181 Days Out is Not Too Soon to Start Packing Is It?

This all helped to put into perspective that I don't want to hurry life along to get to the fall and this trip. It will come in time. Now, you may think that this would have lessened my need to plan, but, in reality, it just sharpened my understanding of why I plan. It's not to hurry the trip up, but to extend it, to enjoy it for as long as possible, to have 179 days of cruise related fun before the main event.
I agree. Planning to me is part of the trip. If I can't be on a trip, I love to be planning one (usually more than one!) When we went on our Southern Caribbean cruise in January, the guy that checked us in at our hotel in San Juan said, "Wow! You booked this a LONG time ago!" I research the hotels I want for a place and stalk their site until the the first possible day to book for my date. I don't want to take a chance on missing out on the hotel that I really want! I also research port excursions like crazy, looking at every possible way to do the excursions that I really want. I don't do spreadsheets though. I just have tons of sticky notes on my computer.

So we're the only ones who know we want to go on a cruise in a couple of years but have no idea of the where, when, which ship? :P

I am a planner too, but I try to make it easy as possible. My Google doc packing list is the best-basics for any trip, with additional pages for our usual trips - WDW, camping, other resorts, and now DCL.

I also have a bin of Disney stuff that I keep handy with stuff we pretty much only use for Disney trips.

Planning is half the fun!

Super planner here!! :smooth:
My family loves the trips I plan but hate hearing about the plans so I do it without discussing it! Drives me crazy... so I come to the boards and FB!

It is just now starting to sink in that cruise doesn't equal Caribbean and that I can't simply stuff some shorts, tee-shirts, sundresses and a pirate costume into a suitcase and be on my happy way! My day off was Thursday and I decided I had to go up to that Outlet Mall THAT MINUTE to shop end-of-season sales on fall/winter clothes.

Found so much fun clearance stuff at Marshalls that I never even stopped at any of the Outlet shops. I had Panera for lunch, because I can't drive by one and not stop in for that Blood Orange Lemonade, or whatever it is, and, was finally on my way home. As I was driving I started to tick off the days of the cruise and what possible outfits I would want. As I am staring at my sleeve, I start to think how to describe it on my packing list spreadsheet page. And that's when it pops in my head -- I can just take pictures of everything!

So, yup, I am waiting for my next day off to lay out my clothes and photograph them! At least it is an excuse to clean out my closet!

It is just now starting to sink in that cruise doesn't equal Caribbean and that I can't simply stuff some shorts, tee-shirts, sundresses and a pirate costume into a suitcase and be on my happy way! My day off was Thursday and I decided I had to go up to that Outlet Mall THAT MINUTE to shop end-of-season sales on fall/winter clothes.

Found so much fun clearance stuff at Marshalls that I never even stopped at any of the Outlet shops. I had Panera for lunch, because I can't drive by one and not stop in for that Blood Orange Lemonade, or whatever it is, and, was finally on my way home. As I was driving I started to tick off the days of the cruise and what possible outfits I would want. As I am staring at my sleeve, I start to think how to describe it on my packing list spreadsheet page. And that's when it pops in my head -- I can just take pictures of everything!

So, yup, I am waiting for my next day off to lay out my clothes and photograph them! At least it is an excuse to clean out my closet!
I've thought about doing this, but was worried that I was making more work for myself. Are you going to just save them to your phone or print them or put them in a document? Also, are you going to take individual photos, so you can mix and match your photos or just do outfits?

Since you're getting out all the clothes anyway, are you planning a practice pack to check the weight and the packing strategies (ie: packing cubes)?

I love anything ore efficient, but I just end up making things complicated, so I'm hoping you have some good ideas I can borrow.

Cruise is in 41 days. 5 night DD on Dream. I have lists, spreadsheets, notes and 2 plastic bins of things I read about or think might be helpful - and the bins don't include clothes. Over past 18 months I've bought lots of clothes, shoes, etc.

Something horrible happened - I gained weight. Unusual for me. I was so upset I had thyroid tests done and talked to doctor. Tried on cruise clothes a couple days ago, unfortunately, none of the clothes I bought last summer fit. Waaaa. I've bought a couple outfits in larger size but would rather lose weight.

I anticipate any and every situation and like to be prepared. Do I need all the things I pack when traveling? No, but it is always nice to have the just-in-case things when a situation happens where you need. That roll of duct tape, medical first-aid kit, stapler, scotch tape, various other "handy" things have saved me many times but I've also traveled and not needed.

DH told me this vacation we need to share 1 large suitcase. In addition we both will have carry-on. I usually take a large suitcase for myself and fill half of DH large suitcase. It's so hard for me to decide what to take and what to leave since my luggage space has now been cut in half.

I've thought about doing this, but was worried that I was making more work for myself. Are you going to just save them to your phone or print them or put them in a document? Also, are you going to take individual photos, so you can mix and match your photos or just do outfits?

Since you're getting out all the clothes anyway, are you planning a practice pack to check the weight and the packing strategies (ie: packing cubes)?

I love anything ore efficient, but I just end up making things complicated, so I'm hoping you have some good ideas I can borrow.

You bring up some points I had not considered! We are driving, so weight is not a great concern, and, since I am only focusing on myself, I am thinking it may be too soon to think about a packing dry run. I will be travelling with two growing boys and every time I try to think about which of their current clothes will come with us, I just end up shrugging and wondering how much taller they will be in the fall! I do envision a miserable, "do we have to," last minute shopping trip for the boys in the fall. (Maybe I should get that date on my calendar now???) But, I am still wrapping my head around having to pack bulkier clothes, so a packing dry run is not a bad idea. I have over packed for every cruise we have been on, and, because of the fall items, I really want to minimize what we take.

I hadn't thought about mix and match -- my focus is really on dinner outfits and what to wear for the drive, so I was planning to photo the whole outfit, with my phone, but ultimately to drop the photos in my spreadsheet. I haven't had a chance to start yet, but I will let you know if this ultimately ends up being a waste of time!

I hear you about the kids! Just getting my boys to try anything on to see if they still fit is a struggle. I used to just buy several sizes of things and let them pick what they wanted (and returned the rest), but they're teens now and I'm not fronting that kind of money nowadays. But yeah, making them shop when they could be riding bikes or playing with friends takes negotiation.

You may be on to something for your specific items. I would love to hear how it turns out.

You bring up some points I had not considered! We are driving, so weight is not a great concern, and, since I am only focusing on myself, I am thinking it may be too soon to think about a packing dry run. I will be travelling with two growing boys and every time I try to think about which of their current clothes will come with us, I just end up shrugging and wondering how much taller they will be in the fall! I do envision a miserable, "do we have to," last minute shopping trip for the boys in the fall. (Maybe I should get that date on my calendar now???) But, I am still wrapping my head around having to pack bulkier clothes, so a packing dry run is not a bad idea. I have over packed for every cruise we have been on, and, because of the fall items, I really want to minimize what we take.

I hadn't thought about mix and match -- my focus is really on dinner outfits and what to wear for the drive, so I was planning to photo the whole outfit, with my phone, but ultimately to drop the photos in my spreadsheet. I haven't had a chance to start yet, but I will let you know if this ultimately ends up being a waste of time!
Do you have an iPhone? There’s a great app called Stylebook that can help you plan outfits and what to pack.

I love mix and match! I pick a color scheme (our next trip is silver/grey, black and red) and then we pack everything in that color scheme. That way, we all coordinate in pictures and no matter what we pick out the drawer, it will match. It makes packing so easy. AND I don't bother to bring the kids with me to shop. I just buy them clothes in the color scheme in their current size. It's so fun! And, relaxing for everyone because they don't really have to think about what to wear.

Still have 264 days until our next cruise and feel like I'm already done with most of the planning. Just curious about how far in advance do you all usually make your requests for things like a table for just your family or to order things like drink packages, room decors, etc. I usually do all that around 2-3 months before our cruise, but would like to do it now so I can check something else off my to do list. But didn't know if it's considered too early to do it.

Still have 264 days until our next cruise and feel like I'm already done with most of the planning. Just curious about how far in advance do you all usually make your requests for things like a table for just your family or to order things like drink packages, room decors, etc. I usually do all that around 2-3 months before our cruise, but would like to do it now so I can check something else off my to do list. But didn't know if it's considered too early to do it.

The Head Server on our first cruise ended up being our server on our next cruise and I have requested him for our subsequent two cruises. When I did the first time, I called about 1 month out from our sail date and the Cast Member told me that was perfect timing, so I plan to stick with that. One of my sons has allergies, and I will likely wait until September to submit that information as well.

My thinking that first year in calling one month out was, if I did it too soon, the requests may get "lost in the shuffle". So the most pre-planny thing I do is to put a reminder on my calendar to pop-up a month before the sail date.

You people make me happy. 125 days til my next cruise, and I was just talking to my husband about packing. (Jokingly... but not really)

I’m all about the spreadsheets, even for packing lists and planning what to wear each day. It’s a sickness, but I’m not even trying to fight it.

I made my requests as soon as I booked our cruise. They were marked on our reservation and done. I didn't have to think about it or worry about when to request it. Purchases of in-room gifts are a little different, since they might come out with new items closer to your sailing.

You will love Saint John, New Brunswick. lots to see and do. I work at the cruise market at the port so if you would like any information I will try to help. October is usually warm (but weather seems crazy) hoodies and long pants should be fine. Just watch the weather channel.

You will love Saint John, New Brunswick. lots to see and do. I work at the cruise market at the port so if you would like any information I will try to help. October is usually warm (but weather seems crazy) hoodies and long pants should be fine. Just watch the weather channel.

Thank you, thank you! We are thinking about the whale watch excursion, but there seems like there's so many wonderful things to do!

Too busy to obsess over the cruise? Yup, I work at a movie theater, so this week has been all about The Avengers and staffing up for the summer season and it has left very little time to obsess over the cruise. I am not sure how I feel about this. I am back to worrying that the summer will fly by too fast while simultaneously looking forward to our fall trip.

Two weeks until Deadpool comes out, so maybe I can find time to take those clothing photos, soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!