1st timer--expo questions re: driving, kids under 18 in tow

Ursula_Fan

Mouseketeer
Apologies if this has been stated but haven't found a recent update. Doing my first runDisney at Springtime...

1) Can I drive my own car to the expo? Or should I just rely on Disney transport?

2) I will have my 2 kiddos in tow w/no babysitter. Can I bring them to the expo for bib pickup? I see "bring family and friends" on the website but wanted to be sure kiddos are ok because of liability or whatever.

Thank you!

Yes, you can drive and yes, you can bring your kids. There have been some larger than usual lines for bib pickup the last few races so just prepare yourself and kiddos for that if you plan to arrive in the morning of the first day.

Also, if you plan to enter the runDisney official merchandise area, they've been using Virtual Queue for that. Be sure to put all parties in your VQ when you book it, though I can't imagine they'd make a fuss over minor kids joining you.

Apologies if this has been stated but haven't found a recent update. Doing my first runDisney at Springtime...

1) Can I drive my own car to the expo? Or should I just rely on Disney transport?

2) I will have my 2 kiddos in tow w/no babysitter. Can I bring them to the expo for bib pickup? I see "bring family and friends" on the website but wanted to be sure kiddos are ok because of liability or whatever.

Thank you!
The great answers provided by @GollyGadget and @The Expert are predicated on being at the Expo on the first day. Which race(s) are you doing? If you're "only" doing the the 10K or the HM, I would wait until the second day of the Expo to get your bib. Rather than a long wait, you'll walk right in. The only problem is that there is the possibility of some merchandise selling out. During marathon weekend, I found that they actually had everything in stock on the second day of the Expo. However, there is the realistic possibility that you might not get what you wanted if you wait. It's definitely a trade-off. Whatever you decide, have a great race weekend and welcome to runDisney!

Can I drive my own car to the expo?
Yep.

I will have my 2 kiddos in tow w/no babysitter. Can I bring them to the expo for bib pickup? I see "bring family and friends" on the website but wanted to be sure kiddos are ok because of liability or whatever.
Yep.

It's a bit of a walk from parking (and bus dropoff), and you might run into a line for the bib pickup. The line can be outside, so be sure to sunscreen-up and set expectations. After you get your bib you go to a different building to pick up your shirt, and in the past that has been in the back of the building with the general vendors. So you have to battle through many shoppers to get there. Again, setting expectations is important! It's a lot of energy and can be fun if you know what you are walking into. Assuming the setup is the same, when you enter the buhilding, look around and see all the stuff going on. It's pretty exciting.

Also, in the past, no strollers were allowed on the floor of the general vendor (and shirt pickup) area. I don't know how old your kids are, but it's worth knowing.

The great answers provided by @GollyGadget and @The Expert are predicated on being at the Expo on the first day. Which race(s) are you doing? If you're "only" doing the the 10K or the HM, I would wait until the second day of the Expo to get your bib. Rather than a long wait, you'll walk right in. The only problem is that there is the possibility of some merchandise selling out. During marathon weekend, I found that they actually had everything in stock on the second day of the Expo. However, there is the realistic possibility that you might not get what you wanted if you wait. It's definitely a trade-off. Whatever you decide, have a great race weekend and welcome to runDisney!
Thanks so much! Kiddos are older so strollers, etc aren't an issue. Doing the 5k and 10k, so I need to go first day. I booked flights yesterday so we are landing by 1 pm. Should be able to drop the kiddos at the hotel with family, then bus over to the expo solo (whew!) Thanks for all the guidance! Excited to join the runDisney family.

Yep.

Yep.

It's a bit of a walk from parking (and bus dropoff), and you might run into a line for the bib pickup. The line can be outside, so be sure to sunscreen-up and set expectations. After you get your bib you go to a different building to pick up your shirt, and in the past that has been in the back of the building with the general vendors. So you have to battle through many shoppers to get there. Again, setting expectations is important! It's a lot of energy and can be fun if you know what you are walking into. Assuming the setup is the same, when you enter the buhilding, look around and see all the stuff going on. It's pretty exciting.

Also, in the past, no strollers were allowed on the floor of the general vendor (and shirt pickup) area. I don't know how old your kids are, but it's worth knowing.
The sun info is super helpful. Bunch of gingers here who don't like to be hot. I finally booked flights so the kiddos will be deposited at the hotel where auntie can get them shade and pool time. :-)

Thanks so much! Kiddos are older so strollers, etc aren't an issue. Doing the 5k and 10k, so I need to go first day. I booked flights yesterday so we are landing by 1 pm. Should be able to drop the kiddos at the hotel with family, then bus over to the expo solo (whew!) Thanks for all the guidance! Excited to join the runDisney family.
How old are your kids? Could they handle a potentially long line? I ask because there are great photo opportunities between characters and backgrounds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter