2018 Free Dining Watch Thread V3

Similar boat to many of you- I tried booking 11/24-12/1 for Pop when the offer dropped and it wasn’t available. I also booked 12/8-12/16 as a backup. I have been checking multiple times a day since the offer dropped to switch with no luck. Still holding out hope but it’s dwindling!
We needed our dates, no backup dates were an option. So we grabbed whatever FD we could and then just created new reservations for non-FD for the Nov. 22-23 and the until-Dec.2 portions of our trip.

Similar boat to many of you- I tried booking 11/24-12/1 for Pop when the offer dropped and it wasn’t available. I also booked 12/8-12/16 as a backup. I have been checking multiple times a day since the offer dropped to switch with no luck. Still holding out hope but it’s dwindling!
I understand completely when you have your heart set on certain dates.

Once I booked I found airfare for a good price and have booked dining so not looking back from our 12/8 - 12/16 dates.

Hope you find your November dates though! I think Pop is just extraordinarily busy that week though. When I had the room discount booked I tried to add 1 night to the beginning (arriving 11/23). Even though I was willing to pay rack rate and any category, there was zero availability to book a 1 night stay at Pop on Nov 23rd!

It could be because I was looking for a longer stay. I already had a room discount BB offer booked from Nov 24 - Dec 2 and was looking for those dates so quite a long stay. We went with out Plan B dates and are happy to be going Dec 8 - 16 with FD at Pop.
We will be at Pop the same time frame! Going Dec. 8 - 23 with FD (upgraded), the 8th was a later add on, though. Original res. is 9-23.

I just noticed today that the FD promo has been extended to end Aug.1st. I thought it was changed to the end of July? Did it get extended again?

Has everyone seen the new Peter Pan Floats? Key Lime flavored!!! Gonna be a lot of snack credits used on them!!! We’ll have to see if they stand a chance to become Legendary like the wonderful Dole Whips!
Yes, I don't normally go for lime, but it looks so cute I'll have to try it! There are quite a few new things to try this trip - exciting!!

Yes, I don't normally go for lime, but it looks so cute I'll have to try it! There are quite a few new things to try this trip - exciting!!

My DD and DSIL have been watching TIm Tracker andDIsney Food Bogg to see what snacks are new. There is now a List of must have snacks!

Hopefully someone can get me some advice so I don't assume anything good or bad. We booked a Sci Fi for my parents for Nov. 29, not for us since we thought our FD credits we're all allocated already. We since discovered we miscounted, then booked for all 7 of us together. But, it was late dinner and miss the evening shows. So, if we keep my parents who they are and have my crew of 5 separate, but earlier, we can still all enjoy, although we won't all be together. We are ok with that. But we couldn't get an ADR for the 5 of us. Couldn't even find room for 1 or 2. Via the cancellation thread, someone was cancelling 3. We coordinated the drop and I was able to get it for 4. I know the seating at Sci Fi is generally groups of 4. I put me, DW, DS14, DS9 on the ADR and left off DS6.

Here's the question.
Do I keep searching for that last one? Or would my DS6, who is smaller, still be able to be seated with us?

Here's the question.
Do I keep searching for that last one? Or would my DS6, who is smaller, still be able to be seated with us?

Very doubtful. Seating limits are not based on the size of the person; they are based on fire codes.

Keep checking for the 7, 3/4 or 5/2 or it is likely one of you will not be eating lunch that day.

Very doubtful. Seating limits are not based on the size of the person; they are based on fire codes.

Keep checking for the 7, 3/4 or 5/2 or it is likely one of you will not be eating lunch that day.
Ok. Thanks. Wasn't counting on it, but was hoping. Didn't want to assume one way and either wind up not eating or the other way and waste time unnecessarily looking for a single that could be squeezed in. Thanks!

Ok. Thanks. Wasn't counting on it, but was hoping. Didn't want to assume one way and either wind up not eating or the other way and waste time unnecessarily looking for a single that could be squeezed in. Thanks!
Groups of 1 and 2 can be very difficult reservations to find. You may wish to look for a group of 3 and modify it down.

Sorry, I couldn't quite follow your original question but if you have a group of 2 and group of 3 at the same time, there is no guarantee that you will be seated together or near one another in the restaurant. You may be aware of this but wanted to share just in case.

Now, I am thinking here. When you say fire codes, I assume that you imply Max capacity for the building or room. Not the car. Otherwise families of 5 with small kids would always be separated, and I don't recall that at all, when we were last there. We were 5, although the youngest was 2 at the time.

Groups of 1 and 2 can be very difficult reservations to find. You may wish to look for a group of 3 and modify it down.

Sorry, I couldn't quite follow your original question but if you have a group of 2 and group of 3 at the same time, there is no guarantee that you will be seated together or near one another in the restaurant. You may be aware of this but wanted to share just in case.
It's a group of 7. We currently have an ADR for 7, but the time is not really desired. We also have an ADR .for 2 (my mom and dad) at about 4pm. Trying to get the ADR for an earlier time for my 5, I was able to get one for 4 of the 5 at 2:15. So, the 5th member of my 5 needs a spot with us.

Now, I am thinking here. When you say fire codes, I assume that you imply Max capacity for the building or room. Not the car. Otherwise families of 5 with small kids would always be separated, and I don't recall that at all, when we were last there. We were 5, although the youngest was 2 at the time.

Yes, by fire code I do mean max capacity for the restaurant. But if you can't find an ADR for 5, there is a reason you can't; they don't have room for a 5th person, no matter how small they are.

Yes, by fire code I do mean max capacity for the restaurant. But if you can't find an ADR for 5, there is a reason you can't; they don't have room for a 5th person, no matter how small they are.
Well, what got me thinking was that Sci Fi did not have ANY room for 1. The person who was coordinating his drop specifically said his ADR was for 3. He dropped it and I could book for 4, not just 3.

I think what comes in to play is the size of the table tops from my brief experience waiting tables.

It's quite likely that a group of 3 was seated at a table that had 4 seats but the group of 3 was only using 3. You were able to book/modify it to a group of 4 as they could then use all seats at the table top rather than only 3 of them.

Changing a table from 4 people to 5 is a very different thing as you would need to be seated at a location that is designed to hold 5 seats. Many tables are only designed for 4. (I cannot speak to Sci Fi as I have not eaten there yet). The restaurant now needs to find a table that is designed for 5 or 6 people is my guess in order to accommodate your family of 5.

When I book dining I normally book for 2 of us and some restaurants it's almost impossible (even at 6am, 180 days out) to book a reservation for 2 people. What I do is then look for groups of 3 and modify it down to 2. That has been more successful in my experience. Possibly you can look for a reservation for 6 people, book it and then attempt to modify it to 5?

I think what comes in to play is the size of the table tops from my brief experience waiting tables.

It's quite likely that a group of 3 was seated at a table that had 4 seats but the group of 3 was only using 3. You were able to book/modify it to a group of 4 as they could then use all seats at the table top rather than only 3 of them.

Changing a table from 4 people to 5 is a very different thing as you would need to be seated at a location that is designed to hold 5 seats. Many tables are only designed for 4. (I cannot speak to Sci Fi as I have not eaten there yet). The restaurant now needs to find a table that is designed for 5 or 6 people is my guess in order to accommodate your family of 5.

When I book dining I normally book for 2 of us and some restaurants it's almost impossible (even at 6am, 180 days out) to book a reservation for 2 people. What I do is then look for groups of 3 and modify it down to 2. That has been more successful in my experience. Possibly you can look for a reservation for 6 people, book it and then attempt to modify it to 5?
Well, the thing specifically about Sci Fi is that each "table" is an old classic car that seats 4, 2 in front and 2 in the back. But they are bench seats with a flat, non-divided "dashboard" that serves as your table. None are bigger or smaller than any other. That's what gets me. They won't separate a family of 5 with small children into 2 tables. They didn't with us in 2015, though our youngest was 2 (almost 3) at the time. He will be a very small 6 (12-14% height/weight) and can easily fit, sit, and eat in a row with one parent and the 9 year old.

Well, the thing specifically about Sci Fi is that each "table" is an old classic car that seats 4, 2 in front and 2 in the back. But they are bench seats with a flat, non-divided "dashboard" that serves as your table. None are bigger or smaller than any other. That's what gets me. They won't separate a family of 5 with small children into 2 tables. They didn't with us in 2015, though our youngest was 2 (almost 3) at the time. He will be a very small 6 (12-14% height/weight) and can easily fit, sit, and eat in a row with one parent and the 9 year old.

And that's why I'm saying if there are no ADRs for 5, they are at capacity for either fire code or servers they have scheduled for that time period. Keep checking. Set up a reservation finder on Touring Plans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter