13 Year old gir declared brain dead has now officially died

rickybobby

Please bring back Tapestry of Nations
Sad case of the tonsillectomy gone bad. Wonder what are people's thoughts about whether she should be kept on ventilator or not?
Proves the old saying "there is no such thing as minor surgery".

What a sad situation. A decision that only the parents should be allowed to make, hopefully without any intervention from courts and guardian ad liters etc.

Sad case of the tonsillectomy gone bad. Wonder what are people's thoughts about whether she should be kept on ventilator or not?

My only thought is her family isn't being realistic and I'm not a big proponent of "pulling the plug" as there are instances where it's done when someone isn't brain dead, but just on feeding tubes in a vegetative state, comatose, etc. And done with court orders. Not the same thing. All surgery has risks, regardless of how routine it is. This is a very rare complication for most surgeries. Her family was apparently told there were risks. Apparently her brain is completely inactive but her family won't accept it. I feel for them all, but they're just prolonging the inevitable.

Forgot the rule!

And I will not answer the question, as my opinion doesn't matter.

I think this is a very sad situation but that the family is just prolonging the situation. The grandmother is a nurse so you would think that she could get through to the parents.

If the brain is not active, I wonder if the body can still carry out bodily functions such as bowel movements?

Still not following?

The rule is. Someone starts a thread (in this case you). The first person who answers/responds "quotes" the original post when responding. That way, what was originally posted "stays" in the thread. It prevents the original post from being changed in case the original poster doesn't like the answers or decides to change something without others knowing. In this case, your first post should have been quoted in the first response.

My thoughts are that it's a sad situation, but the family is in denial and needs to let her go. I'd hate for this to be a Terri Schiavo case where she spends FIFTEEN YEARS in a vegetative state before they decide to remove life support.

My thoughts are that it's a sad situation, but the family is in denial and needs to let her go. I'd hate for this to be a Terri Schiavo case where she spends FIFTEEN YEARS in a vegetative state before they decide to remove life support.

Completely different situation. Terry Schaivo was NOT brain dead. They didn't remove life support, they removed her feeding tube which starved her to death. This current situation involves someone who would die in a matter of minutes if she was taken off a ventilator. Terry Schiavo wasn't on a ventilator. She was merely being fed through a feeding tube.

Completely different situation. Terry Schaivo was NOT brain dead. They didn't remove life support, they removed her feeding tube which starved her to death. This current situation involves someone who would die in a matter of minutes if she was taken off a ventilator. Terry Schiavo wasn't on a ventilator. She was merely being fed through a feeding tube.

Very true. This case is MUCH more clear in my opinion.

The poster did not say they were the same. They only stated that they hope it did not drag on like the Schiavo case. Which brings me back to my original contention, if the brain is dead, can the body continue to live on with artificial life support?
And please, no more rules.

The poster did not say they were the same. They only stated that they hope it did not drag on like the Schiavo case. Which brings me back to my original contention, if the brain is dead, can the body continue to live on with artificial life support?
And please, no more rules.

There was only one "rule'. And the poster said "vegetative state" which isn't the same. Anyway, no if someone is brain dead, they cannot survive without artificial life support. Without brain activity, breathing will cease as will heart beats. Just do a search on brain dead/death and you will get your answers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter