2 months until Viva Italia!! (9/14/08)

whayes

Mouseketeer
I cannot believe that we only have two months until we leave for Italy! I am sooooo excited and scared at the same time. Do I have everything I need? Do I have enough money? AHHH! :scared:

For those of you who have done the trip - What things do you advise that I do prior to the trip? I have read a lot of the trip reports and tips (Thanks PiperPilot, 3pirates, cydlei and everyone else!), but any more advice would be appreciated!

Are there any other DISers going on the 9/14 trip? I know eva is on the same trip.

I'm looking forward to your advice! Oh, when did you get your packets from ABD?

william

Well we will see you there, William! We are excited too! I would also appreciate any hints for preparing for the trip. How much Italian should we know? Is it pretty easy to exchange money? DH is being stubborn about bringing enough cash for the entire trip. He hates using ATM's if there is a fee. And you can bet there will be one. I'm sure our credit union doesn't have a branch over there. :lmao: So we will probably exchange about half our cash before leaving. What currency do the guides request for tips? Should I call ABD to double check that they have our correct flight info? I heard of a person that they didn't pick up and they had a very expensive taxi ride to the hotel. Wow! I can't believe how close we are to leaving. Less than 60 days! :yay:

Have a good time, I wish I was going again. First of all relax, once you get there they have everything taken care of for you. I just read a few books to get ideas of what we would like to see on our own. I can't remember exactly when we got our packet but I think it was a couple months out. There is a confirmation for your flights in there but go ahead and call if it makes you feel better. I exchanged some money at the airport in Newark, but we got a good deal. I also used the ATM in Florence but my bank refunded the fees, so I guess its what you are comfortable with. As far as speaking the language, most people in Italy speak some English and its not hard to communicate ( hand gestures work too). I learned the pleasantries, please, thank you and a few basic eveyday phrases. A smile and Grazie (thank you) go a long way. Just don't panic over anything and have a GREAT time.

PS. If you want plain water make sure you ask for natural or no gas. If you don't specify then you will get bubbly water.

We just got our booklets, luggage strap holders, and bags last week and we are going on the 8/28 Viva Italia tour. I like Rick Steves books/web site/pod casts. We added two pre nights so we could see Pompeii and the coast (there is a high speed train to Naples that takes 1 and 1/2 hours.) On our free time we hope to see the Borghese Gallery, Villa d'Este, Campo de' Fiori (dinner/walk) and maybe Ostia Antica. All are pretty close.

We just got our booklets, luggage strap holders, and bags last week and we are going on the 8/28 Viva Italia tour. I like Rick Steves books/web site/pod casts. We added two pre nights so we could see Pompeii and the coast (there is a high speed train to Naples that takes 1 and 1/2 hours.) On our free time we hope to see the Borghese Gallery, Villa d'Este, Campo de' Fiori (dinner/walk) and maybe Ostia Antica. All are pretty close.

I hope you have a wonderful time! Your pre-nights sound great. I think Rick Steves is great. We have been to his live talk/slide show on Italy. We actually live about 30 minutes from his office. It/he has been a great asset to our trip planning.

We got ours on Tuesday (07/22). Now I am excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter