2018 Free Dining Watch Thread V3

Thoughts on upgrading to a higher tier? I feel like that destroys the value of “free dining.” But I’m planning to renew my AP anyway, and wondering if I could make the DDP work for me.

Likely staying in a value or moderate, but would want regular DP or deluxe (dekuxe less likely).

Thanks -- though since I am going over Veteran's Day weekend (and the following days after that), I don't expect any. *shrug*
Some days may fall during the room only promo and you could possibly get it for those days. But if you have a package with tickets booked before the price went up then you may not be getting a better deal.

Thoughts on upgrading to a higher tier? I feel like that destroys the value of “free dining.” But I’m planning to renew my AP anyway, and wondering if I could make the DDP work for me.

Likely staying in a value or moderate, but would want regular DP or deluxe (dekuxe less likely).

It really depends on what resort you're looking at. Our resort of choice is Pop Century and the difference on our November dates between a Standard room vs a Preferred Pool View room is $28/night. So yes, while it might eat into some of our 'Free Dining' savings, I cannot purchase even the QSDP for myself and my DD for $28/night so Free Dining is still a significant savings for us, even over a room only discount.

Those looking at moderate or deluxe resorts might have face a different scenario as the difference is their room rates is significantly greater than those at the value resorts!

I may have misunderstood, but on the previous thread, someone mentioned that you can't modify your reservation if you have tickets to MNSSHP connected to your reservation. Is this true?...Is it just the paper tickets?...can I go ahead and buy our tickets through the website without affecting my eligibility for FD?

I'm so confused! Help!

It really depends on what resort you're looking at. Our resort of choice is Pop Century and the difference on our November dates between a Standard room vs a Preferred Pool View room is $28/night. So yes, while it might eat into some of our 'Free Dining' savings, I cannot purchase even the QSDP for myself and my DD for $28/night so Free Dining is still a significant savings for us, even over a room only discount.

Those looking at moderate or deluxe resorts might have face a different scenario as the difference is their room rates is significantly greater than those at the value resorts!

Your perspective is helpful to me! Thank you. I’m looking harder at staying at AS Music. Is the upgrade your to regular dining plan ~28 per night?

I’ll be a solo traveler, though, so I’m not sure the DP would still be best. Back to math.

The way I look at it, is if I would be willing to pay for the dining plan for my next trip (I actually am, because my dates don't line up) - Then I'm happy to get the dining plan "free" and pay that extra towards an upgraded room. This is my plan for a RO, if my dates line up. Sure, I could save money by staying where I'm at and keeping the dining plan, but I can use the RO savings to upgrade, and I'd be super happy with that!

I saw a few posts where people were thinking of rebooking instead of modifying. A reminder that if you originally booked before March 21st and plan on having a car a new reservation will then incur the new parking fees. I called to ask about it in case the wait times to get through are long and I cannot modify online. The cast member mentioned the parking fees if it ends up being a new reservation.

Last edited:
No because you are renting from an owner. The free dining promotion is only offered if you pay rack rate directly to Disney. You may save enough to add the dining plan and still save money.

That's what I thought... (Rats) Thanks for not saying "Hahahahhahahaha - No!" to me... :) I'm not quite saving money, because had we thought about free dining, I probably would have booked POR like DH wanted to, instead of begging for a BRV. Oh well...

Good luck, all!

For those who have an existing reservation with a TA and are going to try to get a new reservation as a backup plan... do you create a new MDE account to book the new reservation under? Or does the website let you make a new reservation on your existing account, even if you already have a vacation booked with the same dates?
For those who have an existing reservation with a TA and are going to try to get a new reservation as a backup plan... do you create a new MDE account to book the new reservation under? Or does the website let you make a new reservation on your existing account, even if you already have a vacation booked with the same dates?

I saw a few posts where people were thinking of rebooking instead of modifying. A reminder that if you originally booked before March 21st and plan on having a car a new reservation will then incur the new parking fees. I called to ask about it in case the wait times to get through are long and I cannot modify online. The cast member mentioned the parking fees if it ends up being a new reservation.

I have a long and maybe confusing question. We're going with my family in 3 rooms. In my parent's room, its just the 2 of them. Could we upgrade their Dining plan and then use most of their table service credits at one time for a princess meal? SO if we're there for 6 nights, they'd have 12 table service credits, could we use 6 of them at once?

I have a long and maybe confusing question. We're going with my family in 3 rooms. In my parent's room, its just the 2 of them. Could we upgrade their Dining plan and then use most of their table service credits at one time for a princess meal? SO if we're there for 6 nights, they'd have 12 table service credits, could we use 6 of them at once?
Sure, you can use the credits whenever/however you want.

That's what I thought... (Rats) Thanks for not saying "Hahahahhahahaha - No!" to me... :) I'm not quite saving money, because had we thought about free dining, I probably would have booked POR like DH wanted to, instead of begging for a BRV. Oh well...

Good luck, all!
Don’t feel too bad about free dining. Besides, BRV is an amazing resort! You’ll love the electric water pageant. Who knows if POR will be included. Everything seems to just be rumors now.

Unfortunately, your ticket prices will go up whether you modify your reservation to the FD promotion or you have to make a new reservation.

ETA:Replying to TammyE10
Wait. Maybe I missed something. The ticket prices go up? So the free dining is not technically "Free"? How much do they typically go up?

Wait. Maybe I missed something. The ticket prices go up? So the free dining is not technically "Free"? How much do they typically go up?
Ticket prices increased in Feb. So if you made a reservation before that, you have the old prices. Modifying that existing reservation would result in the new ticket prices being applied.

I may have misunderstood, but on the previous thread, someone mentioned that you can't modify your reservation if you have tickets to MNSSHP connected to your reservation. Is this true?...Is it just the paper tickets?...can I go ahead and buy our tickets through the website without affecting my eligibility for FD?

I'm so confused! Help!

There were some people who said they had linked their party tickets to MDE and now they were unable to do the "change reservation." There were some last year who had the same problem. They aren't talking about paper tickets; they are talking about the digital tickets through the website. If you can hold off one more week on buying your party tickets, I would.

Your perspective is helpful to me! Thank you. I’m looking harder at staying at AS Music. Is the upgrade your to regular dining plan ~28 per night?

I’ll be a solo traveler, though, so I’m not sure the DP would still be best. Back to math.

Your original post was a bit confusing. It looks like you're asking about upgrading the dining plan, not upgrading the resort or room, correct? If you want to go from QSDP to the regular DDP, the cost is $23 per night per adult. If you want a TS meal for every night you're staying, it's a great deal. If you only want one or two TS meals over your stay, it may not be.

If you are a solo traveller here's how I would look at the numbers. Just grabbing a date out of the air for comparison sake - I chose Saturday, Dec 1, 2018:
- Standard Room $117
- Preferred Room $144 (difference between standard room and preferred room $28)

- Cost to add Quick Service Dining Plan for 1 night is $52.59

The way I look at it, you are still saving $24.59/night even if you are 'forced' to take a preferred room. If you are able to find a standard room then you are ahead the full price of the DDP which is $52.59/night.

I will say the one number I didn't include in my numbers is the additional $69.22 to include the Park Hopper option but personally, any way I slice it, the Free Dining offer is always a better deal than the Room Only offer for those who chose to stay in VALUE resorts, regardless of whether you stay in a Standard or Preferred Pool View Room - or anything in between.

I'm really curious if it will be available over Thanksgiving like the rumor says. I love a good Thanksgiving Disney trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter