty soon it was time for food!

giphy.gif

46394434295_1b70f1e30b_c.jpg

46586059854_a00ccae2b4_c.jpg

47309359841_d523d3598d_c.jpg

47257010862_823f059dde_c.jpg

M joined my at my table!

20180919_143239.jpg

I still really want to steal these...

47257013152_2fcf2203e2_c.jpg

47309365501_e2dbb8225c_b.jpg

First up was the bread. Mmmmm...bread...

40344454483_af4e4c8c58_c.jpg

47257062902_2a326cb6b0_c.jpg

M had the soup, which I am given to understand was in fact soupy. I am an amazing TR reporter right?

46586143674_f7723a6fdb_c.jpg

I had the mushrooms.

40344476453_2abe4561bc_c.jpg

This was...weird, and not in a good way. Next up we both had the steak.

33433823968_91ee48f3a1_c.jpg

This was nicer than the mushrooms but I didn't eat much of it. I just want Mickey shaped food okay?!

anigif_enhanced-25629-1400017791-1.gif

M and I decided to share the dessert options.

32367669897_7f46e1e7e9_c.jpg

33433825518_f972768c2d_c.jpg

Neither were good, but it's plane food. After that wonderful meal I tried watching Game Night but gave up half way. Is anyone else terrible watching movies on a plane? Just me? Okay. I can watch an entire Netflix series in one go at home but I struggle not getting bored 10 minutes into anything on a plane! Instead I tried and failed to read a book and eventually just listened to some music. And that was 9 hours folks!

tenor.gif

Well kinda. Here are some more out of the window shots!

40344556573_f838bf19f6_b.jpg

40344560413_0970a7a086_c.jpg

46586203814_5b0e3fc8ec_c.jpg

Land ahoy! Can you say that when you are on a plane?

47309495581_269c404639_c.jpg

46394601245_755dee10d6_c.jpg

46394608095_d81f9a20f0_c.jpg

47257181712_4cc14a9c01_c.jpg

46394612325_79afe67fff_c.jpg

46394615045_76f26566c1_c.jpg

Last edited:
And boom! Orlando Airport! Well thankfully not boom. More like a gentle, slow descent to the ground and Orlando Airport!

32367748977_a5692eae02_c.jpg

We made it!

giphy.gif
Deplaning was very quick. We breezed through security and customs and our bags were first on the carousel!
tumblr_mrlabiz32L1r9xoqno1_500.gif

This was all really good, but amusingly this was the day that we really didn't need everything to go fast! Quick rewind again, as we had to fly a day early we didn't have a Disney hotel for this night so I just booked a room at the airport so we didn't have far to go. So we literally were just staying in the airport anyway!

giphy.gif

One thing I didn't realise with all the construction the area where you can send your bags through to the other baggage claim had changed, and before we knew it we had to get our three huge suitcases and two carry-on's up an escalator. It did not go well!

giphy.gif
But we got to the fauxorail mostly intact! We trundled our way to the Hyatt to check in and a very nice bellman help move our bags. I love the Hyatt at MCO, like I really love it. That might sound really sad but ever since I was a child I wanted to stay there. Four year old me was like “screw Disney lets stay at the airport!”

giphy.gif

I don't feel quite as strongly any more but I was excited to stay here.

20180920_081331.jpg

20180920_081327.jpg

20180920_081350.jpg

Our room was amazing!

46394649915_2d7c8c51fc_b.jpg

32367798637_c38717e338_b.jpg

20180919_232544.jpg

47257279392_501ea5ca35_b.jpg

Look at that TV!

46394651475_e3e3e08a19_b.jpg

33433976378_e494bacde1_b.jpg

20180919_232603.jpg

And the view!

20180919_232625.jpg

20180919_232629.jpg

20180919_232631.jpg

20180919_232635.jpg

20180919_232638.jpg

We called my dad back in England to tell him we had arrived. It was around 6:30pm when we arrived at the hotel and M was in bed by 7pm. She really wasn't feel so great.

93fXcp8.gif

So we ended up staying in and watching TV (which is much better than British TV...just saying) and going to bed around 9:30pm.
tumblr_n5dkenAEzV1t6o6vlo1_400.gif

First night in Florida, Check! Tomorrow the real fun begins! DISNEY!!!
source.gif

I always felt the same way about the MCO Hyatt growing up! haha I've actually stayed there twice now and really love it as an option outside of Disney for those random flight nights!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter