1 day at Universal?? Help??

bjcaed

Mouseketeer
We have time for one day at Universal during the Monday of Thanksgiving week. I know it will be crazy crowded but this may be our only time to go. When it is super crowded is it worth it to add the express to your ticket or will that line be just as long as the others?? The 2 park one day with express is a little over $250 each.
Your thoughts??
Thanks!!!!

I went for one day back in February during Presidents’ Day week. I had heard that if you go during a holiday week to not even bother unless you get the express passes. That was excellent advice. We ended up staying at the Royal Pacific because the cost of the hotel room was the same as buying the express passes. The express passes were well worth it. The lines were shortened by at least 75%. The best part was the one hour extra in the morning before everyone else arrives. It really made a difference in our Diagon Alley experience.

How many people? Even with 2 people, if EPs will cost you $500, it would behoove you to price out the deluxe resorts that include the unlimited EP. I'm seeing Royal Pacific at $339 for that night. People often book a "throwaway" room that they never use for the sole purpose of getting the unlimited express pass for a cheaper price. You'd just have to check in at the resort prior to going to the park, but don't have to return to the resort at all unless you want to. It also gives you EP for two days, which likely doesn't matter if you're only visiting one day.

In a normal year, I would say EP would very much be worth it during Thanksgiving week. Monday will be less busy than Wednesday or Thursday of the same week, but I'd say its still worthwhile. But with this year, there's no telling what crowds will look like so any predictions are just based on opinions. Another thing you could do is go without EPs, see how the wait times and crowds are, and then purchase EP at Guest Services only if you decide you need it. You'll lose some of the value by not having it at the start of the day, but its a good option if you're worried about buying it and crowds being manageable.

We were at Thanksgiving last year and it was pretty crowded. EPs were great, though there was one days where even EPs had > 30 minute waits. The regular lines were all over an hour.

Going to Universal one day is super expensive, especially if you have to buy EPs or a deluxe hotel room to get the EPs. If I were going to do it, I would actually book a non-private VIP tour. While it is even more expensive than the EPs (at $299), it bypasses all lines (including Hagrids). So it would let you get through more of both parks and it acts as an EP after the tour ends if you need more...

How many people? Even with 2 people, if EPs will cost you $500, it would behoove you to price out the deluxe resorts that include the unlimited EP. I'm seeing Royal Pacific at $339 for that night. People often book a "throwaway" room that they never use for the sole purpose of getting the unlimited express pass for a cheaper price. You'd just have to check in at the resort prior to going to the park, but don't have to return to the resort at all unless you want to. It also gives you EP for two days, which likely doesn't matter if you're only visiting one day.

In a normal year, I would say EP would very much be worth it during Thanksgiving week. Monday will be less busy than Wednesday or Thursday of the same week, but I'd say its still worthwhile. But with this year, there's no telling what crowds will look like so any predictions are just based on opinions. Another thing you could do is go without EPs, see how the wait times and crowds are, and then purchase EP at Guest Services only if you decide you need it. You'll lose some of the value by not having it at the start of the day, but its a good option if you're worried about buying it and crowds being manageable.
Thank you all of that is so helpful! If we are a group of 4, will reserving a room give us unlimited EP for all 4 of us? This does give us a cheaper option and a place to rest if we need a break. Is it like disney where we canc heck in early morning and leave bags and go to the park? If so we could spend the night and catch an uber back to Disney in the morning since that will be our sleep in morning either way. This gives me a lot to investigate.Thanks for being so helpful.

We were at Thanksgiving last year and it was pretty crowded. EPs were great, though there was one days where even EPs had > 30 minute waits. The regular lines were all over an hour.

Going to Universal one day is super expensive, especially if you have to buy EPs or a deluxe hotel room to get the EPs. If I were going to do it, I would actually book a non-private VIP tour. While it is even more expensive than the EPs (at $299), it bypasses all lines (including Hagrids). So it would let you get through more of both parks and it acts as an EP after the tour ends if you need more...
oooooh I will have to look into that! this is all new territory for me!! thanks so much for your help!!

Yes, you can normally have up to 5 persons per room (normal standard 2 Queen bed room) with everyone getting a room key (which is your Express Pass as well.) And yes, you can check in early in the morning (even though the room may not be available) and get your room keys (which as mentioned are your EPs). If you give the check-in desk your cell phone number, they can text you when the room is ready. You won't even have to go by the front desk as your keys will automatically work for the room they assign you.

As for the non-private VIPs, I think they start at almost $200/person. So that means for 4, your looking at around $800. Personally, I'd probably stick with getting a room at one of the Premier on-site hotels to get EPs for your whole party. One of the problems with the non-private VIP tours is that you go where they take you. If you like a ride and want to run through it a 2nd time, you have to wait until later that day when the tour has finished. So you lose some flexibility.

There is an additional charge for the premier hotel rooms if you have more than 2 adults booked for the room.

But it still will be cheaper to go that route instead of buying the ep for the park day.

If we are a group of 4, will reserving a room give us unlimited EP for all 4 of us?
Yes, all 4 of you will have the unlimited EP for both your check in day and check out day. As PP mentioned, any adult over 18+ after the first two will be subject to additional persons charges. I don't know the exact cost - maybe another $25 per person? It may tell you when you make the reservation. So, if all four of you are over 18, you will be subject to the additional person charge x2. But I agree with PP that it would still be cheaper than paying for EP.

Is it like disney where we canc heck in early morning and leave bags and go to the park?
Yes. You can check in before park opening and leave your bags. Even if your room is not ready, they will give each of you a room key which will act as your EP. From any of the 3 resorts that offer EP, you can either walk or take the boat from the parks. The only thing that's different from Disney is that if your room is not ready when you check-in, you will likely need to return to the front desk later to obtain your room number. You also will not be able to charge back to the room with your room key until you room is ready and they have given you the room number (in my own experience).

I’m going to be the odd man out here and say....you MIGHT not need the EP. I was there during the middle of Spring Break this year. Got there ready for rope drop and did what HP I wanted to do first, then any big rides, then by lunch spent the rest of the day toodling around. Universal side was very low waits all day. Islands side got crowded pretty fast. Hagrids I didn’t do just because I’ve watched videos and POV and it just doesn’t look interesting to me.

The extra charge for the premier hotel for adult 3 And/or 4 is $40 additional per person
First 2 on the reservation does not incur any add on fees.

I’m going to be the odd man out here and say....you MIGHT not need the EP. I was there during the middle of Spring Break this year. Got there ready for rope drop and did what HP I wanted to do first, then any big rides, then by lunch spent the rest of the day toodling around. Universal side was very low waits all day. Islands side got crowded pretty fast. Hagrids I didn’t do just because I’ve watched videos and POV and it just doesn’t look interesting to me.

i would never consider Spring Break 2020 to be the standard by which to measure the typical crowd level. Despite what the beaches looked like, overall tourism was way down. Couple that with the massive interest in returning to the parks once the restrictions are lifted, and I would even more vehemently suggest getting EP or staying at a deluxe where it is included.

i firmly believe that this years holiday season( thanksgiving through New Years) is going to be twice if not three times more crowded than ‘typical‘ if the parks reopen in July like seems to be the current rumor. a large chunk are going to wait a few months to see how they handle things crowd wise, mask wise, etc and once the kinks are out, book for the Fall/ Winter.

We went to US/IOA Thanksgiving, 2018, only the Sat the prior through Wed AM. It was WAY busier than I remember Thanksgiving 2015 being. We've not done US/IOA without staying onsite at a premier hotel and getting express passes with the room, since the early 2000s. EP makes it all SO much easier, and if you only have one day, it's a must in my opinion. Just imagine all day fastpass for all the rides except Hagrids. I still have some screen shots of wait times for the 2018 trip. and yes, I do realized wait times per the app/posted can be very , very overstated, . We go to Disney a lot, and this is usually the case, but not always, and usually they're closer to that. Like the time we did the regular queue for FoP, posted was 120 mins, actual was 100, so lower, but still a wait. So at 9:00 AM on Monday, Nov 19, 2018, HP and the FJ was 110 mins. Hippogriff was 45 mins, Hogwarts Express (from IoA) was 25 mins . (at 8:46 FJ was only 50 mins. Maybe there was a ride break down, because that seems like a big jump,) the only times I have on the US side are non HP things. 8:46 AM, Desp Me was 50 mins, Rip Ride rocket was 50, Shrek 25, . but later at 12:36PM on Nov 19, Dep Me was 80 mins, Rip Ride was 85, Shrek 50, Transformers 60. Also at 12:39 Gringotts was 100 mins.
What I noticed was an incredibly packed Diagon Alley,. Gringotts stayed high. but Gringotts (and FJ) have Awesome queues, so a little waiting is fun, and gives you time for a lot of pictures. Later in the evening, the parks clear out pretty good tho, can get things done in the hour or so before park closing. Sorry for all the numbers, but again, I was pretty surprised at the busyness of the days. we had a wonderful trip, We love US/IoA, and LOVE HP. That is amazing if you've not seen it. Were hoping to repeat the trip at fall break, but just not sure now, might have to be 2021

It's a tricky situation. I'd say for one day, go ahead and get the EP. I like the unlimited, but some people are okay with just one ride per attraction. I've actually had the experience of waiting to see how the crowds were to buy the EP, only to find they were sold out.
When we go now, we just book a room at least for a night, and you get 2 days of EPs. For a family of 5 (or less), the math works out in our favor.

The flip side is... if you buy it, and the crowds aren't bad, or you are willing to do single rider, you might regret purchasing the EP.

The other flip side... lol... if you only have 1 day, even if it's not crowded, shaving 10-20 minutes off rides each time is invaluable.

Have fun. :-)

To go back to the OPs initial question about if EPs are worth it and whether purchasing the unlimited EP+1-day 2-park ticket was the best option. I think most here have agreed that EPs are a good thing and worth it in most situations. And given your going during Thanksgiving week, there is a decent chance crowds may be toward the higher end making EPs even more beneficial.

If there are 4 of you (assuming 2 parents and 2 children), you can get a room right now at RPR for Sunday night (Nov. 22nd) for 1-night at $339+taxes which would get all 4 of you EPs for your Monday park day. (It would get you EPs for Sunday as well, but it doesn't look like that is a need for you right now.) You would be left paying about $174/person for a 1-day, 2-Park ticket. Purchasing an Unlimited EP+1-day 2park tickets will run you about $80/person more (which is where you got your approximately $250/person number from).

With 4 persons that means your paying $320+taxes for unlimited EPs for 1-day at 2-parks which is cheaper than getting the room. But with that said there are a couple of possible benefits to paying the extra $25 to get a room for Sunday night. First, you have a place to easily relax in for a few minutes during the day if you want/need it. If crowds are heavy, having a "quiet" place to head to for an afternoon rest can be very beneficial. Also, having the room means you do have EPs for a 2nd day should your plans change and you can make use of it. Don't know if that is of benefit to you or not, but having that extra flexibility can be nice should your travel plans change to 2 days at Universal.

Another possibility, and this is pure speculation on my part, is that we don't yet know how the parks will be operating come later this year (assuming they do open this year of course.) It is probable that Universal will have to significantly limit the number of persons in each park at least through this year (if not even into next year as well.) If so, that begs the question how might they limit the numbers there? One possibility I've read about is they might initially limit attendees to those staying on-site. If this were to happen, then if you didn't have an on-site room, its possible you couldn't get into the Parks on that Monday. But as I mentioned, this is pure speculation as I have no inside knowledge. But if I were planning a trip for later this year and wanted to maximize the chances of being able to take it, I might think that an extra $25 is worth a little bit of extra "insurance" for being able to get into the parks on the day I want.

But from your initial query, if the least expensive option to get EPs is what you are looking for, then I'd say purchasing the ticket combo for the 4 of you would probably be slightly less expensive.

Purchasing an Unlimited EP+1-day 2park tickets will run you about $80/person more (which is where you got your approximately $250/person number from).
Unfortunately, I don't think the EPs are $80 for that day (Nov 23), since there is a major holiday that week. According to the Universal site, a 2-park EP is $130 pp for regular and $160 pp for unlimited. So for 4 people, that is $520 or $640, not $320 (plus tax).

With RPR at $339, even with an extra fee of $80 if all 4 people are over age 18, it is still cheaper to rent a room than to buy EPs separately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter