2 way radios for 3 groups? & What kind is best?

DreamingofDisney

Earning My Ears
I am interested in purchasing 2 way radios and I know nothing about them. What brand, style, etc. do you recommend? Are there certain features, (strenghth & rechargeable battery, etc.) that are a must for WDW? Do we all need to be in 1 park, or are they strong enough to reach different parks. Also we may dividing into 3 groups. How can we all stay connected by radio. Can they be rented at WDW? We really only need them for this 1 trip. Thanks for the help.

Since it is only for this trip and you might want park to park communications, you might want to check out this link: http://www.intouchfamily.com. I know the link used to be on the DIS Home page and I saw alot of posts from people who had used them and were satisfied. Regular FRS radios work within one park, but you want to make sure to get the kind with sub-channels so you have some privacy. The ones with a vibrate option are also good, because you won't disturb everyone in an attraction.

I have 2 kinds: Cobra MicroTalk1 (that I've had for several years and work just fine but only has 2 channels) and Uniden ecotreks (that I just purchased) I highly recommend the Uniden ecotreks because they have:

14 channels and 38 subchannels
a clip thingy on top that stay securely attached to beltloops
large lcd displays so you know you're on the right channel

and they cost about $19.00 a piece so you can buy as many or as few as you need.

Cheryl :bounce:

where did you purchase the uniden radios - that's a great price! I search the name on line and couldn't find any listing.

I just found the Uniden ecotrek for $19.99 at Wal-mart. The fellow told me that this model was the newest one that they carried. They also carry on a Uniden that was 24.98. That was a price "roll-back" from 29.98. That model had a vibration feature, so it might be worth it. Anyway, check Wal-mart.

Just a note: I have also checked Sears and Radio shack and they don't carry the Uniden $19.99 Good Luck!!

Dreaming of Disney is right. I found them at Walmart for a little over $19.00 sorry took me so long to answer. They're in the electronics dept. I love the belt clip thingy, much easier to carry than my others plus the antenna is built in so you don't catch it on everything. I looked at the $25 ones but didn't feel I needed to spend the extra $$$ for features that I wouldn't use. It's gonna hang from my beltloop while I'm walking so the vibrate mode seems a waste. But they put it there for someone so maybe it would be useful to ya'll.

Have a great day!

Hey Worknfires:

Do these radios actually work 2 miles?? I've been told by "salespeople" that really a 2 mi equates to 1/2 mile, of course weather depending etc., etc., etc., I'm not sure if they are just trying to sell me a more expensive radio or what.

I also liked the looks of them, pretty jazzy! I think it's a neat way to stay connected, I just don't want to be disappointed when they fizzle due to buildings, etc., I've never used this kind of radio so "novice" is an overstatement!!

Thanks for the info!!

DreamingofDisney
In the most common uses, I've found they work really well within 1/2 mile with buildings and trees and such. I can send DH to the store 1/2 mile away (maybe a little more) and pick him up with a little static (cell phones won't pick up inside this store, don't ask me why) plus there are a lot of trees between me & the store also. On straight interstate which is basically open, MIL and I can talk when we're pulling our travel trailers for a good distance further. But at WDW with all that metal and buildings and such I'd say you should get no further than 1/2 mile radius. That's just my guess mind you since I haven't used them in the parks just at the resorts and onboard the Disney Wonder. Others may report differently. Even if I had the radios, I would still have an iron clad "let's meet at this location at this time if you haven't heard from me" just in case.

Cheryl

Work N Fires,

Oops, hit the wrong key, sorry!! Thanks for the info. I really hadn't thought of using them on the cruise, or while we're driving. Very helpful info. Thanks again.!

Glad to help. You'll be surprised if you buy them just how often you'll use them. Like I said before we bought them so I could direct my husband when he manuvering our travel trailer (It stopped a lot of fights) but then we found ourselves using them for lots of other things as well. Shopping in the store because I'm not interested in going to the tools and he's not interested in going to the crafts plus, when we're really in a hurry and shopping, we separate and can let each other know what we're finding and how close we are to making it to the register. We ride motorcycles with radios on the side that allow us to talk to each other. We'd be in heaven if they were on the same frequency as the portables (but they are not) because one could ride the bike and the other could pull the travel trailer and still be able to talk. LOL Oh well, can't have everything!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter