1st time at SSR - What are your top tips, advice and/or suggestions?

TigerLaw

DIS Veteran
My family is staying at Saratoga Springs for the first time this December. Our home Resort is Bay Lake and we rarely stray from it. Honestly we have little to no knowledge about SSR so I was wondering if all of the SSR experts out there could help a first-timer out and give me any tips advice or suggestions that may not be obvious from the DVC website.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I've done SSR twice--once on a weeklong trip in 2010, then another single night for a conference in 2014.

Both times, I stayed in the Paddock, and I highly recommend it. Between the two trips, they added a fantastic play area and a quick service outlet to the Paddock pool. It's a lovely walk over the bridge to get to the main house, which has a really good quick service counter. I believe it's also the second (third maybe?) stop for the bus, making it easy to get a seat going out, and quick to get off coming back in. SSR and OKW are the most peaceful, relaxing places I've ever stayed in at WDW...I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

If you're using the buses to get to the parks, understand the sequence that they stop at the different sections. SSR has its own bus, but they first stop at Grandstand, then on to Carousel, Paddocks, Congress Park and finally Springs. As it is a big resort, buses can fill up especially in the early morning. We stayed in the Springs and watched full bus after full bus drive by us because they filled up at the other areas. If you end up in the Springs (great area), it might be worth the short walk over to the Grandstand area to pick up the bus. You'll be first on and almost guaranteed to get a seat.

The Paddock and Congress Park are pretty close to Disney Springs. That makes SSR so much better. You have dozens of places to eat. If you're in one of the other areas, I'd suggest you just take the boat from the Springs. It's a great ride and you rarely wait very long for the next boat.

All buildings have elevators, so I'd request a high floor. Some of the views are great. Enjoy!

December - bring some warm clothing just in case. SSR is a different animal altogether. Be sure to tour the main areas to enjoy all the theme detail. Chill out and just enjoy the resort and try not to make 'comparisons'. It's a great resort if you like to go for walks.

We loved Grandstand area-requested building close to the secondary pool there (also themed well) and it is the first stop with the buses so we always had a seat. Short walk to boat to Disney springs or main pool. Mu kids are older though, so we didn't really want the kiddie pool area LOL

Take advantage of the walking/biking trail to Old Key West or the boat ride to Port Orleans, both very scenic and relaxing.

Saratoga Springs is very large and spread out. Make sure you have good directions as to where your room is located. At our first stay, we arrived via DME. Stopped at Bell Services for directions to our building and ended up dragging our luggage around for a good 45 minutes trying to find our building. Seems their directions were a little more vague than I thought. And if they offer help with a golf cart for your luggage, take it! On the other hand, we loved Saratoga Springs. My favorite thing is the boat ride over to Disney Springs for shopping or visiting a restaurant or just to sit on a bench and people watch in the evening.

we bought ssr resale due to points/price combo and it has become our favorite resort!

we love staying at the paddock-the pool and bar are great, walk to main lobby/restaurant area is lovely. disney springs is also a close, 10 minute, walk.

i agree turf club is a hidden gem, and artist palette is great as well. the boat ride to disney springs is lovely.

enjoy your trip :)

The Prime Rib, is the Best on property...for sure....Artist Pallette has very good choices...And the decor/theming here is on point....It is definitely different from any other stay, but that's what makes it enjoyable...We've stayed in the Springs 1 night, with neighbors, we also stayed at Paddock ( furthest bldg left 4501-4836 ) and it was far... The next day they put us in Grandstand 8501 - 8836, facing parking lot..NOT TOO BAD. Last Nov. we requested Grandstand again(Close to Carriage House) & were put in 9501-9536, the last room around the top left corner. Far from main bldg. but very convenient for when we return from the parks.... All in all the walks around here are actually kinda nice..Enjoy the resort.:thumbsup2

SSR is our home resort and we feel is even better now with all the new places at Disney Springs. We like to stay at Congress Park since it is a quick walk to DS or the boats to OKW. It is however a longer walk to the SSR restaurants and main pool. But we like the quiet pool at Congress Park better anyway.

If you like spa's or a massage, my daughter said she got the best massage at SSR.

I would RUN... Check the site every minute of everyday to pick a new resort. I absolutely hate SSR because of my last stay there.
It was so dirty and disgusting. I walked up to my 1st room 3 trash bags in front of my door I had to kick our of the way just to scan my band. Walked in horrible wet musty mold smell. Bathroom tub had white residue all over it I assume cleaner that wasn't wiped up. Carpet was black. Woman's used personal product under sink in cabinet where trash can goes except no trash can was in there. So I highly doubt the room was cleaned properly upon assignments were made.
Moved to a 2nd room even worse with band-aid wrappers on the floor in the bathroom. Black curly hair (lots of it) in the tub, all over the base of the toilet, an Apple iPhone charger still plugged into the wall by the sink. After that I was moved to OKW in a 2 bed .... Never again at SSR
Last Nov I had a 1 bed there dryer didn't work and when they fixed it made a loud screeching noise so had it run while we were out. Tub leaked and dishwasher never worked. Since it was Thanksgiving week there wasn't anything else available :(

We also own at BLT and stayed at SSR for the first time this past May. We had the Paddock building and it was a GREAT location. We very much enjoyed our stay here and would do so again in a heartbeat. Great use of our points. Loved the Paddock area pool. Had a bus stop right across from our building (but we had a car so didn't use the busses). LOVELY view off our patio. Beautiful grounds too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter