2018 Princess Half Marathon

Yes absolutely . I feel I should be right around the 2:35-2:45 mark but sadly my Pot from my last 10k was a bit slower . I will do another 10k in October and hopefully will have a better time if my knee has healed a bit .Otherwise I will just estimate the 2:45 and hope for the best in corral placement . Agreed that a run goes much smoother if you are within a comfortably paced corral . Thanks for your help .

What do you usually eat the night before a long run?

For me - I don't like anything fried or spicy or heavily sauced, so of the places you mentioned (Rose & Crown, Yak & Yeti, Tusker House and Teppan Edo), I'd probably go with Teppan Edo first - no question - and then maybe Yak & Yeti second and only eat potstickers or one of the Lo Mein noodle dishes with dialed back spices.

Tusker House would be out for me because I don't do buffets during a race weekend, and Rose & Crown last because the menu is not my favorite at all.

I actually do not do an ADR. I eat so bland, it would be a waste of money.

That's my problem, I've never done a run longer than 6.5 miles and I don't eat anything special the night before. I think I might just go with Tsuker house since they have salads, carved meat, and veggies which is basically what I eat on a regular night anyway. I guess I can always see how I do during my training and go from there if I need to make adjustments.

I don't eat anything different for a half than what I eat for 6.5 miles. Lean protein, cooked veggies, plus a carb that isn't too heavy. At Disney, this equates to roasted turkey breast, mashed potatoes, steamed veggies, and cornbread. This is literally what I eat for dinner for 3 days. It's boring, but it tastes good, and I've never had GI issues during a race!

First, you only need a POT if your Half estimate is 2 hours 45 minutes or faster. If your estimate is not that speedy don't worry about it.

If your estimate requires POT but you don't get a POT that matches your estimate, change your estimate. They will NOT go with your estimate if your submitted POT is slower and they will likely throw you into the last corral. So when you submit through active.com, go in and also change your estimate.

This is kind of what I'm trying to think now. I put down the 2:31 to 2:45 range, because that's where I am healthy. I'm working by way back up to that, and I'm pretty confident I'll be there by February. I just don't know if I'll be there before November 14, when POT is due.

I already knew that my stomach was sensitive by 6 miles. If yours isn't yet, you stand a chance of just not having a troublesome digestive system.

Exactly. Maybe you're lucky! I'm not!

Good luck!

Thank you ! Good luck at the orthopedist!

Thanks to both of you. It was NOT a good visit. I'm still not sure what his prognosis is, because he seemed intent on saying cute things like "I don't expect you to understand all this", and insisting that I had been pigeon-toed since birth. I. Have. Not. I promise my mom would have noticed, told me, told my pediatrician, and gotten it FIXED if this were true. And it's not true. I am willing to admit that I sickle my feet (I take ballet and fight against it), but I haven't been doing that since birth. Short achilles, short calves (what does THAT mean?), heel lifts (doesn't that CAUSE short tendons?), orthotics (ignoring me that I get blisters because they are NEVER wide enough), and see you in 6 weeks to see if he needs to surgically create longer tendons.....yeah. OK.

So off to another orthopedist, and to get PT right now, acupuncture, serious massage to help my tendons relax, etc. Gah.

Caveat: because that's what I actually run. I do not endorse entering that time if one knows he/she is going to be slower. I stick to my motto that the "best" corral is the one that matches your speed!

Totally. So do whatever it takes to NOT get injured after putting in a realistic time!

Smart to seek a second opinion . You may even want to consider adding a chiropractor into the mix . Best of luck !

OH my chiro has kept me and my ankles (and everything else) healthy this whole time, but it finally hit a level that was too much pain and not enough ability. :)

That's what I have done.

And if I recall correctly there were something like three corrals all with the 2:50 time this year. Which is cool (that they didn't mush us all together)and frustrating at the same time.

Sitting here at the ankle/foot orthopedist waiting to see him...
I have done the same thing... not submitting my POT and in 5k and 10k's I have landed in A (when I should be in B or C as all of them went through E) and for the half I was put in E for the princess last year when I submitted the first option without submitting a POT.... the one time I did enter a POT (for the inaugural dumbo) I was placed in the last corral, though they changed it for me (before they stopped doing that for us).

I am curious where I am going to end up as well since this is my first Princess weekend! I have a 10K POT that is pretty much the same, like 30 seconds faster when converted to half time, then my PB half POT. i expect to be faster then that though by the time we get to race weekend. Has anyone put the corral slightly faster then the POT or do you put the corral that matches. I have always put the faster one for runDisney and local events! LOL

I am curious where I am going to end up as well since this is my first Princess weekend! I have a 10K POT that is pretty much the same, like 30 seconds faster when converted to half time, then my PB half POT. i expect to be faster then that though by the time we get to race weekend. Has anyone put the corral slightly faster then the POT or do you put the corral that matches. I have always put the faster one for runDisney and local events! LOL

If your estimated time requires a POT (2:45 Half or faster) and your POT is slower than your estimate, they either put you with your POT or they treat you like you didn't submit POT and put you in the last corral. I wouldn't risk that.

If your estimated time doesn't require POT be (2:50 and longer) then you don't need POT and it doesn't matter. Estimate what your time will
be after training.

If your estimated time requires a POT (2:45 Half or faster) and your POT is slower than your estimate, they either put you with your POT or they treat you like you didn't submit POT and put you in the last corral. I wouldn't risk that.

If your estimated time doesn't require POT be (2:50 and longer) then you don't need POT and it doesn't matter. Estimate what your time will
be after training.

I estimated 2:31-2:45. I'm pretty confident I'll be there by February, but I'm not sure if I'll be there by the deadline for POT. Should I just let it go, or submit a POT even if it's not matching my estimate? I'm not new at all, but I'm new to not having a good POT.

I estimated 2:31-2:45. I'm pretty confident I'll be there by February, but I'm not sure if I'll be there by the deadline for POT. Should I just let it go, or submit a POT even if it's not matching my estimate? I'm not new at all, but I'm new to not having a good POT.

Do you have any races that give you that POT? You can choose your best race from Febuary 2016 forward. I used a 10k since I'm not up to running a 1/2 yet.

I personally wouldn't risk the last corral and would change the estimate to 2:50.

Noticed that January weekend medals are released. Maybe it won't be long for Princess's medals!

Do you have any races that give you that POT? You can choose your best race from Febuary 2016 forward. I used a 10k since I'm not up to running a 1/2 yet.

2016-2017 have been rough so far, so I don't have a decent 10K that is older.

I personally wouldn't risk the last corral and would change the estimate to 2:50.

I'm going to go ahead and try a 10K and see what happens. If it's not as good as what I estimated, I will probably do that.

Recently, I decided to get into shape and running has helped me. The Disney Princess Half will be my first half marathon event, which I'm excited, but also a little nervous. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and hopefully we can meet up at the event.

We'll be right there with you! The day after Thanksgiving 2016, I hit my breaking point and decided I really had to get into shape... so I started running with the intent to run the 2018 Princess Half Marathon for my 38th birthday. I ended up running my first HM this past May, and my husband was so excited that he's registered to run the Princess Half with me as his first half marathon! :)

I'm only doing the 5k, mostly because I've never been a runner and was scared to sign up for anything else. Since then I've had surgery for a few things in my knee and my doctor told me he would prefer if I don't try to run/jog anymore.... So, my question is, for those of you that have participated in the 5k, are there people that walk the whole thing? I can walk fast enough to stay within the time limits, it's just embarrassing to have to walk the whole thing....

I'm only doing the 5k, mostly because I've never been a runner and was scared to sign up for anything else. Since then I've had surgery for a few things in my knee and my doctor told me he would prefer if I don't try to run/jog anymore.... So, my question is, for those of you that have participated in the 5k, are there people that walk the whole thing? I can walk fast enough to stay within the time limits, it's just embarrassing to have to walk the whole thing....

I can't speak to a runDisney 5k because I've never done one, but I've done 5 runDisney half marathons and have walked all of them from start to finish. There are lots of walkers out there, and my friend and I maintain a faster pace than many of the racers doing run/walk intervals. Nothing to be embarrassed about as long as you can meet the minimum pace.

So, my question is, for those of you that have participated in the 5k, are there people that walk the whole thing? I can walk fast enough to stay within the time limits, it's just embarrassing to have to walk the whole thing....
No reason to feel embarrassed at all! Yes, there will be LOTS of folks who walk it, as well as the 10K and the half. You would not be alone! I'll also share that they've never actually held to the 16:00 pace for the 5Ks in the past. If someone were truly unable to continue, I'm sure they'd pick them up, but otherwise, it's a very lenient race. I believe the longest I took in a WDW 5K was 1.5 hours thanks to lots of strolling and stops for pictures.

For those making your own run costume, do you have a source for tech shirts without a giant logo on them? I do not trust myself to make the entire shirt knowing the slippery, stretchy material will cause a quantity of cursing suitable only for a witch costume. All of my local stores carry branded gear and that simply will not due for my plan.

I can't speak to a runDisney 5k because I've never done one, but I've done 5 runDisney half marathons and have walked all of them from start to finish. There are lots of walkers out there, and my friend and I maintain a faster pace than many of the racers doing run/walk intervals. Nothing to be embarrassed about as long as you can meet the minimum pace.

No reason to feel embarrassed at all! Yes, there will be LOTS of folks who walk it, as well as the 10K and the half. You would not be alone! I'll also share that they've never actually held to the 16:00 pace for the 5Ks in the past. If someone were truly unable to continue, I'm sure they'd pick them up, but otherwise, it's a very lenient race. I believe the longest I took in a WDW 5K was 1.5 hours thanks to lots of strolling and stops for pictures.

Thank you both so much, makes me feel much more comfortable! Maybe I can talk my sister into walking with me so that we can get lots of pictures!

Absolutely. I've done it twice and I definitely wasn't the only one. I was injured the first time I walked it and it took me over an hour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter