4 years later, we're coming back, and so much has changed!!!

mommyof2boys1girl

I shall call him squishy and he shall be mine...
We've toured The World twice before, once in 2012, then again in 2014. We missed 2016, and now we are coming back for a Feb, 2018 trip. We've always stayed on site before (kids were young and prices were lower), but now due to family economic considerations, skyrocketing prices for tickets, hotels, etc...we've decided to pare down to the bare minimum to be able to afford to come at all. We're staying off-site and had to decrease to only 2 park days, so I really need to be on the ball with planning to make sure we can do all we can with our limited time.

We are planning to spend Wed, Feb 21 at AK, and Fri, Feb 23 at EP. We will have a rental car, so we'll have to learn how to drive around The World for the first time, also. We are also doing Universal for 3 days, Discovery Cove, SeaWorld, and 2 days in Tampa for Busch Gardens and Clearwater.

I used to feel pretty confident with my ability to plan, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed now with our new, kamikaze style of touring we're having to adopt, and I'm looking for advice.

What parking strategies should I employ? How much should we expect to pay for parking at WDW?

How has the addition of the Pandora attractions changed touring strategies for AK? Is it unrealistic to assume we can do most of the headliner attractions all in one day?

Are there any major changes to EP that I should be aware of in the past 4 years?

We will be using the FP+ system to the best of my ability, however we can't book anything for another few days, and I am afraid most FP's for the Pandora attractions will be gone before I can even get on to book.

Any other advice would be appreciated, and I am sure I will have more specific questions as I continue planning!

Thanks!
Caremen

The thought of being in Orlando for a week and a half and only doing 2 Disney days is making me anxious. LOL. That is just me, though.

Anyway, I don't know the answers to all your questions, but I know parking is $20. I know if you get there super early, parking payment booths are not yet manned, and you can just drive right in. You will be directed to a spot, I don't think you can just drive around looking for that perfect spot.

If you get a FP for FoP, I think you should be able to do all the AK headliners in one day. If you don't get one, consider getting there considerably before rope drop (8 AM or earlier on a 9 AM opening day) or getting in line shortly before close. Most people head straight to Pandora, so the rest of the park is pretty wide open for a couple hours.

How has the addition of the Pandora attractions changed touring strategies for AK? Is it unrealistic to assume we can do most of the headliner attractions all in one day?

You have two options for being able to ride the Pandora attractions with a shorter wait.

1. Get to AK at least one hour before opening and head for Flight of Passage. This is the one of the two you REALLY want to do. You'll likely be off the ride by 9:30 or so. Check the wait time for Na'vi and decide if it's acceptable.

2. Wait until the very end of the day and get in line for FoP before park closing. You could still wait an hour, but you won't be using much park time to do so. The problem with this one is you can't do both rides at the end of the day.

Outside of these two strategies, you'll be waiting at least an hour and a half if not more to ride FoP.

You should be able to get FP+ for the other headliners, even at 30 days out.

The thought of being in Orlando for a week and a half and only doing 2 Disney days is making me anxious. LOL.

Ha Ha.....nope, it's me too! Which is why I'm trying not to hyperventilate while planning those 2 days!! But couldn't justify the extra $500 US per day that the WDW parks cost!

We will try to be parked an hour before opening - I'm a firm believer in getting in line early, even if my family might protest! :drive:So if the booths aren't manned, how do we pay??

Ha Ha.....nope, it's me too! Which is why I'm trying not to hyperventilate while planning those 2 days!! But couldn't justify the extra $500 US per day that the WDW parks cost!

We will try to be parked an hour before opening - I'm a firm believer in getting in line early, even if my family might protest! :drive:So if the booths aren't manned, how do we pay??

You don’t. But just one hour before open, they should be manned.

The only time I've seen them unmanned is during pre-opening AM EMH when everyone who is getting there has EMH privileges.

You won't get FoP fastpasses at 30 days, but you should be able to get Navi River, I've just had a look at the 21st and Navi is available from 1.10pm onwards. Keep checking back on FoP though because they do pop up sometimes. From what I've read, if you get there an hour before opening you should get on FoP without too much wait

So if the booths aren't manned, how do we pay??

I've never seen them not manned and I've been there so early they were blocked from entrance and all lane lights were red. We waited there in a line until they were manned, the lights were turned green, and then we entered. Unless something's changed since then....

Keep tweaking your fastpass choices if you aren't satisfied. This works. People change their minds and some cancel their trips. You can get a hard to get fastpass if you follow it everyday until your trip. Also, keep in mind you can do extra fastpasses after your third one is done. There are kiosks in the park if you don't have a smart phone to change or make more fastpasses.

Go early, but you are doing this already. You may have to compromise. Should I wait for a certain ride twice as long as doing two or three other rides.

AK is tough in one day. It's a large park. Try to avoid backtracking.

I have to say, you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. I think you need to go in with a mindset so that you won't be frustrated if you can't do it all.

Wait...how many people are you bringing? The difference between a 2 day adult ticket and a 3 day adult ticket is $89 US... so you're bringing 5 or 6 people?

Wait...how many people are you bringing? The difference between a 2 day adult ticket and a 3 day adult ticket is $89 US... so you're bringing 5 or 6 people?
Yep, family of 5. All kids now over 10. Makes life easier but more expensive....

And when we compare to other options for where to best spend our dollars, unfortunately Disney comes up short. We can do Universal for an extra day for around $100, SeaWorld or Aquatica for free (with DC passes)....even our drive to Tampa to do BG is gonna be cheaper than 1 more day at Disney. Makes me sad....:sad2:

Last edited:
I have to say, you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. I think you need to go in with a mindset so that you won't be frustrated if you can't do it all.
As we've been to all the parks before, and the kids are older now, we are paring down on what we "need" to do, versus what we "might like" to do if there is time. I'm an obsessive planner, and have used Touring Plans before, perhaps to an unhealthy level :rolleyes1, so we plan to use their day planning service to do the absolute essentials, then add in extras as possible. I am well aware that doing everything in one day us just not possible without a great deal of stress and screaming (not sure who would be screaming - me or everyone else!!), so we are trying to content ourselves with our "must do" list and seeing as much of the new Land as possible. In previous years, AK was our "relaxi-park", so we would visit multiple times. And I'm not sure our 14 year old really wants to play in the boneyard for 3 hours this trip!!:rainbow:

Thanks for the tip on checking for FP's though - makes sense that some people's plans might change, and just because there are no FPs tomorrow doesn't mean some might not open up next week!

Good luck with all this running— I recommend a good pair of shoes. This is definitely why I love DVC, I never care if I miss something because I know I will be back. Have fun, and temper expectations.

I guess you could buy PH..(park hoppers ) ......lots of construction around Disney so good luck with driving..
Universal / IOA which park will you do?? enjoy..you will be surprised at all the changes...

Universal / IOA which park will you do?? enjoy..you will be surprised at all the changes...
We are doing 3 day park to park passes at Universal, so most days probably both parks. First few days we are meeting up with friends who overlap with our trip - their son is 9 and he's an only child, so he's never had another kid to tour amusement parks with. He's kind of been adopted into our crazy family! We're gonna just let 'em all loose at US and IOA and watch the fur fly! :tongue:

I will be doing touring plans for those days as well, but I think we're planning at least one day to just let the kids do what they want (within reason, of course). It will be a new experience for a Type A Planning Fanatic like me!

Hi it looks like you are going to have a great trip. We have been going to Universal for our yearly trips. You asked if anything has changed with EP (express pass at Universal) HP attractions are now included with it. It makes touring that part of the park a little easier.

Universal is one of those parks that you can let the kids do what they want it's very manageable :rotfl:. We just did DC this past summer on our Universal trip but when I booked DC I had already planned Uni for the trip and didn't get to use my SW and Aquatica. We now know for the next time we go back. We loved DC it was amazing!

Enjoy the trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter