50’s Prime Time with anxiety issues?

CogsworthTN

Disney Gal Forever
:guilty: I seem to be becoming more like my avatar everyday... My husband would like to have lunch at the 50’s prime time for our upcoming trip in May, but I do not like being singled out nor do I want to partake in anything such as a song or something else. My anxiety issues have become worse over the past few months, but I would like to eat there for my husband. Can we request not to participate in the show stuff without making the staff perturbed?

:worried: Help

Tell the hostess that you do not want to participate in the back and forth antics and they will not do it. My husband hates stuff like that and we wouldn't be able to go otherwise.

The staff are also pretty good about reading the cues from the guests. When we ate there years ago it was me, DH and my inlaws. DH was not into the antics and our server easily picked up on that. My FIL thought it was hilarious, so she really only messed with him.

I've been three times and the server only joked around with us the first time when it was a group of 7 adults. The other two times it's been myself and one other adult and they didn't act any differently than any other server in another restaurant.

We ate at 50s Prime Time for lunch this past Monday- I was a little concerned about the antics primarily because of DS15 who is a picky eater and does not like being the center of attention BUT I really wanted to check it out. Our server was fantastic (Quinn is her name)! She was exceedingly energetic- gave us a healthy dose of fast-paced assertiveness without any negativity. When I tried to order a kid's portion of salmon because I wasn't terribly hungry, she insisted I wanted the adult salmon with the same sides. She was right- salmon, mashed potatoes and green beans were yummy. She let my kids sub french fries for the vegies I knew they wouldn't eat. When DS15 ordered a milkshake for his drink, she told him that was a dessert and she would bring water.....but brought the milkshake anyway with no further comment.

I agree with previous posters, it shouldn't be a problem. We don't like to participate in big antics at places, and we usually only get the basic "no elbows on the table" speech without anything that would single us out or make us uncomfortable.

Most of the time when we have gone there - it was very low key to non existent. The last time we went my daughter told the hostess that we wanted to have fun with the antics and boy did we. The waitress had our whole room going. We were all cousins at a big family dinner. People had to stand nose to wall for misbehaving etc. it was the most fun we have had there. We even saw other guests from a different table later in the day and greeted each other as “cousins”. That being said I am pretty shy and the waitress didn’t make me stand in the corner or anything. I have to say in that situation I probably would have been ok because somehow she made the whole room into one big happy family

Most of the time when we have gone there - it was very low key to non existent. The last time we went my daughter told the hostess that we wanted to have fun with the antics and boy did we. The waitress had our whole room going. We were all cousins at a big family dinner. People had to stand nose to wall for misbehaving etc. it was the most fun we have had there. We even saw other guests from a different table later in the day and greeted each other as “cousins”. That being said I am pretty shy and the waitress didn’t make me stand in the corner or anything. I have to say in that situation I probably would have been ok because somehow she made the whole room into one big happy family

This I know I could not do at all. It sounds like it was a fun experience, but I really couldn’t do that.

I want to thank everyone for the advice. I’ve showed my DH all the responses and he would rather us keep our lunch reservation at the Brown Derby, but for dessert we are going to the 50’s for the famous peanut butter and jelly milkshake in their bar area.

This board has so many great people. Thank you so much for helping me. :daisy:

This was an epic fail on our last trip. My son has anxiety, and even though they scaled it back for our table, he was freaked out by what they did to the tables around us. When the teenager ordered something and the waiter said 'no' then kept going, we never knew what we were actually going to get. He gave us a hard time for using cell phones after waiting 45 minutes for food. I get the shtick, but this was very poorly executed. We were all tired and hungry and plan meal times to relax, but this one just came off as rude and frustrating. We have a relatively short list of "never-again's" but this is definitely one of them!

OP as an alternative, if DH actually wants the food rather than the antics, you can order the full 50's PT menu from the Tune-In lounge next door.

I have to wonder why someone who just wants to relax at mealtimes plans a dinner at a restaurant known for their antics

I just worry that the more people go and request "no antics" the greater the chance they will just stop doing them altogether.

If you know you or someone in your family would be uncomfortable by the performances, please pick a different restaurant!

We tried it because there are so few options in HS. We had tried most of the others, and the menu sounded like good comfort food to balance out some of our more adventurous reservations.

I have to wonder why someone who just wants to relax at mealtimes plans a dinner at a restaurant known for their antics

I just worry that the more people go and request "no antics" the greater the chance they will just stop doing them altogether.

If you know you or someone in your family would be uncomfortable by the performances, please pick a different restaurant!
Some ppl would like to go for the comfort food and they shouldn't have to be left out simply bc they suffer from anxiety. Until you go through it you wouldn't understand but a bit more empathy would make the world a much nice place. Im sure the antics wont stop bc some ppl ask not to participate. Your talking about a tiny percent of thousands and thousands of ppl who will ask to not participate, most ppl complain they aren't getting enough of the antics so I really feel that you have nothing to worry about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter