4 WDW Resorts to allow dogs

You can't compare dogs to people. I can't see any way for that to make sense. Sure people can be noisy but don't get fleas or mark their territory or very often cause allergic reactions and so on. At least I hope not.

I expect that this is just the tip of the iceberg.

You can't compare dogs to people. I can't see any way for that to make sense. Sure people can be noisy but don't get fleas or mark their territory or very often cause allergic reactions and so on. At least I hope not.

I expect that this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Plus not allowing people at a resort is sort of counterproductive to the bottom line.

And just because you have one noisy messy species allowed doesn't mean you need to include more.

Well, I had planned on booking POR for my trip next year with my dad. Thinking this would be one of the few resorts my dad might actually like. Now, I don't want to stay there. I like most dogs, but my allergies hate them. I also don't want be anywhere near the noise of them. Many dogs tend to act up in unfamiliar surroundings and at unfamiliar noises.
People will get caught up in enjoying their time at the parks and forget about time. It happens. So dogs will be left alone for longer than 7 hours. I will happen. This is just cruel to lock up a pet in such a small area for such a long time in an unfamiliar place. Locking up a pet in a home or apartment is one thing, but a hotel room is completely different.

I also don't like that they can carry them (whether in a crate or not) on DME or the Minnie vans. Some people are deathly allergic to pets. Put them in such a confined space together is just asking for trouble. This can force families with allergies to go to the extra expense of other transportation options. Instead, force the people with the pets to use other transportation.

Ok I'm catching up on this thread, and I'm sure someone has mentioned this..... but I have to.....

If 15% of people are allergic to dogs, and you have 4 people in your family, the math for the probability is 15% per event x 4 events = 60% chance one of the people in your family is allergic to dogs.... I think the 48 % was to adjust for the 15% being the max percentage for allergies presented.

That's not actually how the math works.

You missed the point. I'm not staying that people are dogs and dogs are people.

Simply saying that some would say there are many people who really aren't well suited to a Disney vacation, for a variety of reasons.

We can make personal judgments about whether those people or dogs belong there, but it is not up to anyone but them to make the decision to go.

If you don't think dogs and Disney mix, don't take your dog. But for people who think their dogs will do just fine, it is good that they can now make their own decision about what to do.

Live and let live.

People aren't dogs and dogs aren't people. People aren't allegic to people and don't have some of the issues with other people that you might with dogs, ie: it would be illegal to leave your child in the room unattended for 7 hours while you go to the park. Adding dogs impacts other people, so it isn't live and let live at all.

I'm a little surprised at how badly this is going over pretty much everywhere I look. I'm actually against it, but people get crazy when it comes to their dogs. I'm thinking that even the ones who like the idea aren't really thinking it through.

-It's $50/night (or $75). Add in day care at Best Friends starting at $27/day and you are looking at an additional $500/week.

If you opt to go without the day care you have the "benefit" of:

-shelling out an extra $350/week.
-not being away for more than 7 hours. Including transportation, security, and entrance lines, you are looking at about 5 hours in a park.
-the risk of being called out of the park at any time.
-locking your pup in a room for hours
-exposing your pup to daily fireworks. Do people not know you can hear the nightly fireworks pretty well at most of these hotels?

But...you get a mat and bowl!

(disclaimer - have only read first page and this one)

I, personally, will enjoy having dogs around. I miss my cats when I go on vacation, and furry critters make me happy.

But, I feel for people who are allergic and for dogs who will be left bored in rooms all day. (I would hope that people whose dogs are afraid of fireworks won't choose to bring them.)

I think there are going to be a lot of complaints from people who don't like their choices being limited. (But I also a - try to keep the perspective that Disney itself is a choice out of reach of so many, and b - think too many choices actually cause people a lot more stress than they realize.)

I'm a little surprised at how badly this is going over pretty much everywhere I look. I'm actually against it, but people get crazy when it comes to their dogs. I'm thinking that even the ones who like the idea aren't really thinking it through.

-It's $50/night (or $75). Add in day care at Best Friends starting at $27/day and you are looking at an additional $500/week.

If you opt to go without the day care you have the "benefit" of:

-shelling out an extra $350/week.
-not being away for more than 7 hours. Including transportation, security, and entrance lines, you are looking at about 5 hours in a park.
-the risk of being called out of the park at any time.
-locking your pup in a room for hours
-exposing your pup to daily fireworks. Do people not know you can hear the nightly fireworks pretty well at most of these hotels?

But...you get a mat and bowl!

For the record: 2 very spoiled dogs who do go on vacation with us ... where they will enjoy ... and that is not Disney.

My kennel for 2 dogs, 2 required baths, daily activities is over well $800 for a week.
Disney Hotel room for 2 dogs will be $350 for a week.
That $450 I save I can get some nice eats or spend a little for a dog walker mid day.

So my family gets up and goes to "rope drop" and with your travel time, spends 5 hours IN the park. We come back early afternoon to check in and walk the doggie, grab late lunch at hotel, maybe a swim or nap. At 5 pm we head back out to the parks and close them down. That is alot of park time for me. My dogs are indoor, low key, couch potatoes that would love watching Stacy all day. Fireworks - not a fan but we'll leave tv on and if we pick POR or FW likely they won't hear them anyway.

If someone wants to bring their dog, that $ won't scare them off if they are paying for a good kennel at home.

Last edited:
I think they should monitor the electronic door systems and anyone leaving a dog more than 7 hours should be fined $200 on the spot.

:duck:

That brings up a good question. What exactly are Disney's "penalties" for non-compliance to the rules? People who inevitably will:
- Leave their dog longer than 7 hours alone in the room
- Don't respond within the 30 mins if their dog is reported as a nuisance
- Repeatedly bring dog(s) into unauthorized areas (lounges, restaurants, etc)
- Have their dog get loose and roam the hallways or grounds
- Sneak their pet(s) into the room without paying the fees at all
- etc

Disney seems to be pretty "soft" as it relates to many of their rules in the interest of "guest satisfaction", will they enforce these with penalties up to and including expulsion from the resort? Or will it be "Sorry sir that you 'weren't aware' of the $50 pet fee, we'll just charge it to your room now that you know. Or, "Sorry miss, we've received 5 reports of your dog being loud. Oh, but you're checking out tomorrow and don't want to move or board your dog, it's ok."

Are you able to leave the A/C on in your room now? We stay in our camper now, but I remember waking up in the middle of the night at a Disney sweating because the a/c had a motion sensor to stay on. If that hasn't changed, it can get pretty hot in the rooms in the summer.

Are you able to leave the A/C on in your room now? We stay in our camper now, but I remember waking up in the middle of the night at a Disney sweating because the a/c had a motion sensor to stay on. If that hasn't changed, it can get pretty hot in the rooms in the summer.

I had this concern too. Over the summer I stayed in one of the refurbished Pop rooms and the AC stayed on while I was out, a pleasant surprise. I'm not sure if that's intentional or if my room had a "broken" thermostat. But it was not the case at the Yacht Club, which I'd stayed at just a few weeks before. That was mostly fine because the YC has the interior hallways, but POR has exterior corridors. And I guess the LM section at AoA, too.

If the AC's motion sensor will be activated by a dog in the room -- fine. Drawing the curtains should help to keep the rooms fairly comfortable for the dogs in case the AC turns off. But it's important for guests with pets to know beforehand.

That's ok. Just leave your dog loose in the room and call him a few times to get him up and moving around. :jumping1:

That's ok. Just leave your dog loose in the room and call him a few times to get him up and moving around. :jumping1:

:rotfl2:Practice jumping on the bed would work too. Once they learn that they never stop.

OR my DD has a camera in her house so she can see her dog when at work. If he starts to do something fishy, she can yell at him and he can hear her. Take that along ... in case he won't answer the phone.

Even with the sensors, the AC still has a default setback and AC will still cycle. I suspect it's around 76 or so. So probably not hot enough to injure a dog

I don't have strong feelings about this change at all. My husband is allergic to dogs (and cats), but even he shrugged this off. We'll just stay at one of the resorts that are dog free, as long as that lasts.

I'm really just curious to see how successful the trial will be when all is said and done. The nightly pet fee, on top of pet day care, does not seem economical or practical; in a lot of cases, it's cheaper and easier to board your dog locally. The owners who cannot leave their dogs due to separation anxiety will likely have issues even at WDW, unless the owner returns to the room frequently. Disney must've done the research on this though. I look forward to seeing how this all plays out.

That's not actually how the math works.

Pretty sure it does---
flip a coin 4 times-- probability says you will get 2 heads--- 50% per event X 4 events = 2..........

Can't tell me this is wrong---- the math doesn't care what the numbers or situation is----- it stays the same. the beauty of math.

Pretty sure it does---
flip a coin 4 times-- probability says you will get 2 heads--- 50% per event X 4 events = 2..........

Can't tell me this is wrong---- the math doesn't care what the numbers or situation is----- it stays the same. the beauty of math.
If the allergy rate is 15%, then in a group of four people the chance that no one will be allergic is 85% to the 4th power, or 52.2%.

Pretty sure it does---

If the allergy rate is 15%, then in a group of four people the chance that no one will be allergic is 85% to the 4th power, or 52.2%.

Which means the chance that someone WILL be allergic is about (as I said) 48%. Beer Dave, thats what I was talking about, David Hobart is exactly right. Its not as simple as adding up the number of people and the chance.

Use your own logic, if its a 50% chance to flip a coin and get heads, if you flipped two coins, by your logic one would ALWAYS turn up heads 50% + 50%. But of course you know perfectly well that you might flip it 2 or 3 or even 4 times in a row and have it land on heads, but it will become less and less likely the more times in a row you do it. That's how probability like this works. Hope that clarifies.

I've only read a few pages, but I have a few questions. Dogs are nice as long as they belong to someone else. I don't want to take care of dogs, neighbor dog, sure, I'll pet you, good doggy, see you next week. That's enough for me.

That said, I'm curious, what are the dogs suppose to do 6, 7 hours a day. At home, don't most dogs have a larger space to roam. Then when the owners get back, is a 20 min walk going to be enough for a dog that's been in one room all day.

What about you are in the elevator, double stroller with two toddlers, door open and dog owner is waiting to bring doggy outside. Can the parent say please don't come in, my kids are afraid of dogs?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter