7 month availability getting more difficult

luckyman_apd

DIS Veteran
Am I mistaken that finding availability at 7 months getting more difficult? I've always understood it's a hit or miss with 11 month home resort priority, but I've noticed that even SSR and OKW are no longer "guaranteed" to be open. I say that not because anything was ever guaranteed....but it was very likely they were available just because of the sheer size of the resorts. Maybe we have just picked times that are more popular, but our last few times availability showed the day before there were openings, and at 8 am, the first night disappears.

This is not a complaint, more of an observation. I remember before purchasing being told on here buy where you want to stay......and that seems to be more and more evident as time goes on. Personally I feel that where I want to stay has changed over the years......even though my wife's has not :P

I've certainly noticed it being more difficult to get things in the October - December range. Other than the normal expected busy dates, you can still usually get OKW, SSR, or AKL at 7 months the rest of the year.

If this continues, I'd expect a point adjustment at some time to try and even things out.

There are certain times I use the 11 month window and there are times I use 7 months. I own 3 homes, so while I use BLT and Bwv points at 11 months, but use my SSR points for 7 month windows, usually may or early June and sometimes early February.

It has to become more difficult, DVD is adding thousands of buyers to the system. Many will be wanting to book at 7 months.

:earsboy: Bill
Bill that occured to me.... but at the same time....adding thousands of buyers also opens that many more possiblities of places to stay. Its not disproportionate as they only ad buyers as they ad points rooms for them to stay.

I'm more inclined to think that the times we look to book have just become more popular times for dvc members to book. Lile the October to December time (although early December required 11 month booking even when we first purchased.) October for sure has spiked in park attendance over the last 2-3 years for sure and if you can do the math October is what I was most recently looking at (7 months from now). It's certainly not out of the question to see points reallocations if the trends continue. But I'm certainly not hinting that's inevitable. Just observations.

In the beginning we had a "travel plan" when we purchased.....only to shortly find we could get cheap airfare on Spirit (like laughably cheap) and our plans changed. No longer was everything a definite 11 month plan. We are flexible by nature people and we've just noticed the 7 month availability has really changed (although i was shocked by amount of summer 7 month and even less that's usually available) i know schools are out and but with the heat.... I've always been surprised other times of year are cheaper points wise given the 7 month demand is higher. My understanding was points use was revolved around a sort of DVC supply/demand situation. The demand for early December is sky high yet points use is rock bottom.....so I guess that assumption is wrong

Bill that occured to me.... but at the same time....adding thousands of buyers also opens that many more possiblities of places to stay. Its not disproportionate as they only ad buyers as they ad points rooms for them to stay.

You are not wrong, however, let's take BCV as an example. As new resorts open, there are more people looking to stay at BCV at 7 months. If there is not a corresponding increase of BCV owners looking to try the new resort (or any other resort) at 7 months, well, you can see where this is going...

The more popular resorts will get even more popular as points are added to the system.

People buy not knowing what they are buying. Many bought at a resort because that is what DVD was selling or they bought resale not knowing which resort they really would end up liking. Some bought SSR or OKW due to price, many will report that they have never stayed there. Most of these people will end up fighting at 7 months to book a room somewhere else. Also the total points sold at a resort includes expensive rooms like bungalows, cabins, and grand villas, if those rooms are not booked every day of the year, the resort was oversold and people who bought points there will have to use their points somewhere else once the other rooms there are booked. Also many bought to stay in studios, there are only XX amount at their resort so they will be looking at other resorts at 7 months.

True. If many of the points sold of a resort are used by people wanting studios, and the bungalows are outrageously point priced (like Poly) that does put immense extra demand on studios at 7 months. I'd love to know the disproportionate number of points sold at poly that are never used for those bungalows.

People buy not knowing what they are buying. Many bought at a resort because that is what DVD was selling or they bought resale not knowing which resort they really would end up liking. Some bought SSR or OKW due to price, many will report that they have never stayed there. Most of these people will end up fighting at 7 months to book a room somewhere else. Also the total points sold at a resort includes expensive rooms like bungalows, cabins, and grand villas, if those rooms are not booked every day of the year, the resort was oversold and people who bought points there will have to use their points somewhere else once the other rooms there are booked. Also many bought to stay in studios, there are only XX amount at their resort so they will be looking at other resorts at 7 months.

I agree, when I bought in, I thought I understood, but I didn’t. My guide pretty much pushed SSR on us. After my first trip I realized I should’ve bought elsewhere, Bwv, so I added on (5 times), then BLT. I use my SSR points for easier times and it works out right now.

Nope - you are dead on.... MANY so-called owners rent. 7 months is becoming a myth. MANY folks buy DVC as a money grubbing 2nd hand rental.

PLEASE buy where you wish to STAY. Ignore 7 month bookings.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Personally I think it's a factor of things.

1) People who bought smaller contracts at Grand Floridian and the fight over studios there - if/when they can't get a studio, they are having to go elsewhere and fighting it out at the 7month mark (we own at VGF so not criticizing or accusing all VGF owners of this, but take a look at the VGF studio availability for the next 11 months - it's barren as for those rooms you need to be on the nose at the 11 month mark pretty much. Luckily we aim for 1 or 2 BR so we have better luck usually)

2) The massive amount of points sold at SSR and AKV and those owners looking to try elsewhere at 7 months (we own at AKV and it's our favorite resort so not knocking it, but if we are going to try to use points to try at a non-home resort, we use our AKV points vs.VGF points due to reasons cited above)

3) The points sold for Poly bungalows that won't be used for them and people not getting into those studios despite the home resort advantage - so must go elsewhere (see the studio situation there - it's a similar situation to the VGF situation

4) Aulani points are probably coming into the mix as well as while sales may not be brisk, they are still occurring and likely not always used at Aulani

5) I think it will get worse when the new Wilderness Lodge Cabin points have the same effect as the Bungalow points

6) The pricing of VGF, Poly and CCV lead to people buying contracts "just enough" for a studio further exacerbation points #1, 3 and 5

Just my two cents.

We are studio VGF owners. Yes, it is challenging!!

Regardingyour #4, I have used points at Aulani, and lots of folks have booked it at 7 months like us. We’ve used over 2000 for our 3 trips there. Obviously not VGF points, but BCV, BWV and others were used!

We are studio VGF owners. Yes, it is challenging!!

Regardingyour #4, I have used points at Aulani, and lots of folks have booked it at 7 months like us. We’ve used over 2000 for our 3 trips there. Obviously not VGF points, but BCV, BWV and others were used!

Regarding Aulani, I understand part of the relative ease to get it at 7 months is due to it not being sold out. Another factor however is my suspicion is that at least some Aulani points that have sold aren't being used there consistently and being used elsewhere.....say.....WDW

People buy not knowing what they are buying. Many bought at a resort because that is what DVD was selling or they bought resale not knowing which resort they really would end up liking.

We have been going to Disney every year since my DD was 5. Every year, but one, we stayed at the GF RPC. My husband always said that the only way he would buy into DVC was if they built one at the Grand. We were not interested in staying anywhere else. Sure enough, in 2014 he came prepared and didn’t blink...We love VGF and look forward to coming every year. We bought enough points as to not worry if we want to stay in a one bedroom villa for the four of us.

I was quite pleased to secure I 5 night stay 1 BR @ Boardwalk for this june...booked in march....3 months

We bought at BWV in 2000........250pts.... yrs later we bought another 50pts...........in Feb of this year....even before our points were into the account which would be on April..1st.....i borrowed enough points to stay in Jan . 17-24th ...2019 in a SV 1 BR at BWV...we are retired 10yrs and like to go often......
sometimes if you stalk the RA you can find something last minute

There’s been a seasonal shift in demand. I’m going June 29 to July 4. At 7 months, A Poly standard studio was available, as well as all 3 views at Boardwalk. Unusual around a holiday.

Renting of DVC has done a number on DVC availability. There are at least 3 main rental sites that are continually looking for member points as the secret of renting DVC is no more. This is a main leading reason that DVC availability is gone, even at 7 months.

I am more inclined to believe it is the increased demand for studios and the fact that those cabins and bungalows are huge point sinks that most owners can not afford.

Most renters don't know too book at 7 months.

1. Much more noticeable in studios than 1 beds.
2. Increase in price and points required per night has priced many new buyers out of 1 beds.
3. Thus increased proportion jostling for studios at 7 months.
4. A point sold at Grand Floridian has much less buying power there than at say Boardwalk= Disproportionate demand for older desirable locations.
5. Hawaii, many will go once or twice, but all other stays at WDW.
6. Bungalows.

Things will only get worse for studios. People will buy in at Riviera, which will be sold as super luxury resort with prices and points requirements on a par with VGF. Many will look for the cheapest options to spend those points they've struggled financially as it is, to acquire.

SSR gets a lot of blame, but it is only a small amount of the picture because at busy times, people cannot get a studio anywhere 3-4 months out. However there's often plenty of 1 bed choice, even in desirable but expensive points per night resorts.

DVC was originally marketed as a home away from home, with multi bedroom suite and kitchens.

It's increasingly becoming just a prepaid hotel room due to price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter