2017 Fall Photo Shoot

MarkBarbieri

Semi-retired
Every fall we convert our garage into a mini studio and take pictures for friends. We put thrifty white tileboard on the ground for flooring. We have a few different paper backgrounds suspended from the ceiling on rollers - white, gray, and light blue this year. For lights, we have a pair of Einsteins as our key (in a large octobox) and fill (in a medium softbox). We have another pair of background lights.

Each year, I use the shoot to try some creative ideas and to learn some new techniques. This year, I did a lot more Photoshop work, testing out some ideas. Here are some of the shots from this year.

i-67RRtNp-XL.jpg

i-wvsmNmD-XL.jpg

i-MLRGNdx-XL.jpg

i-LFZv2jg-XL.jpg

i-D2v6b6R-XL.jpg

i-96dQ8j6-XL.jpg

i-QXMNDKh-XL.jpg

i-pq6T4MB-XL.jpg

i-gQ77bFD-XL.jpg

i-bbGpfhg-XL.jpg

Every fall we convert our garage into a mini studio and take pictures for friends. We put thrifty white tileboard on the ground for flooring. We have a few different paper backgrounds suspended from the ceiling on rollers - white, gray, and light blue this year. For lights, we have a pair of Einsteins as our key (in a large octobox) and fill (in a medium softbox). We have another pair of background lights.

Each year, I use the shoot to try some creative ideas and to learn some new techniques. This year, I did a lot more Photoshop work, testing out some ideas. Here are some of the shots from this year.

i-67RRtNp-XL.jpg

i-wvsmNmD-XL.jpg

i-MLRGNdx-XL.jpg

i-LFZv2jg-XL.jpg

i-D2v6b6R-XL.jpg

i-96dQ8j6-XL.jpg

i-QXMNDKh-XL.jpg

i-pq6T4MB-XL.jpg

i-gQ77bFD-XL.jpg

i-bbGpfhg-XL.jpg

Mark - So good to see you posting again! Your boys must be in high school by now.

I really like the snowman, brick wall and race car pictures - very creative! Are you doing professional photography now?

The boys are in high school. One is a senior and the other a sophomore.

I'm not doing any professional work. My wife experimented with doing some paid work, but we concluded that it wasn't worth the hassle in taxes an extra insurance costs for the amount of work she wanted to do. I love my regular job and only have about 5 more years until I'll probably retire.

The brick wall shot was an idea from a shoot we did at a local park. In the garage, the brick wall was a 4x8 sheet of wallboard made to look like bricks. To get the effect, I took a picture of the person in front of the brick wall and one of the brick wall by itself. I aligned them in Photoshop and then masked out some of the person so that the grout would show through.

Some of the others were done using actions from GraphicRiver on Envato. I'm a particular fan of a guy named Eugene. Most of his actions are great.

The car is a little fun car I got a couple of years ago. For those, I took pictures with someone holding the kid hanging from the rollbar. I cut out the car and occupants, cleaned up the "road" (actually my driveway) and applied a motion blur to it, dropped in a background and applied a motion blur to that, applied a radial blur to the wheels, and painted in a shadow under the car. I'll be happy to share more detail on the steps if anyone is interested.

I haven't been here for a quite a while primarily because I haven't been to Disney in a long time. I think 2011 was our last family trip there. We've been off on all sorts of other adventures instead. We just got back from the Grand Canyon, where we rode mules to the bottom. That was a lot of fun.

The boys are in high school. One is a senior and the other a sophomore.

I'm not doing any professional work. My wife experimented with doing some paid work, but we concluded that it wasn't worth the hassle in taxes an extra insurance costs for the amount of work she wanted to do. I love my regular job and only have about 5 more years until I'll probably retire.

The brick wall shot was an idea from a shoot we did at a local park. In the garage, the brick wall was a 4x8 sheet of wallboard made to look like bricks. To get the effect, I took a picture of the person in front of the brick wall and one of the brick wall by itself. I aligned them in Photoshop and then masked out some of the person so that the grout would show through.

Some of the others were done using actions from GraphicRiver on Envato. I'm a particular fan of a guy named Eugene. Most of his actions are great.

The car is a little fun car I got a couple of years ago. For those, I took pictures with someone holding the kid hanging from the rollbar. I cut out the car and occupants, cleaned up the "road" (actually my driveway) and applied a motion blur to it, dropped in a background and applied a motion blur to that, applied a radial blur to the wheels, and painted in a shadow under the car. I'll be happy to share more detail on the steps if anyone is interested.

I haven't been here for a quite a while primarily because I haven't been to Disney in a long time. I think 2011 was our last family trip there. We've been off on all sorts of other adventures instead. We just got back from the Grand Canyon, where we rode mules to the bottom. That was a lot of fun.

Thanks for the update Mark; you were a wonderful presence and amazing photographer on the DIS in the past and I at least, missed your posting! It's hard to believe that those two little guys are now almost in college!

Many who don't travel to Disney post on the Photography Board giving everyone lots of inspiration. I appreciate your explanations about the photos though I am nowhere near ready to use most of what you explained but I liked hearing how you accomplished your shots.

I still get to Disney on a regular basis. It gives me great practice for posting on the DIS and it's easier for my disabled DH to travel at than some places. We moved to Colorado Springs from Maryland 18 months ago and love it here.

Anyway, keep posting here and visiting with us!

Kathy

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts