Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

As I suspected ... no medal engraving for Sarah. Unless they get the corrals off super fast (not likely) and I finish waaaaay faster than anticipated (also not likely). I want to be home by noonish, 1pm the latest, and the timeline is just not possible.
I can send a proxy, though ... which would be great if I either had friends or was the kind of person who was willing to ask other people for favors.
Sigh.

This is what task rabbit is for.
I assume there are other similar services in your area. Key point: asking people to give up their time is hard. Paying people who can say no to give up their time is nearly emotionless.

I know I am late to the party but I HAD to share this. And yes, it is me, lol! My sister's wedding, circa 1990-something and I don't feel like figuring it out right now! :)

10391751_100550426635737_1975942_n.jpg

Hope your knee gets better. Mine sometimes acts really weird, like it doesn't want me to run, but it always feels better after I run. When that happens, I monitor closely to make sure it's not a problem during, immediately after, and the next day.

Thanks. This is definitely a rest thing - I'm pretty sure it's tendonitis, based on the presentation and how different it is from my prior knee issues. I'm on rest, ice, and NSAIDs until Thursday, and I'll evaluate Thursday morning if I'm good to run or need a few more days of rest.

Now I think you should run the marathon in, wait for it, MC Hammer pants. And a gold tech shirt. Because reasons.

They wouldn't fit under my skirt.

This is what task rabbit is for.
I assume there are other similar services in your area. Key point: asking people to give up their time is hard. Paying people who can say no to give up their time is nearly emotionless.

I thought about something like that, but paying someone to take my medal to the free medal engraving seems like a waste of money. It would probably be cheaper to just take it somewhere where I'd have to pay to have it engraved. Oh well.

I know I am late to the party but I HAD to share this. And yes, it is me, lol! My sister's wedding, circa 1990-something and I don't feel like figuring it out right now! :)

PEACH BRIDESMAID DRESS!!!!!

Oh crap, I definitely have to name the shoes that now, don't I?

I changed my mind. I'm not bringing negativity everywhere I go. It's just that some of the people around here are *******s. (There are a few people in particular who come to mind, but really, I think a lot of people there are (intentionally or not) a lot more negative than they need to be)

Also ... I was at work at 7:53 this morning and I never knew how much I'd appreciate the quiet. People are here now and it's weird to have the noise.

Last edited:

<WorkRant>
So ... the project I'm working on is supposed to create a frictionless experience on a particular part of the website. And it does a good job of that. Mostly.
For the first few months I worked on this project (aka until today), if you were on our part of the website (let's call it "Page A") and had not yet logged in, you could click on "sign in" and a sign in modal popped up that allowed you to sign and then would close and you would still be on Page A, but now you would be signed in and have access to things saved in your account.
There was a UX change made yesterday, and now when you click 'sign in', it takes you to to Page B, which is the sign in page for the rest of the website, and once you sign in, it takes you to Page C.
I get why they did it. It ensures a consistent experience across the site. But if I then have to click another few buttons to get back to Page A (and possibly sign in again, I'm still figuring that out) ... how is this frictionless???????? It seems pretty high friction to me. Ugh.
Plus, with this change, I now kinda have to change everything I've done for the past few months, because it all depended on logging in and expecting to be on the right page. Sigh.

ETA: This is only partially meant as a criticism of the design pattern. I dont like it, but I'm sure they did it for a reason. What I'm really bothered by is the fact that they didn't have this UX pattern in there from the beginning. My time was wasted by the fact that they changed the design in the middle of the process.
</WorkRant>

Last edited:
As I suspected ... no medal engraving for Sarah. Unless they get the corrals off super fast (not likely) and I finish waaaaay faster than anticipated (also not likely). I want to be home by noonish, 1pm the latest, and the timeline is just not possible.
I can send a proxy, though ... which would be great if I either had friends or was the kind of person who was willing to ask other people for favors.
Sigh.

The good old 90's....peach, peach and more peach! My bedding was peach :)

<WorkRant>
So ... the project I'm working on is supposed to create a frictionless experience on a particular part of the website. And it does a good job of that. Mostly.
For the first few months I worked on this project (aka until today), if you were on our part of the website (let's call it "Page A") and had not yet logged in, you could click on "sign in" and a sign in modal popped up that allowed you to sign and then would close and you would still be on Page A, but now you would be signed in and have access to things saved in your account.
There was a UX change made yesterday, and now when you click 'sign in', it takes you to to Page B, which is the sign in page for the rest of the website, and once you sign in, it takes you to Page C.
I get why they did it. It ensures a consistent experience across the site. But if I then have to click another few buttons to get back to Page A (and possibly sign in again, I'm still figuring that out) ... how is this frictionless???????? It seems pretty high friction to me. Ugh.
Plus, with this change, I now kinda have to change everything I've done for the past few months, because it all depended on logging in and expecting to be on the right page. Sigh.

ETA: This is only partially meant as a criticism of the design pattern. I dont like it, but I'm sure they did it for a reason. What I'm really bothered by is the fact that they didn't have this UX pattern in there from the beginning. My time was wasted by the fact that they changed the design in the middle of the process.
</WorkRant>

As an end user that would completely piss me off.

As an end user that would completely piss me off.

Yeah, I'm not wild about the user flow. I much prefer to be able to log in and then be back on the same page where I logged in. But I guess the UX designers think this will help our business. That or they're secretly trying to annoy our users. It's one of the two.

---

Running-related comment:
Was talking to my dad and he said that if he ever ran a marathon again (note to self: try to get him to enter next year's NYC marathon lottery?), he'd want to do a 27-mile run before just so that he knew mentally that he could do it. I understand the sentiment, but for me that's like 5-6 hours and it would kill my entire day. But that's really what I've been struggling with here - balancing time with mental preparedness. I have no doubt that I can be physically prepared for the race without a 26-mile run. But mentally ... I dunno. It's tough for sure. I've struggled a lot with not being mentally prepared for new goals.
I gotta think about this.

Also ... I was scheduled for 3 mi EC (easy continuous) tomorrow and 5 mi Easy/LR intervals Sunday, but I think I'm gonna do intervals tomorrow and continuous Sunday so that I have one more long-ish continuous run before the race.

I understand the sentiment, but for me that's like 5-6 hours and it would kill my entire day. But that's really what I've been struggling with here - balancing time with mental preparedness. I have no doubt that I can be physically prepared for the race without a 26-mile run. But mentally ... I dunno. It's tough for sure. I've struggled a lot with not being mentally prepared for new goals.
I gotta think about this.
I feel the same way. The mental aspect of a marathon really started playing with my mind during my recent half. I'm hoping that between a variety of mind games that @OldSlowGoofyGuy suggested to me over on my training journal and refusing to give up, that will be enough to get me across the finish line. From a physical standpoint, I told myself that if I can tour the parks after a half, then I can handle the physical element of a marathon so long as I train for it. But the mental game? I still have a whole lot to learn. But I'd rather work on it now than attempt to figure it all out on race day.

I feel the same way. The mental aspect of a marathon really started playing with my mind during my recent half. I'm hoping that between a variety of mind games that @OldSlowGoofyGuy suggested to me over on my training journal and refusing to give up, that will be enough to get me across the finish line. From a physical standpoint, I told myself that if I can tour the parks after a half, then I can handle the physical element of a marathon so long as I train for it. But the mental game? I still have a whole lot to learn. But I'd rather work on it now than attempt to figure it all out on race day.

Yeah. All of this. Now's the time to work on figuring out the mental game. Hopefully we'll both be able to figure it out and go into the marathon confident that we'll enjoy all 26.2 miles!

Question:
Would it be evil to go to random strangers' race charity fundraising pages and donate money anonymously with a really friendly and encouraging message that sounds like it would come from someone they actually know, leaving them to wonder who this anonymous donation is actually from?
Actually, written out it doesn't sound so evil. It sounded more evil in my head.
Hmm.

Question:
Would it be evil to go to random strangers' race charity fundraising pages and donate money anonymously with a really friendly and encouraging message that sounds like it would come from someone they actually know, leaving them to wonder who this anonymous donation is actually from?
Actually, written out it doesn't sound so evil. It sounded more evil in my head.
Hmm.

Not evil, at best disconcerting for the object of your generosity. I have donated to friends' causes anonymously without a message because in general I keep monetary things on the down low (not the disabled list). However, if it were a random stranger who's cause just sounded worthy I would be more likely to be encouraging and state I did not know them- I hate fundraising and think that a stranger thinking I was asking for money for something that is not a bother would make me feel less uncomfortable with the whole deal. So, I say give away, message or not.

Not evil, at best disconcerting for the object of your generosity. I have donated to friends' causes anonymously without a message because in general I keep monetary things on the down low (not the disabled list). However, if it were a random stranger who's cause just sounded worthy I would be more likely to be encouraging and state I did not know them- I hate fundraising and think that a stranger thinking I was asking for money for something that is not a bother would make me feel less uncomfortable with the whole deal. So, I say give away, message or not.

Well this more the idea of throwing people off by donating and making them try to figure out which one of their friends donated anonymously (when it was really a random stranger). That's the evil part - I would do it to cause trouble for the person, and giving money to a good cause would just be a side benefit. My brain is a little weird sometimes.
I think I probably would give to a random stranger's fundraising campaign if I thought the cause was worthy, just probably without a message.

Well this more the idea of throwing people off by donating and making them try to figure out which one of their friends donated anonymously (when it was really a random stranger). That's the evil part - I would do it to cause trouble for the person, and giving money to a good cause would just be a side benefit. My brain is a little weird sometimes.
I think I probably would give to a random stranger's fundraising campaign if I thought the cause was worthy, just probably without a message.
As someone who has fund raised for a cause before, I feel like random stranger's generosity meant more to me than people I knew.

I feel like everyone is missing the point. It's not about donating to charity. That's a side benefit. The point is to make people think that one of their friends donated anonymously so that they then may want to figure out which friend it was. If I do it right, the person whose campaign I donate to won't know that it was a random stranger who donated (at least not right away ... they may figure it out after asking all their friends).

My 2 cents (you get what you pay for):

You have to look at the intention of the act. If the intention is to cause confusion and possibly embarrassment, then it is evil.

The fact that you have to ask if it is evil might mean that it is. On purely un-evil acts, you don't have to ask. Example: should I rescue the puppy in the road? Unambiguous yes, assuming you're not Cruella de Vil.

Wearing my flame-proof underwear, just in case.

You have to look at the intention of the act. If the intention is to cause confusion and possibly embarrassment, then it is evil.

Confusion, yes, that's the entire point. Embarrassment ... not as much. So it is evil, but is it too evil, even for me? Hmm ... gotta think about that.

The fact that you have to ask if it is evil might mean that it is. On purely un-evil acts, you don't have to ask.

Fair point.

Wearing my flame-proof underwear, just in case.

Not necessary, but always appropriate :)

Also, guys ... apparently my race next week is a "deceivingly hard course" (according to a NYRR staffer on Instagram).
What have I gotten myself into?

(more on the race next week, hopefully ... I'm working on the pre-race post, but don't have an abundance of time these days. I am hoping to pick up my stuff after work today, but only if I can get out early)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter