3 nights, 3 meals...eat your hearts out!

Peter Pirate

Its not the end of civilization...But you can see
Night one. Flying Fish. We started with a frisee salad. It is always good as the carmalized walnuts and citrus glaze always battles for supremacy. For our entree I had the scallops with risotto and this was the best risotto dish ever. The scallops were sooo tender and not 'fishy' at all...Which is really quite remarkable considering it is seafood.;) My wife had the homeade ravioli and said it was great. My daughter had the charred NY Strip, of which I got 1/3 and this was probably the best steak I have ever had. We've had their steak many times and in fact I've always included it in my top five, but it is now numero uno...Sorry Shula's.

Night two. 'Ohana. It was fantastic as usual. Nothing fancy about this food. The wontons and wings were great as starters. The steak was tender and juicy, the pork had a wonderful fruity taste, the smoked turkey is always great (I use the peanut sauce) and the shrimp was spiced just right (I had somewhere between 20-30!)...But somehow I still managed to eat my share of the pineapple dipped in caramel!

Night three. California Grill. The night started poorly as we had 7:50 ressies with the fireworks due to go at 8:30. Well, we weren't seated util 9:00! They're having problems adjusting to the new fireworks as the old show meant the restaraunt was dark for 6 minutes but 'Wishes' has it dark for 15 minutes!

Anyway once seated we started with the three chesse flatbread, which was probably the best I've ever had (better than last time) and a frisee salad which was less tangy than Flying Fish and had crushed walnuts instead of carmalized walnuts and although I like the carmalized nuts better at the FF, the less 'tang' of the CG frisee was better overall.

For entrees my daughter and wife both had the pork tenderloin which was scrumptious. I was dreaming of the black grouper risotto all week but was talked into their 21oz bone in ribeye...Big mistake. The meat was tasty but it wasn't firm and it was tough. If it weren't so late I'd have sent it back.

For desert we had the molten chocolate cake ala mode and it was the best desert ever!!! The combination of hot chocolate oozing out of the center and minging with cold french vanilla ice cream was stunning!

Well, thats it for another trip!

Bon apitit.

Good eating!!
I hope that at least you were able to walk out on the observation deck and catch the fireworks???

Yes we were able to do that Uncle and it was a beautiful evening so I guess every cloud DOES have a silver lining!

great reviews! I'll be eating at 2 of the 3 on my December trip and will be at CA Grill tomorrow!!!

So do they play the music/narration in the CA Grill for Wishes like they did for FITS? Is it worth viewing from there versus in the park or if you only have 1 opportunity to view it, should it be done from in the park proper?

Great reviews, everything sounds wonderful.

Thanks for the heads up on CG. We have a 6:30 PS next month on a night Wishes is supposed to be at 7:00. Do you think I should try for 6?

The fireworks were great but they didn't blow me away like illuminations, so maybe they DO need to be experienced from inside the park for maximum effect.

As for the ressies, I think it's all hit or miss. The restaurant was PACKED Saturday night so it was going to be tough anyway. You could always change your ressie to up the odds but really there is no guarantee that your table will have the fireworks view anyway (most don't and ours didn't - although we did see Illuminations in the distance). Personally I wouldn't worry about it. Just take what comes and if you have to move to the deck for viewing so b it. It's a great view from there as well.

Thanks for the reviews! I think I may have to squeeze in the Flying Fish next trip! Maybe ohanas too.

Maggie

Great discription! Sounds like 3 great meals!

Thanks for the reply Peter Pirate. I didn't explain my concern well. I'm not worried about getting a table with a view of the fireworks...we actually prefer the "wine room." I just want to avoid the long wait for a table. We're dining on a Saturday too. Thanks again!

Thanks for the reviews. We have wanted to eat at Flying Fish for a long time so maybe on our next trip we will have to give it a try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter