10 Things (A list reminiscent of something Mark Twain might write)

PHD

Registered
I'm not a Disney blogger, Disboard contributor, editor, assistant editor, associate editor, junior editor, editor in training, or a member of the disunplugged team (oh how nice THAT would be!). But here it is... the top obscure things that I miss about Disney:

1) The absolutely filthy foot of the pirate sitting above you in "that scene" of POC. I almost can't stand to look up, as I'm convinced that something is going to someday fall in my mouth.
2) The beautiful smell of the water rides, which is simply bromine, used because it is less caustic than chorine in keeping the water clean.
3) This is never coming back, but the fountain at EPCOT, especially when it was synced to Christmas music.
4) The smell of popcorn, even if it being pumped in.
5) Getting frustrated with scooters, people stopping just to look at a map in the MIDDLE OF A WALKWAY... and yes, I dare to say, those tour groups. Sometimes I just love being angry!
6) The feel of Hollywood Studios. Don't get me wrong: I love MK above all else, but there is just a "feel" walking down HS as you enter. It is less crowded and there is almost a relaxing atmosphere with the lack of crowds and the ambiance of music.
7) The almost religious thumping of the entrance music at Animal Kingdom.
8) There is a castle that exists that has a special room in it reserved for the most special (richest) of guests. You can see its three windows from Fantasyland. I often look at those windows and wish that I could see that room... NO: STAY IN THAT ROOM!
9) Ummmm.. Mickey ice cream bars?
10) The feeling of driving to Epcot and seeing the "ball" as I park and walk to the entrance. Sure, EPCOT is a work in progress right now, but it is iconic only secondary to the Magic Kingdom.

So, there it is... what are your obscure memories (and let's keep Discovery Island out of this... we know what happened there this week!

And, DIS team, if you are looking for a contributor, let me know. I have a modest fee of $7,518.00 per blog, per word, per hour.

Hope you all know that was a joke!

Last edited:
Our family also mentions the smell of the water rides. We also miss the music coming into Epcot, the gross cheese at Cosmic Rays and drinking a beer while sweating to death outside of the Brown Derby. Honestly, we just miss it all!!!

8) There is a castle that exists that has a special room in it reserved for the most special (richest) of guests. You can see its three windows from Fantasyland. I often look at those windows and wish that I could see that room... NO: STAY IN THAT ROOM!

I like your list, however the room described above is the Disney Dream Suite and it cannot be bought. It is only offered for special promotions or to special guests (granted who are likely to be rich). It was given away as part of the "Year of a Million Dreams" a while back. I think it has sometimes been auctioned off for charity, which you might consider as being sold, but no profit was ever made. The suite is considered very, very special, as is the version at Disneyland that is above Pirates of the Caribbean.

Last edited:

I'll play....

1. Making my coffee/hot chocolate mix in the food court at Pop and then dodging people as we head out to the buses. Dare I say even WAITING for the bus? There is just something about that early morning scent.

2. Riding under that Walt Disney World sign. First day, fourth, seventh…. I will always giggle and clap as we go by.

3. The castle on our first day at MK. Walking RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE OF MAIN ST USA (as much as possible) because that is what must be done on our first day back.

4. CRYING as we walk towards the castle. We cry as we come in on our first day and cry as we leave on our last.

5. The dark coolness when inside the Mexico Pavilion. The empanadas, churros and margaritas while sitting around the lake.

6. Trash talking with my kids in line for TSM and making bets as to who is going to win. I very rarely lose but for some reason I am always the one making good on those bets!

7. Going into Basin and washing our hands 5000x using different scents of scrubs.

8. Feeling “sneaky” in the single rider line of Everest and riding over and over again because the line is usually so short.

9. I am not a dancer, but I have been known to shimmy a bit in Harambe when the drums are going. My kids find this hysterical and embarrassing, but how can you NOT move to those drums?

10. My final is our favorite tradition ever. Getting ice cream from The Plaza minutes before closing and sitting at our hidden spot while waiting for the park to clear out. Then casually strolling to our chariot that is super close because it is so late and we are the only ones left.

Now I am crying. We are booked for July, but have no idea if the parks will be open, which makes us even more desperate to go. Disney vlogs are what we have been binging on lately.

I'll play....

1. Making my coffee/hot chocolate mix in the food court at Pop and then dodging people as we head out to the buses. Dare I say even WAITING for the bus? There is just something about that early morning scent.

We have lived in Florida for about 2 years. You're right about that early morning "something." Maybe it's the cooler air that you KNOW is going to succumb to outright miserable heat and humidity.

I've only been to Disneyland once and only for 2 days for the first time two years ago... what is above Pirates?

There is a "Dream Suite" above POTC that overlooks New Orleans Square. You can watch Fantasmic! from it if you are lucky enough to be invited to stay there. Like the suite in Cinderella's Castle it is generally for promotional use/invitation only and is highly themed. If you remember the elevator in part of the POTC queue that wraps around the side, that is how the suite is accessed. There are some videos and such that show off the inside.

1. I miss the smell of the resorts. All those flowers? We like to go in the winter and we're travelling from Pennsylvania and it's usually freezing and snowy in January and then we pull up to the resort and get off the bus and there's sunlight and it smells like summer! It's magical.

2. That first walk up main street. On my first visit as an adult we timed it just right, it was a little after rope drop so the entrance was cleared out and we were able to get a ride on a carriage and then the Dapper Dans hopped on and serenaded us down Main Street. It's never happened again on any trip but I think about it every time we walk down main street and it's such a happy memory.

3. Waiting in lines. There's usually some friendly person to talk to, and my kids and I are talking about stuff together. That's kind of a miracle because they usually have their faces pointed down at their phones!

4. Waiting for the bus. I'm one of those weird people that likes riding the buses to get around. We live in a rural community and there's no public transportation, it's nice not to have the hassle of driving myself.

5. Hanging on Tom Sawyer Island, my happy place. I feel like a kid again. Specifically exploring the caves and sitting on the bench by the playground in the middle of the island.

6. My second favorite place to hang out is the Mexico pavilion. I miss the smells and the sky. I think I could sit there all day if my kids would let me!

7. That one part of the People Mover where you travel through Space Mountain.

8. The recording that plays on the monorail :)

9. The way it feels on every trip the very first time you sample one of the Mickey-themed treats--like a mickey pretzel or mickey ice cream bar. I can't explain why but it's so stinking fun biting into Mickey's head for the first time.

10. Experiencing the magic through my kids' eyes.

4. Waiting for the bus. I'm one of those weird people that likes riding the buses to get around. We live in a rural community and there's no public transportation, it's nice not to have the hassle of driving myself.

Some of my best memories are the busses (Riding exhausted at the end of the day, and the themed resort music as you pull in.) It kind of makes living an hour away disappointing, as we have no reason to do this anymore.

8. The recording that plays on the monorail :)

Especially the Spanish part! And no, I'm not of spanish or mexican descent. “¡Por favor manténgase alejado de las puertas!”

Enjoying reading through these vividly described lists...it's like a little mini-trip back each time.

I have a ton myself, but one I'll mention is something we tried just last year for first time: touring the fort wilderness campground decorations during Halloween week. Just walking and admiring the decorating creativity - such a fun, relaxing night.

Love the lists! Mine would be many of the same things - including that first pass under the arch at the beginning of the trip, and that "morning feeling" waiting for the bus each day.

I'll add the Mickey relief statute at the Orlando airport:

This pic is just from the internet, but we've always taken one of DS there on trips, and it makes a neat sort of growth chart in the photo album!

This is difficult, as you named so many good ones OP!

1. Riding the monorail at the airport. No, it's not Disney per se-but for us, that's when the magic begins.
2. the sparkly fiber optic pavement at Epcot as you walk towards the exits. I suppose they're gone now with the construction?
3. Getting up so early in the morning after going to bed so late at night, but it's a good tired. I'll sleep when I get home!
4. Coming back to your resort after a loooooooong day at the parks, when they shut the lights out and everyone sits in tired, satisfied silence. Then, the groan that goes up from everyone when the bus lights suddenly come back up.
5. Rainy days at the Magic Kingdom, we love them. Crowds down and cooler weather until the sun comes back out.
6. Poking around in the shops, even if you don't plan to buy.
7. The Funnel Cake in Liberty Square- only one snack credit and it easily feeds two, and it's to die for.
8. Riding It's A Small World. I know, I know. But that's the moment we look at each other and say, "We're really here!"
9. Finding a cool place to sit and people-watch while you attempt to rest your feet for a few minutes.
10. Getting a bit of Pixie Dust from a CM. Once, everyone currently in line at one of the food wagons in Frontierland (including us) were told they could have free Mickey-shaped pretzels. Maybe there was simply something wrong with the register, but for us it was Pixie Dust!

p.s. I also like the smell of Florida water, even in the shower at the hotel. I know they don't use bromide in the hotel water, but it has it's own unique scent.

Welcome to the dis, PHD. Nice list! And the other lists are great also.

I always love how the background music slowly, unnoticeably changes as you walk from place to place, everywhere. I miss the comforting 'thump' of the trash can doors closing after a deposit. And that the pressure to open them is exactly the same regardless which trashcan you are using antwhere on property. Sadly, COVID has taken away those doors. :(

These are all good. We drive in from VA and usually arrive at the resort mid-day. Some of my favorite things are passing under the welcome sign (as others have mentioned), seeing Spaceship Earth on our way to check-in at our resort, and the feeling that I get in the parks (whichever one we start with) that first afternoon - especially as it seems like bonus time prior to our first full day. I should also say that the Future World music has a special place in my heart - especially the first time I hear it. I am worried that they will not use that anymore.

I feel a little terrible right now. I wasn't asking for 10 per person... just whatever you could come up with!
Don't feel bad, coming up with 10 was fun and I'm sure the Disney lovers here can easily come up with more! And after making my list I pulled out a couple of our Disney photo albums and the kids and I strolled down memory lane so THANK YOU!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter