2 yr old MagicBand, will it work? Can I buy at MCO Disney Store?

100acreHiker

Fallen down the Disney rabbit hole...
I don't think local Disney Stores sell MagicBands (correct me if I'm wrong about that). We always stay at Disney deluxe resorts, at least once or twice a year, but I'm doing a whirlwind trip with my mom this weekend and we're staying at Dolphin Resort. DH threw out all of our old magicbands from the last two trips :mad:("They always send new ones and they were piling up!"). So. I did manage to find two old ones from exactly two years ago--both listed as active (at the bottom of the active list)--linked to me and my mom. I'm wondering if they'll actually work though, with battery life being an issue.

Does the Disney Store at MCO sells them? We don't have a lot of time since we will need to collect our luggage this time (sigh) and get a Lyft. Also, Disney vets: what is the likelihood our old magicbands (issued April 2016) still work? We will be entering EP via International Gateway early Sunday morning (first park). Can they issue me a card if my MB doesn't work even though they're active and linked to our accounts?

I don't think local Disney Stores sell MagicBands (correct me if I'm wrong about that). We always stay at Disney deluxe resorts, at least once or twice a year, but I'm doing a whirlwind trip with my mom this weekend and we're staying at Dolphin Resort. DH threw out all of our old magicbands from the last two trips :mad:("They always send new ones and they were piling up!"). So. I did manage to find two old ones from exactly two years ago--both listed as active (at the bottom of the active list)--linked to me and my mom. I'm wondering if they'll actually work though, with battery life being an issue.

Does the Disney Store at MCO sells them? We don't have a lot of time since we will need to collect our luggage this time (sigh) and get a Lyft. Also, Disney vets: what is the likelihood our old magicbands (issued April 2016) still work? We will be entering EP via International Gateway early Sunday morning (first park). Can they issue me a card if my MB doesn't work even though they're active and linked to our accounts?
I've had magic bands that have worked at least a year longer than your are talking about so I feel you will be fine. Otherwise yes they will give you a card to get in. They likely sell MB at the airport Disney store but I'm not certain of that.

Thanks--I'd rather not buy them if I don't have to, of course. I know that if they're listed as active they should theoretically work, but I'm just worried about battery life. Reassuring to hear you have older ones that still work.

They probably won't work for things that require longer range (e.g., photos on attractions) but they should work just fine for park entrance and fastpasses. I've used ones that were at least two years old for that. Since we don't purchase photos or photopass, it's been fine for us.

I did manage to find two old ones from exactly two years ago--both listed as active (at the bottom of the active list)--linked to me and my mom. I'm wondering if they'll actually work though, with battery life being an issue.
Your older MagicBands will work just fine at any "touch" point turnstile for park entry and at FP+ touch points. No battery is need for this function. The batter function is only used for the longer range area readers that are used at select rides for improved ride interaction or Photo capturing.

Dave

Your older MagicBands will work just fine at any "touch" point turnstile for park entry and at FP+ touch points. No battery is need for this function. The batter function is only used for the longer range area readers that are used at select rides for improved ride interaction or Photo capturing.

Dave
This is good info to have. I will likely pick up a new MB in the park that morning or on arrival night and link it ASAP because I do want the PhotoPass photos to work. Thanks again.

I’m assuming magicbands are sold in the Dolphin gift shop. The Swan had them when we stayed last year.

I’m assuming magicbands are sold in the Dolphin gift shop. The Swan had them when we stayed last year.

Thank you for adding that--it was my next question! It will be a lot easier for me to pick up a new one at the gift shop after arriving to the hotel than having to stop at the airport and delay getting my luggage.

Depending on how much you want to pay for shipping you could always have them shipped out to you. I believe you can even get the basic ones from Amazon with 2 day prime if you wanted to skip all of that. But like others said the tech for touch points dont use batteries, the ranged stuff like ride photos do.

This is good info to have. I will likely pick up a new MB in the park that morning or on arrival night and link it ASAP because I do want the PhotoPass photos to work. Thanks again.

As far as I've read MOST of the photopass ride photos still have touchpoints that you can use. What *might* not work are the ones that ONLY "notice" your band from afar, and the video on mine train (and maybe another?). Normal photopass still scans the band as far as I know, so you can still use that.

And if you notice it's not working, you could just snag one once you're in the park.

Depending on how much you want to pay for shipping you could always have them shipped out to you. I believe you can even get the basic ones from Amazon with 2 day prime if you wanted to skip all of that. But like others said the tech for touch points dont use batteries, the ranged stuff like ride photos do.

Thanks--I seriously looked into buying one from Amazon, but I've read some stories of folks not being able to link it. Given that the bands available for prime shipping are basic colors costing $30, I think I will just wait till we arrive at the resort. Chances are the Amazon one would link and it would be fine, but I can't bear the idea of spending that much when I can spend less than half! And it sounds like the Dolphin gift shop has them. Bonus if they have millenial pink, but either way I should be covered. Thank you one and all for your advice!

My family of four went to Disney in August with 2 year old bands. Since we stayed at Shades of Green this time, we weren't provided with new bands. We knew about the issue related to things like the Photopass on rides and some of the on ride effects not working with the older bands, so we bought new bands for the two kids and the two adults just used our old ones. We had no problems at all because the adults always had at least one of the kids with them when they were on a ride so we got all our pictures and the kids liked getting to pick their band. All the bands worked fine for FastPass and park entry.

We bought our new ones at the Pin Trader store at Disney Springs. They have a large selection of them there. No problems connecting them to my kid's accounts.

My family used bands from Nov 2013 (when they were just testing them) for same day FP in May 2017 & they worked fine for FP's but not for ride photos. It wasn't a big deal for us because we had the pictures from our main bands.

Does the Disney Store at MCO sells them?

Yes, the Disney store at MCO sells the magicbands and even has some colors I haven’t seen in the resort gift shop. I got my husband the black one in January (we are headed to the Dolphin on Saturday and he only has the first version magicband).

Did you look on the ShopDisney App? They sell the basic colored MBs as well as specialty MBs. I have ordered several from the App.

But, yes, I have used older MBs and they have worked just fine.

Not sure of your plans. If Dolphin gift shop doesn't sell them, gift shops in Yacht Club, Beach Club and on Boardwalk should. Most gift shops in theme parks should have them, if you have time to get in a shop before going on a ride which takes photos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter