50's Prime Time Cafe...disappointment

We're going with the kids. I loved going to 50's diner back in the 80s and the waiter jumped on our table. He had a great personality and I love it so much. I'm looking forward to trying this again with my kiddos.

There is no way to know if it was food poisoning; or if they didn't change the oil for frying often enough; or if my stomach couldn't handle the grease. It is interesting though that I have eaten the same meal at 50's four times before and never had a problem...

My biggest issue with 50's is that they went from being a highly energetic and entertaining restaurant to a boring place to eat.

I am a health inspector and know a lot about foodborne illness. Yes, could of it been foodborne illness? Perhaps but I doubt it. Disney has their own quality control/sanitation inspectors and I am sure do everything to avoid foodborne illness. People who get sick at Disney with gastrointestinal issues are most likely infected with the norovirus which you can catch anywhere in Disney. It is the same illness that hits cruise ships and is very contagious. You can get it from touching a surface that has it and then eating something after it. I am sure Disney has very strict standards to avoid any foodborne illness. Many people also overeat and eat much more rich foods when they are on vacation and then are in the bathroom a short time later and think it's a foodborne illness when in fact it has nothing to do with it. Most foodborne illness take 8-12 or even more hours to affect someone. People almost ALWAYS contribute gastrointestinal issues with the last meal they ate when in fact the majority of time, it has nothing to do with it.

We ate there last September, and while the food was good, our server didn't really seem to be into the "show" at all. Since we mainly go there for the fun, we were disappointed and it's off our list for a while.

We have had great meals here, but most recently in April, we had an amazing server. Bottom line, the server makes or breaks this meal. He made the kids eat their veggies, but also told them a ton of jokes, brought out ice cream, and in general just had us laughing the entire meal.

I agree about the role of the server. This restaurant is less about the food and more about the "show".
The only reason we ever went to 50's Primetime Café was for the show. Granted, my daughter is a professional actor, and I've dabbled as well. This is our kind of fun.

I wish there was a way to indicate, when making reservations, what kind of experience you are looking for. For those who don't enjoy the antics, they could be given waiters who will just serve the food like any other waiter in any other restaurant. For those of us looking to play and have fun with the theme originally created by 50's Primetime, we could have a waiter who gives us the show we are looking for. I've gone every trip, and until the last one, which was a total dud, we laughed until we almost wet our pants. Those memories are priceless to my family.

We go for the food and the fun experience. I think of the five times we went to 50s, we only had a blah server once. We have ressies for this coming January and hope to have the usual fun experience - and I always look forward to the fried chicken. :flower1:

Reading the reviews beforehand, I knew not to leave the table without asking. I did this and then had to stand with my nose on a wall in time out while everyone laughed. My girls loved it, and it was fun to play along.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter