2021 Point Reallocation

So, new question just occurred to me. DVC built in a lock off premium into the points charts when originally created. Last year, they tried to raise that and had to revert,

However, could DVC ever just lower the lock off premium without having to equalize else? For example, could they just lower all 1 bedrooms by 1 or 2 points a night without having to account for that?

Not thinking they would, but wondered if this falls within their ability?

Yes, at resorts with no dedicated 1 bedrooms, they could in theory lower the 1bedroom rate. Never gonna happen though.

Sorry if already posted (I read all 18 pages and have a question). Did DVC reduce points for the poly bungalows and transfer them over to the studios, thus increasing the points needed to book a studio? Or can they only move points around within the overall point schedules for studios (and bungalows must be kept separate). Thanks!

We go 3-4 times a year - always a 1Br or larger - our Fall and Dec points needed went up a bit while our May came down...wonder how long it will take before May becomes the ‘New Oct’

Sorry if already posted (I read all 18 pages and have a question). Did DVC reduce points for the poly bungalows and transfer them over to the studios, thus increasing the points needed to book a studio? Or can they only move points around within the overall point schedules for studios (and bungalows must be kept separate). Thanks!

I think that is one of the aspects that does not seem to be easily answered. Some language seems to indicate they can, and other languafe seems to indicate they can’t,

Overall points charts are supposed to remain points neutral. There is language that discusses that happening at the unit level. In places where there are lock off 2 bedrooms, it seems like moving across room types can happen.

But at Poly, the bungalows would appear to be their own units, so I don’t know that they could...

In practice, DVC did move SSR studio and 1BR points to THV (After they sold THV as a “3BR for 2BR points)
In addition, DVC shifted points from building to building to create the preferred and standard categories.

It seems most members think those SSR reallocations were for the overall good of the membership, so there were never any legal actions to reverse them.

In practice, DVC did move SSR studio and 1BR points to THV (After they sold THV as a “3BR for 2BR points)
In addition, DVC shifted points from building to building to create the preferred and standard categories.

It seems most members think those SSR reallocations were for the overall good of the membership, so there were never any legal actions to reverse them.
I wonder if DVC could take the Carousel buildings, reduce the points needed to stay in them and make some of the Grandstand a preferred location which would need the extra points in which to stay? I guess it would be like having Preferred villas, Standard villas, and a third classification. Maybe call it a "Distant" villas at SSR, lol. Just a thought.

I wonder if DVC could take the Carousel buildings, reduce the points needed to stay in them and make some of the Grandstand a preferred location which would need the extra points in which to stay? I guess it would be like having Preferred villas, Standard villas, and a third classification. Maybe call it a "Distant" villas at SSR, lol. Just a thought.
I guess it’s possible. I would only think the (2) Grandstand buildings closer to the pool would be desirable enough... DVC said that Springs and Congress Park were the most popular requests, I don’t know how that compares to Grandstand.

There’s a risk that more categories reduces availability where previously an available week is split into a few nights in category A and a few others in category B with the last night back in A.

I guess it’s possible. I would only think the (2) Grandstand buildings closer to the pool would be desirable enough... DVC said that Springs and Congress Park were the most popular requests, I don’t know how that compares to Grandstand.

There’s a risk that more categories reduces availability where previously an available week is split into a few nights in category A and a few others in category B with the last night back in A.
Building #85 was no more than a 3 minute walk for me to the Carriage House. (Grandstand) And this was of course a standard view room. I just think they should do more with the Carousel section. Either have it where you can book it and/or have it where you know you won't end up there.

They didn't change the number of points, just reallocated seasons. Totally legit.

I have to say after reviewing the changes i don't know that had disney asked me to reallocate i would've done much different. I probably would have made early December higher, but they can only shift points by a certain percent each year, so it's possible they may still increase that season more. But overall they raised the highest demand times and lowered the lowest.demand times, what more could you ask for in terms of fairness. (It certainly won't make all owners happy, but there you go.
The points are low early DEC. because the parks are empty. It used to be the points took a big jump Dec 14th. they have changed that until the 23rd for that jump and I couldn't be happier! We yank the kids out of school and go, LOL. take their books with them, and no homework in am , no parks. It is the BEST schoolwork motivator there is. LOL. plus we do extra credit around something in Epcot, and the kids take a turn cooking dinner with me , everyone gets a night or two. we measure and cut and count, best fraction math . Add familytime, and games and they learn twice as much as they do in a classroom with 20 some other kids.

I don't have any information to back this up other than gauging from social media, but it seems that the demographics of DVC tend to lean older. This is probably because of the barrier to entry (reasonably substantial capital). Older generally means no school-aged children. No school-aged children probably means less likely to book during high cost, high heat, crowded, and no special event seasons.
there are all kinds of special events in the summer, plus later park hours, and the place packs them in like sardines. I think the summer of the zika virus slowed that down a bit, but those days are over.

Looks like the charts for GCV were changed yesterday. Not sure what was changed as I don't really watch GCV at all.

Screenshot_2020-01-31 Points Charts for Resorts Disney Vacation Club.png

Looks like the charts for GCV were changed yesterday. Not sure what was changed as I don't really watch GCV at all.

View attachment 469970
So the original 2021 point charts had less points (well outside the margin of error) to book all the 2 bedrooms and grand villas for the entire year than 2020. This meant that the entire years of points would be able to book the resort with some left over (i.e. if all rooms were reserved every day as 2 beds then the resort would have had left over points that owners couldn’t use). So the new 2021 point charts are simply the exact same charts as 2020 which aligns with expectations since VGC doesn’t have much of an issue filling evenly.

So the original 2021 point charts had less points (well outside the margin of error) to book all the 2 bedrooms and grand villas for the entire year than 2020. This meant that the entire years of points would be able to book the resort with some left over (i.e. if all rooms were reserved every day as 2 beds then the resort would have had left over points that owners couldn’t use). So the new 2021 point charts are simply the exact same charts as 2020 which aligns with expectations since VGC doesn’t have much of an issue filling evenly.
Same as 2020 with slight tweak to the seasons I think (normal stuff).

Same as 2020 with slight tweak to the seasons I think (normal stuff).
Correct the dates in the seasons were adjusted for the holidays and slight seasonal demand. As you said normal (similar to other years adjustments at vgc).

So, some folks might have gotten a deal on 2BR and GV on Jan 1, 2021 through Jan 5, 2021 if they booked stays that extended into 2021 right at the 11 month window. If the Jan season did not change, than no reservations would have been impacted.

The VGC 2021 point chart has simply been returned to what it was before. As to that Christmas and early Jan time,when doing any analysis on total points, you really need to do multiple years together at VGC. VGC's Christmas high point season is supposed to run for 16 nights ending on the Saturday after New Years unless New Years is a Saturday in which case it ends on New Years Day. But if you look at only a single chart, that gives Jan high season at the beginning of the year and December at the end, the total nights vary every year because you are actually looking at two different Christmas seasons. When viewing Jan in a point chart, you need to go back to Dec in the year before to start a real analysis of total points for a year

As noted, since the corrected chart change did not come out until Jan 30, some have benefited from reserving time from Jan 1 to 5 with a late Dec arrival date, but that should mean there is now more points than the allowable reservable time for a year. One could argue DVC, which made the error, should give up for the year time it is entitled to reserve with its ownership interest that is equal to the points saved by any members who have already reserved those early Jan dates

One could argue DVC, which made the error, should give up for the year time it is entitled to reserve with its ownership interest that is equal to the points saved by any members who have already reserved those early Jan dates

I would agree in principle, but tI believe he error was made by the DVCMC while the developer's points belong to DVD. Is this is the case, they're separate entities, one couldn't force one to pay for the error of the other.
Certainly it would be appreciated.

Here's an updated analysis I did comparing the 2020 and 2021 point schedule by resort. I show overall that the points went down in 2021 by 12,398 on a total of 77,482,321 or a difference of .0002

Attachments

• 2020 vs 2021 point chart differences final.pdf
    650.2 KB · Views: 16
One could argue DVC, which made the error, should give up for the year time it is entitled to reserve with its ownership interest that is equal to the points saved by any members who have already reserved those early Jan dates

I would agree in principle, but tI believe he error was made by the DVCMC while the developer's points belong to DVD. Is this is the case, they're separate entities, members couldn't force one to pay for the error of the other.
Certainly it would be appreciated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!