2017 WBPC: Zen, Self-Deprecation, and Reflections of a Life Well Cruised

Day 8, Sunday, April 30, Sea Day
Music Recommendation: “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” Cyndi Lauper

So now come 4 consecutive sea days, and I have to be honest. My notes are a little sparse for these days. It wasn't that we were sedentary during this time; far from it. We love our sea days and we stayed quite active during this time. We went to the gym each of these 4 days, sometimes twice. But I think what was happening, at least as far as my notes go, is that many of the things we did during these 4 days were repeat activities that I had already taken copious notes about. Nevertheless we will endeavor to push forward, illuminate the highlights, and provide as much color commentary as I think your gag reflex can handle.

Our morning caffeine fix arrived promptly at 8:00 am. That's right. 8:00 am. We were luxuriating this morning, sleeping in to recuperate from the previous day's athletic love-hate relationship with the stairs. We chose to take our coffee inside this morning, as opposed to out on the veranda. It was pouring rain outside. We reflected how lucky we were that we had such good weather for most of the PC crossing the day before. Yes, it had rained, but only for about one hour of the nine hours it took to traverse the canal. But with this morning's ferocious downpour, it seemed as if the skies must have been holding back the previous day, and they had chosen this moment to cut loose in a tropical storm of such proportion that even this Oklahoman was impressed. After our morning coffee ritual, we had a little oatmeal and fruit from Cabana's, and we headed out to Captain Puckett’s 9:15 lecture.

IMG_0805 (Copy).JPG

Captain Puckett did not disappoint. You probably already got this, but the Captain's lectures were different every day. One day it would be on the history of the Canal, another day it would be on the engineering. I think one day his lecture was devoted to the new Panamax locks that we went through. Today's lecture was on the operations of the Panama Canal, and once again, I was fascinated. Being a Pilot for 16 years for the Panama Canal Authority makes Captain Puckett the ultimate insider, and he always has relevant stories and pictures and charts and graphs and the whole thing is just really absorbing.

From there we hit the “Anyone Can Cook” presentation. Chef was making jambalaya today. As I have said before, normally I would be bored to tears at a cooking demonstration, but somehow, they even manage to Disnefy cooking, and make it entertaining, even for a caveman like me! The sample jambalaya they passed around was excellent, and to top things off, Princess Tiana made an appearance and addressed her subjects. And mind you, this was Princess Tiana, not Supper Club Tiana. I wonder, if the two of them meet onboard, does the universe explode? Like when matter and anti-matter meet? Just one of those many Disney mysteries I’ll never have an answer to.

IMG_0801 (Copy).JPG

After “Anyone Can Cook”, we headed to the gym to knock out our daily work out. The only thing to note about our workout today is that we definitely started to see a drop off in the gym attendance. People’s cruise resolutions are beginning to fade. And why shouldn’t they? What’s the point of making a cruise resolution if you don’t intend on breaking it? What’s a cruise without a little self-loathing? Come on, am I right?

We hit up Cabana’s after our workout and grabbed another fantastic salad. Taking an inventory of the day’s calorie activity – we had oatmeal and fruit for breakfast; we had worked out; we had salad for lunch……we were in serious negative calorie territory. Something had to be done, and quick! Enter hand scooped ice cream. I indulged in mint-chip, DW had some fruity coconut concoction. However you spell it, it was way good!

With a full morning of lectures and workouts and eating behind us, we decided to go back to our room and hang out there for a while………which is a euphemism for nap time! DW immediately assumed her mummy-like nap position on the bed, while I relaxed on the veranda. The weather had cleared, and I was standing at the rail taking in the vast ocean seascape, and the Central America coastline beyond, when what to my wondering eyes should appear? A disturbance in the water. At first I thought it was just a turtle, but on closer examination, it was a dolphin. Then another. And another. I turned around and slid the veranda door open and called “Dolphin!” to DW. Now, by way of reminder, here's how DW feels about dolphins:

IMG_0891 (Copy).JPG

IMG_0893 (Copy).JPG

So the only thing I can think of, to compare the practiced chaos that followed is when an expecting young woman tells her husband that the baby is coming. Well- rehearsed pandemonium ensues, and so it was with us. My wife, gets up and grabs her Cannon Rebel T5I, and in one fluid motion she crosses the expanse between the bed and the balcony like a gazelle. Within 3 seconds from the sounding of the alarm, she is outside, poised, and taking pictures. And just as the expectant young mother returns from the hospital holding the proud fruits of her labor, DW returns from our vacation with this great picture!

IMG_1450 (Copy).JPG

I think this picture is funny because it's clearly about 1 second too late!

IMG_1452 (Copy).JPG

And they're getting further away, but they are still out there!

IMG_1459 (Copy).JPG

Seeing the dolphins in the wild was another cruise highlight for DW. That's not surprising. Girls and dolphins. They just want to have fun.

DW was awake and she had a nice adrenaline rush going now. There was no returning to her former zombie like trance at this point, so she took some more wildlife photos:

IMG_1504 (Copy).JPG

IMG_1508 (Copy).JPG

IMG_1509 (Copy).JPG

Oh goodness...the wildlife photos are amazing! We have seriously discussed a WBPC in 2019 or 2020...and now I am pushing even harder for it!

I must say, this is the most well written and entertaining trip report I've read yet! Are you sure you're not a novelist? I'm on the Wonder next month, first time on the ship and on a Disney Cruise. Can't wait!

I just finished reading your trip report to this point - thank you for taking the time to post such a witty and thoughtful review of your cruise. I'm enjoying it and looking forward to your next post. PC is something I'd love to cruise someday. :goodvibes:

Day 8, Sunday, April 30, Sea Day, Part II
Music Recommendation: “She’s Leaving Home” The Beatles

Here’s this:

IMG (Copy).jpg

IMG_0001 (Copy).jpg

We headed upstairs for a snack before the 6:15 show. DW made a coffee float, I did shawarma. I also got a mocha latte from Cafe Cove. The whole coffee float thing didn't appeal to me like it did to DW, but I still needed a coffee jolt since we skipped our afternoon naps in favor of dolphin watching. After getting amped up on calories and caffeine we headed to the Walt Disney Theatre for tonight’s headliner, Chuck Wagner. You can see his picture in the Navigator above. Chuck is a Broadway musical star; a veteran of many productions including “Into the Woods.” In fact, he was the first Beast in in the Broadway version of “Beauty and the Beast.” Now normally, a one person singing act might send me back to snoozeville. Not so with Chuck Wagner; this guy was amazing! One could seriously appreciate the years of training it must have taken for him to be able to be able to project like that. What a voice! In fact, we enjoyed Chuck’s performance so much, we made sure to catch his show in the atrium later in the cruise! He sang songs from several shows, and not the typical ones you’re familiar with. Even the Beauty and the Beast song he sang wasn’t one that I am acquainted with, as I’ve never seen the Broadway musical.

After Chuck Wagner’s performance, we headed to the Atrium to catch the Disney Pixar Character Party. That’s where these pictures were taken:

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0488 (Copy).JPG

IMG_0487.JPG

IMG_0493 (Copy).JPG

IMG_0494 (Copy).JPG

Parades and parties; Disney’s wheelhouse. They really know how to work a crowd into a frenzy, and this Pixar character party was no exception. We had a great time just watching all the kids (and adults) get so animated, so excited to see their favorite Pixar characters.

After the crazy Pixar antics, it was time for dinner. Tonight we are back at Triton's.

IMG_0503 (Copy).JPG

IMG_0505 (Copy).JPG

IMG_0509 (Copy).JPG

IMG_0513 (Copy).JPG

IMG_0517 (Copy).JPG

We decided to skip any late shows tonight and hit the sack earlier than we had been. The goal was to go to sleep early, so we could get up earlier and DW could make the 9:30 spin class in the gym. So after dinner, we strolled around deck 10 for awhile, and then we did some speed walking around deck 4. Despite the sun having already set, it was still warm and humid in the tropical waters of the Pacific. We knew it would cool off the closer we sailed to San Diego, but that was still 6 days away, and on that Sunday night off the coast of Central America, as we jog-walked around the perimeter of deck 4, it was sticky sweaty. I asked DW if she had enjoyed the first of 4 sea days. She said she had, and she remarked that the dolphins had been the highlight. What a shock.

IMG_1541 (Copy).JPG

Back in the room, DW demonstrated why I should never wake her from her afternoon naps, even for dolphins. Through careful maneuvering and strategic chess moves, I somehow managed to get in to the bathroom to brush my teeth before she did. Yeah I know - there's two sinks, but guess which one we both had our toothbrushes set up at. That's right. The one without the high pressure solid waste disposal system. NO ONE puts their toothbrush in there, or anything else they want to keep from the clutches of that feisty vacuum. Am I right? Remember when Auric Goldfinger was getting sucked out the window of the Lockheed JetStar at the end of the movie? That could be your toothbrush.

So anyway, I'm happily brushing my teeth in the correct bathroom for such benign activity, and all of the sudden, the Odinsleep starts to take over DW, and it manifested itself in the voice of from "Amityville Horror" saying "GET OUT."

"But honey, I just need...."

"GET OUT."

"It will only take........"

"GET OUT."

"Yes ma'am." Dejected, I finished my dental hygiene regiment in the vacuum enhanced bathroom, with a wary eye on the lid of that most dangerous sucking appliance.

I emerged from the vacuum closet, but somehow DW had managed to brush her teeth and already be in her Odinsleep before I came out. Just as well. That "Amityville Horror" voice thing she had going on was really creeping me out. And so once again I was left alone with my thoughts. I wasn't even that tired yet; this was the earliest we had gone to bed for the entire cruise. I considered the day. DW had been right - the highlight of the day was definitely the dolphins. Chuck Wagner was good, but not as cool as watching wild dolphins jump and play in the ship's wake. So what is it that's so cool about dolphins? Well, besides their ability to nearly defy the laws of gravity as they launch themselves from their native medium into the air, they seem to be intelligent, and casual observation suggests that they have a concept of family. They travel around in family groups called pods. So what do Mommy and Daddy dolphins do when one of their young female dolphin pups takes a mate? Does new dolphin son-in-law join the family pod? I think not. I think DD (dolphin daughter) goes off with son-in-law dolphin and a new pod is created.

In January of this year, 4 months before this cruise, our youngest left the pod that has nurtured her these 23 years, married her young stud dolphin and joined him in St. Louis, creating a new pod there. And while that new pod gains strength and momentum, the old pod is in decline, having lost the vitality that the pups contributed to the group. Goodnight everyone.

IMG_0586 (Copy).JPG

Last edited:

Came to hype myself up and live vicariously while I wait for my WBPC next year. Stayed for the writing style. Dying at the Odinsleep! :rotfl2: That is a powerful comparison that I will now use on my husband whenever possible.

Loving your report! I found your comments about the bathrooms funny. We never seem to have the staterooms with two bathrooms/split baths when cruising. Not sure why but then again, we live in a 1900 house and are very used to sharing a bath so I think the additional area would go to waste... or not. :)

Day 9, Monday, May 1, Sea Day
Music Recommendation: “So Happy Together” The Turtles

Today is May 1, 2017.
Today is day 9 of this awesome cruise.
Today is day 2 of 4 consecutive sea days.
Today is Frozen day.
Today is Palo Dinner day.
Today there will be no bitterness, no self-loathing, no pity parties.
Today, I turn 54. And Frozen + Palo + birthday = I win.

I woke today before my alarm went off. Not long before, as I was still putzing around the room putting on my gym clothes when the alarm sounded that it was 7:25. Previous mornings had taught me to immediately find my tip money when that alarm goes off because the 5 minute lead time I allowed myself was just barely enough. And then boom - right at 7:30, a knock on the door, the hot coffee appears, and the day has officially begun.

Here's this:

IMG (Copy).jpg

IMG_0001 (Copy).jpg

As with most cruise mornings, we took our coffee on the balcony today. We kept a watchful eye out for dolphins, but we didn't see any. We did see this guy however:

IMG_1436 (Copy).JPG

That was one of many turtles we saw today. It's really weird how they're out there all by themselves, just hanging out near the surface of the water. We saw them frequently, as we were watching for dolphins; maybe one turtle every 5 or 10 minutes. In another random sighting, we saw a hammerhead shark lazily sun basting near the surface, and though hammerheads generally don't attack men, it still gave me shivers. The shark didn't show us the courtesy of remaining near the surface while we fetched the camera, and I wasn't about to jump in and argue the point. We have frequently seen shark on the menu of many cruises we have taken; but I always opt for something, anything else. I refuse to violate an agreement that has been mutually beneficial these 54 years: I don't eat them, and they don't eat me.

IMG_1445 (Copy).JPG

Dolphins were elusive this morning, so we put on our sneakers and headed off to the gym. We got there in plenty of time for DW's spin class. I took my position on an elliptical and DW got on one of the stationary bikes that had been set up by the spin class mistress. The same South African woman taught the spin classes for the entire cruise. She also did the Pilates classes and the sunrise yoga classes on deck 9. I got a good workout on the elliptical, but nothing like folks in spin. This woman really worked them hard; It was just the kind of spin class that DW likes. With any luck, this spin class will exercise that "Amityville Horror" voice thing out of DW for good. I don't need that voice making another stateroom appearance.

IMG_1472 (Copy).JPG

Workouts complete, we wiped ourselves down with the icy cold washcloths provided in the gym. These things are crazy serious cold, and as I draped the frozen terry cloth goodness over my face, I wondered if it was possible to get brain-freeze from this non-edible frozen treat.

From there we ran off to the Buena Vista Theatre to catch Captain Ken Puckett's daily lecture. Today was going to be a Q&A day. To anyone thinking about doing a PC cruise, you really need to attend these lectures, and you're short-changing yourself if you don't. Captain Puckett answered all questions with aplomb and had just fantastic rapport with the audience. He's a charmer.

IMG_1136 (Copy).JPG

After Captain Ken, we headed off to Cabana's to make ourselves a salad. We had skipped breakfast this morning, and we were both feeling the need for some fuel. We got to Cabana's before it opened for lunch, so we wandered around for a few minutes perusing the options at the various pool side food venues. Nothing appealed to us as much as the salad we were craving, so we headed back to Cabana's and found it open for business. We reminded each other to go easy on the portion size. We had reservations at Palo for 8:00 tonight, and we were determined to go in hungry. Yeah, portion control on a cruise ship; good luck with that. I gotta give myself credit - I exercised superior will-power and commendable portion control on my salad. Not so much on the hand dipped mint chip ice cream that followed. Shut up. It's my birthday. And I'm on a cruise ship. And it's my birthday.

Our afternoon was largely unscheduled today. We had a vague notion that we wanted to use up another day at the Rainforest room, and Ridley Pearson was giving another "Kingdom Keepers" lecture at 2:00, but let's be honest. Today was all about "Frozen" at 6:00pm, and Palo at 8:00pm. I win.

After a brief recuperative siesta, we headed off to the Buena Vista Theatre for the 2:00pm "Kingdom Keeper's" lecture by Ridley Pearson. Today, he talked about his book where the characters are on a Disney cruise, and they go to Castaway Cay. Again, my DD's would have eaten this stuff up when they were pre teens. And even though his novels are for the younger crowd, we found Ridley's inside information into the behind the scenes workings of the Disney empire to be captivatingly interesting. Here's a repeat picture:

IMG_0173 (Copy).JPG

One of the cool things that Mr. Pearson did during the cruise was that he taught a "writer's workshop." DW and I didn't make that class, but I wish we would have. I've enjoyed pulling this trip report together but I also confess, sometimes I stare blankly at my computer screen, hoping for some spark of inspiration to get me through the next update.

And that's pretty much all we did that afternoon. The Rainforrest Room just didn't happen that day, and that was fine with us. I commented above that the hammerhead shark we saw seemed to be lazily basting in the morning sun. Maybe it was contagious. More likely, I was projecting my own laziness on the predator, who only seemed to be moving about without direction, when in actuality, he was hunting turtle, and accountants. But as for DW and I, even wandering about the ship aimlessly, we are just so happy together.

IMG_0767.JPG

Love the dolphin (and turtle but of course the dolphin most) photos :) My DH can attest that my friends and I could hit fairly high notes of excitement when we would spot them as were sailing in the Caribbean. I think it must be a girl thing :)

I've never really wanted to do the Panama Canal cruise, but Disney should hire you to write trip reports since yours is quite compelling and might convince me yet to do this itinerary!

Oh goodness...the wildlife photos are amazing! We have seriously discussed a WBPC in 2019 or 2020...and now I am pushing even harder for it!

It's a blast. If I can swing it, we'll do it again in 2018 or 2019.

Thanks for following!

JG

I must say, this is the most well written and entertaining trip report I've read yet! Are you sure you're not a novelist? I'm on the Wonder next month, first time on the ship and on a Disney Cruise. Can't wait!

Well thank you! LOL, novelist. I'm just a CPA who writes a lot of bland, dry audit reports. This was an opportunity to break out of that mold a little.

Thanks so much for following!

JG

I just finished reading your trip report to this point - thank you for taking the time to post such a witty and thoughtful review of your cruise. I'm enjoying it and looking forward to your next post. PC is something I'd love to cruise someday. :goodvibes:

Thanks much. It has been a challenge, but also a terrific pleasure. These sea days are kicking my behind though, trying to think about new and interesting things I haven't commented on yet.

Thanks for hanging in there with me -

JG

Woohoo, what a way to start off your birthday! If only every birthday could be spent on a Disney cruise, right? :flower1: Can't wait to read about how the rest of your birthday unfolded.

Shameless plug, I just started my Alaskan trip report :rolleyes1

I think it's a bit of an oxymoron that your relaxed sea days cause trip report anxiety. :rotfl: Still enjoying following along. All those sea days sound lovely though. :goodvibes

Yay, you're back! Happy belated birthday.

And sigh... you expressed that sadness of finally checking off a bucket list item. Though so eloquently...
We still need to find one of these PC cruises that works with our schedule!
Waiting for 2019 dates, I suppose...

All caught up. The dolphin pics are amazing. A wordsmith and a photographer makes a perfect union.

Day 9, Monday, May 1, Sea Day, Part II
Music Recommendation: “Kodachrome” Paul Simon

So with a little bit of time to kill before Frozen, we goofed around on deck, taking coyote ugly pictures of ourselves with my iphone. Tip for future reference: If you hold down the button on an iphone 7 while in camera mode - it will keep taking pictures till you stop pressing. I didn't know that. And as you can see, we were sailing into a headwind, and our hair.....what can I say. Our hair defied the laws of physics. And good taste.

IMG_0771.JPG

IMG_0772.JPG

IMG_0775.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0783.JPG

IMG_0762.JPG

IMG_0764.JPG

Waiter, there's a hair in my soup!

IMG_0765.JPG

I have 72 pictures like this. All of them worse than the next.

IMG_1311a (Copy).JPG

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!