5K WDW 2017 Marathon Newbie- Have A Few Questions

BWV Dreamin

DIS Veteran
I want to participate in the 5K next January. I am totally new and know nothing about this event or RunDisney in general. Any answers to my questions very appreciated in advance.

1. I am a DVC member. Is there early registration for DVC members ? When is that? Do you have to go through the DVC members site to register?

2. What are bibs? Do you get them once your registered?

3. Is there an advantage to using a travel agency to register or book a race package over just getting my own DVC room?

4. Is a ticket to Epcot included when you register for the race? Is it possible to take Disney transportation to the "expo" area where you need to pick up your race packet?

Any other advice appreciated!!

I want to participate in the 5K next January. I am totally new and know nothing about this event or RunDisney in general. Any answers to my questions very appreciated in advance.

1. I am a DVC member. Is there early registration for DVC members ? When is that? Do you have to go through the DVC members site to register?

2. What are bibs? Do you get them once your registered?

3. Is there an advantage to using a travel agency to register or book a race package over just getting my own DVC room?

4. Is a ticket to Epcot included when you register for the race? Is it possible to take Disney transportation to the "expo" area where you need to pick up your race packet?

Any other advice appreciated!!

1) Yes, there is early registration for DVC members. The registration for WDW 5k is April 26, 2016 and from what I can see online, DVC and Annual passholder early registration will be April 19, 2016. You can find the information and look for any changes by logging into your DVC account, going to member benefits, and selecting "special offers" under benefit type. Scroll down and you see a link to information on runDisney early registration. A word of advice, these events fill fast, you will want to do it as close to noon EST as possible on April 19.

2) Bibs are what you wear during the race, they have your runner number. The 5ks are not timed, so there is not a timing chip on that one, but you still need to wear it to identify yourself as a runner. Your bib gets you into the corral area. Also marathon foto will take pictures during the race, and you will be able to find those on their site (to purchase if you choose) using your bib number. You will pick bib (and t-shirt) up at the expo. You need to go the day before the race for the 5k. Except for extreme circumstances, like flight cancellations, they do not let you pick them up the morning of the race.

3) Not that I know of. If you are DVC and have the points, I don't see advantage of a travel provider. Some people use them for package deals. Others use them to guarantee entry prior to registration. But, if you have a room to use via DVC, then you shouldn't need a package. Sometimes packages include ticket deals, I've never done the WDW weekend in January, so I'm not sure if they have ticket deals or not. Not all races do, I've done the Princess weekend which has no ticket deals and Avengers weekend, which did, and you could get those without a travel package.

4) No, races do not include a park ticket. Yes, Disney transportation is available to the expo and all race events. For the January weekend, all hotels (and DVC resorts) are host hotels, meaning they all have race transportation.

One bit of advice on transportation. Not sure what your home resort is, but the monorail ones (Poly, BLT, VGF) do not have monorail transportation this year for the 5k. They may or may not be true in 2017, it was news to me this year. I booked BLT for next month for the Princess Half weekend, and was planning on using it for the 10k and half (at BWV for the 5k). But monorail is only going to be running for the half. I used it in 2014 for all three races and loved it. A little frustrated they changed that. So, don't pick a monorail resort just for transportation to the 5k race. They will have buses for the 5k, not the monorail.

Thank you so very much DVCfan1994!!!! I have plans to stay at OKW studio HH. I know the 5K is held in Epcot. I don't know if you have to pay a park ticket to run the race or not. I do plan on training for the 5K ( training to walk a 16min/mile) so I know the runDisney site has training info. Can I register two people at one time through that DVC link ( we are both members hubby and I)? I will be right online on April 19. Does online registration start at 8a on that day?

Registration always starts at noon eastern time.

I have not yet been able to use dvc early registration for the January 5k. Princess 5k yes, but it said "no" for the jan 5k in 3014 and 2015.

You can now only register one adult at a time. Get active.com registrations for both of you ahead of time and know the password. Or have both of you on separate computers and do it at the same time.

You do not need a ticket to run. The 5k starts and ends in the parking lot of Epcot. The park is not open during the run. If you want to visit the park after the finish THEN you will need a ticket.

It starts at noon. No ticket is required for entry to the park during the race. You could register yourself and your husband, but not at the same time. You will each need your own Active.com account (every adult registering does). You can register yourself, then him. I suppose depending how fast it sells out, by choosing to register him instead of him doing it for himself, your chances of it selling out before you finish both registrations increase. That said I've done 2 registrations for the 5k at Princess two different years without issue. And I did 4 for the Avengers 5k before it sold out. If you set up the active.com accounts in advance and copy and paste your credit card info, you should be able to do it quickly.

Registration always starts at noon eastern time.

I have not yet been able to use dvc early registration for the January 5k. Princess 5k yes, but it said "no" for the jan 5k in 3014 and 2015.

You can now only register one adult at a time. Get active.com registrations for both of you ahead of time and know the password. Or have both of you on separate computers and do it at the same time.

You do not need a ticket to run. The 5k starts and ends in the parking lot of Epcot. The park is not open during the run. If you want to visit the park after the finish THEN you will need a ticket.
Why do we need to register with active.com? Does going through the DVC link take you to active.com? I will be at work so I'll have to be on break then and do it from work. I will be bummed if I get in but not the hubby bill have to register us both :(

I just registered us both on active.com. So if we can't register through the DVC link we need to go through active.com? Active.com wants a credit card added. I am assuming for both of our accounts I'll need to add that prior to registering? Or can I do it at the time? Right now I am not seeing the Marathon 5K listed when I search for 5K registrations. I know we can't register now but shouldn't it be listed for April?

I just registered us both on active.com. So if we can't register through the DVC link we need to go through active.com? Active.com wants a credit card added. I am assuming for both of our accounts I'll need to add that prior to registering? Or can I do it at the time? Right now I am not seeing the Marathon 5K listed when I search for 5K registrations. I know we can't register now but shouldn't it be listed for April?
In order to register early you do need to use the DVC link but it will still go through active.com you don't need to add a credit card yet if you don't want you can enter that info on registration day if you want. Which 5k are you interested in? The one in April is for Star Wars. That registration isn't open yet that's why it's not listed. This years 5k is already sold out.

I want to register for WDW Marathon 5K in January 2017. I don't see it listed on active.com but early reg is April 19 and regular reg is April 26, 2016. Maybe it's just too early yet?

I want to register for WDW Marathon 5K in January 2017. I don't see it listed on active.com but early reg is April 19 and regular reg is April 26, 2016. Maybe it's just too early yet?
It is too early it will show up eventually don't worry

In my experience, Active.com searches often have not returned results for Disney races. That wouldn't concern me.

What you'll do is login to DVC on April 19 at say 11:55. Keep refreshing the runDisney special offer page I pointed you to earlier, until you see a link pop up saying you can register. Follow that, login to your active.com account, which will pre-fill a bunch of your info, saving time. Whether you add a credit card is your call, I don't, but I put the number in a document I can quickly copy and paste from to save typing that. There are some additional questions specific to the race you'll need to answer, and keep finishing each page (2 or 3 total) to complete the registration process. Then go back to the DVC link, and follow it again but this time log your husband in and repeat your process. Keep in mind, yes it is stressful, especially the first time, since you don't know what to expect and you know there is a time crunch. But, at the same time, it won't sell out so fast you don't have a chance. Just work quickly but carefully making sure you fill out every form completely so you don't waste time reloading pages with missing info. If you are on right at 12, I really can't imagine you will have trouble. Also, you'll be doing presale for DVC. If somehow you get yourself registered, and not your husband, you can always get on right at 12 on the regular registration day (April 26) and register him then.

If you are really worried, you could look at the website and follow the process (but not submit the forms!) for a race that registers sooner. The Disneyland Half weekend, the Wine and Dine Weekend, and the Avengers Weekend races all will register before WDW Marathon weekend. You wouldn't have to do it at noon, the links should be up in such a way you could follow them the evening early registration opens, even if its for a race you were not interested in, or even commemorative items. The process is the same for everything. Just make sure you close out of the process without actually submitting a registration. It would just be so you know you have an understanding of the process, so you take some of the unknown out of it for you on the actual registration day.

In my experience, Active.com searches often have not returned results for Disney races. That wouldn't concern me.

What you'll do is login to DVC on April 19 at say 11:55. Keep refreshing the runDisney special offer page I pointed you to earlier, until you see a link pop up saying you can register. Follow that, login to your active.com account, which will pre-fill a bunch of your info, saving time. Whether you add a credit card is your call, I don't, but I put the number in a document I can quickly copy and paste from to save typing that. There are some additional questions specific to the race you'll need to answer, and keep finishing each page (2 or 3 total) to complete the registration process. Then go back to the DVC link, and follow it again but this time log your husband in and repeat your process. Keep in mind, yes it is stressful, especially the first time, since you don't know what to expect and you know there is a time crunch. But, at the same time, it won't sell out so fast you don't have a chance. Just work quickly but carefully making sure you fill out every form completely so you don't waste time reloading pages with missing info. If you are on right at 12, I really can't imagine you will have trouble. Also, you'll be doing presale for DVC. If somehow you get yourself registered, and not your husband, you can always get on right at 12 on the regular registration day (April 26) and register him then.

If you are really worried, you could look at the website and follow the process (but not submit the forms!) for a race that registers sooner. The Disneyland Half weekend, the Wine and Dine Weekend, and the Avengers Weekend races all will register before WDW Marathon weekend. You wouldn't have to do it at noon, the links should be up in such a way you could follow them the evening early registration opens, even if its for a race you were not interested in, or even commemorative items. The process is the same for everything. Just make sure you close out of the process without actually submitting a registration. It would just be so you know you have an understanding of the process, so you take some of the unknown out of it for you on the actual registration day.
Thank you!! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again for your patience and helpful advice!

Why do we need to register with active.com? Does going through the DVC link take you to active.com? I will be at work so I'll have to be on break then and do it from work. I will be bummed if I get in but not the hubby bill have to register us both :(

We get an account with active.com because that's who Disney goes through. We go to Disney (in our case DVC, finding the spot where they have the registration link, and they likely won't have that up ahead of time, so when the time comes, join the correct event weekend thread here b/c it will be discussed), we click through, and you have to sign into the active.com account. So you want those accounts created ahead of time, because it takes time to do them as you are registering (like I did for DH for the SW 5K).

It's total crazy-talk, but if there's any chance of a day off on registration day, I'd take it.

And of course with the DVC registration, if you get just one of you in, you do have another shot at getting the other one in, once general registration opens.

i'm going with a friend. I am a dvc member. can he register with me since staying at the resort with me or it is only for actual dvc members to sign up early. I'm sure I know the answer lol

Can someone who's an Associate DVC Member register take advantage of early registration?

My wife played "Put Up or Shut Up" this year and registered me for the 5K through CIGNA. So I'm stuck. :)

I've been training all summer for this, but unfortunately I developed hip inflammation in August (just as I hit 20 minutes on C25K!), and that sidelined me until I got it under control in November. I'm working my way back up to 30+ minutes, but I've already decided that I'll give it my best shot and if I can go 20-25 minutes at a run I'll consider it a success.

My daughter, who worked at Disney under the DCP, gets frustrated with me because "Dad, no one says you have to run the entire thing!" My reply is "They don't call it a 5K walk, do they?"

I'm alternating between terror and anticipation right now. I should be a complete basket case by January.

My wife played "Put Up or Shut Up" this year and registered me for the 5K through CIGNA. So I'm stuck. :)

I've been training all summer for this, but unfortunately I developed hip inflammation in August (just as I hit 20 minutes on C25K!), and that sidelined me until I got it under control in November. I'm working my way back up to 30+ minutes, but I've already decided that I'll give it my best shot and if I can go 20-25 minutes at a run I'll consider it a success.

My daughter, who worked at Disney under the DCP, gets frustrated with me because "Dad, no one says you have to run the entire thing!" My reply is "They don't call it a 5K walk, do they?"

I'm alternating between terror and anticipation right now. I should be a complete basket case by January.

Good luck with getting as much training under your belt as you can between now and Marathon Weekend! Don't be too quick to dismiss walking, fully or partially, as a viable option though. There are entire running philosophies set up around alternating run and walk intervals (Galloway) and even full running gurus like Higdon advocate some walking as a valid strategy to complete a race distance. There will be a huge variety of approached to the distance on display at the WDW 5K. You'll see people walk the whole thing, run/walk (very popular especially since runDisney advocates it) and of course, fully run it. The biggest thing is to approach it in a way where you can complete the distance and have fun doing it without hurting yourself! Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!