9A vs 9C on Disney Magic

tgarre06

DIS Veteran
Would you pay $550 more for a Deck 7 Forward OV on the Magic vs Deck 2 Forward OV on the Magic? That much of a difference? We've only sailed once before on DCL, and it was on the Dream on Deck 5 in a split family layout. TIA!

Would you pay $550 more for a Deck 7 Forward OV on the Magic vs Deck 2 Forward OV on the Magic? That much of a difference? We've only sailed once before on DCL, and it was on the Dream on Deck 5 in a split family layout. TIA!

No. I like deck 2 and being close to the ocean.

I’m curious, why is deck 2 better? We’re planning on ocean view next time but I really loved how central we were on deck 7 for our first cruise. Everywhere we wanted to go it was a couple flights up or down. It seems like deck 2 is really far from everything.

I’m curious, why is deck 2 better? We’re planning on ocean view next time but I really loved how central we were on deck 7 for our first cruise. Everywhere we wanted to go it was a couple flights up or down. It seems like deck 2 is really far from everything.
You're closer to everything on deck 3 and 4. It's easier to get an elevator. Closer getting off the ship. My favorite area is deck 2 by the aft elevators. I've booked an OGT rates a few times and have gotten a 9A. It's fine, but I wouldn't pay extra for it. If I'm going to pay extra I'll get a verandah. I think pp asked if deck 7 was worth 550.00 dollars over deck 2. In my opinion no. I prefer deck 2. It's kind of cool looking out the window and being so close to the ocean.

In my opinion, in no way is it worth an extra $550. In fact, I prefer deck 2 to deck 7 for most of the reasons listed above: closer to the water, super convenient to decks 3 and 4 (and deck 1 if you're disembarking there), any time you need to take an elevator up to an upper deck, it's pretty much empty and you don't have to wait for a second one to come around.

I've stayed on deck 6 and it was pretty convenient to the kid's club, but to get to decks 9 or 10, we pretty much took the elevator. I would feel similarly about deck 7. Maybe convenient to deck 9 and I would probably take the stairs, but to get to decks 3 and 4, you're pretty much looking at the elevator unless you're feeling really athletic.

You guys seem like pros! Anyone of these staterooms better than the others? TIA!

Attachments

• IMG_6760.PNG
    IMG_6760.PNG
    187.2 KB · Views: 18
We loved our deck 2 forward room! One flight up the stairs to all the action! And the forward elevators were never busy.

Whilst it seems a number of posters here post deck 2 is the best deck, its personal preference, and DCL sells all categories at all prices, typically higher categories and decks have higher prices, and cruisers, book these.- so there is a material benefit.

Basic rules of supply and demand are clearly the majority booking prefer higher decks.

In fact thoose saying deck 2 is perfect are doing themselves a disservice as if more people believe that, then deck 2 prices will increase and they will not be able to afford to cruise. If I wanted to book deck 2 I would say it's not so good to keep prices down.

I have had rooms on all decks, and elevator service is exactly the same on all decks, yes forward elevators overall are less used, bar post a WDT show. That's for all decks.

Deck 5 for example has easy access to Animators one deck down, WDT one deck down, and Cabanas just 4 direct up.
My current cruise higher decks basically sold out by Gold booking, but deck 2 has the greatest availability.

Note, in rough seas it depends on so many factors, ship direction, wind direction, current in the sea, if stabilisers are used. We had a serious storm and bad currents on an Iceland cruise, from Bergan to Akureyri, I had friends ( a number of rooms deck 2) who hated it, and did curse the advice given here, and say never ever again. They posted on our cruise meets threads that they hated it.
Carioca and Animators had say 25% people at dinner, and of thoose who were there, the sanitizer staff were used a lot.

But Cabanas was full!

In bad weather looking at the horizon and getting fresh air help. Lower decks being inside and next to vibrating engines and sea currents make it far worse. Forward and aft on all decks get more movement, hence DCL price structure.
You only know this when you hit a serious storm, the open oceans are the worst.

I am not sure what surveys thoose liking deck 2 have done on elevator traffic but I never had any issue on higher decks. Deck 2 canbe below bars where noise can go into the early hours.

Deck 7/8 are closer to the sun deck and interesting when a cruise are out of port, that typically is where the majority of cruisers want to be, on a higher deck.

I think TBH the posters here are very unrepresentative of actual booking preferences as ALL Categories sell, and if thoose on deck 2 were offered a free upgrade to a higher deck they wouldn't refuse it, it's only cruise budget that dictates choice.

Bar concierge all cruisers get the same food, same shows, same services, if you want one place to just sleep and change, any room will do. But to say deck 2 is better than any other deck, defies, logic, and the booking preferences of the majority of cruisers.

We have a 5 day booked next March and chose a secret porthole deluxe inside. I think it was the same or maybe even more than an OV in deck 2. My 13 year old uses the stairs and wanted to be more central to the Edge. She also found watching the water go by from so low down in made her dizzy. We have the Sept. TA booked and are now changed to a deck 7 midship inside. I am not sure I will be able to take not having natural light as we have had verandahs on our other two TAs. I booked later this time so the inside is about the same as my 5c last year. The 9a is 900.00 more in USD, and converting to CAD, almost 11 or 1200.00 difference. Can’t justify that however. I might be spending a lot of time on the open decks.

Whilst it seems a number of posters here post deck 2 is the best deck, its personal preference, and DCL sells all categories at all prices, typically higher categories and decks have higher prices, and cruisers, book these.- so there is a material benefit.

Basic rules of supply and demand are clearly the majority booking prefer higher decks.

In fact thoose saying deck 2 is perfect are doing themselves a disservice as if more people believe that, then deck 2 prices will increase and they will not be able to afford to cruise. If I wanted to book deck 2 I would say it's not so good to keep prices down.

I have had rooms on all decks, and elevator service is exactly the same on all decks, yes forward elevators overall are less used, bar post a WDT show. That's for all decks.

Deck 5 for example has easy access to Animators one deck down, WDT one deck down, and Cabanas just 4 direct up.
My current cruise higher decks basically sold out by Gold booking, but deck 2 has the greatest availability.

Note, in rough seas it depends on so many factors, ship direction, wind direction, current in the sea, if stabilisers are used. We had a serious storm and bad currents on an Iceland cruise, from Bergan to Akureyri, I had friends ( a number of rooms deck 2) who hated it, and did curse the advice given here, and say never ever again. They posted on our cruise meets threads that they hated it.
Carioca and Animators had say 25% people at dinner, and of thoose who were there, the sanitizer staff were used a lot.

But Cabanas was full!

In bad weather looking at the horizon and getting fresh air help. Lower decks being inside and next to vibrating engines and sea currents make it far worse. Forward and aft on all decks get more movement, hence DCL price structure.

I am not sure what surveys thoose liking deck 2 have done on elevator traffic but I never had any issue on higher decks. Deck 2 canbe below bars where noise can go into the early hours.

Deck 7/8 are closer to the sun deck and interesting when a cruise are out of port, that typically is where the majority of cruisers want to be, on a higher deck.

I think TBH the posters here are very unrepresentative of actual booking preferences as ALL Categories sell, and if thoose on deck 2 were offered a free upgrade to a higher deck they wouldn't refuse it, it's only cruise budget that dictates choice.

Bar concierge all cruisers get the same food, same shows, same services, if you want one place to just sleep and change, any room will do. But to say deck 2 is better than any other deck, defies, logic, and the booking preferences of the majority of cruisers.
It's standard pricing on all cruise lines to charge more for higher decks. The price goes up with the elevator ride. I'm not sure how much it has to with the upper decks being better. I think the point your missing is the fact that OP is asking if deck 7 is worth 550.00 dollars more than deck 2. Most of us that have stayed in 9A and 9C's or 9B's feel that its not worth the extra price. Cost being equal I guess it would depend on if you like being forward. Price being equal I would choose deck 2 because I don't like forward, and I like being closer to the ocean. If I was going to spend extra over deck two. I would book a cat 7a or 6b. It would not be worth it for me to go from an Ocean view on deck 2 to a ocean view on deck 7.

I think the point your missing is the fact that OP is asking if deck 7 is worth 550.00 dollars more than deck 2. Most of us that have stayed in 9A and 9C's or 9B's feel that its not worth the extra price.
Yep.

Last edited:
I have stayed inside, outside, verandas and extended verandas on many different decks. My preferences are inside or veranda independent of deck. More important is what is just above or below my storeroom - don't want a theater, bar or basketball court.

I do not think potholes are worth spending money on, I would rather sit on a chair looking out over the water then trying to look out a porthole. On short trips I Get an inside and on longer ones I Get an verandah stateroom. I might get an inside stateroom for a transatlantic to make it affordable.

I would refuse the upgrade. I prefer deck 2. And if the price goes up because I tout it's virtues, well, that's life. I actually prefer deck 2 and would pay MORE for deck 2 vs. deck 7.

I'd rather share my opinion and be honest and do right by my fellow cruisers here on the DIS. I'm not going to say I don't prefer it because I'm worried it will increase demand for deck 2. I can't imagine a small minority of people that like deck 2 is going to raise prices fleetwide across the hundreds of sailings DCL does every year.

I would refuse the upgrade. I prefer deck 2. And if the price goes up because I tout it's virtues, well, that's life. I actually prefer deck 2 and would pay MORE for deck 2 vs. deck 7.

I'd rather share my opinion and be honest and do right by my fellow cruisers here on the DIS. I'm not going to say I don't prefer it because I'm worried it will increase demand for deck 2. I can't imagine a small minority of people that like deck 2 is going to raise prices fleetwide across the hundreds of sailings DCL does every year.
My favorite stateroom was a cove verandah on Carnival. It's actually a verandah like a cat 7a on the classics except you're on deck 2 right on the water. I don't think any other cruiseline has verandahs on deck 2. I wish DCL would do this on the new ships, but I doubt they will.

But Cabanas was full!

I'm not sure the OP asked what the best deck was. They asked for an opinion on whether you would pay a significant amount of money more to stay on deck seven rather than deck two. The responses to that said that many posters didn't think that increase in cost was worth it.

I would agree that most people do book a higher deck. But, that's because most of the cabins are on higher decks.

Disney already charges a premium for their product. I don't think people expressing their views on a preferred deck on a message board is going to influence Disney's pricing structure.

We have had different experiences with the preference in rough seas. Last fall, out of New York City, we had some pretty rough water. My stateroom on midship deck 2 was very comfortable and I felt a little movement, despite the fact that the waves were so high that they were crashing on the porthole window. They were people traveling in one of the two bedroom concierge suites that were in our cruise group who expressed they were pretty uncomfortable for the first 36 hours of the cruise. When people are uncomfortable in the two aft MDRs, I think it's because they are aft, not because they're on low decks. Even though there were some people in our cruise group that had trouble with the rough seas, I do not remember anyone cursing the advice they had gotten on the DISboards. But I do appreciate the chuckle I got from your comment and thinking about all the people walking around on your cruise cursing the boards and the bad advice - "Darn those DISboards and the people who said deck 2 was good!"

My favorite stateroom was a cove verandah on Carnival. It's actually a verandah like a cat 7a on the classics except you're on deck 2 right on the water. I don't think any other cruiseline has verandahs on deck 2. I wish DCL would do this on the new ships, but I doubt they will.

We have considered doing a Carnival cruise, and thought that those Cove balconies looked really interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter