• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

25,000 Counterfeit Pooh's on "death row"

MelissathePooh

Disney Regular
There was a piece on BBC this morning (NPR) that 25,000 plush look alike Pooh teddy bears were confiscated in Sweden. They are being held off some port there while Disney is fighting the makers of the plush toys. Basically a lawsuit of copyright infrigement by the look alike producers - who had to settle before over disputes about a Piglet and Eeyore counterfeits.

Problem is Disney is afraid that the bears may not be safe (defective product), copyright violation, etc... and are trying to have the stuffed bears ordered to be destroyed - shredded or incinerated.

While I understand Disney's concerns its seems to me a HUGE waste of stuffed animals that could be at least given to charity. I'm sure that there are 25,000 children somewhere who wouldn't care if it was a Pooh knock off or not, but would really appreciate a fuzzy friend.

Instead of the other company selling and making a profit off the counterfeits - at least give them to charity!

I almost always side with Disney in their right to operate as a business and make profit (although I don't always understand their decisions), but this just seems wasteful and petty.

I agree with you totally, I'd just like to make sure they are not an inferior quality that could endanger the life of any child (removable parts, chemicals used in manufacturing, etc.).

If the toys are not safe, why would anyone want to give them to children? :confused: Melissa, I understand that it is a waste of resources to destroy these fake poohs, but if they're not safe to sell, why would it be safe to give them away?

Schmeck

Hey.. first thing we have to check is if these bears are on the endangered species list:jester: :jester:

I would never suggest giving anything to anyone that was safe - what I was trying to say and it may well be a concern (although I doubt it) is that one "argument" Disney is using is that since they didn't have a voice in quality control they bears may not be safe - given the mass numbers of stuffed animals made everyday that are perfectly safe I can't help but think its a stalling argument rather than an actual concern.

If they weren't safe they should be destroyed, but I highly doubt that is the case here.

I'd say Disney's fears are probably well founded. Most knock-off artists don't worry about adhereing to product safety standards.

Most things about whether a product is safe for small children you would think about. I know I would not b/c I don't have children. A safe plush product should have eyes and nose that are sewn on, not glued on. I child could pull off a glued on eye and swallow it. Disney bean bag plush is made with the beans in seperate compartments (Ie they are in a bag inside the character). Each leg has a bag of beans, etc..

It is copyright infringement. Most people would think it harmless. I remember seeing a t-shirt back in the winter of 1979-1980 that had Mickey on it saying "Yo, Aylatollah." flipping "the bird" as a result of the Iranian hostage crisis. I am sure if any D execs saw that they were "flipping."

Just my opinion. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter