13 Year old gir declared brain dead has now officially died

Yes. And her organs at the time of her death could have been given to help others live, that would have been a wonderful way to honor her life, and have parts of her live on.
Especially with her only being 13, other CHILDREN are waiting for organs to become available.

And what is up with this judge? A death certificate was issued and Jahi had to meet certain criteria for that to happen.

Is a real Doctor going to testify that he has examined her, have it in video that she is alive?

Will Mama Nails have to pay back all that medicaid if the jury rules she is dead?

Will the family do right by this young girl's vessel and let it off the machines if jury finds her dead or will this go to a higher court?

It's kind of a quirk in New Jersey law. There was an orthodox Jewish boy hooked up to a respirator and his parents didn't want to let him go. New Jersey has that exception, so they may not be tied to a California death certificate, although the Full Faith and Credit Clause could be invoked since a determination of death is considered a public act.

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.​

It's kind of a quirk in New Jersey law. There was an orthodox Jewish boy hooked up to a respirator and his parents didn't want to let him go. New Jersey has that exception, so they may not be tied to a California death certificate, although the Full Faith and Credit Clause could be invoked since a determination of death is considered a public act.

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.​

Yea Mama Nails moved there because of that quirk. Interesting to see and hopefully jury is smart to understand that she has passed on, the family won't be able to get the oodles of money as if she were still alive.

I can't imagine (and I found my mom passed away here at the house) to have her playing make believe alive hooked up to things.

Saw this tonight on Facebook (not sure why tonight as the article is a month old.) I haven't kept up with this story on my own, just through the occasional updates on this thread. But this article is interesting and thought provoking. I thought some of you might like to read it.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/...-die&kwp_0=712106&kwp_4=2522474&kwp_1=1068749
Interesting and thought provoking? LOL Nope. She’s been dead for years. The only thing this shows is that her family are racist and money hungry.

Interesting and thought provoking? LOL Nope. She’s been dead for years. The only thing this shows is that her family are racist and money hungry.
Wow! Money hungry?? Considering their child died from a routine medical procedure, there is no amount of $ that would be too much! Racist?? There are several studies (which the article kind of mentions) that show that African-American patients often receive subpar medical care & their concerns are often dismissed despite their insurance type. Sure she’s been dead but it’s really sad that anyone would think the article is not at least thought-provoking.

Wow! Money hungry?? Considering their child died from a routine medical procedure, there is no amount of $ that would be too much! Racist?? There are several studies (which the article kind of mentions) that show that African-American patients often receive subpar medical care & their concerns are often dismissed despite their insurance type. Sure she’s been dead but it’s really sad that anyone would think the article is not at least thought-provoking.

Yes, there's alot more to this article than this specific case.
*African-Americans are more likely to not receive the care they need regardless of income and type of insurance.
*African-Americans are more likely to request that their families be kept alive... Perhaps because they felt that their family member didn't receive proper care, that the diagnosis of brain death could have been avoided...
*The history of how we came to define death and brain death. Is it still the correct definition? Maybe. Maybe not. It is something I had not spent much time thinking about before, and now I am thinking about that.
*The impact these discussions have on organ donation. Organ donation is So Important. If we change the definition of "death" and leave people on a ventilator until their heart stops on it's own, those organs will be lost and other people will die. At the same time, it is vital that the public believes in the integrity in the process.

I'm not interested in discussing the ins and outs of these different topics with this DIS (I've seen how that goes! :rotfl:) I'm saying the article has caused me to consider these issues. I shared the article for other DISers who might like to read it.

Yep, they are absolutely in it for the money and their own statements show how racist they are.

I'm very confused as to how they could be racist.

And if they are in it for the money, well, I understand that. I would also want financial compensation in a case like this.

I don't see how you could possibly be confused. They made it all about the big, bad hospital not taking care of the little, sick, black girl. The family have made it racial from the very beginning.

I don't see how you could possibly be confused. They made it all about the big, bad hospital not taking care of the little, sick, black girl. The family have made it racial from the very beginning.

Never mind that this is a hospital in a predominantly black city with a predominantly black group of patients. They ignore that and imply that of all the black children in that hospital, it treated this black child differently because she was black. Right. I am generally quite sympathetic to racial injustice, but in this case, Jahai's treatment has nothing to do with race. To make it racial is sad. That child has been dead for years....it is unbelievably sad to carry on this charade.

In it for the $$?? So they should just shrug their shoulders & day well mistakes happen??? Ooops!
Of course not. But, under California law, the family is entitled to a much lesser amount of money for the medical mistake that happened (if indeed there was one....remember, we get to hear only one side of this story because the hospital is forbidden from responding to all the claims made by the family because the family has conveniently not released it from the duty of patient confidentiality, while the family carries on telling ONLY it's side of the story) when she is dead than they would be if she was "alive" but severely damaged. It's all about the amount of money now. The family gets money either way IF they prove negligence....it's just that "alive" scenario nets them much, much more money.

Wow! Denial must be nice. Wish I had the opportunity to live in whatever world you live! There have been studies nationwide that show they often get subpar treatment. AND, the “big bad hospital” did NOT take good care of her whether it was b/c of race or not. She died b/c a routine surgery! That’s absolutely outrageous!! I wouldn’t ever be satisfied with the outcome ever it that happened to my child!

Never mind that this is a hospital in a predominantly black city with a predominantly black group of patients. They ignore that and imply that of all the black children in that hospital, it treated this black child differently because she was black. Right. I am generally quite sympathetic to racial injustice, but in this case, Jahai's treatment has nothing to do with race. To make it racial is sad. That child has been dead for years....it is unbelievably sad to carry on this charade.
Maybe. But were the doctors & hospital administrators black? I don’t know in this case, but here, even when the population served is, the staff usually aren’t. And what does it matter how they feel?? Why are ppl so threatened by the family’s opinions? This is the mom’s/family’s experience. They have the right to feel however they do. They have very likely encountered racism through their lives so it’s probably hard not to see everything through that lens if you see them. If ppl just tried a little to themselves in other ppl’s shoes every now & then, this world would be a better place!

Wow! Denial must be nice. Wish I had the opportunity to live in whatever world you live! There have been studies nationwide that show they often get subpar treatment. AND, the “big bad hospital” did NOT take good care of her whether it was b/c of race or not. She died b/c a routine surgery! That’s absolutely outrageous!! I wouldn’t ever be satisfied with the outcome ever it that happened to my child!
That can happen in any hospital with the very best care. There is ALWAYS that risk no matter how routine, no matter the race... You are dealing with a living body and they can have complications especially when anesthesia is administered.

I'm not denying the racism claims. I don't know what this family may or may not have experienced but I do know the statistics. Just saying I don't think that has any bearing on the surgery.

It wasn't a routine surgery. Because of Jahai's weight, it was a much more complicated surgery. Part of the "big lie" perpetuated by the family is that this was "routine." No "routine" tonsillectomy takes 4 hours. When I was a kid, and had one, it took less than 20 minutes. And, we do not know if the "big bad hospital" failed to take adequate care of her. All we know is the family's version of events. I guarantee you there is another side. But, the hospital cannot tell you it's side. Sometimes, no matter what care is delivered to a patient, they die...even during "routine" surgeries, even when excellent care is given. This is why patients (or their representatives) sign consent forms for surgery spelling out the risks. Jahai is not the only child to die after a tonsillectomy. Heck, people die as the result of "routine" diagnostic testing (colonoscopies come to mind). It does not mean anything "wrong" was done.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!