16 year old DD wants to be an Imagineer, What Next?

Laz

DIS Veteran
My 16 year old DD has wanted to work for Disney all her life. Now that she is getting close to College, she has to choose a major and a University. She is a high honor roll student in a honors program and has never gotten below an "A" in any subject. She has exceptional skills in Math and Music. She is an accomplished percussionist who has won state level gold medals in mallets and percussion ensembles. How should she proceed? What major should she take in college? WHERE SHOULD SHE BEGIN??? :confused3

I guess what it boils down to, is what should she do to ensure that she has the best chance for success with a Disney career?

Hmmm...it's hard to say because Disney Imagineers have very diverse backgrounds. It depends a lot on what kind of Imagineer she wants to be...what she actually wants to do. Imagineer is a very broad term. That's my career goal as well. I will graduate in December with a BFA in Theatre Design/Technology(Scenic and Costume). I've studied all aspects of this: design(naturally), drafting, CAD, rendering, Scenic construction, scenic art(a favorite!), costume construction, lighting technology, and the list goes on... Anyhow, I feel that my theatre education was the best plan for me and the areas I'm interested in working with Imagineering on the most. So, I'd say hone in on what she's most interested in doing first... that will narrow the choices a bit.

This is probably generic advice, and I'm really no expert...not yet, anyway ;)

Completely depends on what kind of Imagineer. I'm sure they're going to be increasingly in the need for people with robotics backgrounds though.

Take working for Disney completely out of the equation. Now... what does she want to do? Does she wish to follow a career in music, something in mathematics, or maybe she could combine the two, studying sound waves. If she really has no idea, go in as an undeclared, allow her to see what there is and then transfer into that major, it may add another year, but you only go to college once and she should take advantage of all that is available to her.

Now as for working for imagineering, there is no one direct route that leads right to a job with that division of the company. You can ask a hundred different imagineers on how they got started with the company, and I promise you that you'll get a hundred different answers. A good link on all of this is at http://homepage.mac.com/wlwesq/Imagineering/ The page may seem a little dated, but the information is still very relevant.

1) Good advice about forgetting about Disney - for the moment.
2) Concentrate on the profession and education for that profession.
3) THEN, contact Disney and see if the profession can apply.
4) There are spots from computers to engineering to theater arts to art.

NOTE: The are usually several people applying for every single professional job at Disney, and Disney has its pick of applicants. Betting everything on Disney might lead to disappointment.

Once in college she should also look into doing the Disney College Program for one semester. Then, closer to college graduation, she should take note of the offerings for Disney Internships. Hopefully she will find one that interests her and she can apply for that.
Disney likes to promote from within ~ So it's a huge benefit to her to already have her foot in the door at Disney by having done the CP/Internship.

SweaterInJune said:
Hmmm...it's hard to say because Disney Imagineers have very diverse backgrounds. It depends a lot on what kind of Imagineer she wants to be...what she actually wants to do. Imagineer is a very broad term. That's my career goal as well. I will graduate in December with a BFA in Theatre Design/Technology(Scenic and Costume). I've studied all aspects of this: design(naturally), drafting, CAD, rendering, Scenic construction, scenic art(a favorite!), costume construction, lighting technology, and the list goes on... Anyhow, I feel that my theatre education was the best plan for me and the areas I'm interested in working with Imagineering on the most. So, I'd say hone in on what she's most interested in doing first... that will narrow the choices a bit.

This is probably generic advice, and I'm really no expert...not yet, anyway ;)

I see you're from Morgantown. Just wanted to say Hey fellow Mountaineer... anyway, I'm assuming you go to WVU.. :blush:

This is an interesting topic to see, because my DD16 wants to intern at AK.

She wants to major in Zoology and she keeps asking me about how she should go about getting the info. I'm totally clueless!

It would be a cool opportunity for her!

She'll intern here in Houston if she has to, but for her, that would be the ultimate place.

Am_I_There_Yet said:
This is an interesting topic to see, because my DD16 wants to intern at AK.

She wants to major in Zoology and she keeps asking me about how she should go about getting the info. I'm totally clueless!

It would be a cool opportunity for her!

She'll intern here in Houston if she has to, but for her, that would be the ultimate place.

Info on Disney College Program and Internships ......
http://corporate.disney.go.com/careers/students.html

Hello, Hello! Yes, I do go to WVU. Graduate in December! :) Then I'm off to Disney for the CP and hopefully a career...we'll see where I end up!

ok well im 16 i also want to become one. ok the first thing i did was i went to a book store and got the following books The Imagineering Feild Guide to the Magic Kingdom and The Imagineering Feild Guide to Animal Kingdom and it gives a rundown on SOME of the 140 jobs and i already know what i want to do it is called R&D ( Research and Design) they get to play with all the toys :teeth: :teeth: but yes look for those book the are really going to help

big_ol_lineman said:
ok well im 16 i also want to become one. ok the first thing i did was i went to a book store and got the following books The Imagineering Feild Guide to the Magic Kingdom and The Imagineering Feild Guide to Animal Kingdom and it gives a rundown on SOME of the 140 jobs and i already know what i want to do it is called R&D ( Research and Design) they get to play with all the toys :teeth: :teeth: but yes look for those book the are really going to help

Sorry to pick on you, R&D is Research and Developement not Research and Design, The Imagineering Field Guide to Animal Kingdom does not exist yet if you're talking about the Imagineering Field Guide series I believe you're talking about, theres two books in the series so far The Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom and The Imagineering Field Guide to EPCOT, one would be::
0786855533.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Some things that I would reccommend, since I also wish to be an Imagineer in the future, when I went to Walt Disney World over the past summer, I did a Lunch with an Imagineer and it was great, recieved great information from the guy, his name was Eric Goodman. Good Design colleges that Imagineering recruits from is Ringling School of Art and Design and CalArts, if she decides to go into that area. A book that I would recommend would be
0786883723.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Walt Disney Imagineering: A Look Behind the Magic, amazing book, I've read it multiple times and would reccommend it.

not offended it was 1:30 in the morning and i was tired but yea you know what i mean yea and that is the book

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter