4 Kids, 2 Parents, 2 Grandparents and Our 3,000 mile Roundtrip Adventure to WDW! Mar 1 - 10, 2018

Sometimes they would ask to eat as soon as they woke up, but we always told them they had to get dressed with their shoes and socks on then they could get something to eat.

I do this most mornings lol. My daughter always wants breakfast and I make her wait until she is fully dressed. Otherwise the morning routine can take FOREVER.

Finally everyone was dressed and we headed out the door at 5:40am, with coffee and breakfast in hand.

I'm so impressed you got out so quickly!

After NRJ we headed back to Dinosaur. DH took DS6 and DD4 on the ride (I was proud of DD4 for getting on it!)

How did DD4 do on the ride?? My oldest will be 4 on our next trip. I'm still trying to get a sense of which rides I can try to get her to go on.

This was a double maclaren stroller I had purchased USED back in 2014 for our first trip, thinking we would just resell it after the trip. Well it was now on it's 4th trip to WDW and it was DONE.

I purchased a used double stroller for our last trip thinking I would sell it after too. I'm tempted to use it on our next trip too, but my husband thinks it is going to break on us. It was also kind of bulky to handle (a Baby Trend Expedition). What kind of stroller did you end up renting for the week? Would you use it again?

ROL was ok but definitely a one and done for us, unless something changes with it.

I felt the same... I was glad I saw it once, but wouldn't go out of my way to see it again. But, my husband really liked it, so I'm debating whether to include it on our next trip.

So parents sometimes it is worth it to go out of your comfort zone in order to see your kids smiles!

I totally agree! I'm sure that will be memorable for your daughter as well.

(stayed at GF and came home with Disney baby)
Hahaha, but so fun!

My kids are homeschooled so we didn't have to worry about taking them out of school.
Us too! Lots of work but love the flexability

I made some quick sandwiches so we could get back on the road. Each kid got a soda from the cooler too
This is our family

he didn't want me to have to drive thru Atlanta

but I was also totally fine NOT driving so I didn't protest!
This is our family too

BoJangles
Never had this til we moved to Roatan but my kids love it and crave it now

my fitbit measured 4.5 hours sleep that night.
This, this is why I measure steps but not sleep. I do not want to know. As a mom to 8 there is never enough. I keep telling myself when I am 80 I will have time to sleep.

Honestly, I was frustrated having been woken up
Oh momma, this is so me, like I said so little sleep!

she was born in the car and she also happens to be a redhead!
Another LOL. born in the car? Care to share how that happened? I also have a DD redhead, they are great but come with some extra spice

I had always wanted to do a 7am opening at WDW
Hoping our hours get changed for Memorial Day weekend for the same reason!

Watching the sunrise at Animal Kingdom was so magical and it was at this point that I thought "all that planning is totally worth it."
Jealous
I got the pork fries (they were great!)
ON my list, glad to hear another great review

it is worth it to go out of your comfort zone in order to see your kids smiles!
Yes, I KNOW this is true just need to keep putting it into practice. Thus we added a waterpark day this year.....

7am for our PPO BOG Breakfast!
7am 2 days in a row!!! I am not the only crazy morning momma!

How did DD4 do on the ride?? My oldest will be 4 on our next trip. I'm still trying to get a sense of which rides I can try to get her to go on.

She did ok...enough to not freak out and cause a scene but she didn't like it enough to ask to go again. But she's used to stuff like that at home. They watch Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc so I think that helps.

I purchased a used double stroller for our last trip thinking I would sell it after too. I'm tempted to use it on our next trip too, but my husband thinks it is going to break on us. It was also kind of bulky to handle (a Baby Trend Expedition). What kind of stroller did you end up renting for the week? Would you use it again?

We got a Citi Mini Double and yes I would get it again. It was nice that I could push it with one hand when DS2 wanted to be held. Our double Maclaren wasn't like that. But it did take up more space and got in the way sometimes (keep reading the trip report as I will post later about our FoF Parade experience). I will say it was nice not having to transport a stroller back home! (We found a dumpster for the Maclaren).

I felt the same... I was glad I saw it once, but wouldn't go out of my way to see it again. But, my husband really liked it, so I'm debating whether to include it on our next trip.
Maybe you can present him with a choice...we could do ROL or...fill in the blank. That helps me with DH a lot.

We got a Citi Mini Double and yes I would get it again.

We have a City Mini we use at home. It is also used but is our “nice” stroller so I’m hesitant to travel with it. It’s also bulkier similar to the Expedition. I’m still looking for a stroller that is comfortable and will recline, but would be lighter. I’m on the lookout on local selling groups!

Maybe you can present him with a choice...we could do ROL or...fill in the blank. That helps me with DH a lot.

This is a good idea! He agreed we don’t need to use a FP or dinner package for it, but I’ve heard you have to get there early to be guaranteed a seat on stand by, so maybe I’ll phrase it that way - extra rides vs. just waiting for the show.

Us too! Lots of work but love the flexability

Yes, one reason that keeps us homeschooling is because of the flexibility and our love to travel!

Never had this til we moved to Roatan but my kids love it and crave it now
Wait...they have BoJangles in Honduras? When did you move there? I see your posts every now and then and always wonder about your family in Honduras!

This, this is why I measure steps but not sleep. I do not want to know. As a mom to 8 there is never enough. I keep telling myself when I am 80 I will have time to sleep.
I actually got a FitBit so I could track my sleep and give myself some grace on days when I had less than I needed. Basically, allow myself to nap and not push so hard to get things done. And 8 children that is amazing!! What's it like taking your family to Disney?

Another LOL. born in the car? Care to share how that happened? I also have a DD redhead, they are great but come with some extra spice
I love to share the story... basically I went into labor at home 2 days past her due date. But I didn't really know I was in labor because the 2 kids before her I was induced. The contractions were really strong but not 5 minutes consistently apart so the nurse at my doctor's office said to wait. When I went to use the restroom and had a contraction and felt like the baby was going to fall out then DH said it was time to go to the hospital. We lived about 40 minutes away from the hospital and my water didn't break until we were 5 minutes away. As we pulled into the ER entrance DH slammed into park and ran inside to get someone. By the time he came back out a minute or 2 later I was holding our baby girl in my arms. Except I didn't know she was a girl as I was too scared to look and was holding her at arm's length because I have sensory issues with touching "yucky" things. I hope that make sense and isn't TMI. So the doctor's came rushing out and I asked if they could tell me whether it was a boy or girl. They said a girl and I was thrilled. Then we noticed she had a head full of red hair. She's still our only girl and you are right, redheads come with extra spice! (I love that term)

Hoping our hours get changed for Memorial Day weekend for the same reason!
I hope so too! Can't wait to hear about your trip. Where are you staying?

Yes, I KNOW this is true just need to keep putting it into practice. Thus we added a waterpark day this year.....
Good for you...we have never tried the waterpark as none of our kids can swim well just yet so I'm too scared and prefer to relax by the pool at the resort. Is it expensive to add a waterpark?

7am 2 days in a row!!! I am not the only crazy morning momma!
Not at all crazy! But I did promise my kids that if they got up early that morning then they could sleep in the next day. That was a good motivator for them. 2 days in a row is our max. It seems like to do most everything you want with only about 6 days then you have to rope drop every park at some point!

We have a City Mini we use at home. It is also used but is our “nice” stroller so I’m hesitant to travel with it. It’s also bulkier similar to the Expedition. I’m still looking for a stroller that is comfortable and will recline, but would be lighter. I’m on the lookout on local selling groups!

This is a good idea! He agreed we don’t need to use a FP or dinner package for it, but I’ve heard you have to get there early to be guaranteed a seat on stand by, so maybe I’ll phrase it that way - extra rides vs. just waiting for the show.

Regarding the stroller...this is why we got the Maclaren so if you can find one of those then that would be great! They really are easy to push and maneuver really well. Plus they fold nicely and are compact.

As for ROL, that's a great way to put it. I would never use one of my first 3 FP again on it but if we happened to get one as a 4th, 5th then that might be ok. But even then I think I would enjoy other rides instead.

Following Along!
Thank you for following along! I see you have 4 kids as well! And your 4yo is the youngest so I think you will LOVE your upcoming trip with the ages of your kids. Just going stroller-less for a few hours with my bigger kids this trip (continue reading the TR for that) then I got a glimpse of what the future trips will be like.

Thanks everyone for following along...just wanted to say I hope to have my next installment up tomorrow morning (Tuesday, March 27)!

Wait...they have BoJangles in Honduras? When did you move there? I see your posts every now and then and always wonder about your family in Honduras!
Only on the island, one of the $$ families here must love it, there are 2 locations on our small island (About 30 miles long and 3 miles at its widest) THe mainland has everything American in the main 2 cities, Applebees, Chilies, TGI fridays, McD, Wendys, Burger King, Dennys, KFC, Johnny Rockets, Dunkin Donuts, Pizza Hut....its crazy. They love unhealthy American food here for those that can afford it. We have been in Honduras for 7 years this week, but on the island only that last year. My in laws retired and moved down since we have the only grand kids and the island was a better fit since half the island speaks English and learning Spanish at 70 is hard.

What's it like taking your family to Disney?
4 of the kids are foster kids so unfortunately they can not leave the country (someday we hope for the adoptions to go through and we can bring them!) but until then they get Grandma and Grandpa (DH parents) for the time we are gone. We are meeting my mom there for her first trip! Her health keeps her from traveling to us so we are really looking forward to this time. She has not seen the kids in 3 years other than via Skype.

isn't TMI
Nope, I asked. I almost had one of those myself but he waited just long enough.

I hope so too! Can't wait to hear about your trip. Where are you staying?
We are doing 2 rooms at Pop. Really hoping it goes well because no kitchen or living room area will be hard but could not swing for a 2 bedroom DVC and wanted to not rent a car after being hit by an uninsured driver on the last trip. Insurance nightmare but ended ok, other than the loss of half a day and lots of stress at the time.

Is it expensive to add a waterpark?
We went with an agency exclusive deal and tickets come with one bonus day that can be used for either water park (or mini golf) The tickets are 10% off Disney prices and the bonus is "free" so it was a good deal for us. And I paid with Target discounted Disney gift cards for a total of 15%.

Day 6 - Tuesday, March 6

With plans to meet my parents at 7 at the bus stop, I got up and got ready and by 6:15 I headed to the lobby of WL to pick up our newly rented stroller. The bellman was really nice and showed me how to fold it. I had totally forgotten to take cash with me to tip him so I said I would be back later. I felt really bad. So I headed back to the room and the kids were starting to wake up. This morning they had new Disney themed small stuffies. Not a huge hit, but enough for DD4 who is at that age where she thinks she needs something new all the time. But thankfully she didn't ask for stuff in the parks. DS2 decided on this morning that he wanted to sit on the toilet, he does this at home but nothing ever happens. But this time he had HUGE success...so much he wanted to stay there and didn't want to get off. DH said "you can't rush greatness". Of course I'm trying to get him off so we can go meet my parents. Finally we pried him off the toilet and headed out the door. It was about 6:55 and my mom was waiting and the MK bus was right there but my dad was not in sight. She said he went back to the room for his hat (he needs a park day list like me!) Thankfully it was only about a minute and he re-appeared. We got on the bus and were the only family on it. It was a quick drive to MK and we were there and through security by 7:10 probably. It was also an EMM morning so there were 2 lines forming on the far left. One for EMM and one for PPO guests. We hopped in the right line, they checked us on the ipad and gave us a PPO paper with a map showing which way to go. About 7:30 we were let in through the tapstyles. My mom and DS8 had issues all week with their fingerprints and they ended up holding up the line behind them. I felt so bad and the crowds were kind of pushing through at that point. Finally they got through and we stood near the tunnel waiting once again. My dad didn't quite understand all this waiting...why do we need to get here so early and then just wait? I just told him you never know how long it's going to take to get somewhere so I always like to allow plenty of time. My dad had his his replaced about 6 years ago and he still has pain when he stands for long periods of time. But I was proud of him for keeping up with us. I assumed they would let us all in at 7:45 but it wasn't until 7:50 that they let everyone into MK. We walked somewhat briskly back to Be Our Guest. We had pre-ordered so we checked in outside, they gave us a rose and we went inside to pay for our order on the kiosk. We were one of the first few families to enter and had our choice of seats. We sat at a large round table in the main ballroom. They told us to help ourselves to our drinks. I had ordered 1 Gaston's feast, grey stuff cupcake (for me), a kids french toast and a kids waffle. I really couldn't remember which meals came with a drink so honestly I just got drinks for everyone. My parents pastries came out first so we nibbled on those. Then their food came, then our pastries. They did only bring 1 tray of pastries for our family of 6 but we were ok with that. Thankfully I had told my parents about our plans to hurry up and eat and then exit. My dad is a slow eater so thankfully they got their food first! As for the food...the Gaston's feast was pretty good, the cupcake was great, the pastries were great (we bagged the leftovers and I ate them the next day for breakfast), but I would not order the french toast or waffle again. I was expecting french toast sticks like you buy at the store, and a thick mickey waffle. Instead we got 1 piece of bread that was cooked french toast style and cut into strips, and a thin waffle, even thinner than Eggo. But the kids didn't complain. My parents shared the Gaston's feast and enjoyed it. We made a quick trip to the bathroom and headed out the door about 8:35. Let me back up and say that we got in BOG by 8. But by 8:10 it started getting crowded and hectic so I would suggest to anyone with a PPO breakfast to get to MK by 7:30!!

Our original plan before my parents decided to join us was to get in line for Peter Pan and ride it at rope drop, then head to Frontierland. But my mom really wanted to ride 7DMT and since I could not find a FP for her, I told her we could get in line for that instead. However, since DS2 could not ride 7DMT I told him to take my dad (he didn't want to ride 7DMT) and go get in line for Peter Pan, then we would meet up at Big Thunder Mtn. Now, since it was an EMM morning, I knew that they would not let them on Peter Pan until after the opening show. But I didn't explain this to DH. When I told him to go get in line, he thought I meant go ride the ride. When they wouldn't let him ride he took DS2 over to the carousel (they let him ride it twice)! However, DH wasn't really paying attention to the time and by the time they were done with the 2nd ride on the carousel the park had opened so he headed over to Peter Pan. Back to that story in a minute.

Meanwhile, I took the 3 oldest and my mom to get in line for 7DMT. We walked out of BOG and there was a line against the fence so I asked the girl ahead of me if we were in the right place and she said yes. There was also a CM at the front of the line holding a sign for 7DMT line. I would say we had about 15 people in front of us. At 8:55 they started walking us over to the ride entrance, then right at 9 they walked us through the regular queue. We got on the ride, everyone enjoyed it and then we headed over to Big Thunder. We got there about 9:15 and DH and the others were nowhere to be found. I tried calling, texting but no answer. The wait time at Big Thunder was at 20 minutes and then I checked the app and saw that Splash was down. Then the wait jumped to 30 minutes. I was getting anxious and a bit upset at this point because this was not going according to my plan!! Finally DH called and said they just got off the ride. I was upset and didn't understand how that could be so he explained what happened above. They ended up having to wait about 15 minutes in line for Peter Pan. He told me to go ahead and get on Big Thunder. I was trying to wait for them so we could get a rider switch pass (turns out DH never rode Big Thunder that trip and I never rode Peter Pan). So I got in line with my mom and 3 older kids and we waited close to 20 minutes. Our TP had us going from Big Thunder to Splash then to Jungle Cruise for our first FP. We had planned to arrive towards the end of the window at 10:15. But my mom was getting nervous about missing that one so I told DH to meet us near Jungle Cruise. Splash was back up by the time we got off Big Thunder so we headed over to JC to find the others. (Just FYI Pirates was closed for refurb.) We met up near Magic Carpets and the kids wanted to ride it. We had some extra time so we took the kids on that while my parents rested on a bench. Now, knowing I had definitely wanted to ride Splash I managed to switch our Haunted Mansion FP to Splash. I didn't ask my parents about this so when I asked my mom which she would rather do (HM or Splash) she said HM. Uh Oh. I tried to switch the FP back to HM but could only do it for 4 people. Oh well, at least they would get to ride it. So we all got on Jungle Cruise (our skipper was great), then the FP window for HM opened up. At the same time DD4 saw Jasmine and Aladdin and wanted to meet them. This worked out great because my parents took the boys to HM while DH, myself, DD4 and DS2 waited for Jasmine and Aladdin. The line didn't look very long, but they never do. We ended up waiting at least 30 minutes. DH pushed DS2 around in the stroller and DD4 enjoyed finding the jewels in the concrete. It was 11am at this point and we planned to meet my parents at Columbia Harbour House for lunch. We arrived and they had already ordered for the 2 boys, so I placed a mobile order for the rest of us. Our order got messed up in the system and it took forever, at least 20 minutes. My parents were done eating by the time we finally got our order. They did end up giving us a frozen lemonade for our trouble. DH ordered chicken nuggets and I got the lobster roll (it seemed really heavy on the bread this time). We also got 1 chicken nuggets kids meal. It seemed tiny compared to previous years. After CHH, we used our next FP on It's a Small World (my mom loves this ride). It was noon by this point and we had plans for Mickey's Backyard BBQ that night and since we had Category 1 seating we needed to be there by 4:30. We were planning to stay at MK all day until after the FoF parade and then take the boat to Ft. Wilderness. However, I just wasn't sure if my parents would last that long. So I suggested it would be a good time for them to go back and rest if needed. They agreed and headed out of MK. We then headed over to Frontierland/Adventureland to spend the afternoon!

Next Up...Our Festival of Fantasy Parade Experience...and how I managed to lose DH and DD4.

Such a great trip report! I love all the detail! Amazing that you got to start your second day at Animal Kingdom at 7AM. What a fun filled day!

~LindsayC
#dvcrentals

Such a great trip report! I love all the detail! Amazing that you got to start your second day at Animal Kingdom at 7AM. What a fun filled day!

~LindsayC
#dvcrentals

Thank you, it's taking me forever and I feel like sometimes I'm writing too much. But inwasnt to remember it all later when I read it in future years!

Thank you, it's taking me forever and I feel like sometimes I'm writing too much. But inwasnt to remember it all later when I read it in future years!
I think it's great, and don't talk about taking forever - I'm still posting my TR from September! But I think that's partially from pictures (I totally understand not wanting to post photos of kids since they can't give permission).

Oh, and I didn't even realize you were someone I had been messaging with until I read about your EMH at AK. Then I was like - wait... KS at 8 am... and twoolle... that sounds familiar!

I'll eventually get to my experiences at AK... in like a month! (I would laugh, but that's is probably a serious timeline)!

DS2 decided on this morning that he wanted to sit on the toilet
I mean we want our kids potty trained but the process of potty training is not fun. or convenient, or less gross than those diapers. My DS decided that he would start using the potty while we at the hospital and he was on an iv antibiotic due to picking up a pretty nasty infection. For MONTHS we had been trying to suggest he should start using the potty and he showed no interest and then, bam his idea and there was no going back. while I carried him and held him over (infection was in his leg and he could not stand) and wheeled the iV with us..... ah good memories.

I mean we want our kids potty trained but the process of potty training is not fun. or convenient, or less gross than those diapers. My DS decided that he would start using the potty while we at the hospital and he was on an iv antibiotic due to picking up a pretty nasty infection. For MONTHS we had been trying to suggest he should start using the potty and he showed no interest and then, bam his idea and there was no going back. while I carried him and held him over (infection was in his leg and he could not stand) and wheeled the iV with us..... ah good memories.

Awe your poor DS! Yes, kids always choose the strangest time to decide! This is my last one in diapers (unless God has other plans)...I don't know what I will do when he's done with them...probably keep buying them out of habit since I've been doing so for the last 9 years!

Ok I am back with a new post finally! Baseball season is swinging into gear in our house and since DH and I coach a team a lot of the administrative work falls on me. Plus DD4 is playing Tball this year so we will be busy until August. Now if it would ever warm up and quit raining in MO.

Day 6 - Tuesday, March 6 Cont'd + Mickey's Backyard BBQ Review

We had 3 fastpasses for Splash (since I had split our 7 between Haunted Mansion and Splash), so DH took DS6 and DD4 on Splash while I took DS8 and DS2 to sign up for Pirate's Adventure. They explained the game to us and we headed off to find treasure in Adventureland. We were close to Aloha Isle so I ordered 2 Dole Whips via mobile order. They were ready pretty quickly and I forgot how big they were! I wanted to save some for DH and the other kids so I asked for extra cups. I was able to use those extra cups as lids and then I could carry them around in the cupholders in our stroller. It was only mid 70's so they weren't melting fast. We finished the first adventure (there are 5 of them and each one takes about 15 minutes) so we sat down on the curb to eat some of the dole whip. DS2 was really struggling at this point and desperately needed a nap, but he didn't want to sit in his stroller! DH returned with the other kids and we took them all to get another Pirate Adventure map. It was getting close to 2:15 and I still wanted to ride Splash (DH had gotten a rider switch) but the kids were so engrossed with the Pirate Adventure game that no one wanted to ride with me! Seriously, they loved this game and the "freedom" it entailed. And it was nice for us as parents to sit back and follow them around Adventureland for once. I finally convinced DD4 to ride with me on Splash. As we were heading to Splash I told DH to try and find a spot for the 3:00 FoF parade in Frontierland. (DH is not the best about following directions, especially if I do not stress the importance of following them...see BOG and Peter Pan above). We went through the FP line for Splash but they were having technical difficulties and kept announcing slight delay. So I texted DH to tell him not to wait for us to find a seat, hoping he would find a place for all of us and the 2 of us could just squeeze in (I know some of you hate this strategy but don't worry because it didn't work out anyways). We finally exited the ride at 2:45 so I called DH to see where they were...turns out they were waiting right by the exit of Splash (The boys had been insistent on finishing another adventure and then they were fighting and then on and on so he never had a chance to get a spot). Ugh! I rushed to Frontierland to find a spot on the sidewalk and they were packed! Plus, they were not letting people walk down the street. We were kind of stuck and I was really frustrated. DS2 was still refusing to sit in the stroller so I grabbed him and started pushing the stroller, laying my phone on the canopy of the stroller. Realizing I would not fit the double stroller walking down the roped off area (on the opposite side of Pecos Bill), I gave DH the stroller and told him I would walk with the 3 boys and find a spot to stand and DH and DD4 (who was in the stroller) should walk on the wooden walkway and once I found a spot I would let them know. This was a horrible idea! We should have just parked the stroller somewhere and walked down the walkway single file. Lesson learned! I did find a spot pretty quickly and I went to grab my phone to call DH I realized I left my phone on the stroller. My stomach dropped but since we were right in front of the wooden walkway I figured we could just wait for DH to walk by and call him down. We never saw him. The parade was about to start so I turned to a nice lady next to me and asked if I could borrow her phone. She was a sweet lady from North Carolina and let me borrow her phone. Thankfully DH answered so I explained to him where we were and told him to come find us and we would be looking for him. He said he was near Liberty Tree Tavern and I asked if he had a good spot and he said "not really" so I said our spot was pretty decent so he should come there. Another big mistake on my end. The music for the parade was starting. I LOVE the Festival of Fantasy Parade, I love the music, I love the floats, I love the characters and I love watching my kids stare in amazement. But I missed all that this time because I had my head on a swivel looking for DH and DD4 (I soooo wanted to experience this with our whole family together like we did on our last 2 trips). The parade ended and DH never showed up. The nice lady asked me if I wanted to call my husband again so I tried and he didn't answer. But I figured that's ok, he knows where we are so he will just come find us. Wrong again. I waited at least 5 or 10 minutes in that same spot and he never showed. I went to a couple stores to find a CM that could help. One let me use her store phone but it couldn't call outside the park. Another CM told me to go to the restrooms between Adventureland and Frontierland and there was an emergency pay phone. I went there (with all 3 kids tagging along and me holding DS2 of course) and could not find a phone so I went in another store and asked another CM what to do. (Again, a lesson learned, always establish a meeting place with your party if you get separated) This CM told me to go to Pecos Bill to find an emergency phone. We were still a bit away from Pecos Bill, so I didn't like that idea and on top of that DS2 grabbed one of those long lollipops from the store and I had to pry it out of his hands to put it back. He started crying and so did I. The older boys felt so bad for me...anyhow I rushed out of that store and headed to Pecos Bill with tears streaming down my face...and who do I run into coming the opposite direction...DH and DD4. I was so excited and so angry at the same time. We hugged and I tried to figure out what happened. Apparently he couldn't make it back over to where we were before the parade started so he just stayed put since he said he had a decent view and DD4 was enjoying the parade. Merida even waved to her and pointed out their similar red hair. And I Missed it!! :( So I asked him why he didn't come to our spot after the parade, knowing that's the last place I was and would be waiting for him. He said because he thought I would come find him since he told me where he was on the phone. Ugh! Such horrible communication. But that's ok, we still love each other unconditionally despite all of our flaws. We needed to get going at this point because it was 3:45 and we needed to be at Ft. Wilderness by 4:30 and you never know how long the boat is going to take. However, the boys were not happy because they had just 1 Pirate Adventure left to complete. DS8 is a highly anxious and task oriented person (like me and DS2 has some similar qualities we can already tell). We actually took him to some occupational therapy for a few months after he turned 4 to get help for his sensory processing disorder. Anyhow, when he starts something he wants to finish it. He was about to have a meltdown so we told him we would come back the next day to finish. He wasn't happy but well that's life.

So we exited the park and went to wait for the boat to Ft. Wilderness.

My parents were meeting us at Ft. Wilderness and I was actually kind of worried about this. I told them to take the boat from Wilderness Lodge to the Fort but sometimes they are like my husband when it comes to following directions (haha!) Turns out they showed up on the boat right behind us! We walked over to the pavilion and there were just a few people in front of us. They let us in at 4:30 for Mickey's Backyard BBQ (we had upgraded to the amazing Category 1 Seating) and there was a sign on one of the picnic tables with our name on it. They even had a high chair set up on the end for DS2. This was great seating. We were right next to the dance floor so we didn't have to move to watch the kids dance. The food wasn't out yet but they said to help ourselves to the Mickey bars...so of course we let the kids have Mickey bars! They were still upset about the whole Pirate Adventure thing and DS2 still hadn't napped so this helped all the kids. We also got some soda and then a few minutes later the bar opened and we filled up on Yuengling (a favorite of ours since we can't buy it in Missouri...in fact just writing this makes me want one so I am helping myself to one that we brought back from the Florida Walmart in my Pirates of the Caribbean frosty mug that I got last year on the Shop Disney Parks App). Ok back to the BBQ. With Category 1 seating there were maybe 10 tables reserved and I noticed that not everyone had shown up yet for their early seating! I think this might be because it's not explained very well when you register (imagine that). About 4:45 the characters came out. Chip and Dale and Goofy all met together on one side and then Mickey and Minnie met together in front of the stage. There were photopass photographers in both locations and we had plenty of time with each set. It was so nice to get this meet and greet done early! We were done by 5:00 and the food was ready by then so we went and got some (there was no line and it felt like we had the place to ourselves, the bartender even recognized us all night which I thought was nice even after the crowd of people arrived). I was starving by this point and was excited to eat! The kids got simple plates with hot dogs and mac n cheese. DH and I loaded up on pulled pork (it was your standard stuff but made better with cole slaw on top), ribs (really good and better than the pork), caesar salad (yum), macaroni salad (yum), potato salad (yum), mac n cheese (pretty good) and cornbread (yum). I didn't try the corn, hot dogs, hamburgers, watermelon, cucumber salad, kale apple salad, or even the strawberry shortcake dessert! I'm still kicking myself for not trying that one. But I was just so full from the other food and I didn't want to overstuff myself because there was still a lot of night ahead of us! Everyone else was let in around 5:15 and the show started around 5:30. DD4 loved dancing on the floor but never even got close to dancing with the characters for 3 reasons: 1) She pretty much stood on the edge near us and the characters danced mainly in the middle, 2) All the parents followed their kids to the middle so they could get pictures of their kids dancing with the characters, and 3) The characters spent so much time with meet and greets that they were actually only dancing for MAYBE 1/2 the songs. This part surprised me and the lines for the meet and greets were long all night. In fact most people had to stand in line waiting for the characters to come back after their dance set. You do NOT want to do this! After a few songs the band took a break and the trick roper came out. The kids all lined up sitting around the edge of the dancefloor (our kids didn't have to go far because this was right next to our table). My kids LOVED this part of the show (we are country folk so we like this kind of thing). During the trick roping show the characters would go to their spots and do their meet and greets. I think there were 2 trick shows and after each one the band would start playing again and the kids and parents would dance without the characters and then eventually the characters would come back. I will say that DD4 enjoyed this show a lot as most of the kids were around her age. DS8 felt he was too old to be on the dance floor and DS6 danced some but also sat some with DS8. DS2 wouldn't go anywhere near the dance floor and wanted to be held the entire time. My parents LOVED this show and even danced with DD4 some. I have never seen my dad dance in my life (other than our father/daughter dance at my wedding) and it was hilarious! But he didn't care what he looked like and DD4 was grateful.

Around 7:00 I could tell the older boys were getting a little bored. Our plan was to go to evening EMH at Epcot since it was open until 11 and we had a rest day the next day. I pulled up the Lyft app to see if there were any Minnie Vans close and there were a few. I didn't order one just yet though, as I needed to see what my parents wanted to do. I told them we were going to head to Epcot and they said they planned to just go back to WL. I must admit I was a little relieved because that meant our family of 6 could fit in a Minnie Van. Otherwise we would have had to take a different route to Epcot. My parents were ready to go so we headed out about 7:15. The band was about to play one last song which I think was perfect timing for us to go. I pulled up the Lyft app to locate the Minnie Van again and finally after a few minutes it located one. Whew! I had been stressing about that because I had heard it could be difficult at peak times. We headed to the bus stop and the CM there told us that Minnie Vans picked up near the barn and pointed us in the right direction. We headed over there and another family was just getting in their MV. While we waited another lady came up and asked if I was able to locate a MV because her app kept timing out. I told her I did but it took a few minutes. So thankful I ordered it just before the show was over! The kids didn't know what we were doing, they knew we were headed to Epcot but had no idea how we were getting there. Our MV pulled up about 5 minutes later and they were so excited (especially DD4). The driver did have to install both car seats which took a few minutes, but we were able to cram our double stroller in the back so I was relieved. I got to ride shotgun and DH had to ride in the very back since the car seats went in the captain's chairs in the middle row. The driver asked us where we wanted to go and when we said Epcot he was shocked. He said "most families are heading back to their hotel by now". We just laughed and said "yes we know we are crazy." We enjoyed chatting with the driver and we arrived at Epcot a few minutes later. Here's a tip...I downloaded the Lyft app right before our trip and put in the code "50TWITTER" which gave us $5 off our first 10 rides. This worked on the Minnie Van so it "only" cost us $20.

Up next...evening EMH at Epcot...oh how I love it!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter