2020 dining plan- credits are now adult and child specific

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, you can no problem. They'll happily allow you to pay more for your ticket. The servers don't know or care how old your kids are; they just care about the credits and they certainly aren't going to shy away from ordering a pricier adult meal that they can get more of a tip on. I'll just add that if you're "upgrading" your dining in any way; you'll have to pay the adult difference not the kid, which is more expensive. Again, I'd look at what you're reasonably going to be ordering and crunch the numbers...it may not be worth it.
I think you are right that it doesnt make sense mathematically. It will be cheaper just to pay for the occasional item out of pocket over the course of the trip.

We booked a bounce back last year with free dining. I just tried to call to change one of the 2 children who is currently 9 to a 10 year old. The CM told me it would be 150 dollars more. Can this be right? when i price out the difference between adult and child on the website its giving me a 20 dollar difference. Am I missing something or is this one of those call back and a different CM will give you a different answer things?
Where are you staying and what dining plan are you on? If you're staying at Value/Mod.; only the QS was free. If you were upgrading to the regular dining plan; you paid the difference from qs-ddp...you'd have to do the same with your up-aged kid, and the price to even just upgrade from the qs-ddp for an adult price is pretty expensive. I'm guessing that's what happened, but as others have mentioned tix prices did just go up as well.

Aging up from 7 to 10 may be a bit of a stretch. Also, if you're planning on going back in the next 2 years when it isn't free dining, will they allow you to age her back down? I don't know the answer to that question. I think most people aging up from 9 to 10 are comfortable doing it because it won't matter for the next trip anyway.

But, Disney may totally allow it.

Yes, you can make the reservation for whatever name child and whatever age you'd like. They don't get to keep a record. You may have to make a new/updated person in MDE, but you absolutely can and do tell them new ages each time you make the reservation.

In my experience the ages of my kids never change in MDE until I go in or the CM goes in and update/recreates that person in the account. One of my daughters is listed 3 times...only 1 has her correct age.

We have 7 day park hoppers so over the course of 7 days it’s just under 18 dollars per day extra. Steep but it is Disney :-). But yeah. I may call again just in case or do quick research to see how much the pricing has changed. I wish I thought to do this last week before the ticket hike :-)

I was on hold for far too long, but while on hold I went in to change my reservation and ended up just re-adding my younger kids as new guests with age of 10, and it gave me a new price of $38 more than my original price, which should be the reflection in kid --> adult pricing for tix. (We are also on free dining, but have 5 day park hoppers). So no new ticket pricing, which makes sense as the reservation was booked before the price hike.

I was on hold for far too long, but while on hold I went in to change my reservation and ended up just re-adding my younger kids as new guests with age of 10, and it gave me a new price of $38 more than my original price, which should be the reflection in kid --> adult pricing for tix. (We are also on free dining, but have 5 day park hoppers). So no new ticket pricing, which makes sense as the reservation was booked before the price hike.
Ah. Ok. Thanks!

So has there been any more experience with trying to share DxDP credits with guests not on the same room reservation? Planning to share some (adult) credits with my parents while they are with us.

So, in our room we would have plan for 2 adults and 2 kids. Some meals we would use 4 adults and 2 kids.

So has there been any more experience with trying to share DxDP credits with guests not on the same room reservation? Planning to share some (adult) credits with my parents while they are with us.

So, in our room we would have plan for 2 adults and 2 kids. Some meals we would use 4 adults and 2 kids.

There was only one report of a problem so far this year and that was at 50s Prime Time. The guest pushed back just a little and they were allowed to do it. This is the same restaurant that started the problems last year, but eventually gave in and just did it with no problems. The only other place that seems to be sticking to the "only as many as you have on the reservation" is BoG for breakfast and that has been only those trying to use all kid's meals and no adult meals.

We booked a bounce back last year with free dining. I just tried to call to change one of the 2 children who is currently 9 to a 10 year old. The CM told me it would be 150 dollars more. Can this be right? when i price out the difference between adult and child on the website its giving me a 20 dollar difference. Am I missing something or is this one of those call back and a different CM will give you a different answer things?
Don’t forget there is an additional charge for the room when there are more than 2 adults. At least at the values

Don’t forget there is an additional charge for the room when there are more than 2 adults. At least at the values
There is only an extra adult fee if there are more than two people over 18. The pp who wanted her 9 year old to be 10 is not subject to that fee at any resort.

I’m planning to take a trip with my 6 & 8 year old boys in October. We are only going to the park one day (out of 5) and then planning to go to Disney Springs and spend time at our DVC Resort. Would the Dining Plan be worth it if we won’t be in the parks much? Just wondering if it would be best to just pay as we go.

I’m planning to take a trip with my 6 & 8 year old boys in October. We are only going to the park one day (out of 5) and then planning to go to Disney Springs and spend time at our DVC Resort. Would the Dining Plan be worth it if we won’t be in the parks much? Just wondering if it would be best to just pay as we go.
We haven't been to Disney in years, so I'm still figuring this out.

I know that the DDP has separated out adult and child credits. I've seen the report of the child QS credit NOT being allowed to be used for snacks whereas the adult QS credit can be swapped for 3 snacks in one transaction. While researching and planning new QS meals to avoid PB&J/chicken nuggets, I found this on the Disney Parks Mom Panel:

• On Jan 6, 2020
    Lenoy from ON Asked
    Hi there, I know for adult quick service meals we were able to exchange 1 meal credit for 3 snack credits. Will that still be the case in 2020? and does this also apply to Kids' meal credits? can they exchange for 3 snacks? We love snacks!!”
    Welcome to the Disney Parks Moms Panel, Lenoy! Thanks for stopping by with your question.

Sampling all of the snacks available at the Walt Disney World Resort is one of my favorite parts of vacation! It must be the season for snacking as my friend and fellow Panelist, Clara, just answered a similar question from another guest!

I like that you are using your Disney Dining Plan in a flexible way to best meet the needs of your family. My husband and I have always felt like it was a good fit for us as well. And, since you know that you're a snacking family, I have great news for you. Once again for 2020 you will be able to convert a Quick-Service dining entitlement (both adult and children's) to three snack entitlements, as long as they are redeemed during the same transaction. This was confirmed for all of the festival booths, such as what you would find at the Epcot International Festival of the Arts. You may also be able to do this at other restaurants and snack kiosks around the Walt Disney World Resort, at their discretion.

Best wishes, Lenoy, as you make your list of tasty treats to try and I hope your vacation is sweet and delicious down to the last bite, just like a Mickey-shaped ice cream sandwich!

Lauren

AND this one:
    • On Jan 5, 2020
      Terry from United Kingdom Asked“Hi. Does a child QS dinning credit convert to 3 snack credits like an adult QS dinning credit does? We are visiting during Festival of the Arts and want to try lots of options! Thanks.”
      Hi there, Terry! Welcome to the Disney Parks Moms Panel!

I am so excited you’ll be visiting Walt Disney World during the upcoming Epcot® International Festival of the Arts. Disney festivals are so fantastic, and I’ve heard that this one is an incredible blend of culture, arts, food & drink, and all things Disney magic! I cannot wait to attend in the future. I’m especially excited to hear you’ll be taking part in the Quick-Service Dining Plan during your visit, which will definitely allow you to fully experience the culinary arts offerings during this festival, which appear to be second to none! After all, no theme park does food and drink quite like Epcot!

Regarding your question, I am thrilled to say that I have confirmed that you should, at the merchant's discretion, indeed be able to trade one Quick-Service Dining credit (whether adult or child) for 3 snack credits, all within one single transaction. What better time and place to do so than during your exciting February trip!

Well Terry, I am sure you are counting down the days to your next Disney adventure! Rest assured that you’ll be able to try every scrumptious treat your heart desires — and remember, in the wise words of my co-panelist Aena, calories just don’t count at Walt Disney World!

Please come back anytime if we can be of help to you in planning your Disney travels; we are so happy to help!

See ya real soon!
      -Clara

Is the Disney Parks Mom Panel a RELIABLE source of information?
[/QUOTE
When we went in January, we had a child quick service credit left. The CM in the resort store allowed us to trade it for 3 snacks. It does work!

There are lots of restaurants outside the parks and at DS. The only way to know if it makes sense is to FIRST decide where you WANT to eat and then do the math. Don't try to make your dining fit a dining plan; only get a plan if it makes sense to how and where you want to eat.

If you have to pay out of pocket, the disney dining plans are very rarely worth it. You have kids that could be into character buffets, so there's a chance it might work for you...but then, do you want to spend all your time on hyperfocusing on credit usage, or just enjoying the flow.

PS - you may want to uber offsite to an offsite place one night or order in, and no DDP would continue to give you that kinda flexibility...

Cost wise; it's almost never "worth it." I'd take a look at the menus and crunch the numbers.

There was only one report of a problem so far this year and that was at 50s Prime Time. The guest pushed back just a little and they were allowed to do it. This is the same restaurant that started the problems last year, but eventually gave in and just did it with no problems. The only other place that seems to be sticking to the "only as many as you have on the reservation" is BoG for breakfast and that has been only those trying to use all kid's meals and no adult meals.
I also was unable to use an adult credit for a child meal at BOG for breakfast.

If you have to pay out of pocket, the disney dining plans are very rarely worth it. You have kids that could be into character buffets, so there's a chance it might work for you...but then, do you want to spend all your time on hyperfocusing on credit usage, or just enjoying the flow.

PS - you may want to uber offsite to an offsite place one night or order in, and no DDP would continue to give you that kinda flexibility...
That’s very true. I didn’t think about that!

I also was unable to use an adult credit for a child meal at BOG for breakfast.
These are 2 separate issues. Any/all QS places would not be able to use a adult credit to pay for a kid meal. Although, decent Disney practice would offer to make an adult portion of the child meal, though of course not guaranteed.

What the pp was talking about was having the QS child credits, but a BOG not allowing someone to order and use multiple child meals/credits at one time without also purchasing an adult QS meal. This is wrong and against their own policy, so with some push back (if needed) a guest should be able to do this. The push back should not be needed though.

I'm curious how this will work for us on our August trip. DS will turn 10 half way through our trip and we have the dining plan. I wonder if he will be restricted to the kids menu the entire trip, or if his credits will convert when he ages up. I know it used to be that you were the age of check in (price wise) for the duration of the trip, but this seems to complicate that a bit. Has anyone had any experience with this yet?
as far as I know he will be 9 for the whole trip ie like the child turning 3 during the trip is free for whole trip

It is going to be interesting to see what they do about kids over 9 with disabilities that have dietary limitations derived from their disability. My aspie son lived of of grilled cheese and Mc Donald style fries at the parks since that was all that his sensory limitations would allow. They always took his adult credits and often gave a super sized portion of child grilled cheese portion. If they are selling a product DDP and then not providing accommodation (substitution) for food that is readily available, I think they may run into problems.

Fortunately we had a DVC kitchen but many other do not
The accommodations will still be in place. You can order anything you want for the adult, including grill cheese. You just cannot use an adult credit if it’s not in the adult menu. You do not have to purchase the DDP, but if you do and want to use it at a restaurant, you would need to use a child’s credit for a child’s meal and an adult credit for an adult meal. If that does not work, then just do not purchase the DDP.

1. When you make changes to a package, it brings up the current ticket prices for all guests. There was a ticket price increase recently. That could easily be $150 for the room. If this is the case, I would consider weather you would spend $150 in additional food for your child.

2. If you are staying at a value or mod, and had upgraded from the free QSDP to DDP, you would need to pay the same upgrade cost for the child.

3. Any combination of 1 and 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter