5k Pacing Requirements

mr incredibleS1

Mouseketeer
I have read on the Run Disney site that there is a 16 minute mile pace requirement for the 10k, half and full marathon. There was no mention of pace requirements for the 5k. Does anyone know if there is acpace or time limit?

They are way more lenient on the 5K...eventually they need to get people out of the parks to get ready for opening, but it's much more casual than the longer races. But I've seen reports of people with paces of 25:00/mile+.

My husband and I walked the entire Jingle Jungle 5K this past November, finishing the race in a little over an hour. We were in the C corral and didn't stop for any characters as I just wanted to finish my first 5K.

And don't forget that the 16 min per mile starts when the very last people cross the start line. So if you are crossing anywhere ahead of them you get more cushion of extra time. If you end up in the last corral, try to start towards the front of it to give yourself "bonus time." And yes, they are more lenient with the 5k. NOTE that the 5k is un-timed unless you are part of a challenge (someone can correct me if I am incorrect about that.)

If you are moving forward you'll be allowed to finish the 5k. If you choose to sit on a bench for awhile or otherwise stop moving for a extended length you'll have issues... If you are significantly slower than 18-20 min miles you may not get character stops..

I have done a disney 5k with a child who basically SAT DOWN at one point and started crying. They think you're crazy when you tell them to go the NEED to go to sleep, but noooooo.
Aaaaaanyway.... We finished that one in about 1:45 which is a pace of over 33minutes. And there wasn't any sign that we were going to be swept.
Granted, we were not the last ones to start. There were plenty of people who started after us so we had plenty of people who we ended up passing once we started moving again. BUT still. With an average pace of 33 minutes!?!?
Yeah. If you keep moving. You will be fine.
The main thing is that they need to be able to open the park in time.
If you believe you can complete three miles on your own power without sitting down or taking breaks in and 1:30 or 1:45. Then do not worry one bit!
If you feel the need to worry anyway, then just make sure you do your best to move up as far as you can in your corral to give yourself a buffer.

And regardless of your pace today... until race day, keep moving! It not only helps you enjoy your race time more. But it make the parks more enjoyable too :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter