9/16/2017 Magic Transatlantic from Barcelona

I just had a SQUEEE/panic moment. When I first booked this cruise last summer, "2017" sounded so far-off and exotic. The Future!! Forever-long away!!

Now, "2017" sounds prosaic and "2016" sounds old. I just realized that the school year is ending, and the cruise is right after July and August. :scared: WAAAAAAH! I'm not ready! LOL

And I'm starting to have the approach/withdrawal feeling of not wanting the anticipation to end.

I know what you mean about the timing. I'm excited for our cruise to come, but I don't want to wish away my summer, either!

On a different note, if I weren't herding my family of 6 home after the cruise, I would LOVE to show you a bit of New York, Gismo :) I'm tempted to let them go off home without me while I play tour guide. :D

Same here. If we weren't going back to work the next day, I would have offered to hang out in the city.

You are both far too kind! My plan is to plan my day and make sure I know the routes I'm taking so I wont get lost :D If however either of you have recommendations on great places to visit let me know and I can add them to my list. At the moment I keep adding and taking places off each day as I can't make decisions.

Hi everybody!
We are an Argentinean family: me, my husband, our son (15) and two daughters (14 and 12). This will be our fifth Disney cruise. We've participated in FE on all our cruises, and we had a great experience!! Our stateroom is 8518 and our surname is Larghi.

Looking forward to this cruise!!!

Welcome!

I know what you mean about the timing. I'm excited for our cruise to come, but I don't want to wish away my summer, either!

Its weird but this cruise has been booked for so long now I feel a bit sad that it will be over in less than 90 days. Its been fun planning but now its almost here its that in between excitement and fear stage.

Just an update from the dreaded place

Looked like one formal night and one semi plus pirate night but no Frozen night.

Looked like one formal night and one semi plus pirate night but no Frozen night.

That's too bad for me. I enjoyed the Frozen night 2 years ago on our Baltics cruise far more than Pirate night. Even my husband said he liked it, and he's never seen the movie.

Its weird but this cruise has been booked for so long now I feel a bit sad that it will be over in less than 90 days. Its been fun planning but now its almost here its that in between excitement and fear stage.

Exactly this!

What sorts of things to you like to do for fun? Eating? Shopping? Museums? Wandering interesting neighborhoods? The main reason I ask is that the one excursion I saw on the DCL site was a visit to the Financial District and WTC memorial -- which would definitely not be my cup of tea.

Do you like walking?

A lot of NYC has changed since I worked there in the '80s/'90s and hung out there in the '70s. I would avoid spending too much time in Times Square. Great for a quick photo opp, but then hustle out of there. SOHO is not what it used to be (more upscale stores from what I hear). Wander around in Little Italy and Chinatown.

I have not been here, but I hear the Chelsea Market is nice. If you're in a hurry or are going from, as an example, Central Park to Battery Park, use the subway. If you're not and can manage with your vision concerns, use your feet. I love the American Museum of Natural History and have to make a point of going again.

If you're spending the night, like comedy, and don't want to spend a fortune, check to see who will be at Caroline's. Don't eat dinner there. The area around Bryant Park (behind the NY Public Library) has changed for the better, and it's a nice place to sit and people watch if the weather is nice.

That's too bad for me. I enjoyed the Frozen night 2 years ago on our Baltics cruise far more than Pirate night. Even my husband said he liked it, and he's never seen the movie.

Same here I liked it! It was cheesy but fun. Will still be bringing my tshirt for it just in case

Exactly this!

What sorts of things to you like to do for fun? Eating? Shopping? Museums? Wandering interesting neighborhoods? The main reason I ask is that the one excursion I saw on the DCL site was a visit to the Financial District and WTC memorial -- which would definitely not be my cup of tea.

Do you like walking?

Don't mind walking. Definitely not into the financial district stuff lol. I like food and I like museums and zoos (Central Park zoo is on my list lol)

A lot of NYC has changed since I worked there in the '80s/'90s and hung out there in the '70s. I would avoid spending too much time in Times Square. Great for a quick photo opp, but then hustle out of there. SOHO is not what it used to be (more upscale stores from what I hear). Wander around in Little Italy and Chinatown.

I have not been here, but I hear the Chelsea Market is nice. If you're in a hurry or are going from, as an example, Central Park to Battery Park, use the subway. If you're not and can manage with your vision concerns, use your feet. I love the American Museum of Natural History and have to make a point of going again.

If you're spending the night, like comedy, and don't want to spend a fortune, check to see who will be at Caroline's. Don't eat dinner there. The area around Bryant Park (behind the NY Public Library) has changed for the better, and it's a nice place to sit and people watch if the weather is nice.

Thanks! Some great tips I have already put on my planner here! Thanks so much! Loving how helpful you guys are!

Don't mind walking. Definitely not into the financial district stuff lol. I like food and I like museums and zoos (Central Park zoo is on my list lol)

I will strongly second the vote to avoid Times Square. It *sounds* like a great idea, but, if you're not going to a show, it isn't all that. It went from gritty and crowded but useful to a grungy, crowded, tourist-trappy outdoor mall. No redeeming qualities as far as I can see other than to say, "I've been in Times Square."

One of my favorite "New York Flavor" itineraries is to start at the Public Library on 5th Avenue and 42nd Street, then walk up 5th Avenue. You'll pass Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral, and get a good feel for Midtown Manhattan. That route will lead you up to the southeast corner of Central Park and the Central Park Zoo. Depending on how long you spend there, you can easily extend your wander up the east side of Central Park to the Metropolitan Museum. The museum has a suggested entrance fee, but it is a donation, and we regularly give what we can afford/feel appropriate for how long we can be there. When I was 13 my best friend and I would take the subway into the city and pay 50 cents each to lose ourselves in the museum. It's a GREAT place to explore.

:) So excited for you

I will strongly second the vote to avoid Times Square. It *sounds* like a great idea, but, if you're not going to a show, it isn't all that. It went from gritty and crowded but useful to a grungy, crowded, tourist-trappy outdoor mall. No redeeming qualities as far as I can see other than to say, "I've been in Times Square."

One of my favorite "New York Flavor" itineraries is to start at the Public Library on 5th Avenue and 42nd Street, then walk up 5th Avenue. You'll pass Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral, and get a good feel for Midtown Manhattan. That route will lead you up to the southeast corner of Central Park and the Central Park Zoo. Depending on how long you spend there, you can easily extend your wander up the east side of Central Park to the Metropolitan Museum. The museum has a suggested entrance fee, but it is a donation, and we regularly give what we can afford/feel appropriate for how long we can be there. When I was 13 my best friend and I would take the subway into the city and pay 50 cents each to lose ourselves in the museum. It's a GREAT place to explore.

:) So excited for you

Oh thanks so much!

Not that anybody asked ( :blush: ) but here's a good NY activity for folks who have kids (or are kids at heart):

If your kids have read "From The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" (and if they haven't they should ;) ) - you can still access this "Museum Kids" issue, print it out - and use it as a Metropolitan Museum "scavenger hunt". My son really enjoyed the book - and he is looking forward to seeing some of the same things that the kids in the book did. I hope it's OK to post the link (I will try) - but if it isn't the above information should let you find it.

The link:

http://www.metmuseum.org/~/media/Fi...uides/MuseumKids/The Mixed Up Files Issue.pdf

I've been to NY many times, but this will be DS' first visit. So we're doing the Met one day and the SOL/Ellis Island another day. We have also requested a Big Apple Greeter - fingers crossed we get one!

Ooh, and Chelsea Market now has a Davidovich Bagels concession. Yum, yum, YUM. :-)

We were sad to read that there will not be a Frozen night. It seems to be confirmed on the Disney cruise line website on the list of deck parties link. We are really hoping that Disney will decide to keep it on the transatlantic since it is a longer cruise. We will bring our light up snowflakes just in case! :) Do you think it is too late to email feedback about Frozen night?
Adventures by Disney has added a three day tour of Barcelona and they have a weekend tour of New York. I am going to use some of the places they visit as a resource for planning our visit. We are arriving in Barcelona on the 12th to give us time to explore the city and to adjust to the time difference and we are staying in New York for four days after the cruise to explore the city and catch some shows and baseball games. Barcelona was my mom's favourite city in the world and New York is my favourite city. This was just such a win/win cruise for us!

Not that anybody asked ( :blush: ) but here's a good NY activity for folks who have kids (or are kids at heart):

If your kids have read "From The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" (and if they haven't they should ;) ) - you can still access this "Museum Kids" issue, print it out - and use it as a Metropolitan Museum "scavenger hunt". My son really enjoyed the book - and he is looking forward to seeing some of the same things that the kids in the book did. I hope it's OK to post the link (I will try) - but if it isn't the above information should let you find it.

Thank you for the post! I'm always looking for new ideas of places to explore and share with my daughter. I loved the book and now I'm going to reread it in preparation for our trip!

Do you think it is too late to email feedback about Frozen night?
Adventures by Disney has added a three day tour of Barcelona and they have a weekend tour of New York.

Never too late! I've already emailed them to say I think it should be on so you never know. On the 2015 WBTA the shore people and the website both said it wasn't on and it was so I'm still living in hope lol

Going to go nose at Adventures by Disney now for some more ideas!

I LOVE NYC. Another suggestion for eating places -- the train car at Bloomingdale's. It's on the roof and is a real train car and so fun.

How can I start a thread for the cruise on January 21 2018 from SanJuan ... please help....Disney 7 day cruise ...? Anyone ?

Go to the Cruise Meets section and start a new thread for your itinerary -- but check to be sure no one has already started one.

Hi everybody!
We are an Argentinean family: me, my husband, our son (15) and two daughters (14 and 12). This will be our fifth Disney cruise. We've participated in FE on all our cruises, and we had a great experience!! Our stateroom is 8518 and our surname is Larghi.

Looking forward to this cruise!!!

:welcome: So great to have you here. I will add your info to page one. Do you want to participate in the postcard exchange? Be sure to check out all the helpful info and tips on page one.

I LOVE NYC. Another suggestion for eating places -- the train car at Bloomingdale's. It's on the roof and is a real train car and so fun.
Since that sounded really interesting I looked it up for my wife and myself and unfortunately found out that it was closed December 28th 2016 and will reopen not until 2018 - too bad :-(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!