3 things you remember about Kindergarten

1. I remember this girl named Janine would pull my hair everyday. She hated me until one day her brother and my brother became friends so it forced us to be friends...phew!

2. The smell of paste. My children will never get to enjoy that smell now that they only use glue sticks.

3. We had a classroom hamster. I remember it had a tube connecting two cages together.

1. My teacher's name was Ms Kelly.
2. All my friends from preschool were down the hall in Mme. Violet's French immersion Kindergarten class (I had gone to a french preschool as it was closest to my house) as my Dad didn't speak French.
3. I was one of the few kids that could read and write my name, address, phone number, and tie my shoes without help. I got bored and wandered down to Mme. V Kindergarten class. Mum later said she should have switched me and put me in French immersion.

Fun topic! I can't believe I can remember all this..

1. We all had to stand before the teacher and spell our names, and I couldn't.
2. We did a play about Noah's Ark (I went to private K). When it was time for the wives to board the ark I was staring at the audience. I was the last one there and had to be prompted to move by the teacher.
3. I had an imaginary friend who would go down the slide with me and all the kids behind me in line would get mad while I waited for my imaginary friend to go down first.

3 things you remember about Kindergarten
I remember nothing from Kindergarten. I don't have many recollections before I was about 10.

I remember
1) Denny peed his pants in class.
2) Melissa kept trying to kiss me.
3) I got a paddling from the principal.

1. Making clay Christmas ornaments and dumping a whole jar of sparkles on my star. The lid was loose and I shook a little too hard lol

2. Getting to leave school early one day to go pick up my Nana from the airport. She travelled from Australia every two years to spend Christmas with us. She did it well into her 80s until travel took too much of a toll on her.

3. Not really a memory but I went K-12 with most of my class from kindergarten.

I did as well-our neighborhood all fed into the same junior and senior high so unless you moved out you were all together for the whole time. that neighborhood (now an incorporated city of it's own) now has it's own middle and high school which while I can see the advantages to I think it was beneficial for us to attend upper grades at schools that had students from other areas in that county.

1. Making clay Christmas ornaments and dumping a whole jar of sparkles on my star. The lid was loose and I shook a little too hard lol

2. Getting to leave school early one day to go pick up my Nana from the airport. She travelled from Australia every two years to spend Christmas with us. She did it well into her 80s until travel took too much of a toll on her.

#3 Sam here. We took a picture of all of us in K and grade 12 I think we had 17 of the original 20. We had 5 elementary schools that fed into the middle school and secondary school. One of the other elementary schools we only got the french immersion kids while the English programme Kids went to the other middle school and secondary school.

Never went to kindergarten. My kid did though. I mentioned it during a parent-teacher conference and they told me that legally, kindergarten is optional in California.

My parents selected a Catholic school because they didn't have as strict an age requirement to enter first grade. I was about 2-1/2 months too young for the public schools and would have needed to wait a year, or started kindergarten. My Catholic school didn't have kindergarten at the time I went, although I heard they added it after I left. When I shifted to public schools they accepted that I had the prerequisites to move on normally even though I was younger than the rest of the class.

1 - I attended a private kindergarten which no longer exists.
2 - We made macaroni pictures, and my macaroni spilled all over the floor when I tried to move it because there wasn't enough glue. (Or there was too much macaroni.)
3 - I went home with another girl after kindergarten one day. Her mother let her USE THE STOVE to make tomato soup. My mother barely let me step foot in the kitchen.

1. My kindergarten was my favorite teacher throughout elementary school.

2. We had a pet rat in the classroom, and when we came back to school after the weekend the teacher told us it had died. It was winter and several people had been out of power for a long time and she thought it might have gotten too cold. :(

3. Towards the end of the school year all the girls spent the night with the teacher at her apartment. Nowadays that would never fly of course, and she was super brave to take us all on by herself, but we had a lot of fun! The boys got together a different date for a picnic I think.

1. Trying to swing as high as I could so I could touch the branches with my toes.
2. Showing off my teddy bear my Aunt gave me. Whose name is now my youngest's name :)
3. The teacher giving us a jar of fossils( petrified shells etc) at the end of the year. I still have it.

There was no Kindergarten when I started school. School began at Grade 1. I think they may have created a Kindergarten class a year or two later. By the time my sister came along, five years behind me, full-day Kindergarten had been initiated for two days a week. There was no Kindergarten on Mondays and then one group attended on Tuesday/Thursday and the other group on Wednesday/Friday. Everybody wanted to be on the Tuesday/Thursday days so that they had super long weekends. The school principal's wife taught it for years.

There was a large cubby in the back of the room and there was one boy who got in trouble alot. As punishment the teacher used to drag him by his hair and put him in the cubby. I don't really remember anything else, must have been traumatized LOL

1. Playing a game where we had to run and jump over a blue (paper) river. I couldn’t do it.

2. Learning to read. “I am Sam”

3. Moving

Nothing. Kinder here is aged 4 and for a few hours twice a week.

1. First day of kindergarten I got off the bus and followed my then best friend into her classroom. It never occurred to me that we might be in different classes, or even that there was more than one. I guess I was just confident enough in my walk that no teacher stopped me to find out my name. Some thirty minutes later, as I was happily playing on the jungle gym, one of the teachers who had been frantically searching for the "lost student" came up and asked my name.

2. I remember taking some sort of very basic aptitude test. They set up boards on the tables so that we couldn't see the other kids as we worked. The test questions were really easy. Like 'Circle the picture of three items'. We used crayons. The girl next to me failed to follow the directions somehow and the teachers were perplexed about how to handle the situation. I recall, she didn't advance to 1st grade with the rest of us.

3. There was a wall that ran down the middle of the room. It was about 4 feet high, and blocked the coat rack area off from the rest of the classroom. We weren't supposed to climb on it, but we all did.

Kindergarten wasn't required when I started school, none of my older brothers went, it was more of a day care. I did go, actually went to two different ones because we moved from Texas to Georgia mid-year. The only thing I remember is telling everyone I was fired from the first one because evidently that was the only thing that made sense to me for going to a different one.

My Kindergarten teacher was amazing and I remember so many things about that year. I absolutely loved going to school and cherish those memories. The biggest ones are:

1) When learning, she included a lot of multi-sensory education, back in the days before "sensory bins" were a thing. I remember reading Green Eggs and Ham and she served us ham and eggs that she had dyed green. We learned about pigs then finger painted with chocolate "mud" pudding. It was such an fun and stimulating environment.

2) Our school playground had a large wooded area that was our "forest", and we had such fun running through those trees, pretending to be fairytale princesses or wild explorers.

3) This one is not a good memory, but it is a big one. We were outside in the afternoon picking up trash from the playground, when we heard loud air-raid style sirens. Our school was very close to a military base, so our teacher thought they were testing the sirens (it was a beautiful day in North Alabama). The P.E. teacher found us outside 5 minutes later and frantically rushed us inside. Turns out one of the largest recorded tornadic events was happening. The storms passed right by our school not long after that. We were ok, but 21 people in our town were killed by an F4 tornado that day- It originally touched down on that military base close to us . We had to stay at school until like 8 or 9 at night before our parents could get through to pick us up. We were hungry, exhausted, and scared, but the school did an excellent job of taking care of us. And I dread ever having to spend hours tucked into a ball on my knees with a book over my neck again. We were all so sore!

Last edited:
I lived in France, went to Marymount School (though Im not sure I would remember the name if I hadnt heard occasionally throughout the years....early 70's).

1) Making paper doll chains
2) Winning a bingo game at the school festival and my mother being mad I picked candy over a bottle of wine!!
3) Getting hit in the face with a soccer ball

I do remember the classroom and the hall outside of the classroom, where I occasionally saw my sister. I dont remember any other part of the school except the parking lot where the festival was, and the field where the soccer game was held. I only remember those exact spots, nothing around them or even the outside of the school. I only went there for Kindergarten and part of 1st grade, then we moved to the states. I couldnt tell you the name of my teacher or anyone in my class. Sad :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter