2018 Disney Dining Plan Prices & General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a question about the alcoholic beverage. All 3 of my boys will be Disney adults (but under 21) in 2018. Do you think DH or I would be able to order an extra alcoholic beverage using their entitlement or will that not be allowed since they're under 21. The 2018 changes definitely make it not worth it for us, but if we got FD then we'd take it. We're not big drinkers but just wanted to know our options. I know we probably won't know for sure until 2018 but just wanted to get your thoughts.

I had a question about the alcoholic beverage. All 3 of my boys will be Disney adults (but under 21) in 2018. Do you think DH or I would be able to order an extra alcoholic beverage using their entitlement or will that not be allowed since they're under 21. The 2018 changes definitely make it not worth it for us, but if we got FD then we'd take it. We're not big drinkers but just wanted to know our options. I know we probably won't know for sure until 2018 but just wanted to get your thoughts.

We won't know anything for sure until we start hearing reports back in 2018 but I'd be willing to bet the answer is no. The alcoholic drink entitlement is a new layer of pure profit for Disney, since 10-20 year olds and non-drinkers will be paying the higher price based on an inclusion they cannot use. They have no reason to cut into that profit by allowing others to use their kids' drink credits for more alcohol while paying OOP for the kids' sodas.

We won't know anything for sure until we start hearing reports back in 2018 but I'd be willing to bet the answer is no. The alcoholic drink entitlement is a new layer of pure profit for Disney, since 10-20 year olds and non-drinkers will be paying the higher price based on an inclusion they cannot use. They have no reason to cut into that profit by allowing others to use their kids' drink credits for more alcohol while paying OOP for the kids' sodas.

While I tend to agree with Colleen27, at this time, Disney has no way of knowing the ages of the Disney adults on the plan when you USE the plan. It's no different than one parent ordering adult QS meals for their true Disney kids who are not in the ordering line with them. Any parent with Disney adults on the plan could be the only one in the ordering line and easily order all meals with an alcoholic beverage.

While I tend to agree with Colleen27, at this time, Disney has no way of knowing the ages of the Disney adults on the plan when you USE the plan. It's no different than one parent ordering adult QS meals for their true Disney kids who are not in the ordering line with them. Any parent with Disney adults on the plan could be the only one in the ordering line and easily order all meals with an alcoholic beverage.

I hadn't even thought about QS, I was thinking in terms of TS. I suppose there is some potential to use the plan that way at QS locations. That would be easy enough to curtail, if they wanted to, simply by requiring anyone ordering an adult beverage with their meal show proof of age when ordering but until/unless they do something like it might work...

It'll be really interesting to see how this all plays out come January!

I hadn't even thought about QS, I was thinking in terms of TS. I suppose there is some potential to use the plan that way at QS locations. That would be easy enough to curtail, if they wanted to, simply by requiring anyone ordering an adult beverage with their meal show proof of age when ordering but until/unless they do something like it might work...

It'll be really interesting to see how this all plays out come January!

As I read through your answer, the thought also occurred to me that IF Disney doesn't start enforcing the "kid's must order from a kid's menu" at QS, guests COULD order an alcoholic beverage with a kid's credit since they are not differentiated. Disney would definitely be losing money on those meals!

We will see. I would not be surprised for wdw to require I'd for each alcoholic drink purchase. Will be interesting to see the reality. Expect it to be a hot mess in January

We will see. I would not be surprised for wdw to require I'd for each alcoholic drink purchase. Will be interesting to see the reality. Expect it to be a hot mess in January

I think that's how it is most likely to go too. It would be easier than setting up kids' menus in the places that don't have them to finally separate the credits, especially since sorting the credits to account for the alcoholic drinks would require somehow formalizing the "junior" category in the system, and it involves minimal inconvenience for guests because Disney already cards pretty much everyone.

Since you can now get alcohol with meals for 2018 plan, what are the specific limitations? A lot of the menus have a specialty cocktail section with prices ranging from $10-12 per drink- are those all included with the plan?

Since you can now get alcohol with meals for 2018 plan, what are the specific limitations? A lot of the menus have a specialty cocktail section with prices ranging from $10-12 per drink- are those all included with the plan?

We don't know yet. Disney has not given any detailed information. I expect it to be very chaotic and non-specific for January diners, but hopeful that by February they will make some kind of consistent rules throughout.

At this point it is anyone's guess. So here's mine: I expect that the $10-12 cocktails will likely be included, since they're within a dollar or two of most beers and wines that the Disney restaurants serve. I expect the exceptions will be the drinks that are significantly more expensive - the $20+ ports at Rose & Crown, the $40 glass of wine at Tiffins, things like that. The outliers. Odds are it won't be too long until we see a rough price limit start to emerge, just as it did with snacks as the number of options expanded. I'm inclined to think that limit is likely to be somewhere around $12-13, which would allow guests to the choice of pretty much any beer, a good selection of wines, and the cocktails from the standard bar menu at the very least - high enough to feel like the alcohol inclusion is a good value, and low enough to remain profitable for Disney in light of the huge markup on alcohol. If history is any guide, it would also be reasonable to expect the options will be slimmer and the rules more restrictive at non-Disney-owned restaurants, more inclusive and generous at restaurants Disney owns and operates.

January will be an interesting month to watch the board, that's for sure. I was one of the guinea pigs when the DxDDP rolled out - we checked in less than two weeks into the first year it existed, but the roll out went pretty well and there wasn't a ton of confusion over the plan details. I hope this goes as well, but I'm glad I've got a few months to see it in action via trip reports before I actually experience it myself.

I just wanted to double check here - we're frequent WDW visitors but in February we are using the DP for the first time (DH, myself and DD6) - We have the traditional DP - 1 QS, 1TS and 2 snacks - DH and I can get 1 alcoholic drink at each QS and TS right? Also, when calculating our credits is it by night or by tickets? We are 4 nights with 5 day tickets - is it 4 DP days or 5? Is it expected that when the Festival of the Arts begins that some food options will count as snack credits? I looked over the menus from last year and it doesn't look like every food option was a snack but some were. If we were to get 3 snacks at one booth could we cash in a QS credit?

Sorry for all of the questions - we feel like newbies for this trip! Thanks for any help!

I just wanted to double check here - we're frequent WDW visitors but in February we are using the DP for the first time (DH, myself and DD6) - We have the traditional DP - 1 QS, 1TS and 2 snacks - DH and I can get 1 alcoholic drink at each QS and TS right? Also, when calculating our credits is it by night or by tickets? We are 4 nights with 5 day tickets - is it 4 DP days or 5? Is it expected that when the Festival of the Arts begins that some food options will count as snack credits? I looked over the menus from last year and it doesn't look like every food option was a snack but some were. If we were to get 3 snacks at one booth could we cash in a QS credit?

Sorry for all of the questions - we feel like newbies for this trip! Thanks for any help!

Yes, you can get an alcoholic drink at both QS and TS.
DDP is always based on the NIGHTS you stay, not the days you play, so you have 4.
As far as we know, if the booths have the purple snack logo next to an item, you will probably be able to combine 3 of those for 1 QS credit, but there's no guarantee, and some booths may do it and others not do it. Best way to try to do it is to get ONLY the 3 snack items in one transaction. Don't try to add alcohol or anything else to those 3, just get the 3. Have someone else buy your drinks and other items. One note: HIGHLY unlikely any of the alcoholic options at the booths will be available, so you would lose that entitlement if you choose to use a QS credit.

Yes, you can get an alcoholic drink at both QS and TS.
DDP is always based on the NIGHTS you stay, not the days you play, so you have 4.
As far as we know, if the booths have the purple snack logo next to an item, you will probably be able to combine 3 of those for 1 QS credit, but there's no guarantee, and some booths may do it and others not do it. Best way to try to do it is to get ONLY the 3 snack items in one transaction. Don't try to add alcohol or anything else to those 3, just get the 3. Have someone else buy your drinks and other items. One note: HIGHLY unlikely any of the alcoholic options at the booths will be available, so you would lose that entitlement if you choose to use a QS credit.

Wow! thank you so much for your detailed response! I really appreciate it. The tips about how to order at the booths makes perfect sense. We can always try! The world won't end if it doesn't work. Thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions.

Is there a thread somewhere that covers all the dining plan "secrets"? I mean the things that the dining plan terms don't explicitly say you can do, but that people have been able to do, like trading a QS meal for 3 snacks?

Is there a thread somewhere that covers all the dining plan "secrets"? I mean the things that the dining plan terms don't explicitly say you can do, but that people have been able to do, like trading a QS meal for 3 snacks?

There isn't a thread, but there isn't much more than that either. The trading of a QS for 3 snacks in one transaction is mostly done at the resorts, the EP festival booths, and places like Main St Confectionary and Goofy's. But it's definitely something to ask for anywhere you can get a snack. They may be able to do it; they may not.

At most resorts, you can also swap your drink for a snack since you have your refillable mug. Some resorts are only allowing a bottled drink, but the majority will let you get a dessert or some other snack. You can also ask to do this at any QS place, but the majority are no longer allowing it and will only let you get a drink.

The last one (that I know of) is that for all QS meals and then anyone using the Deluxe plan (3 TS, 2 snacks per night), kids can order from the adult menu most of the time. The brochure still says "kids must order from the kid's menu," but since some QS places don't have one, it's now standard practice to be able to get adult meals for kids' credits at all QS. And since the DxDDP can be used for QS, they can't distinguish between the adult and kids even when getting a TS meal.

There isn't a thread, but there isn't much more than that either. The trading of a QS for 3 snacks in one transaction is mostly done at the resorts, the EP festival booths, and places like Main St Confectionary and Goofy's. But it's definitely something to ask for anywhere you can get a snack. They may be able to do it; they may not.

At most resorts, you can also swap your drink for a snack since you have your refillable mug. Some resorts are only allowing a bottled drink, but the majority will let you get a dessert or some other snack. You can also ask to do this at any QS place, but the majority are no longer allowing it and will only let you get a drink.

The last one (that I know of) is that for all QS meals and then anyone using the Deluxe plan (3 TS, 2 snacks per night), kids can order from the adult menu most of the time. The brochure still says "kids must order from the kid's menu," but since some QS places don't have one, it's now standard practice to be able to get adult meals for kids' credits at all QS. And since the DxDDP can be used for QS, they can't distinguish between the adult and kids even when getting a TS meal.

Thank you so much. What about trading table service credits? I'm trying to figure out whether we should upgrade to the play, stay, dine package, which is only $850 more than what we're paying now for 2 adults and 1 child for 6 nights. I think it's usually $1050 more so that seems like a good deal to me. The only thing is that we would normally just eat at QS restaurants for the most part.

We do plan to eat at BOG, The Crystal Palace, and at Akershus, all three of which are on the pricy side. Along with the refillable mugs that's about $340 of that $850 just for 3 meals. And honestly, I would totally take advantage of eating at Akershus twice if I had TS credits. I just don't know if we'd make it to 6 TS restaurants in 6 days.

This was so helpful! For one it really explains why the staff at POFQ were (happily/nicely) forcing dessert on us (I DEFINITELY wasn't complaining though, especially for the "free" beignets :)) when we thought we didn't get dessert with QS.

Just to clarify - we are on Disney dining plan - I can order adult QS with my sons QS meals? My daughter is 2 and he is 4. We would have gotten the plan for her if we didn't have to buy tickets but this would mean they could easily share anyway.

Thank you so much. What about trading table service credits? I'm trying to figure out whether we should upgrade to the play, stay, dine package, which is only $850 more than what we're paying now for 2 adults and 1 child for 6 nights. I think it's usually $1050 more so that seems like a good deal to me. The only thing is that we would normally just eat at QS restaurants for the most part.

We do plan to eat at BOG, The Crystal Palace, and at Akershus, all three of which are on the pricy side. Along with the refillable mugs that's about $340 of that $850 just for 3 meals. And honestly, I would totally take advantage of eating at Akershus twice if I had TS credits. I just don't know if we'd make it to 6 TS restaurants in 6 days.
You could always do signature restaurants. I like trying at least one per trip :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!