50’s Prime Time with anxiety issues?

I have issues with anxiety as well and honestly I feel like the PP has a point, if you aren't into these types of antics then why go to a restaurant that's known for them? But I think it's really smart of the OP to ask for more details and try to get a sense of what it's like there. Depending on level of anxiety/what your triggers are, preparing like this can make a huge difference in being able to enjoy yourself in a new situation. Good luck, OP!

See I understand anxiety bc I also suffer greatly. For me research, asking questions and preparation helps me, a lot. Sometimes its not as bad as I had imagined other times it wasn't a situation I needed to be in, BUT I made the decision and its something I would have never known if I could do it if I hadn't tried it.

That being said I felt the whole why would someone even go hey don't ask to not participate in the antics bc you can ruin for the rest of us was extremely selfish. Just bc someone doesn't suffer or understand doesn't mean that the other person shouldn't be able to try or maybe even enjoy it! It sounded like judgment not really advise..

Wrong - not being mean or selfish. I do know people who understand from anxiety and most of them wouldn't want to go somewhere where they would feel uncomfortable.

Yes it does happen too. People complained about the candy lady in Japan not picking their children and then it stopped. People complained about their kids not getting picked to wake up Tinkerbelle and now they stopped it. And so on.

As others have said, the servers tend to read guests cues and if you're not into it, they pick up on that. I don't think their goal is to make anyone feel uncomfortable. If you see antics, it's because the guests are egging it on.

I've seen some people really get into it occasionally but other times, you don't see or hear anything out of the ordinary. In the last few years it seems like the antics have really died down in general.

If you want to ensure no antics, just tell the hostess when you arrive. We love 50's PT because the restaurant itself is awesome, you feel like you stepped back in time. We also really love the food there and there aren't a ton of good options at HS.

However, if you are unsure, just skip it and maybe next time you will feel up to it. After all, it's your vacation and it should be fun, avoiding things that you don't think you would enjoy, is probably wise :)

If comfort food is your jam, Trail's End is worth checking into. No antics or audience participation. If you want to stay in the DHS area, Sci-Fi is a good choice for those looking for menus that are pretty normal, or it's a short boat ride over to ESPN at the Boardwalk, Big River Grille.

I have social anxiety, always have, and I remember going to this place with my family when it first opened back in 1989 or so, and BOY were the antics out of control - I think I've blocked most of it out, except that my dad doesn't have a good sense of humor (he thinks he does, but he doesn't) and was VERY grumpy and refused to play along with the server, and the whole thing was just excruciating from start to finish. We actually avoided going back for like 20 years because of that.

Finally went back around 2014 or so while going with friends who wanted to try it, and I was dreading it so much, and it was just fine. The antics were nowhere near as intense as they had been back when they place was brand-new - and more importantly, I wasn't traveling with Grumpy Dad. (Also, I was an adult and am better equipped to handle social anxiety now/better medicated.)

Good milkshakes.

I don’t have anxiety, but I knew that I would hate the antics at this restaurant, so we ate our meal at the bar instead and it was perfect for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter