70-200mm f2.8 or f4?

Disneylover1970

Mouseketeer
ive been looking at a 70-200mm for my Nikon D7500. The Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 is out of my budget but the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 G2 or Nikon 70-200mm f4 is what I would be looking at to purchase. Question is the Tamron sharp, I’ve read some have focus issues and with the Nikon f4, is an f4 going to be fast enough for dark rides, fireworks, some reviews say this is just as good as the Nikon f2.8, plus it’s lighter and 1/2 the cost. I shoot landscapes. Pets, squirrels, city scapes, vacation, no portraits. Thank you

Have you seen both lenses in person and picked them up? I went through the same decision process with the Canon versions. I really wanted the 2.8. Still do. But after renting the 2.8 for a graduation I decided it was too heavy and that would affect my desire to take it out very often. I opted for the cheaper lighter f/4 Canon version. It was the right choice for me. I don't hesitate to throw it in my bag like I'm sure I would with the 2.8.

That said, there are many occasions where I still wish I had the 2.8 for shallower depth of field.

It's not fast enough for dark rides, even at f/4. I have occasionally gotten by with an f/4 mid-range zoom (24-105) at very high ISO on my Canon 6D. But I can't imagine I'd do as well with an f/4 zoom.

Sorry but can't help on the Tamron info. I went with the Canon version (which is really good).

Last edited:
ive been looking at a 70-200mm for my Nikon D7500. The Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 is out of my budget but the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 G2 or Nikon 70-200mm f4 is what I would be looking at to purchase. Question is the Tamron sharp, I’ve read some have focus issues and with the Nikon f4, is an f4 going to be fast enough for dark rides, fireworks, some reviews say this is just as good as the Nikon f2.8, plus it’s lighter and 1/2 the cost. I shoot landscapes. Pets, squirrels, city scapes, vacation, no portraits. Thank you

I had the 70-200/4, it's a very sharp lens. Both lenses will be very sharp, that shouldn't be your deciding factor.
It's F2.8 vs weight. The Tamron will be much heavier than the Nikon 70-200/4.... so is the 2.8 aperture worth the extra weight. Almost double the weight.

Aperture makes no difference for fireworks..... And it won't affect your daytime landscapes, daytime wildlife.

F4 is too slow for dark rides on the D7500. But both lenses are really too long for dark rides anyway.

Thank you. I appreciate the advice and information. I know the Nikon 2.8 is way out of the budget. I think the Nikon f4 will probably be what will work for me.

I have the Tameron 70-200 f2.8 which I use mainly for competition cheer in poorly lit high school gyms and sideline cheer. I wouldn't care to drag it around the Disney parks do to its weight and length, but it is very sharp. Here a couple shots with it on a D750.

DEN_5560 by Dennis Dekoski, on Flickr

DEN_5747 by Dennis Dekoski, on Flickr

script>

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!