75 direct point add on, would you do it? Where? Any advice?

Guzak

Earning My Ears
I am a new DVC member and am looking for your opinions.

We just closed on our first small 150 point Boulder Ridge resale contract. Our 3 kids are young and at some point, we know we will grow out of studios, requiring us to purchase more points. If I know I am going to add to my current contact at some point, should I add 75 direct now to get member benefits throughout our member experience?

Are the annual pass discounts/member perks enough to make up the difference of 75 direct vs adding on 75 or more points later through resale?

If I buy direct, should I consider Vero (we do love adding a day or two at the beach) with the same 2042 end date as Boulder Ridge currently offered at $100/pt or wait to see the new Riviera price for the 75 points (which I am guessing will likely be double the Vero price) in order to have member benefits longer?

The reason I keep going back and forth is that I expect we will use up the Boulder Ridge contact (our youngest is 2) and am not counting on getting anything back from it in regards to resale. We will be early 60's at that time. Should I consider direct buy at Riviera instead of an shorter contract at Vero (or elsewhere) so that there is both resale potential and the ability to continue having direct member benefits beyond Boulder Ridge?

Or, do I just forget buying direct all together if member benefits are not worth the extra cost?

I feel like I have a good handle on the pros and cons of each scenario, but am looking for opinions on what experienced DVC owners would recommend others do. So much to consider!

The "direct benefits" don't amount to much unless you can take advantage of the annual pass savings. In addition, none of those direct benefits are guaranteed to last forever. If you do the math, it would take you at least five years to recoup the cost differential between resale and retail only counting the savings on an annual pass. It's anyone's guess whether that benefit will continue.

I assume with a 150 point contract at BRV, you're staying in a studio. BRV studios sleep 5. BRV 1 bedrooms sleep 4. Your next step up is likely a 2 bedroom unit when your youngest gets to be 4 or 5. You'll need 175-200 more points then for the same length stay. But, you DO NOT need them now. You'll be paying maintenance fees during that period on the extra points.

If I was you, I'd start looking for another 150 or 200 point contract in a few years, and not buy the 75 direct today.

:welcome:

To the Disboards and Welcome Home!

150 is not exactly a small contract, and we bought in while in our late 50’s, and as you mention your age, I admit we have enjoyed these later years using our DVC so very much, I would hate to think we would be done. So, I would wait for Rivera, or buy at CC.

If you decide to buy anything, consider the maintenance fees as part of your purchase decision. While VB resales are cheap, the difference in maintenance fees between that and SSR are significant. You'll eat up any initial purchase savings between the two in a few short years just in the maintenance fee difference.

Also, I wanted to throw into your thought process that when your children get into college (or perhaps even high school) you'll unlikely be taking family trips together. So, plan on using DVC points for your family trips for 15 years, and then trips for you and your spouse after that.

I also agree that unless you know you'll do the annual passes regularly then direct is not worth it. The price difference even allows you to do AP's a few times without the discount before you get close to earning it back so it's not that your 100% still not saving even if you buy AP's a couple of times. And then it depends on when you go - would the Gold AP work or do you go during a blackout season? And will you schedule more than 1 trip in within a year of each other? A 10 day park hopper still costs less than any AP so unless you'll have multiple trips it doesn't pay to get the AP. When you could add 25 points and get the benefits that was one thing. 75 points? It's a lot harder to justify economically.

At 25 points many people could make a case for an add on, not least if you wanted a small top up anyway.

At 75, buying direct for non contractual benefits which may go away at any time, makes it more difficult to justify, even if buying APs.

Unless you are buying APs (in the hope that discount continues long enough to recoup) I'd find it almost impossible to justify.

I feel the same way as you. As much as I would like to be a “full” member I just feel 75 is just too high. 50 would have been doable but I’m feeling the greed jumping in. That being said I keep trying to justify it and flip back and forth as to buy another resale or a small direct ( seeing as direct is much easier and quicker) but in the long run is it worth that too.

I was going to buy a second 50 point contract direct after our recent resale purchase... but now with the 75 point threshold, it just doesn't make any sense to get mediocre benefits.

I actually needed 25 more points and given there was virtually no difference in price for a 25 pointer due to high resale prices and higher closing, the 25 pointer was a no brainer before the changes.
If I had faced today's situation, I would probably have gone for a 50 resale instead.

Whatever you do, whenever you decide to do it, know that if you get your points at a different resort you can't use those points at the 11 month booking window for your other home resort. So you'll need to be prepared to do split stays or live and die by the waitlist.

We just closed on our first small 150 point Boulder Ridge resale contract. Our 3 kids are young and at some point, we know we will grow out of studios, requiring us to purchase more points. If I know I am going to add to my current contact at some point, should I add 75 direct now to get member benefits throughout our member experience?
I seem to have a different view than those above. I lean toward yes, buy 75 direct. Owning DVC is a lifestyle -- it's not just prepaying for some rooms. You'll talk to your friends who own DVC, you'll discuss the options, the discounts, the random one-off moonlight magic, etc. Without being a qualifying owner, you get none of this. Keep in mind I don't justify DVC as a savings... rather, a luxury purchase. I'm not trying to get the lowest possible cost, just enjoy some new fun options. So it depends how you look at it.
Are the annual pass discounts/member perks enough to make up the difference of 75 direct vs adding on 75 or more points later through resale?
Probably not, but at $200/pass our family of 6 "saved" $1200 last year. But, we never bought a Disney AP before we had the DVC discount, so the discount didn't really save us anything, it actually encouraged us to buy something we otherwise wouldn't have. More money spent. But also more vacations and more fun.
If I buy direct, should I consider Vero or wait to see the new Riviera price to have member benefits longer?
Personally? I would wait for Riviera. Location, location, location. We also have 0 interest in Vero.
Should I consider direct buy at Riviera so that there is both resale potential and the ability to continue having direct member benefits beyond Boulder Ridge?
You're thinking 30-40 years out and who knows what life will bring then. That's way too far off to be thinking about reselling your Riviera or have the potential to do so affect how you vacation for the bulk of your life.
Or, do I just forget buying direct all together if member benefits are not worth the extra cost?
I think they're worth it. Not in terms of a cash return, but I wouldn't enjoy my ownership as much if I had to look at every promotional mail or whatever perk they're running that year have to go -- no, no, not that either -- we just have points. It would not be a fulfilling ownership for me.

Last edited:
As a new member, I would wait and see that you enjoy it as much as you think. Most of us do, but some fine it isn't what they expected. As far as purchasing more points, there are several things to consider. I understand wanting the "perks" that go along with a direct purchase. However, those can be modified or removed at any time. Will it happen? Anyones guess. For the difference in cost between resale and direct, are the perks wirth it? Only you can decide that.

If you don't really need more points now, we are overdue to a major stock market 'correction' which will bring resale prices down 20-25%, JMHO.
So wait a year to 2 and save some money.

If you don't really need more points now, we are overdue to a major stock market 'correction' which will bring resale prices down 20-25%, JMHO.
So wait a year to 2 and save some money.

It's unlikely DVD will lower the direct pricing, though. The VB drop was a one-off, probably due to being off property and the hurricane assessments and high MFs. If OP wants to buy 75 points to qualify for member extras, it probably won't get cheaper than it is now!

IMO there are only 2 ways to make a reasonable case for retail add ons currently. Either for a resort that's not available more cheaply that one decides is worth the extra like VGF/VGC etc or where one can get a BUNCH of passes that make sense and save money.

I am a new DVC member also. Fortunately our timing worked out for a 25 point add on. But honestly, even at 75 points I probably would have done it. I doubt I will ever accumulate enough financial benefit to ever offset that 25 point add-on from the membership extras, nevertheless a 75 point add-on. However, for me, it was a psychological rather than financial decision. I think it would have just needled me every time i walked by the member lounge in epcot or saw an advertisement for the moonlight magic dates. Yes, I know that is what DVC is trying to accomplish, but with me their tactics worked.

As for where.... I definitely wouldn't buy your direct points at a 2042 resort. I love the boardwalk, but just couldn't justify the short time horizon. My resale and direct are both at polynesian. I feel like if I ever got tired of that resort or outgrew studios I could always sell my resale, buy resale somewhere else, and be able to keep my member benefits tied to the small direct contract.

I am a new DVC member also. Fortunately our timing worked out for a 25 point add on. But honestly, even at 75 points I probably would have done it. I doubt I will ever accumulate enough financial benefit to ever offset that 25 point add-on from the membership extras, nevertheless a 75 point add-on. However, for me, it was a psychological rather than financial decision. I think it would have just needled me every time i walked by the member lounge in epcot or saw an advertisement for the moonlight magic dates. Yes, I know that is what DVC is trying to accomplish, but with me their tactics worked.

As for where.... I definitely wouldn't buy your direct points at a 2042 resort. I love the boardwalk, but just couldn't justify the short time horizon. My resale and direct are both at polynesian. I feel like if I ever got tired of that resort or outgrew studios I could always sell my resale, buy resale somewhere else, and be able to keep my member benefits tied to the small direct contract.
And that's what DVD is counting on, that people will buy even when it doesn't make financial sense. It's a timeshare, not an exclusive club.

And that's what DVD is counting on, that people will buy even when it doesn't make financial sense. It's a timeshare, not an exclusive club.

That's why Disney is such a big money company. They know how to wrap up your own happy emotions and sell them to you at a premium.

75 points is actually enough to book a short stay every year. I would only add on 75 points if you felt like you needed it for some reason, and at a resort you liked. And direct only if you really liked the resort. This is now making me think that I should just wait and see if I think Riviera is awesome and consider 75 points there for split stays with my MK resorts, instead of mooning about BCV/BWV.

That's why Disney is such a big money company. They know how to wrap up your own happy emotions and sell them to you at a premium.
Exactly, I've actually seen someone post they were willing to pay more just to be a member of the club.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter