2018 Disney Dining Plan Prices & General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kids are asking to go bowling at Splitsville and we have the DxDDP. Their menu is confusing. What is under the app and entree parts? I see the App section, Soup/Salad section, Sushi, Entree, Sandwiches and Pizza sections. Any help. My guess is apps and soup and salads are under apps and everything else would be entrees.

Hi, folks,

Sorry to be "that person" who says, "I'm sure the answer is in these 41 pages, but I didn't see it"....but it's true, although, I have to admit I did NOT study all 41 pages....

We are arriving on Saturday, Mar 3 - yep this Saturday! And somewhere along the line, when there was discussion about the changes to the 2018 DDP, people were saying that they thought you would be able to substitute the dessert on a TS meal for an appetizer...or was it a side...or did I dream the whole thing?????

Can someone confirm who has been to WDW recently? There will be 4 adults in our party, and it would be cool if we could split 2 desserts and 2 apps at some of the meals...

Thanks in advance.

Hi, folks,

Sorry to be "that person" who says, "I'm sure the answer is in these 41 pages, but I didn't see it"....but it's true, although, I have to admit I did NOT study all 41 pages....

We are arriving on Saturday, Mar 3 - yep this Saturday! And somewhere along the line, when there was discussion about the changes to the 2018 DDP, people were saying that they thought you would be able to substitute the dessert on a TS meal for an appetizer...or was it a side...or did I dream the whole thing?????

Can someone confirm who has been to WDW recently? There will be 4 adults in our party, and it would be cool if we could split 2 desserts and 2 apps at some of the meals...

Thanks in advance.

Not allowed. You might be able to sub a side dish for dessert, but not an appetizer.

There was, for a time, a policy of allowing a very very limited number of substitutions - usually just a side salad/vegetable or maybe a cup of soup - in place of dessert. I'm not sure if it is still being done because we don't see many reports of it here, mostly because it isn't a very good trade. And it isn't meant to be. Desserts are lower cost and lower effort than appetizers, and allowing a substitution of real appetizers would slow down table turnover as parties do exactly what you were hoping to do and stretch the two-course dining plan meal over three courses without any additional spending.

There was, for a time, a policy of allowing a very very limited number of substitutions - usually just a side salad/vegetable or maybe a cup of soup - in place of dessert. I'm not sure if it is still being done because we don't see many reports of it here, mostly because it isn't a very good trade. And it isn't meant to be. Desserts are lower cost and lower effort than appetizers, and allowing a substitution of real appetizers would slow down table turnover as parties do exactly what you were hoping to do and stretch the two-course dining plan meal over three courses without any additional spending.
Thanks... I guess if we want the apps, we'll just splurge and buy them....

Hi, folks,

Thanks in advance.

We've been able to sub the dessert for soup or salad (June was the last time we had the DP) but not appetizers.

Every now and again someone comes along and says they are always able to substitute an appetiser for the dessert, but this is not official policy and they have gotten very lucky (or are liars).

Obviously you might as well 'act dumb' and ask about the substitution, I mean the worst they can do is say no. So don't expect it, but if it does happen then appreciate the pixie dust :)

Every now and again someone comes along and says they are always able to substitute an appetiser for the dessert, but this is not official policy and they have gotten very lucky (or are liars).

Obviously you might as well 'act dumb' and ask about the substitution, I mean the worst they can do is say no. So don't expect it, but if it does happen then appreciate the pixie dust :)
This is one of those hard and fast rules that is consistently enforced. I've never seen anyone claim to have been able to swap a dessert for an appetizer, at least not a legitimate claim. There are some situations where a cheese board is on both the dessert and appetizer menus, but I haven't seen a single documented report of someone successfully swapping for an appetizer. I don't think it's even worth the ask. There will be no pixie dust. And I'm not usually that decisive on these types of things.

This is one of those hard and fast rules that is consistently enforced. I've never seen anyone claim to have been able to swap a dessert for an appetizer, at least not a legitimate claim. There are some situations where a cheese board is on both the dessert and appetizer menus, but I haven't seen a single documented report of someone successfully swapping for an appetizer. I don't think it's even worth the ask. There will be no pixie dust. And I'm not usually that decisive on these types of things.

My husband and I were able to substitute both of our desserts for the Naan bread appetizer at Sanaa. Two desserts for one Naan bread platter. We were able to do this in June of 2017 and 2016. That is the only restaurant where a substitution worked.

If using the standard plan.... It seems the snack credits roll over from day to day, how about the QS and TS? Just curious if one day we decide to have 3 meals and another day we are fine with one meal and some snacks.

If using the standard plan.... It seems the snack credits roll over from day to day, how about the QS and TS? Just curious if one day we decide to have 3 meals and another day we are fine with one meal and some snacks.
You get all your credits when you check in. Good until midnight of check out day

You can use ALL your meals on ONE day if you like. Once you check in, everything is available and can be used whenever you want. Nothing rolls over; they're just there until they're gone.

:confused3 for all we know, the exclusion of alcoholic drinks on the dining plan was a major complaint. I rarely order a beverage besides water unless it's an alcoholic beverage, in which case I also get water. So whenever I considered the dining plan before this change, the option to get a soda, iced tea or what have you didn't appeal to me whatsoever.

I know people will use the dining plan but also order alcohol or extra dishes (or whatever) and pay OOP. Maybe Disney saw enough bills like that and decided to accommodate.

But whatever the decision, it remains an option. Anyone could still order lemonade instead of a merlot. If there was a point in time to complain about Disney introducing alcohol and its potential impact on WDW as a "family destination," it was when they began offering alcohol at all, not with its inclusion on the dining plan.

I'm happy for the option, as one of those beer/ wine/ water drinkers, I've paid oop for adult beverages for years and didn't expect compensation for all of the sodas I didn't drink.

Are adult and child credits still pooled together on DxDP or have they caught on to that for 2018? Hoping to add DxDP to one of our 2 rooms and split meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter