1st time renting a car....HELP!!!

goofy4tink

No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator
Okay...here goes. We are traveling in Aug, from MCO to WDW. 2 adults and a 9 y/o. Staying 8 days/7 nights. I belong to AARP, and DC. We have used Mears, and TT in the past. This time we are planning to do SeaWorld. Staying at CBR. I figure a towncar service will run me $100 for airport run and $50 for SeaWorld run. Maybe a little less. But for that amount, would I be better off renting a car? Here are my (many) questions:

1. How easy is it to drive around Orlando/WDW?

2. How do I start the search and get the best price?

3. When should I plan on actually making my ressies for a car?

I am really confused about all this. Have never rented a car before and don't want to break the bank doing it. And all this is hinged on whether or not my dh will actually want to do the driving!!! Thanks for any and all help.

I am one of those people that has always rented a car at WDW. Depending on what kind of vehicle you rent, you should be able to get something for just about what you would be paying anyways for your airport and SeaWorld trips. There are many auto rentals discounts available and they change frequently. I would start by checking mousesavers and also go to the individual websites to check for current discounts. The agencies at the airport are Avis, Dollar, Budget and Alamo?National and L&M. I only rent from airport location at MCO because its takes only a few minutes to actually get into your car and you are on your way to the World. Each rental agency offers some kind of frequent renter/quick service card for no charge (even National's Emerald Aisle has free options available...you have to check out your free options) that really cuts down on time spent at the counter. I highly recommend doing this. There is another thread on this board where someone arrived at the counter with hundreds of other passengers and had I think it was Fast Lane w/ Dollar and walked right up to the counter and Done!! I usually book my cars quite wahile ahead when I get a good rate but always check frequently before my trips. And it is quite easy to get around DisneyWorld and also out there in the rest of Orlando. Good Luck... sorry I went on and on.

Here's my Dollar Strategy:

I've found them to have the best rates for the car we've used (economy), but check out L & M at MCO. They're new to the airport and seemingly cheaper, but are a smaller local company.

I decide on the dates and the kind of car needed, check here and MouseSavers for promotion codes, then reserve my best deal NOW. It doesn't cost a thing, they don't take your CC number and you can cance/ or change the ressie up to a few days before you arrive.

I keep checking here and MS for promo codes. For our last trip last Nov. I changed ressies 3 times, each time getting a better deal. We started off with $234 for a week and ended up at $99 for the same model.

Take a copy of your insurance. When they give you the pitch to buy coverage, show then the copy and say, "No thanks, I'm covered'. This always ends their aggressive sales pitch.

Join FastLane ASAP. It's still free. In Nov. there were 6 - 8 people in the 'regular' line and I got out of there before any of them. Be prepared for the sort of nasty stares you get when using PastPass at WDW.

Next trip we'll need a mini-van so I'm gathering info on L & M. If they're a LOT less I'll give them a try, otherwise I'll pay a little more to stick with what's worked.

Bill From PA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter