2020 dining plan- credits are now adult and child specific

Status
Not open for further replies.
My DS11 doesn’t like anything off the adult menu for BOG for lunch. Does this mean we won’t be able to use an adult QS credit for a grilled cheese sandwich?

credits are defined to purchase a specific category of meal

an adult credit cannot purchase a child meal unless the restaurant can create an adult meal Containing the desired food item

My DS11 doesn’t like anything off the adult menu for BOG for lunch. Does this mean we won’t be able to use an adult QS credit for a grilled cheese sandwich?

when my daughter was a picky eater a few years ago we ordered a kids meal when we had dining plan for her (even though she was “adult” age). The lady checked us in and said that was a waste of money and asked if she wanted an adult sized meal of it. She said sure. The lady said that sometimes they can do that but sometimes they can’t. She called someone and then ordered an adult sized portion of the meal for her. So it is possible they will upsize the meal and use the credit

Not based on my experience. I was told their computer can't process it that way. You could certainly purchase him a kid meal separately if you wanted, but that's annoying when you already have a dining plan.

They will no longer be able to use child’s QS credits to get adult QS meals. In the past, the system didn’t distinguish between adult & child credits. Now it does and childs QS credits will only be good for kids meals. This is a loophole in their system that has now been closed.

3-9 on a meal plan must order child menu items only.

qs credits and dxdp credits, prior to 1/1/20, were pooled and could be redeemed for adult meals. Now there are child credits and adult credits for all meal credits.
snack credits are not impacted

My wife and our 7 year old are both on gluten free diet, so kiddo is used to eating the same as mom, instead of kids meal such as hot dog, nuggets, and Uncrustables. Despite having DDP makes the trip feel more all inclusive, this change makes it less valuable vs. its high cost. If I ditch DDP, I don’t need to stay onsite, and can use the savings for parking/Uber/Lyft and pay OOP for food. No more waiting for slow bus either. Thanks Disney for helping me decide.

HI there! We're back from a split stay, DDP for the first part and DXDP for the second. We've had the dining plan in the past and DS4 really enjoyed adult entrees more than the kids, he would eat salmon every meal if he could. So our plan was to just order family style and share, knowing DH and I would likely end up eating his kid's meal. Here's a quick report on our experience.

Quick Service:
Geyser Point: Yes! This really is a QS credit! Excellent for adults and DS4 really liked the finger food Kids Meal. I think this was the only Kids Meal he ate the entire meal himself.

Be Our Guest (breakfast): We pre-ordered. The family in front of us (2 adults + 2 kids), pre-orded 4 kids meals, but were only able to use the 2 on their plan. I wouldn't plan on using extra kids credits at BoG. Other QS where you mobile order and don't cash-out with a Cast Member will let you, but it seems BoG will not. When we "paid" the Cast Member insisted on two separate orders. The Kids Meal first and then adults. Messed up our substitution (which we've always ordered) but the excellent servers in the dining room made up for it. DS4 ate everyone's fruit cup and that's it. Thankfully Dad is happy to clear his plate for him.

D-Luxe Burger: We mobile ordered two kids meals and two floats (snack credits!) The burger or chicken sandwich kids meal (with double fries) are definitely a nice lunch for an adult. DS4 had a few bites and a few sips. We bring along nutritious snacks we know he'll love because he really doesn't eat much at restaurants.

Polite Pig: The kids meal here looked sparse compared to the excellent adult meals, that's why we had two kids credits to use at D-Luxe. The half chicken meal is plenty to share, especially if you substitute the coleslaw (meh) for a full side. Well worth the $4 out of pocket. And DS4 was able to eat the salmon he always asks for :)

Docking Bay 7: It's great that the Kids Meals are mostly smaller versions of the adults! We thought this was an excellent use of the adult AND child credits.

On the regular DDP, we did all character dining/packages for our table service so the kids credits were straight forward. The nights we had Deluxe DP were a little more complicated.

Table Service (all deluxe credits):
'Ohana: straightforward use of our credits, just wanted to mention that this was the only restaurant that offered DS4 a specialty drink. He LOVED his virgin fruity concoction. I'd be interested in other restaurants that offer kids fun drinks. I'll be sure to ask every time during our next trip.

Raglan Road: Though the Deluxe plan includes an appetizer for adults (and kids), RR doesn't include an app for kids meals. Our server made that clear. Kids meal here sounded great (chicken. mashed potatoes and broccoli). It was cold and bland. Zero seasoning. No one at the table liked it. We were surprised because all of the adult items were delicious. We'd definitely use adult credits here in the future but not children's.

Jiko and Sanaa: Both were excellent meals including the kid's selections. Sanaa adult meals on the DXDP are extra generous, more than enough to share. The kid's menu at both restaurants had the easy, kid-friendly items you expect and also more adventurous items (shrimp, butter chicken etc.).

Morimoto Asia (lunch): DS4 wasn't interested in anything, so we ordered two adult meals and shared some with him. Our server seemed a little confused that were wanted to do this and asked twice..."two adults, one child credit?" No. Two adults. This was an excellent, filling meal. We could have easily shared. I wish we would have ordered the kids meal here instead of Raglan Road, there's always next time to try that ;)

Child QS to Snack:
We used all our snack credits for straight snack credits :) However in line at the Festival of the Arts booth in France (name?), the guest in front of me wanted to use a child's QS credit for ONE snack and was told that the booth did not participate in that exchange. edit: It sounded like "we do not exchange child's credits"...perhaps they would exchange an adult credit for 3 snacks? Now I'm curious!

We have a trip coming up in May. Another split stay with DDP and DXDP. I'd like to look at our reservations and whether it would be better to age up our DS4 for dining plan purposes. IMO, the table service meals (non-buffet) just weren't worth it. Even Sanaa and Jiko, it would have been better to just order an extra adult meal, value wise. I know this was long, I thought it might help someone to know about our experience. I've learned so much from all of you!

Last edited:
Specific question that I have seen varying answers on FB groups- If you have a child with a child TS credit can they still get a "non-alcoholic specialty beverage"? I have heard they no longer can because it is not "on the children's menu".. but I also saw a screen shot saying that customers under 21 could get a specialty beverage--- but maybe that refers to adult TS credits? Any actual experiences?
We were only offered a specialty beverage for DS4 at 'Ohana. And he loved it! I'd also like to know which restaurants have them for kids. I'm going to ask in the future.

When you say "offered a specialty beverage", do you mean the server suggested it? Or you asked for something (like a virgin colada) and the restaurant said no?

When you say "offered a specialty beverage", do you mean the server suggested it? Or you asked for something (like a virgin colada) and the restaurant said no?
'Ohana was the only place we were offred a specialty kid's beverage. We didn't ask at any other restaurants.

At 'Ohana, our server introduced herself, asked if this was our first or repeat visit (our first), inquired about the dining plan and then let us know the drinks adults and kids could have. The drink menu is a full menu...pages and pages! We were going to order DS a water or milk, she then showed him the page of fun virgin drinks (I think the last page) and we ordered him a virgin berry lemonade-ish drink from those choices.

In the future, I plan on nicely asking "Do you offer any specialty beverages for children on the dining plan?" 'Ohana was mid-trip, I meant to ask at other restaurants and just forgot. He's perfectly fine with water and milk, but he was really excited for a fun drink that matched ours. I got distracted by figuring out what on the kids menu would most appeal to DS, that mom and dad wouldn't mind finishing if (and when) he didn't eat it.

@mattpeto Sorry I keep tagging you, but want to make sure you're up-to-date on what's happening at BoG since you specifically asked and are hoping to use all kid's credits there. Be sure to scroll up and read BarlowFamily's trip report at post #49.

the future, I plan on nicely asking "Do you offer any specialty beverages for children on the dining plan?"
Absolutely! In fact, I think you should go back next month and do this! :D
There is absolutely no reason or logic behind not allowing a guest to use whatever credits they want. It goes completely against Disney's own advertisement of how and what you can do/use the plan.
D
The logic is, Disney administers the plan how it sees appropriate.
but they have no right (according to disney's own dining plan policy) to tell me who has to eat what credits.
T
They don't tell anyone who has to eat what credit. They do, legitimately, tell guests who has to order from which credit. This has been one of the written conditions since day one.

The only change necessary would be to offer child meals at all locations. The options to exchange one Table Service credit for one Quick Service credit, or one meal credit for three/any snack credits, have never, ever been official policy.

D
T
They don't tell anyone who has to eat what credit. They do, legitimately, tell guests who has to order from which credit. This has been one of the written conditions since day one.

The only change necessary would be to offer child meals at all locations. The options to exchange one Table Service credit for one Quick Service credit, or one meal credit for three/any snack credits, have never, ever been official policy.
I'm not sure what your point was or why you quoted me. I said nothing about changing credits etc. I simply stated that Disney policy is and even advertised as you can use as many of your credits at any time... therefore telling someone they can only order 1 kid qs meal at a time (even though they "bought" have available 4, 5, 6 etc.) because only 1 kid is on their plan is inaccurate. Anyone who's been around long enough knows that communication from Disney to CMs is extremely poor and unfortunately you get mistaken CMs who tell you straight out lies (one of my biggest gripes with Disney - you know how buses only start 1 hr. prior to park opening lol type stuff.) I just hate to see ppl. taken advantage of and I myself will not be. If someone is not educated on the policy though it's very easy for an ill-informed or ignorant CM to take advantage of them. Now, if you know and you're okay with being taken advantage of, totally a-ok, but I for one in this situation am not okay with it. Advertising one thing and practicing another is not logical (you seemed to imply that it was.)

Last edited:
It is going to be interesting to see what they do about kids over 9 with disabilities that have dietary limitations derived from their disability. My aspie son lived of of grilled cheese and Mc Donald style fries at the parks since that was all that his sensory limitations would allow. They always took his adult credits and often gave a super sized portion of child grilled cheese portion. If they are selling a product DDP and then not providing accommodation (substitution) for food that is readily available, I think they may run into problems.

Fortunately we had a DVC kitchen but many other do not

It is going to be interesting to see what they do about kids over 9 with disabilities that have dietary limitations derived from their disability. My aspie son lived of of grilled cheese and Mc Donald style fries at the parks since that was all that his sensory limitations would allow. They always took his adult credits and often gave a super sized portion of child grilled cheese portion. If they are selling a product DDP and then not providing accommodation (substitution) for food that is readily available, I think they may run into problems.

Fortunately we had a DVC kitchen but many other do not

The DDP is a choice, so they probably don't have to make accommodations. Just like those that have bariatric surgery or some other reason they can only eat small meals, those with kids who are Disney adults that have issues will have to decide if the DDPs still make sense for them. Paying OOP, you can purchase anything you want/need at all the a la carte places.

My family, 2 adults and a 15yo (so 3 adults), had the DxDDP for 12 days last summer. My DD15 mostly orders from the kids menu. We ate at 26 TS venues. More times than not, they supersized her meal (which wasnt wanted as she eats like a bird). The only place that flat out refused to give her a kids menu was Via Napoli. I have no idea the reason for it, but they said if we were using an adult credit, we need to order an adult meal. Luckily she likes plain ravoli, no sauce, and they were able to accommodate.

The options to exchange one Table Service credit for one Quick Service credit, or one meal credit for three/any snack credits, have never, ever been official policy.

Yes, it is and has been for at least 10 years. Though when exchanging meal credit for snacks, you must purchase all 3 snacks together. You cant get an ice cream at 1pm, a drink at 4pm and a krispy treat at 10pm. All snacks must be purchased at the same time using the one credit.

D
T

Actually your last statement is inaccurate as well. There was a year that doing the exchange was actually in their literature and almost all CMs offered it when purchasing/checking out etc. I believe it was 2015/2016 - it was the year before they changed from qs meals including a dessert to removing the dessert, but adding an additional snack credit to the plan. Like others have said, it's been practice for over a decade, but was actual policy and in the dining plan literature for at least 1 year; but again had nothing to do with what my post was about, but wanted to clarify as I think it's misleading to have false statements out there as fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter