50's Prime Time Cafe...disappointment

I have never had a good experience at 50's. I'm kinda jealous of those who do. It's now on my permanent never again list.

I'm sorry you didn't get to have any fun there. It used to be awesome. I guess we were very fortunate to have 4 exceptional experiences there before the lousy one a couple of weeks ago.

I've gone two or three times and each time was a dud. The last was the absolute worst…..we were kept waiting a good 40 minutes past our ADR time for mediocre food and an experience that felt more obnoxious than fun.

Was there last week and was also disappointed. Food was eh and out waiter cousin was kind of surly....not fun. We have gone on every trip to Disney and this may be the last visit to 50s. ( on top of everything the dessert I was looking forward to was off the menu....booooo)

Reading these reviews is making me nervous! We always go here and have a great time. I would be okay if their shtick was gone, but the bad food reviews too isn't good ! I may have to rethink about eating here in September.

Reading these reviews is making me nervous! We always go here and have a great time. I would be okay if their shtick was gone, but the bad food reviews too isn't good ! I may have to rethink about eating here in September.

We were just there on Thursday and the food was great! We had chicken Ceasar salads and DH had some shrimp special. We were all happy with our meals. I had the apple crisp for dessert. I liked the crisp but found the apples too sweet. And the waiters were good. They did their shtick but weren't over the top. I was pleasantly surprised after reading this thread.

Thank you! I really wanted to eat here because we are taking my mother-in-law and thought she would like the whole 50's thing! Hopefully we get a great experience like you had there!

Because it seems to be "hit or miss," I think you should go and see for yourself. Just because some of us have had bad experiences lately, doesn't mean it will happen to you too.

The theming is still awesome, and you may get a great waiter. It is worth a shot.

So sorry to hear that many of you have been disappointed. This is always a must do for our family and we had a great time when I took my sisters and nieces in Dec--no one ordered chicken, but the pot roast was delicious. I wonder at check-in if you can request to be in a section with a server who likes to "get in the spirit?" We're heading back next week in fact and I'd like to request our past waitress if she's working but I didn't write down her name and have a terrible memory. She put both my niece and daughter in the corner for playing with their "walkie talkies" (cell phones) during dinner and threatened to make them sing "I'm a Little Tea Pot" to a boy of her choice if they continued. Here's a super short video clip--can't make out the name tag, but if anyone recognizes her an has a better memory than me, I'd love her name. Thanks!

Last edited:
This place is one of our favorites, and I'm really looking forward to our Reservation during our Trip next month. I hope it hasn't changed as much as I'm reading on this thread. We had a wonderful time in '13. Our Daughter deliberately hid some of her food under her napkin. Our "Cousin" caught her and made her stand in the Corner, while having everyone around her shake their fingers at her and chant "Naughty, naughty Girl!" She left the Corner without his permission, so he took her by the hand and sat her with another Family---he told her that was her new Family.. Hahaha

Fingers crossed.

Thank you for sharing! We are going and I may just have to cancel that one. I like more exotic foods anyway!

We've been going since 1999 and haven't ever had the interactions that others talk about. We still go because we like the food, but I am jealous of those who've been able to experience the playfulness.

I'm sorry you had a negative experience. :cool: Our last time @ 50's PT we ordered, blinked & our food was on the table. No. Joke. I felt our waiter ruined our meal by being greedy. I get he's making a living & needs to work fast. However, I feel you get what you pay for & the service did not reflect the quality of the food or the "experience" we paid for. He just flat out, didn't care. Honestly, the food came faster than @ a QS station! :eek: I will say the food was hot & excellent, but the guy who waited on us stunk! It's actually hard for me to say anything bad about WDW since I'm such a huge fan of the incredible service they give but this guy was just not good. Would I give it another chance? Yep-I think I would, only if I got him, I'd speak up next time.

I was not wow'ed the last time we went, but we still had the experience. Food was not bad in my opinion.

I was disappointed with our first visit to 50s in June. I guess our toddlers looked tired or we don't look like fun because our waitress pretty much ignored us while we saw her be really friendly to other tables.
None of the food was bad, none was really great. The pot roast was really good. My DH and I each ordered the PB & J shake. They must have used old ice cream in his or something because it was really icy while mine was smoother-neither tasted like PB & J, just peanut butter. The serving sizes were also not as huge as we were lead to believe (or maybe we're just gluttons, lol).

Come to think of it, with the exception of Yachtsman (and Yak n Yeti), I guess our family gives off the vibe to Disney waiters that you should just give us our food and bill and be done with us. Maybe TiW had something to do with it? (We did have twin toddlers, but we aren't particularly rude or demanding people, we don't let our toddlers just misbehave while we eat...we really don't like to complain, especially at a restaurant.)

Let me just say that we have enjoyed 50's on every previous trip to WDW. The entertaining waitstaff made it a very fun experience, and the food was delicious.

Things have changed at 50's. I read about it on some threads, and I hoped that these experiences were unusual... The waiters have really toned it down, almost as if they are afraid of getting into trouble for joking around with customers. I guess some people were offended by the antics of the waiters, and now the entertainment is essentially gone.

We gave our waitress lots of clues that we were "game" and ready to play along...we came right out and said that my DH is a big tattletale and started misbehaving. They replaced the disgusting greens with corn on the cob so that people would eat their whole meal rather than hiding the greens or getting chastised by the waiter. She told us in a monotone voice that we needed to behave...She was no fun at all, no matter what we did to engage her. She basically ignored us. The other tables were just as bad with customers frowning at the lack of fun.

The food was bad. DD and I got sick on the fried chicken.

Epic fail.

We won't return there on our next trip.

:(

I love the 50's and I go there for lunch every trip. Including my upcoming one next month.

We've had great experiences as well as disappointing ones. I guess it could depend on which waiter or waitress you get. Our most recent visit was awful...food left us with stomachaches and the waitress was totally boring and kind of in a hurry to turn tables.

Let me just say that we have enjoyed 50's on every previous trip to WDW. The entertaining waitstaff made it a very fun experience, and the food was delicious.

Things have changed at 50's. I read about it on some threads, and I hoped that these experiences were unusual... The waiters have really toned it down, almost as if they are afraid of getting into trouble for joking around with customers. I guess some people were offended by the antics of the waiters, and now the entertainment is essentially gone.

We gave our waitress lots of clues that we were "game" and ready to play along...we came right out and said that my DH is a big tattletale and started misbehaving. They replaced the disgusting greens with corn on the cob so that people would eat their whole meal rather than hiding the greens or getting chastised by the waiter. She told us in a monotone voice that we needed to behave...She was no fun at all, no matter what we did to engage her. She basically ignored us. The other tables were just as bad with customers frowning at the lack of fun.

The food was bad. DD and I got sick on the fried chicken.

Epic fail.

We won't return there on our next trip.

:(
Wow!!! I feel the exact same way about 50's. I too got sick on the Fried Chicken and both DS and I were ready to be part of the fun, but got a dud for a waiter. We basically watched guests around us and laughed at their experiences. Just like you, I will never go back.

Wow!!! I feel the exact same way about 50's. I too got sick on the Fried Chicken and both DS and I were ready to be part of the fun, but got a dud for a waiter. We basically watched guests around us and laughed at their experiences. Just like you, I will never go back.

Same. I see a trend here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter