“Toms” shoes for the parks?

motofox4

DIS Veteran
So I was going to get a pair or two of the new Disney Toms that are out. I’ve HEARD they’re comfortable and tried them on but I’ve never worn them long enough to know if they’re comfortable enough to walk around the parks in. I feel like they should be but I wanted to see if anyone else has worn them in the parks all day long and your feet aren’t hurting REALLY bad at the end of the day? We’re going in May 2019 so if I buy them I’ll have plenty of time to break them in so that won’t be an issue. I’m really just curious if the inside bottoms of them are comfy enough after hours and hours of walking? Like I said, trying them on they feel good but trying them on for a couple of minutes isn’t enough to know if they’re good for walking the parks in Disney. I’ve worn Clark’s and Sperry flip flops/sandals in the parks and while they’re comfy, flip flops definitely hurt after a few hours of walking and I got blisters on the bottoms of my feet which HURT!! So I want closed toe shoes. I have Disney Vans which I’ve worn before too and they’re GREAT but I need another pair.

This is the pair of Vans I have and are comfortable.

Attachments

• EB6D7D20-0030-4B5D-AFD1-4E20C2B11F06.jpeg
    EB6D7D20-0030-4B5D-AFD1-4E20C2B11F06.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 49
i tried Toms in the parks on our first trip. I learned that was a really bad idea for me. Also Birks and Vibrams didn't work for me that trip. However, my daughter did and still does wear Toms and Vibrams in the parks with no trouble, so I guess it just depends on the person and the feet.

See, the problem with this question is that other people's feet aren't your feet. You don't know how big they are, how long their stride is, the degree of arch, the way they actually walk, their age or general fitness. Try the shoes on your feet for a full day of walking first before deciding if you'll bring them to Disney.

Thank you both!
I didn’t even think about the part of it depending on each individual person and their size, how they walk, etc. I’m going to have to do what you said with walking around doing what I do on a normal basis here and see how I feel after the day is done. Thank you for your thoughts and ideas!! Something I really never thought of!! Very helpful!

Toms (the traditional ones, anyway) are great park shoes for me, but I can also do flip flops in the park all day, too. My best tip is to switch shoes if you do a midday break, or at least every other day in the parks. My feet feel less tired when I do that.

I live in Toms. They have been my primary shoes for almost ten years (since their early days!). I find them very comfortable for walking in. I live in NYC and log about two to three miles a day just in general "Point A to Point B" foot travel, usually in Toms. Here's the issues you might find with them:

- They are NOT good if it rains. They get wet easily, don't dry quickly and have little traction, so can be slippery.
- If it gets really humid and/or hot, my feet tend to sweat a lot and get pretty hot and Toms can start to feel kind of suffocating. When I was in the parks last year, I carried flip flops in my knapsack and usually switched out of the Toms once my feet felt hot, then put them back on later in the day if it cooled down. The crocheted versions of Toms combat this problem pretty well if you like those, since they allow your feet to breathe.
- If you need arch support, they aren't really for you.
- They can be snug at first (I tend to buy a size down so that they aren't too big, and then break them in before wearing them for extended periods).

My favorite Toms right now are my glow-in-the-dark fireworks ones!

I live in Toms. They have been my primary shoes for almost ten years (since their early days!). I find them very comfortable for walking in. I live in NYC and log about two to three miles a day just in general "Point A to Point B" foot travel, usually in Toms. Here's the issues you might find with them:

- They are NOT good if it rains. They get wet easily, don't dry quickly and have little traction, so can be slippery.
- If it gets really humid and/or hot, my feet tend to sweat a lot and get pretty hot and Toms can start to feel kind of suffocating. When I was in the parks last year, I carried flip flops in my knapsack and usually switched out of the Toms once my feet felt hot, then put them back on later in the day if it cooled down. The crocheted versions of Toms combat this problem pretty well if you like those, since they allow your feet to breathe.
- If you need arch support, they aren't really for you.
- They can be snug at first (I tend to buy a size down so that they aren't too big, and then break them in before wearing them for extended periods).

My favorite Toms right now are my glow-in-the-dark fireworks ones!

Thank you so much for all of that! We are going in May so I assume it’ll be hot and humid - we’ve never been in May before, only July, September, October and December. I’m not REALLY sure what to expect in May but I’m sure it’ll at least be starting to get hot. The two pair I’m looking to get don’t look like they’re crocheted so I guess with going on Splash Mountain and Kali River Rapids, I’d be walking around with wet feet. I couldn’t deal with that and the bag I carry wouldn’t hold a pair of flip flops. Ugh. I guess I need to find another pair of good comfortable shoes. I love the flip flops I have but like I said, I got bad blisters on the bottoms before and my calves hurt from walking fast (my bf walks fast and I try to walk faster to keep up). I’m only 5’1 so my short legs don’t go that far! lol

I've tried tennis shoes, sperry's, go walks, sandals....and I always end up going back to my toms at disney. Toms are my go-to at home as well. I've found that my feet do way better no matter what shoes I wear walking 10 miles at Disney if I use moleskin padding on places that tend to blister. Just my weird feet, I suppose!

Thank you! I think because I do love the Toms I’ve been considering, I’m going to get them anyway because I’ll wear them at home anyway. I’ll wear them and see how they feel and if I think they’re comfortable enough to walk through the parks in, I’ll bring them. If not, I’ll check out different brands and see what I think will work best

Thanks for asking this - I was wondering the same thing! I'm looking at them too, thinking about a pair of those and a pair of Tevas. I'm going to wear them to work and around my house before I go to see how they are (winter is coming in Canada so I can't really go for outdoor walks in them haha)

Thanks for asking this - I was wondering the same thing! I'm looking at them too, thinking about a pair of those and a pair of Tevas. I'm going to wear them to work and around my house before I go to see how they are (winter is coming in Canada so I can't really go for outdoor walks in them haha)

Tevas work the best for me in the parks. I can wear Toms all day doing my usual stuff but not in the parks. Too much concrete.

I absolutely could not do the parks in Toms. We average 25,000 steps a day and I need good arch support. I urged a friend who came with us to Disneyland in September to buy "real" sneakers for our trip but she went with slip on sketchers and toms, She wore the Toms the first day in the parks and (even though she'd been walking a mile or so a day in them back home) she ended up with TONS of blisters and her feet were in agony for the rest of our trip. I felt horrible that I hadn't pushed her harder to get better, more supportive shoes. Now she is a bigger girl and has feet and leg issues so it's probably something she should have considered a bit more but because she'd done walks and festivals in them before she thought she'd be fine. The Disney ones are cute (for toms) though

Toms have little support - which may or may not be an issue for you.

I work on my feet (selling footwear ironically) so they’ve become accustomed to years of action and abuse and I can wear my Chucks all day in the parks. My BFF however must plan her footwear months in advance and have them broken in well in order to be able to walk all those miles. And even then she sometimes needs to sit and take a load off.

As others have said, they’re your feet and different from others. I’d suggest taking the shoes for a “test drive” by walking miles upon miles (no joke) and make sure they’ll work for you.

Good luck!

Wore Toms for 2 week trip a few years ago- worked perfect for me. 2 pregnancies later, I can wear them for everyday stuff but not for park touring. I know wear Tevas and trying to figure out what I am going to do next week with possibly colder temps.

If you do buy them, do it in plenty of time before trip to break them in.

My go-to shoes for my trips are Croc sandals and Toms. Just wear what is comfy for you. I once even wore a pair from Walmart, the memory foam was very comfy. Wear what is comfy for you.

Nothing works for me but lace up athletic shoes and good socks. I don't care how hot it is, my feet have to be happy!! We walk many many miles at Disney and are fast walkers, not meanders. My feet are naturally tired (with the rest of me) at the end of day, but they don't hurt!! Have never had blisters at Disney.

How much are you willing to pay for a nice pair of comfortable, durable and attractive pair of flip flops?

i wore my Bob's last trip (the cheaper Tom's) and loved them. I do go to wal-mart & bought the thicker ankle type socks (the ones you cant see when wearing the shoes on) for some extra comfort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter