1st Aulani trip few questions, Also help decide on a car.

alldiz

DIS Veteran
Hi,
I am soooo excited for this trip. I was soooo lucky to get 3 nights studio at Grand Californian followed by 5 nights 1 Bedroom O/V at exactly 7mos.
We are taking the POA cruise after our Aulani trip. We have 1 night before cruise in Waikiki.

I was planning on doing Pearl Harbor day we go to Waikiki.
Ok...Questions

1.Do any of the tours/excursions(pearl harbor) include the Arizona? (special tickets) or is car definately needed
2.How much is taxi from Airport to Aulani?
3.Am I crazy to consider not leaving Aulani and not having a car?
Here's my plan....
I'm thinking that I will take a taxi to hotel for quickness after long flight. Then maybe take an excursion or 2 from Aulani. North Shore? Snorkeling?
Figured I could walk to ABC store across street and carry back some groceries.....Is this too far to walk?
Was also planning on a luao.....either at Aulani or the one down the road.
On Day I check out of Aulani.....taxi to hotel in Waikiki then rent car for day from there to go to Pearl Harbor.

I figured maybe for a day rent car from aulani if needed.

Soooo for 5 nights at Aulani.....Is it crazy to not get a car and just enjoy the area?
Any tips on what not to miss at Aulani...besides waking up at sunrise to get a pool chair:headache::headache:

Also has anyone been to Aulani luao and the one down road...(forgot name)? Crazy to do both?

Soooooo am I crazy to not rent a car. I just want hassle free and minimum traffic.
Thanks
Kerri

Sounds like an awesome trip!

Since you used DVC points and don't have to pay for parking, I would really lean towards renting the car, especially if you're going to do a North Shore excursion. A rental car might cost you $200, which is probably cheaper than the excursion cost plus transportation from HNL. Plus there is so much more freedom to stop where and when you want. The traffic from Aulani to the North Shore is not bad, part of it is very rural.

The ABC store is definitely close enough to walk. But if you had a car you could go to Costco, Target, Walmart, Safeway, etc. It's all nearby and no problem with traffic - it's suburban around there.

The most problem with traffic is getting into and out of Waikiki. To minimize dealing with traffic, I would look into an excursion to Pearl Harbor from Waikiki, or go there on your way to Waikiki (assuming you rented the car) - this does have the risk of leaving your luggage in the car though.

We went 5 days in October and did not have a car. We rented from the resort for 1 day for a trip to Pearl Harbor, Waikiki (but we are also not DVC so the cost of parking made it not worth it). There is definitely enough to do at the resort especially if you enjoy the pools and beaches to be happy and never leave, but if you are itching to explore I would rent a car with DVC free parking rental from the airport is affordable and for multiple outings it would be worth it.

It is easy enough to walk across the street to the ABC and also several restaurants across the street to get some variety.. maybe a 10 minute walk.

I would think two Luaus would be too much for me, but I'd do one for sure.

Just my 2 cents

Sounds like an awesome trip!

Since you used DVC points and don't have to pay for parking, I would really lean towards renting the car, especially if you're going to do a North Shore excursion. A rental car might cost you $200, which is probably cheaper than the excursion cost plus transportation from HNL. Plus there is so much more freedom to stop where and when you want. The traffic from Aulani to the North Shore is not bad, part of it is very rural.

The ABC store is definitely close enough to walk. But if you had a car you could go to Costco, Target, Walmart, Safeway, etc. It's all nearby and no problem with traffic - it's suburban around there.

The most problem with traffic is getting into and out of Waikiki. To minimize dealing with traffic, I would look into an excursion to Pearl Harbor from Waikiki, or go there on your way to Waikiki (assuming you rented the car) - this does have the risk of leaving your luggage in the car though.

I will look into how much the rental is but here is my problem.

If I rent a car.... How will I return it. I am going to Waikiki 1 night before POA cruise after aulani.
I would hate to wast my Waikiki day returning car at airport and then going back to Waikiki.... Is it less complicated than I'm imagining?
Thanks
Kerri

If I rent a car.... How will I return it. I am going to Waikiki 1 night before POA cruise after aulani.
I would hate to wast my Waikiki day returning car at airport and then going back to Waikiki.... Is it less complicated than I'm imagining?

You can check picking up at HNL and returning in Waikiki - see if the cost and Waikiki rental location works for you. :)

None of the rentals offer free shuttles to/from the port. There are also no free shuttles between the port and airport. SpeediShuttle, Roberts, and a couple more for-pay shuttle companies around though. I'd either rent a car or do taxis/shuttles, but not mix the two; just seems like too much hassle to me.

Taxi is $55 flat rate to airport from Aulani. Agree with pp that 2 luauas would be a lot. Pearl Harbour has various tickets. Arizona is one ticket. Missouri is another ticket etc. We did a tour through Aulani with brief city tour, Arizona and Missouri. Left resort at 8:30 am and back for 3:15. Great day other than crappy lunch options at Pearl Harbour.

We went 5 days in October and did not have a car. We rented from the resort for 1 day for a trip to Pearl Harbor, Waikiki (but we are also not DVC so the cost of parking made it not worth it). There is definitely enough to do at the resort especially if you enjoy the pools and beaches to be happy and never leave, but if you are itching to explore I would rent a car with DVC free parking rental from the airport is affordable and for multiple outings it would be worth it.

It is easy enough to walk across the street to the ABC and also several restaurants across the street to get some variety.. maybe a 10 minute walk.

I would think two Luaus would be too much for me, but I'd do one for sure.

Just my 2 cents
yea definitely will do one luao....just wondering if Aulani better. I will check out pricing on the car.
Thanks
kerri

You can check picking up at HNL and returning in Waikiki - see if the cost and Waikiki rental location works for you. :)

Yes...I will do that...If I can rent at airport and drop at hotel in Marriot that would be amazing!!!

Taxi is $55 flat rate to airport from Aulani. Agree with pp that 2 luauas would be a lot. Pearl Harbour has various tickets. Arizona is one ticket. Missouri is another ticket etc. We did a tour through Aulani with brief city tour, Arizona and Missouri. Left resort at 8:30 am and back for 3:15. Great day other than crappy lunch options at Pearl Harbour.

$55 that is reasonable. Do they have minivan taxis. I'm wondering if 4 checked bags will fit in car. If a suitcase on lap whatever!

Ok...so the tour through Aulani included Arizona, where you take ferry to boat and hard to get tickets? That would be great!
Thanks
Kerri

1.Do any of the tours/excursions(pearl harbor) include the Arizona? (special tickets) or is car definately needed

We did Pearl Harbor while we were staying in Waikiki. We booked a tour with Discover Hawaii tours and they picked us up at our hotel in Waikiki (Marriott) and drove us to Pearl Harbor and also handled getting our tickets/tour times for the Arizona Memorial. They picked us up at 6:30am, were at Pearl Harbor by 7:15, and our tour time was 9:15am so we had two hours to explore the museums, etc. We opted for the Discover Hawaii tour that came with a stop at the Swap Meet after Pearl Harbor, but they have tours that will also take you to the Missouri or just back to your hotel. On our way back to our hotel, the driver took us past Iolani Palace and would have taken us by the Punch Bowl but it was closed for an event. It was a full day but relatively inexpensive for everything we did at $50 a person. You can also book just the Arizona memorial with them which would be a shorter day and probably cheaper. Highly recommend them, but I don't think they pick up outside of Waikiki.

Figured I could walk to ABC store across street and carry back some groceries.....Is this too far to walk?

Not too far to walk and if you just need basic essentials, you'll be good. The prices are slightly marked up and they don't have everything you'd find at a grocery store like Safeway, but you can probably make do.

With only 5 days at Aulani, I wouldn't say you *need* a car. You won't want to be exploring too much since part of an Aulani stay is enjoying the resort. You'll be doing a lot of things on the cruise portion of your trip. I do think if you can find a good price on a car rental, it's worth it to have since you'd get free parking as DVC. Plus the driving there is very easy and so is the parking. I could really go either way on a car during a 5 day stay.

We spent 3 nights at Aulani on our trip in June and did not have a rental car. They definitely have minivan taxis at the airport, we ended up with a limo taxi that my girls had a ball in. I definitely could have stayed for 5 nights without a rental car. In my opinion there is so much to enjoy at the resort, I didn't want to spend much time away from it. It was a very easy walk to the ABC store and there is even a shuttle that you can take to and from that shopping center should you have lots of bags to carry back. But it is a small store as other posters have mentioned, and at least half of it was souvenir type items, so if you want to do a lot of cooking in your villa you may want the ability to go to a larger store.

None of the rentals offer free shuttles to/from the port. There are also no free shuttles between the port and airport. SpeediShuttle, Roberts, and a couple more for-pay shuttle companies around though. I'd either rent a car or do taxis/shuttles, but not mix the two; just seems like too much hassle to me.
I'm messing this multiquote thing up LOL
Need to see if I can rent and return different places and price. But I might just stick with taxi and excursions for a zero stress trip. And might meet some nice people on excursion.
Thanks
Kerri

We spent 3 nights at Aulani on our trip in June and did not have a rental car. They definitely have minivan taxis at the airport, we ended up with a limo taxi that my girls had a ball in. I definitely could have stayed for 5 nights without a rental car. In my opinion there is so much to enjoy at the resort, I didn't want to spend much time away from it. It was a very easy walk to the ABC store and there is even a shuttle that you can take to and from that shopping center should you have lots of bags to carry back. But it is a small store as other posters have mentioned, and at least half of it was souvenir type items, so if you want to do a lot of cooking in your villa you may want the ability to go to a larger store.

This is what I'm thinking. I really want to enjoy Aulani. We are going on POA cruise of Island after so I'm thinking I will get more Hawaii sightseeing then. I will not be
doing any cooking besides maybe bkfst and sandwiches. So ABC should be fine. And I think I remember you can buy Alcohol there as well correct?:drinking:
We have 2 birthdays during the 5 days. (Myself and DH). So I'm thinking Ama Ama, Roy's, and Monkeypod should keep us busy for 3 nights....then add a luao and only 1 night for dinner left.
Can't wait! Only thing I am less than excited about is since I want a lot of resort time someone will have to set the alarm to get pool chairs:upsidedow
Thanks
Kerri

I would recommend dinner at Off the Hook one night. Our last Aulani night we didn't want to leave the pools so we swam and floated in the lazy river until well after sunset. Off the Hook was still open, with outdoor seating and live music. It was great. This won't matter to you, but we stayed at two Hilton's after leaving Aulani and neither place had a restaurant or bar by the pools that stayed open past 5pm. If you wanted to have a cocktail and watch the sunset by the pool, forget it. Disney knows how to do things right.

I would recommend dinner at Off the Hook one night. Our last Aulani night we didn't want to leave the pools so we swam and floated in the lazy river until well after sunset. Off the Hook was still open, with outdoor seating and live music. It was great. This won't matter to you, but we stayed at two Hilton's after leaving Aulani and neither place had a restaurant or bar by the pools that stayed open past 5pm. If you wanted to have a cocktail and watch the sunset by the pool, forget it. Disney knows how to do things right.
That sounds amazing!!! Yes it is very important to me to sit near the beautiful pool with a delicious drink in the evening.... Add sunset :worship: Even if I do it once. I appreciate knowing Aulani has this while other nice hotels don't; feels Extra special to be able to go there:snooty::p
Thanks
Kerri

Great to know the tour includes those muck sought after tickets!
Thanks
Kerri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter