4 days at DLR from a WDW Veteran

ChrisFL

Disney/Universal Fan and MALE
Just a short report. My friend Tim who has been asking me to visit DLR for the past 6 or 7 years finally got me to go this year. I'm usually heading to Asia and checking out the parks there, so this year I decided to make it cheaper and easier for myself, lol

That was the good part. The bad part is about 4 days before we were supposed to leave, I got the FLU! I felt like crap for a few days, as it was the first time I ever had the flu, but I got meds right away and felt better by the day we were leaving.

I had been to DLR once in 2005 for 2 days, but definitely didn't see everything and DCA was still before the massive updates.

I definitely had a lot more fun this time.

A few quick notes:

DL:
- Disneyland is so much nicer than MK, despite being smaller, it's just much more charming and they are able to pack so many attractions into a small area, it's really incredible!
- Having said that, the queue lines are very narrow and can be claustrophobic! I was amazed at how much they pack into the queue areas
- The castle was under white scrim on the middle section, photo scrim on the lower section and then it was exposed at the top.....in other words, not worth taking pics of at all through the 4 days. :rolleyes:
- Matterhorn is still my love/hate attraction. It's great, awesome, and terrible and bumpy all at the same time. I love riding it, but also love when it's over.
- SW:GE is VERY well hidden, and you really have to be on the train or Mark Twain riverboat to really see it, from my experience.
- Space Mountain at DL is still WAAAAAAY better than MK. I don't even ride MK's anymore because it's so rough and painful.
- Riding the Monorail was a....strange experience coming from a WDW veteran.
- Fantasmic...wow, so much better than DHS (yes, everyone knows this)
- Mickey's Mix Magic....I didn't hate it. I think it's ok as a temporary night time show as something different.

DCA:
- Guardians: Mission Breakout is a new favorite. I didn't like their TOT as much since it was so shortened and the exterior of the building didn't look as good, so I didn't mind that they changed that one to Guardians. Yes, the building is ugly, but the ride itself is great (though is quite intense)
- Radiator Springs is lovely and they really put a TON of work into that landscape, it's so well done, and Radiator Springs Racers is great
- Monster's Inc ride was decent...I like all of the doors scenes. I know it replaced SuperStar Limo and I'm GLAD!!
- Food and Wine was going on, however honestly I didn't see much that appealed to me. Epcot's seems better IMO

I definitely feel that DLR is a great destination and I can totally understand wanting to choose it over WDW these days, depending on your touring mood and strategy. Just the quick, easy nature of getting around and also using MaxPass was great.

One thing I forgot to mention, Autopia vs Tomorrowland Speedway....night and day quality difference. I've long thought that MK's needs to be removed, now I feel even moreso after experiencing Autopia.

I always love to read WDW vet's perspective on a Disneyland trip. I'm glad you had a great time, even if the pretty little castle is kind of MIA right now...

I enjoyed reading your short trip report and glad you had a lot more fun this time around. Any favorite meals or snacks?

I enjoyed reading your short trip report and glad you had a lot more fun this time around. Any favorite meals or snacks?

We ate at Cafe Orleans and had a great meal there, the Pommes Frites were amazing, and Bourbon Street Chicken was good too.

Nothing else was specifically highly rated that I had there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter