DLP in Ca or MK in FL?

• Disneyland

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Magic Kingdom

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

DoomBugger

<font color=teal>Have another turkey leg buddy...<
I will admit, being from Los Angeles County I have been going to DLP since I was a year old... having been an estimated 400+ times. MKP I have spent two week long trips at (and the three other Florida parks) once in 2004 and just a couple of weeks ago. This is not about DLR v WDW; just the two Disneyland / Magic Kingdom parks.

Also, I must say... I love both parks and will be doing a “10 reasons why MKP is better than DLP” thread as well.

In no particular order, here are 10 reasons why DLP is better:

1) DLP is the only Disney park in the world that Walt himself oversaw the development and building of... and walked it’s corridors and enjoyed it’s attractions... and saw the magical look both children and their parents felt. Somewhere... everywhere in Disneyland Park that intangible lives on, you can feel it.

2) The Matterhorn. First, it’s an icon that is just fun to have by your side as you traverse the park. Also, it’s a roller coaster and even if you find the ride itself a bit rough and antiquated, that only adds to it’s charm. Just walking by it and hearing a chorus of screams, waterfalls, coaster cars screeching through turns and the occassional Yeti roar all mixed together makes a visit to Disneyland that much better. The point is, you don’t have to like the ride or even go on it to take in the greatness that is The Matterhorn!

3) The Hat Box Ghost. In DL’s Haunted Mansion an old ghost, going back to the original days of the attraction has returned to frighten and mesmerize, the infamous Hat Box Ghost. Right after you leave the attic and go into the cemetary he appears... then, his head vanishes and reappears in the hat box he is holding. It’s a splendid display and it took the imagineers over 40 years to perfect. It was worth the wait! Unfortunately, and to my surprise The Hat Box Ghost has not been added to MK’s Haunted Mansion. Boo.

4) It’s a Small World. At DLP Small World is grand, it has it’s own area essentially. The entrance area is huge with plenty to look at... even the DLRR trains pass through. At MK Small World is a throw in at Fantasyland... you could walk right by it if you suddenly got severe brain freeze from a Mickey slushy it is so obscure.

5) The Columbia Sailing Ship. Again, a piece of Disney and American history all in one. A replica of the first US vessel to circumnavigate the globe, Walt’s tribute ship still hits The Rivers of America with a bombastic crew of castmembers, much as she did when Columbia first launched back in 1958. And don’t forget to go below deck, you really get an idea of what life navigating the high seas was like in the late 1700s.

6) Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom. Adventureland at MK just is not the same, without that E ticket attraction, with all of it’s theming and immersiveness. The ride is fun, and feels like an experience that few Disney attractions surpass. MK’s Adventureland is less adventurous in it’s absence.

7) Space Mountain. DL’s version is quicker and more fluid, although I will concede that the theming at MK gets the upper hand with The Peoplemover passing through and the exit area displays. Nonetheless, Space Mountain at Disneyland, as a roller coaster is a better ride.

8) The Blue Bayou Restaurant & Pirates of The Caribbean. Nothing beats lunch or dinner at The Blue Bayou, as it’s tied into the theming and loading area for The Pirates of The Caribbean ride. Even if the menu doesn't do it for you, the atmosphere is second to none as far as dining at DL, Club 33 not included. Also, Pirates at DL is a bit longer and has a better water drop.

9) The Monorail. Sure, Florida has a true transit network with Monorails in Florida, but they only take you to the entrance of MK. DLP The Monorail is an attraction you can ride as a loop from Tomorrowland, or go from Downtown Disney into DL or vise versa. Plus, it’s just fun having the mighty Mark Series Monorails towering above you, honking their air horns as you enter the land of tomorrow.

10) The Submarines. It’s too bad MK deleted their underwater adventure attraction... 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea back in 1994, but at DL The Submarines live on. They were near death at one point and the current Nemo theming is alright, but it is such a unique attraction as you climb into a replica submarine and it looks so good as you pass by it. An attraction like this is sorely missing at MK... if even for aesthetic reasons.

Since MK was built with the knowledge of all they learned with DL for 15 years one refinement was having wider walkways. This is nice, but all the structures, landscaping (trees) and attractions are farther apart and often not woven together as creatively. DL seems more visually engrossing.

Thanks for reading and thanks for any comments!

10 reasons why MK is better is next.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter