4 Kids, 2 Parents, 2 Grandparents and Our 3,000 mile Roundtrip Adventure to WDW! Mar 1 - 10, 2018

I am so close to the end...but please forgive me for not updating in a while! There's only 1 more day left of the drive home, but I really want to share our budget plus get ideas from you guys on our next trip! So stay tuned!

Sunday - March 11 - We return home!

With just over 500 miles to drive on this day we weren't in much of a hurry. It was time change Sunday (spring forward) but once we crossed back into central time we would fall back again...so it was great! No real adjustment to make once we got home! Anyhow, I had a great night of sleep at the Days Inn and it may have been the best of the whole trip! I was finally able to relax I guess. We got up and had a decent breakfast at the Days Inn then we hit the road. We had lots of snacks in the car and didn't stop for lunch. The temps started dropping once we got to Kentucky and by the time we got to Illinois it was snowing! But thankfully it wasn't sticking to the roads. I could not find any clean pants for the kids so they all had on shorts. It worked out okay though because no one was really hungry enough to stop for lunch. We were scheduled to arrive home around 4 so on our way into town we stopped at Pizza Hut drive thru window and picked up pizza that I had ordered on my phone. We got home and ate some pizza then proceeded to unload the car. We were able to get everything unloaded and unpacked that night which was amazing! Usually it takes me about a week to get it all unpacked little by little. But with all the free time that evening it helped! I also think I had a glass or 2 of wine to drink while unpacking which always helps!

We were able to start school back up the next day and DH went right back to work so the transition back to reality really wasn't that bad. I really think it was because we got everything put away quickly. Of course we had mounds of laundry but that eventually got taken care of. (I have 2 rules while on vacation...I don't cook and I don't do laundry.) Since I am mostly a stay at home mom those things consume my day usually so if I'm doing them while on vacation then it doesn't feel like vacation.

I will be back with our budget and some more thoughts!

I'm glad you guys had a good trip! It seems like you fit in a lot, especially with 4 kids and 2 grandparents!

I am an accountant so I always feel the need to get my money's worth! I'm also a competitor so each trip I challenge myself to make the puzzzle fit better. Our 1st 2 trips were hard, but our last 2 have been so much better...mainly because the kids are older and are catching on to our rope drop strategy, etc. It's fun watching them. Last Friday we had a book sale to go to and I told them we were going to rope drop it and they knew exactly what I meant!

My parents hung in there and I do think they enjoyed themselves, especially the special moments with just the kids.

Our Budget

• Boulder Ridge Villas at Wilderness Lodge DVC rental for 6 nights (we rented directly from an owner) - $15/pt * 106 pts = $1,590
  • Five, 7 day parkhopper tickets from Undercover Tourist (purchased when they had a sale back in June 2017, buy 4 get 3 days free) = $2,100
  • Memory Maker - $169
  • Gas for 3,000 miles in our Ford Expedition EL = $350
  • Hotels in Southhaven, MS, Ocala, FL (used 50,000 Hhonors points from our Amex card) = $0
  • Days Inn Dalton, GA booked on Priceline Express = $82
  • Disney Food (meals for 6 people but 1 is under 3)
  1. Mickey's Backyard BBQ - $285
  2. Bon Voyage Breakfast - $168
  3. 50s PT Lunch - $101
  4. BOG Breakfast - $62
  5. Geyser Pt Dinner - $103, yikes!
  6. Flame Tree BBQ lunch - $42
  7. Columbia Harbour House lunch - $37
  8. Casey's Corn Dog Nuggets - $18
  9. Geyser Pt Lunch and Drinks on pool day - $72
  10. Lunching Pad lunch - $44
  11. Backlot Express Dinner for 4 - $69
  12. Snacks in the Park - $97
  13. Adult Drinks in the Park - $73
Total Cost of Disney Food: $1,171 (DDP would have been $1,369 for us but that does not include tips so we saved at least $200)
  • Epcot Honey-Bee Scavenger Hunt Maps x 4 = $25
  • Minnie Van = $20 (after $5 Lyft Twitter credit)
  • Stroller Rental with $10 early delivery fee = $90
  • Fast Food during road trip = $100
Subtotal = $5697 (yikes, yikes, yikes!)

Less:
  • $200 Disney gift card received for DH signing up for Disney Visa using my referral link
  • $40 Disney gift card received for doing DVC phone tour back in October 2017
  • $50 Disney rewards redemption earned for Disney Visa referral
  • $40 Disney rewards from spend on credit card
  • $21 savings for buying $450 in Gift Cards at Sam's for only $429
Savings Total = $351

Grand Total for Trip = $5,697 - $351 = $5346

This trip was easily $1,000 more than our previous 2 trips when we stayed at moderates with free dining. However, this time we had an extra ticketed child, plus we stayed deluxe. It was definitely worth it but in the future we will need to stay offsite or 2 rooms at a value in order to keep it under $5k which would be our goal. I have looked into renting points at Boardwalk Villas but we would need 2 studios and I would hope to share one of those with another couple or small family!

Thanks for sharing, I am a numbers gal myself. We are doing 2 rooms at Pop and put the room with my mom and 2 under 10 kids on the DxDDP. It should work out great. I wish there were DVC room for 6 for less than the 2 bedroom prices. We stayed off sight last time and wanted to try onsite this time. We will miss having a kitchen for snacks as my kids are big snackers and love big breakfasts. I would consider renting a camper, just not with my mom on this trip, no enough space.

Thanks for sharing, I am a numbers gal myself. We are doing 2 rooms at Pop and put the room with my mom and 2 under 10 kids on the DxDDP. It should work out great. I wish there were DVC room for 6 for less than the 2 bedroom prices. We stayed off sight last time and wanted to try onsite this time. We will miss having a kitchen for snacks as my kids are big snackers and love big breakfasts. I would consider renting a camper, just not with my mom on this trip, no enough space.

That's a great plan and I can't wait to hear about your trip! I am curious what you think of Pop! I am sure you will have plenty of space for snacks...when we stayed at CBR and POR we would take a hanging shoe holder and put on the bathroom door and put snacks in it like granola bars, trail mix, etc. That way the kids could just grab from there but it helped on the clutter!

Some Final Thoughts

Crowds - averaged at a level 6 the week of Mar 4-10, 2018. I thought this was a great time to go crowd wise as it was right before all the spring breaks started. Also it was great not having to worry about party nights and super crowded MK nights as a result!

Weather - too cold IMO, but I like it HOT! I want to leave the hotel in shorts and a tank top and not have to layer at all. There was only 1 day that I wore shorts.

Cell Phone & Battery Usage - We took 2 extra battery chargers with us to the parks as my phone would drain in the morning. However, before we left home I did not check all the charging cables and the ones we took to the park were not good! So make sure you check your cables before leaving home! Also, we have unlimited data on our phones (Sprint) and I'm glad we did because anytime we tried using the WiFi it was slow. We didn't have that experience on previous trips as I thought the WiFi was just fine. But perhaps it's because of more people using their phones in the park trying to get fastpasses.

Next Trip - When we got home and I realized we drove 1900 miles just to get to WDW, I looked up on the map and it's only 1,800 miles to Disneyland! I wanted to make that our next trip in August 2019 so I started doing some research. But then I realized Star Wars Land will probably be open by then at DLR, causing lots of crowds. So we were thinking we might wait until 2020 to try DLR. Plus our youngest would be 5 by then and we might be able to go stroller-less. I tentatively have my heart set on returning to WDW in late 2019 before Star Wars Land opens so here are the options:

• Late August would work well with baseball schedules and perhaps they will still offer Free Dining. I would love to stay at Art of Animation in a Cars Family Suite but rumor has it that will be excluded from free dining this year. However, my kids would miss the pool slides and I would miss the hot tub.
  • Another option would be to get connecting rooms at All Star Sports (theming is perfect for my kids), we could maybe get free dining and just upgrade 1 of the rooms to the regular DDP, thus giving us TS meals for just half our stay, which is PERFECT! I honestly hate having a TS meal every day. (Plus all the tips you pay for)
  • Staying offsite at Wyndham Bonnett Creek - can get these for about $1,000 for a week. Or my in laws are Wyndham owners and might could book something for us. However, we would get NO EMH which we love, plus would have to pay for parking.
  • Staying offsite at Hilton Buena Vista Palace, if they continue the EMH perks. After resort fees, parking fees, and Disney parking fees this would cost of $300/night. But they have a beautiful pool which we would love. We would probably have to offset the high cost of the hotel and NOT get parkhoppers.
I really despise going during party season. I would like to go maybe the 1st week of November before they start the Christmas Parties as that would be great weather. However, rates onsite are higher then and there is no free dining offered. Plus, it's a big week for DVC so the chances of renting points at Boardwalk during that time would be slim.

So many decisions! Another dream of mine is to get an AP one year that would over maybe a late August and an early August trip the following year. Then in between take 2 special trips with just 2 kids each for their birthdays...just with mom!

But on top of all that we love to travel other places...but it's hard to find the time for a long trip since we own our own business and the kids play sports, so getting away more than once a year for over a week can be tough. Plus, DH and I need some time to get away on our own too! We did Mexico for his 40th bday last year and it was so relaxing.

I think after I see what happens with the free dining that is supposed to drop tomorrow, then I might just take a break from Disney research for a while. I feel like I am so torn over when/where the next trip should be that I get upset about it and it's at least 16 months away, haha! It literally consumes me sometimes and it's not always healthy as I find myself checking disney updates before reading my Bible in the morning! We are going to Gulf Shores this August for a big family trip with my parents and sisters and their families so I have that to look forward to!

Anyhow, thanks for following along, if you have any tips or insight on what we should do next, let me know!

Our family would like to visit San Antonio, Smoky Mountains, Colorado...and one day do Colonial History stuff, Charleston, Savannah, DC, etc...but some of those need to wait until the kids are a bit older.

I will be making a trip report cause I just want too. I will let you know. Here is our price break down, 10 nights at POP x2 rooms= 2140.59, so it comes to $107 per room per night, this was through an agency rate and paid with discounted Disney gift cards. tickets are 5 day non hopper with a bonus water park day, 5 adults, 2 kids $2117.73, Tickets through the agency were discounted about 10% and I paid with discounted Disney Gift Card. And the Deluxe plan for 3 for 10 nights, with Discounts gift cards coming to $1,700.19 for 90 meals credits (app,dinner,drink, dessert or buffet credit) and 60 snack credits and 3 mugs. We do not drink pop but coffee and hot chocolate I am guessing we will. I would not pay for these. So sitting at $5858.51. I have $75 in free gift cards to cover most of the Rainforest and Yak and Yeti tip, and plan to opt out of housekeeping for all but one day in the middle giving us another $160 towards tips. Plus have about $200 in the rest of my discounts Disney gift cards. We did only 2 TS last trip and mostly QS and eating at the condo and a few snacks sprinkled in at the parks plus the SW dessert party. I am looking forward to the 9 TS meals we have planned since we do not plan to go back to the room on park days. But my kids are older 7,9,11,and 13. Travel is another chunk with international flights and such. If we ever move back the US the trips will feel cheaper with driving, ha!

Oh, was stayed at WBC last time and loved it. Very nice place, kids loved it. Just had to leave the park early several times as some were ready to leave(inlaws!) so I wanted the freedom to stay as late as I wanted and those that want to go back to the room can.

Oh, was stayed at WBC last time and loved it. Very nice place, kids loved it. Just had to leave the park early several times as some were ready to leave(inlaws!) so I wanted the freedom to stay as late as I wanted and those that want to go back to the room can.

Yes this is another reason I like to stay onsite! I guess we could always uber back if no car seats needed.

I will be making a trip report cause I just want too. I will let you know. Here is our price break down, 10 nights at POP x2 rooms= 2140.59, so it comes to $107 per room per night, this was through an agency rate and paid with discounted Disney gift cards. tickets are 5 day non hopper with a bonus water park day, 5 adults, 2 kids $2117.73, Tickets through the agency were discounted about 10% and I paid with discounted Disney Gift Card. And the Deluxe plan for 3 for 10 nights, with Discounts gift cards coming to $1,700.19 for 90 meals credits (app,dinner,drink, dessert or buffet credit) and 60 snack credits and 3 mugs. We do not drink pop but coffee and hot chocolate I am guessing we will. I would not pay for these. So sitting at $5858.51. I have $75 in free gift cards to cover most of the Rainforest and Yak and Yeti tip, and plan to opt out of housekeeping for all but one day in the middle giving us another $160 towards tips. Plus have about $200 in the rest of my discounts Disney gift cards. We did only 2 TS last trip and mostly QS and eating at the condo and a few snacks sprinkled in at the parks plus the SW dessert party. I am looking forward to the 9 TS meals we have planned since we do not plan to go back to the room on park days. But my kids are older 7,9,11,and 13. Travel is another chunk with international flights and such. If we ever move back the US the trips will feel cheaper with driving, ha!

Looks like you have maximized your discounts! What's your favorite way to get discounted Disney gift cards?

I see what I can do from outside the US. Its hard as there is less. I got the free $50 Disney Gift Card from the Growupyoung in Feb by buying a years worth of diapers and wipes for my special needs son. I redeemed my ebay bucks for the Landry gift cards. But mostly I get Ebates and buy through target at 5% off. I did buy $2100 Target Gift cards at the 10% off sale the first week of December and then turned them in to Disney Gift Cards (I sent my mom in with cash to do it for us). We do not use credit cards as it is hard to use them here. I do buy a lot online and ship it to us so I do rack up decent ebay bucks and Ebates. I wish I could get in on some the ways those in the States can do. I follow the DIsney Gift Card thread to keep a look out for anything I am able to snag.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter