2019 Disneyland Paris Marathon Weekend

24-27 September 2020.

OMG, thank you, thats brilliant. My cruise mates will miss Run Weekend, phew, as our cruise ends Friday 18 September which is the weekend BEFORE Run Weekend. I think they are planning to travel to DLP on either Friday 18 September or Saturday 19 September.

It was cold this morning but I’m glad I had my windbreaker and compression socks on to help with the weather.

My only comment was I hope people realize this race is in a country that speaks French. Many of the runners don’t speak English so having a melt down at a person screaming that they didn’t say “on your left” doesn’t mean a thing. I heard the person say Pardon but the group in front of me lost their composure this morning.

My husband started in B and was frustrated by people walking 4 to 7 across when he’s trying to run but he wasn’t doing this for time. He knows tomorrow should be better as it’s no longer a fun run atmosphere. He still finished in 59 minutes including a bathroom break today so it didn’t affect him too much as his PR is around 51 minutes. I’m sure all the food and wine the last two weeks affected him more.

My only comment was I hope people realize this race is in a country that speaks French. Many of the runners don’t speak English so having a melt down at a person screaming that they didn’t say “on your left” doesn’t mean a thing. I heard the person say Pardon but the group in front of me lost their composure this morning.

That's awful.

I do think tensions run extra high at the DLP races due to the randomly sorted corrals. At any race, as well, there always seem to be people who take it as a personal affront if someone is faster and passes them, even if it's done politely.:confused3

That's awful.

I do think tensions run extra high at the DLP races due to the randomly sorted corrals. At any race, as well, there always seem to be people who take it as a personal affront if someone is faster and passes them, even if it's done politely.:confused3
That, but also that it's not mentioned anywhere besides the information PDF. Not all received this in print, I only received it digital. As I've done it before, I skipped basically everything and went straight to the corrals & route pages. And to be honest, during my first run in 2016, I didn't know there was an etiquette till I saw it happening during the run. I think it's the same for most recreational runners.

If they announced it before the race, in both English and French they would be able to inform the majority of the runners. Or maybe make a little video and add it to the instructions PDF / e-mails etc. they could educate people better on forehand. Then I'm sure there will still be people not sticking to it, but then at least Disney knows they have done everything about it.

That's awful.

What I found frustrating about the passing was more the etiquette (or lack thereof) than the fact of being passed. I've always been under the impression that slower runners/walkers should stay to the right and faster people pass on the left. But the convention here seems to be slower runners in the middle and faster runners pass on both sides? Because on my walk breaks, I had several people fly past me on the far right side of the course and nearly bowl me over, and one who hit me so hard he knocked my phone out of my right hand and onto the pavement (fortunately it didn't break).

I think I messed up our Photopass 😣 We did the parks + multi-run for me and my husband. For our ride photos, I've been just taking a picture of the ID number on the screen, assuming we could link them to our Photopass later. But I visited the site today, and it says that you have to have your Photopass card scanned at the attraction. They must recycle the photo numbers pretty quickly because all of ours (even from like 2 hours ago) are already coming up as invalid! So I may have just wasted money upgrading to the version that includes the parks.

I've always been under the impression that slower runners/walkers should stay to the right and faster people pass on the left. But the convention here seems to be slower runners in the middle and faster runners pass on both sides?

Honestly, every large race I've attended the practice has been for slow people to keep to the middle and allow faster people to pass on the outside. If you look up the race etiquette from Road Runners Club of America and Runner's World they both concur with this. Passing on the left is the standard if you're out for a recreational run on pathways (apparently you pass on the right if it's on a track.)

I'm sorry that someone hit you so hard that your phone flew out of your hand, though. Disney is a fun run, they really should've slowed up rather than hit you.

Honestly, every large race I've attended the practice has been for slow people to keep to the middle and allow faster people to pass on the outside. If you look up the race etiquette from Road Runners Club of America and Runner's World they both concur with this. Passing on the left is the standard if you're out for a recreational run on pathways (apparently you pass on the right if it's on a track.)

I'm sorry that someone hit you so hard that your phone flew out of your hand, though. Disney is a fun run, they really should've slowed up rather than hit you.

The Disneyland Paris event guide and race rules both specifically say that if you need to slow down to move to the righthand side of the course, though. Even if the middle of the course is the convention (it hasn't been, in my experience, although I admittedly haven't run any major races or anything), I would think the specific event rules would govern.

I think I messed up our Photopass 😣 We did the parks + multi-run for me and my husband. For our ride photos, I've been just taking a picture of the ID number on the screen, assuming we could link them to our Photopass later. But I visited the site today, and it says that you have to have your Photopass card scanned at the attraction. They must recycle the photo numbers pretty quickly because all of ours (even from like 2 hours ago) are already coming up as invalid! So I may have just wasted money upgrading to the version that includes the parks.

I don’t know if they changed their system, but I made a similar mistake last year and many, many emails (and phone calls) later I was able to get it fixed.

If you’re still in DLP, try to get it fixed before you leave. Much harder once home!!

I don’t know if they changed their system, but I made a similar mistake last year and many, many emails (and phone calls) later I was able to get it fixed.

If you’re still in DLP, try to get it fixed before you leave. Much harder once home!!

I checked this morning, because I was curious, to my knowledge it has never been possible to use the number to use in the app.

At Big Thunder Mountain there is a sign above the pictures indicating that you have to remember the number and go to the counter. At Buzz Lightyear it doesn't say that, but there is a sign: 'your photo is used by Euro Dsiney Associes SCA. To allow you to see it and order it and will be deleted from it's systems within a few hours. At Buzz (don't remember it from other rides), there is a QR code on the screen where your photo is displayed. When you open the app, scan the QR code you can add the picture to your app.

And here are my thoughts on the half marathon and the entire weekend.

The corrals opened about 15 minutes late, no idea why. There was some running by fanatics as soon as they opened, but we were still able to stand close to the front. The interviewers (the man and the woman from the first days) were together and decided to chose the fanatics to karaoke a Whole New World, including choreography... There was some pushing when the corral opened to go to start. For next year, it would be good to have a third screen closer to the start so people can see it from there as well. We couldn't see the warm up (we were standing too close together anyway for a proper warm up).
Other issue we faced at the front of corral A were at least two fanatics who never heard about personal hygiene and I'm not sure they changed shirts per run... sometimes it was wise to breathe through your mouth ;-)

After the pain in my leg at the start of the 5K, I really doubted if I was able to make it through all 3 races. During the half my legs didn't hurt anymore, but they were sore. As my friend had a major cold, we decided to run together (instead of each at her own pace) and take it slower. We were able to enjoy the run more, stopped for pictures. We were in Corral A and it really made a difference from Corral C last year to get in queues for pictures. The queue for Pocahontas and John Smith was long from the beginning. I sort of regretted not stopping, we assumed there would be princess/prince couples and discussed which ones we hadn't seen on previous Disney visits. Pocahontas and John Smith were on that list. But on the other hand, the queue was long, we still had a long way to go and we're not that fond of Pocahontas anyway. Really happy with Shang and Mulan in warrior outfit. Pity we didn't see Tarzan & Jane, who were on the list, but we were there at the wrong time. But you need some goals for the future! :)

When we passed Stitch & Angel it was possible to take your picture with them. They both had separate queues. However, later in the run, they were just there to waive. I'm not sure how I feel about the characters waiving. Rapunzel & Flynn just entered while I was passing the bridge, saw Esmeralda & Phoebus and Megara & Hercules. It's really nice, but it takes you out of your pace. For a meet & greet you really stop and wait, catch your breath etc. The posing characters were a bit of in between, trying to get a picture on the run, while slowing down a bit... One part of me thinks it's nice, the other part wants to meet these characters as well.

I enjoyed the route, the only thing they really need to fix are the amounts of holes in the road backstage. They did do their best to mark them in all sorts of ways, with lights, or with spray paint etc. but the condition was really poor. I saw one person being carried out at the very beginning, I take it either she fell in one of those or came across a fanatic. And when I came back to the Expo to get my challenge medals, I saw someone with some serious new bruises on her arm.

I heard there were problems with the bibs (people having the wrong name on it, or missing bibs), but for me everything went smoothly, before and after the run.
Happy with New Port Bay club level. We made good use of the lounge and the room. Staff was very friendly. Only downside was a. it was the hotel were the volunteers were briefed, so we were caught at security behind a group of 50 volunteers on our way to the corrals, b. after the 10K & half we had to go around the lake instead of the short route, and c. when you get to the hotel, coming from the parks, you first have to climb a flight of stairs :P My legs didn't approve of that.

I had the ride photopass cards that needed to be combined with the Run & Parks card. Not an easy process

Only downside was a. it was the hotel were the volunteers were briefed, so we were caught at security behind a group of 50 volunteers on our way to the corrals, b. after the 10K & half we had to go around the lake instead of the short route, and c. when you get to the hotel, coming from the parks, you first have to climb a flight of stairs :P My legs didn't approve of that.

I have the same "complaint" 😂 about Sequoia Lodge! Multiple flights of stairs, unless you wanted to wait for a tiny, slow elevator, go up one floor, then walk across to the main elevators. That's ok, I told myself it was helping to keep the lactic acid moving out of my legs! And truthfully, I wasn't sore at all the entire week (thanks to marathon training). My only real complaint was my feet hurting from being on them 12+ hours a day for 5 days straight.

My Magic Run Weekend

Wednesday - Arrived late, did some shopping and slept early
Thursday - Fell on an easy morning run, hurt both knees, elbow and right hand. Visit Expo, got BIBs & Shirts, did not buy a rD Jacket, damn ;)
Friday - 5K Ran with girlfriend, started from Corral D, liked the Course, did mostly Run / Walk, hated RunnersEtiquette, Character Queues have been awful
Saturday - 10K Ran alone, did a DLS, started with the Ballon Ladies, RunnersEtiquette was OK, was more of an easy run. Enjoyed the Swimming Pool at one of the Hotels
Sunday - HM Ran alone, started from Corral B, ran slower than expected, but OK. PRed and happy about the Race at all. RunnersEtiquette was OK, Enjoyed the Parks later and had Dinner at Garden Plazza
Monday - Enjoyed Disneyland Park and headed home

That was my Weekend, fast forward ;) Anyway, I saw a lot of dangerous & stupid situations. A "FB friend" of mine was pushed, fall hard and found out later at home, his arm was broken. After all they should ask for a real Proof Of Time and not for an expected time. Saw some people cheating, like that Genie how was also filmed at the start of the Half. Passed him twice, but he and his friend never passed me! Magic!

Waiting now for the BIB Only Sale for 2020, hoping for something special and then I maybe done with runDisney France for a while.

Hello all, Congrats on your race(s)!!

Wednesday I flew back to Canada and then today it was back to work ( I am looking forward to the weekend and spending some quality time with my couch :) )

What was everyone's favourite part of the race weekend??

Hello all, Congrats on your race(s)!!

Wednesday I flew back to Canada and then today it was back to work ( I am looking forward to the weekend and spending some quality time with my couch :) )

What was everyone's favourite part of the race weekend??
What was yours???

For me it was that by coincidence me and my friend had to run together. Normally we each run at our own pace, normally I am a bit faster than her. But because of the pain in my leg for the 5 and the 10k, I stayed behind her and tried to keep of with her. As long as I could see her back, I kept going. For the half, my leg was doing better, but her cold was getting worse. So I matched my pace with hers so we could do it together again, I needed her first, now she needed me. Afterwards we agreed that this helped us both to keep us going. We enjoyed the surroundings, characters and picture ops better.

Back into the USA this morning with these thoughts. I did the 36K challenge as a casual runner/walker. Loved the crowd interaction, loved the enthusiasm of the CM's, and loved the support from the other runners. I ended up in corral B somehow so that allowed me to make it more of a fun run than a competitive time. I don't recall seeing as many characters in Run Disney races in Florida or CA, there were all over the parks. The Expo is not nearly as big as Florida. The "newscast" prerace was boring, the announcers need to be at the start and hype the crowd up. I went up a size on shirts but needed to go up 2, I was able to replace 2 of 5. The medals are amazing.

I tried to stay right to let runner's pass, my times are usually in the 60 percentile in Florida, my goal was to be closer to 90 in Paris as the races are more competitive. With so many photo opps though on the left side, I did cut across and tried to go back right as soon as I could, so I apologize if anyone was slowed down as a result.

Overall I loved the experience and plan on going back to run again in a few years. This is my best race experience and I would encourage any US based RunDisney fan to make the trip. The 36K entry was less than $200 US Dollars, with it being closer to $500 for the Florida races now. Hotel costs were about the same, but park admission is cheaper. Going to Paris to run is actually cheaper than running in Florida on a total cost factor-including flights when on sale. Thanks to Disney for the hospitality and thanks to everyone on the boards here for the tips to make this a great experience. We'll be back soon.

Has anyone else have problems with the photopass. It definitely isn't as easy as the usa photopass.
I tried to register but the number keeps saying invalid

I am more of a runner than a Disney-addict, so this report might have a slight emphasis on the running part. This was our second Disney run weekend in Paris.
We booked our hotel (Sequoia Lodge), bibs and Photopass with the exclusive travel partner for the Netherlands, to avoid the virtual scramble during the bib-only sale. This year we travelled by direct Thalys train from the Netherlands, which worked out being cheaper (and more relaxed) than driving.
Left on Friday morning, arrived at Sequoia Lodge shortly before noon. Checking was at the group check-in facility (outside, near the Golden Forrest lounge entrance). There was literally no one in line and the room was ready. We then proceeded to the Expo, walked straight up to the 36K challenge area. Like last year on Friday afternoon, there were NO lines. Had the pictures taken and the Photopass activated.
Meals: we had a light dinner at Earl of Sandwich on Friday, an early dinner on Saturday at Rainforest Café and the buffet on Sunday at Plaza Gardens. Breakfast was available at Sequioa Lodge from 5AM onwards, and with the plastic bracelet (given only to runners) we had access to a second breakfast session. I did ask the waiter until what time, but got an unclear answer. On Sunday, it did seem to be available still at 10:30.

Corrals:
Found out we were assigned different corrals. Unlike last year, they did seem to have taken into account the predicted finish times for the half marathon. As we wanted to run the 5 and 10 K together, I opted to start for these in corral C. For the half marathon, I did start in my own corral A, which definitively had more trained/experienced runners than corral C. Last year the corrals had a really mixed crowd, so I found that this year was a big improvement on that.
Actually, someone here commented on PoT selection for the half marathon. In fact you could have submitted a PoT: “If you are able to finish the Disneyland Paris–Val d’Europe Half Marathon in less than 1:30 hours, a proof of time will be required to be part of the first group's departure. Otherwise no proof of time is required, you will only have to enter a time higher than 1:30 hours.” As far as I could see, this first group of runners had an “E” on their bibs.
There will always be runners who put down an unrealistic finish time. In fact, at Disney this will certainly be the case, as the earlier you start, the better chances you have for character pictures with short waiting lines. There’s actually not a lot you can do about this, except for PoT, OR perhaps have the character pics nearer the end of the course.
Entertainment at the start, I personally found much better than last year. Although it did help that I understand both English and French. I noticed the presenters did forget to switch to English sometimes.

Logistics:
Having Corral A near the start made much more sense than last year’s layout.
Costumes: although the rules said no long robes and no total face covering, I did see several people who did wear these.

Etiquette:
It might be the custom in the US to pass on both sides and saying “on your left” or “on your right” , this is something very few European runners will understand or stick to. I did do some research, but cannot find any “European” rules. The Berlin marathon simply says: “Take care when passing. Please watch out for your fellow runners when you change lanes or approach a refreshment point.” The whole point is to be aware of your surroundings and your fellow participants. For this reason NYRR and the Berlin marathon inter alia prohibit or discourage the use of headphones (and mobile devices). While I was waiting for the 3 countdowns at Disney, I was surrounded by people recording the moment on their mobile phone. During the race people suddenly cut across for a photo opportunity with a km marker, etc. I knew this from past experience, but it is something to be aware of. Disney Runs are not suited for a PB attempt.

The race itself: half marathon route included the trip through the village again. Bit of a strange place actually, as if passing through a ghost town :-). Beware the course is not flat. Plenty of water, sport drinks, toilets etc. on the way. And enough supplies at the finish line as well. We did not use gear drop or changing facilities.

Photopass: Better than last year, although we are missing the pictures taken at the expo after picking up the bibs, and I am missing my half marathon medal pictures taken before the white board, just outside Studios.
We will be back next year in September! The Princess weekend has short runs, for which we will not be travelling over to France.

Actually, someone here commented on PoT selection for the half marathon. In fact you could have submitted a PoT: “If you are able to finish the Disneyland Paris–Val d’Europe Half Marathon in less than 1:30 hours, a proof of time will be required to be part of the first group's departure. Otherwise no proof of time is required, you will only have to enter a time higher than 1:30 hours.” As far as I could see, this first group of runners had an “E” on their bibs.
There will always be runners who put down an unrealistic finish time. In fact, at Disney this will certainly be the case, as the earlier you start, the better chances you have for character pictures with short waiting lines. There’s actually not a lot you can do about this, except for PoT, OR perhaps have the character pics nearer the end of the course.
First group were the wheelchairs, blind people, people with assistance, etc.
Second group were the invited people (relation to the sponsor etc.) I heard each company had 20 bibs to give away.
Third group were the 1:30 group
Fourth group and onwards were the regular corrals.

I heard in the corral the division was, 1:30 - 2:00 hours was corral A, 2:00 - 2:30 was corral B etc., not sure if this is true.
What I found surprising that in the Dutch Facebook group most people said they ended up in corral A, while in the international Facebook group most people seemed to be in B.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter