1 day until I can make my FP+; thoughts on skipping FoP

rentayenta

DIS Veteran
I can make our FP+ in 1 day. :hyper: We are planning on staying until close on our AK day. We have an ADR for Tusker House at 10:35 am that day and as of now AK closes at 9 pm. I am thinking about bagging trying to get a FoP FP+, concentrating on 7DMT and Slinky Dog (for our other park days), and just riding FoP near park closing. Thoughts? I doubt we will arrive much before our ADR; AK's hours are 9a-9p.

The other breakfast option would be to cancel Tusker House and eat at Boma; we are staying at AKV- Kidani. I don't think we will arrive to the park any earlier though.

The morning rope drop mania sounds totally unenjoyable to me. :scared:

We have APs so we could hop but I am not a huge fan of park hopping at WDW; its so much easier at the Disneyland Resort and I guess we are spoiled by that. I have planned a day at each park with a nice later evening dinner/drinks. No rope drops but our lists of must do rides doesn't seem all that long.

If I skip trying to obtain FoP FP+ in AK, which 3 should I try for? Na'vi River, EE, and ?

I know this will make for a very long day but it'll just be DH and myself. Dinner plans include the Nomad Lounge and we have an ADR at Yak n Yeti as well.

Last edited:
Are you willing to get in line for FOP about 2 hrs before park close? Are you willing to then stand in line for that length of time?
If so go for it.
I have a 11:15a.m. and a 7:45PM (2 different days of course)for FOP ...and even though I don't like the later booked FP I'm sticking with it.

Are you willing to get in line for FOP about 2 hrs before park close? Are you willing to then stand in line for that length of time?
If so go for it.
I have a 11:15a.m. and a 7:45PM (2 different days of course)for FOP ...and even though I don't like the later booked FP I'm sticking with it.

:scared: Ugh, two hours at closing? I thought I was seeing high posted wait times but folks only waiting about an hour.

If the park closes at 9, can we not get in line a few minutes before closing?

Hmm.....

I wrote the word willing....I'm not saying you will have to :teeth:

The biggest Disney inside thing I have learned is.....don't ever believe the wait time on a ride when it's nearing park close.
They don't update the time...so they hope to discourage people from getting in line.:ssst:

I wrote the word willing....I'm not saying you will have to :teeth:

The biggest Disney inside thing I have learned is.....don't ever believe the wait time on a ride when it's nearing park close.
They don't update the time...so they hope to discourage people from getting in line.:ssst:

::yes:: Very true. We go to Disneyland weekly and BTMRR always has a 30-40 minute wait posted and its usually a walk on.

Go for the SDMT and Slinky FP first if those are your priority and then see what’s available for FOP. You might be pleasantly surprised.

If that doesn’t work, I agree with PP, get in line about 15 minutes prior to park close.

I think if you want to ride FOP there really isn't any point to not trying for a FP. There are other ways to do FOP if you don't get one. But what's the point of not trying? Unless you aren't planning on riding it there simply is no other FP at AK that will net you near the benefit that a FOP one will. If it's not your number one priority then try for it third--I think people have this notion that the good FPs go in seconds as the clock strikes. That's not exactly true. The final time slots for first FOP FP we had for our recent trip was obtained at about one in the afternoon on our FP day and the second was obtained about twenty days out. Have a back up plan for sure, but in your scenario I don't see the point of not trying.

I normally only do FOP first thing on EMH morniings, but, I have gotten in line twice in the evenings on the past two trips because I had time to wait. Both times lines were posted at 120 Minutes, the first time I waited 72 minutes, the second 63. So, while its posted at 120, I have yet to wait that long in the stand by line.

I'd at least try after you get your other priorities. No harm in looking. :) If not, then get in line just before the park closes. That was our plan (we planned a trip 8 days before we left so no FoP available) but we ended up snagging a FoP same day FP while sitting at dinner that day- 6 or 7 FP in for the day. If we hadn't, though, we were going to go to RoL at 8:45 that night and then head over to FoP before the park closed at 9:30.

If you don't get one, I'd go for Na'vi, EE, and the Safari.

It is crazy that those are the only rides in that tier. NR is not worth a FP. We did it once and would do it again to get out of the heat if it were a walk on. I would try for FOP and if you can't then take NR. We are not rope drop people either - we love staying late.

You shouldn't have a lot of trouble getting a 7DMT fastpass. When I booked mine, I did FOP, then Slinky Dog, then 7DMT. There were the fewest options for Slinky Dog, several options for FOP later in the day (which will work with your schedule), and lots of options for 7DMT. You will probably will be able to get all 3. :)

Definitely try for the FP. If SDD is your top priority, go for that one first, then FOP then SDMT. You shouldn't have an issue with SDMT. If you can't get FOP, get in line 20-30 min before park closing and the wait should be reasonable.

Thanks everyone for the replies! Now its 18 days. :hyper: This is my first time using FP+.

Why would anyone do that?

You can just get in line about 10 to 15 minutes before the park closes. The posted wait time will be much longer than the actual wait time.

That was my thinking as well; why would I line up 2 hours before close to wait another two hours? :crazy2: Sounds awful. LOL.

Go for the SDMT and Slinky FP first if those are your priority and then see what’s available for FOP. You might be pleasantly surprised.

If that doesn’t work, I agree with PP, get in line about 15 minutes prior to park close.

FoP is a priority but I don't want to miss getting the other two trying to get FoP if that makes sense. If Slinky ends up to a kid's coaster than we won't need to ride it but we won't know before Toy Story Land open I don't think.

I think if you want to ride FOP there really isn't any point to not trying for a FP. There are other ways to do FOP if you don't get one. But what's the point of not trying? Unless you aren't planning on riding it there simply is no other FP at AK that will net you near the benefit that a FOP one will. If it's not your number one priority then try for it third--I think people have this notion that the good FPs go in seconds as the clock strikes. That's not exactly true. The final time slots for first FOP FP we had for our recent trip was obtained at about one in the afternoon on our FP day and the second was obtained about twenty days out. Have a back up plan for sure, but in your scenario I don't see the point of not trying.

That makes sense, thank you. It is my first priority truth be told but AK is the only park we plan on closing so riding 7DMT or Slinky at close aren't options.

I normally only do FOP first thing on EMH morniings, but, I have gotten in line twice in the evenings on the past two trips because I had time to wait. Both times lines were posted at 120 Minutes, the first time I waited 72 minutes, the second 63. So, while its posted at 120, I have yet to wait that long in the stand by line.

Our AK day is an EMH day; 7 am. Would you suggest us riding it then? Are the crowds as bananas during EMH as they are rope drop?

I'd at least try after you get your other priorities. No harm in looking. :) If not, then get in line just before the park closes. That was our plan (we planned a trip 8 days before we left so no FoP available) but we ended up snagging a FoP same day FP while sitting at dinner that day- 6 or 7 FP in for the day. If we hadn't, though, we were going to go to RoL at 8:45 that night and then head over to FoP before the park closed at 9:30.

If you don't get one, I'd go for Na'vi, EE, and the Safari.

Wow, thats some good luck!!! Thank you for the FP+ plan for AK. Is a FP+ not really necessary for Kali River? Its one of my fella's favorite for some odd reason. He just loves all of AK.

It is crazy that those are the only rides in that tier. NR is not worth a FP. We did it once and would do it again to get out of the heat if it were a walk on. I would try for FOP and if you can't then take NR. We are not rope drop people either - we love staying late.

Ok cool, thanks! I read about ppl trying for FoP for everyday of their trip. Thoughts on that? I am really liking our itinerary.

You shouldn't have a lot of trouble getting a 7DMT fastpass. When I booked mine, I did FOP, then Slinky Dog, then 7DMT. There were the fewest options for Slinky Dog, several options for FOP later in the day (which will work with your schedule), and lots of options for 7DMT. You will probably will be able to get all 3. :)

That would be wonderful! pixiedust: And if by some small miracle, we would forgo Tusker House and eat at Boma earlier if we score a FoP FP+ during our Tusker time.

Definitely try for the FP. If SDD is your top priority, go for that one first, then FOP then SDMT. You shouldn't have an issue with SDMT. If you can't get FOP, get in line 20-30 min before park closing and the wait should be reasonable.

That sounds like a great plan. I think FoP is the priority....I am glad people are having good luck with 7DMT. I love Snow White.

Thanks again everyone for the replies. :)

Can you have more than one person book FPs? When we made our FPs I went for FOP while DH went for 7DMT. We each used our own phone and it let us do it that way. It's a quick and easy way to get multiple booked at once.

You're not going to lose anything trying to get a FP for FoP. I would try and if you can't get one, then go to plan B and get in line 15 minutes before the park closes.

I've gotten in line five minutes before closing at FoP on a few different trips- always averages about a one hour wait. It is constantly moving though so it is not a big deal. I would still try for FP. You may want to ride it then and again at closing!

When I booked mine (for the week of Memorial Day), I did FOP first, Frozen second, and had no problems getting SDMT third. Since SDMT has been out for a few years now, you might be fine booking it 3rd.

If I skip trying to obtain FoP FP+ in AK, which 3 should I try for? Na'vi River, EE, and ?
HAving done FOP and Navi - I would choose FOP with out a doubt. So if it were me i would choose EE and FOP. Navi is beautiful but extrememly short and not worth wasting a FP. I rode Navi on a special party night and we only waited 20 minutes -- it was not worth that wait but if you want to ride it maybe hit Navi at park opening (as most are going towards FOP) or hitting it at park close.

Hopefully you have put your HS day towards the end of your trip because i feel with it being the big new thing, it will be tough to get that FP at the early 60+1-3 days of your trip.

I do agree with some of the PP who mentioned the inflated wait times at the end of the night. Even at that AK night time party -- the CM's and the posted time for FOP were stating an hour -- my son and I decided to just go ahead and wait because the ride was that amazing that we had to ride it again. Well it was only about 20 minutes and we were already into the first room. So don't believe the signs -- even if you can get in line at 8:58 for a 9pm closing -- you will get on the ride with likely a shorter wait than any other time of the day.

Can you have more than one person book FPs? When we made our FPs I went for FOP while DH went for 7DMT. We each used our own phone and it let us do it that way. It's a quick and easy way to get multiple booked at once.

No but thats a great idea. DH's CM AP was a pain to link; I can just imagine him having his own. LOL. Plus we are west coast so thats what, 4 am to book FP+.

You're not going to lose anything trying to get a FP for FoP. I would try and if you can't get one, then go to plan B and get in line 15 minutes before the park closes.

Oh yes for sure. After we get what we want so to speak, I am sure I'll stalk MDE hourly. :blush: I've woken up twice in a panic thinking I missed FP+ morning. Pathetic.

I've gotten in line five minutes before closing at FoP on a few different trips- always averages about a one hour wait. It is constantly moving though so it is not a big deal. I would still try for FP. You may want to ride it then and again at closing!

The line is constantly moving? I know very little about the ride. Good info, thanks!

When I booked mine (for the week of Memorial Day), I did FOP first, Frozen second, and had no problems getting SDMT third. Since SDMT has been out for a few years now, you might be fine booking it 3rd.

I forgot about Frozen being hard to get.......glad to know 7DMT is not that difficult to get. I think what has me sorta stressed planning on no rope drops and no parks after dinner/drinks aside from our AK day. I guess I can modify w=once we get our FPs but I am really happy with our dining plans.

HAving done FOP and Navi - I would choose FOP with out a doubt. So if it were me i would choose EE and FOP. Navi is beautiful but extrememly short and not worth wasting a FP. I rode Navi on a special party night and we only waited 20 minutes -- it was not worth that wait but if you want to ride it maybe hit Navi at park opening (as most are going towards FOP) or hitting it at park close.

Hopefully you have put your HS day towards the end of your trip because i feel with it being the big new thing, it will be tough to get that FP at the early 60+1-3 days of your trip.

I do agree with some of the PP who mentioned the inflated wait times at the end of the night. Even at that AK night time party -- the CM's and the posted time for FOP were stating an hour -- my son and I decided to just go ahead and wait because the ride was that amazing that we had to ride it again. Well it was only about 20 minutes and we were already into the first room. So don't believe the signs -- even if you can get in line at 8:58 for a 9pm closing -- you will get on the ride with likely a shorter wait than any other time of the day.

DHS is the last day of our trip, AK first, then Epcot, then MK. We don't have parks planned the day we arrive or the day we leave. I suppose they could be options. I am not a great traveler (nerves) so doing anything major on departure day stresses me out. I like to be places, I don't like to get places if that makes sense. :crazy:

Thats sort of what I was counting on with FoP; going at the end, hoping for inflated wait times. Disneyland does it too; can't say I blame them really.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter