A Bash, a Benson, and a Banshee: A DIS 20th Event Solo Trip ** new Aug 2nd, 2017 - Complete! **

Part 14: Drink time and Na'vi River Ride
Thursday June 1st 12:05am - 1:15am

So, at this point it had passed midnight, meaning it was officially June 1st - meaning it was officially the 20th anniversary of the DIS - so, Happy Anniversary!!!

After finishing the ride several people wanted to get a drink and there were still a few things I hadn't tried of the Pandora unique drinks so figured I would get one as well. They had turned off the mobile ordering for the night so I had to go up to the counter at the Satu'li Canteen - but there was basically no line, so not really an issue.

I did notice the really cool tap handles they are using for the beer ....

01_Beer%20handle.jpg

... but I thought I would try the Dreamwalker Sangria - which is described as a "Refreshing White Sangria with a hint of Blue Curaçao" - I do enjoy a good sangria and hoping this would be the case here, but, um, it was terrible. It tasted like cheap sweet wine with some apple juice added and then a few grapes on top. I was light and cold so I could see it being a bit refreshing on a hot day .... but, yeah, I would pass on this one. Lesson learned: Never not get the beer.

02_Sangria.jpg

We then went over to see if the line for the Na'vi River Journey was still open - and it was, so we got in line.

*** Spoiler warning *** - upcoming are photos of the queue and actual river journey ride

So the queue for this ride is not nearly as cool as the one for Flight of Passage - I mean, compared to an average queue it was nice, but I guess everything is a let down after the one for FoP. They did have some nice artifacts on display and it did all feel fairly authentic

03_River%20Ride%20Line%20artifacts.jpg

We were in line only for about 20-25 mins - so really can't complain. Only issue was I hadn't finished my terrible drink so I had to down it - but then we got in line and got in our boats. These ride vehicles are really pretty neat - these very small boats. I still am puzzled why they went for boats this small that could not handle wheelchairs - meaning people that cannot transfer cannot ride either ride in Pandora ... but it does make for a more intimate experience while riding.

At this point I was trying to just take in the ride and also my battery was dying so not too many pictures. I will say the entire ride is beautiful and I really liked it. It is a bit short and I do wish the boats traveled a little slower so you had more time to take in the details. I have read a lot of reports of people that hate the ride and think there is no story, etc. But there is one there - it is that everyone (including us) are being drawn to the Shamen and her music - and you can see that as activity picks up and noise level increases as we get closer, etc. Just a lot of cool scenes, etc.

This is one of my favorite parts which are leaves that are above you and you can see lizard like animals moving on the top of them. The next picture is some of the cool animals arriving (a lot of this is screens, but they are integrated well). Then just some scenery

04_Animals%20on%20leaves.jpg
05_Animals.jpg
06_scenery.jpg

At this point my camera battery died, I tried to quickly get out my phone to get a photo of the Shamen, but only got a really bad one. As all reports have indicated the Shamen animatronic is absolutely incredible - so fluid and a lot of different movement with waving arms and playing drums, etc. - not just a few things repeated a lot.

07_Shamen.jpg

*** End of Spoilers ***

After the ride I was hanging out with a few people and @dina444444 offered a ride to myself and a few others back to Pop (she had actually already generously offered to drive people back after the DIS party so I was in her "carpool" for that but it was great to get a ride both nights - super helpful!). She was up for a stop in Windtraders first though as there was no line at this point. I was hoping to make time as I wanted to find a fun shirt for my wife, Judi, to wear for Zumba which she is very active with. While I wasn't interested in a Banshee puppet (as I would have to get one for each kid, and don't need 3) they did have a lot still in stock at this time, which I understand to be spotty currently. The store was pretty cool, but not huge. I did find a shirt that Judi liked and also a puzzle which she also loves and she was very happy with that surprise

08_Windtraders.jpg
09_roostery.jpg

It was about 12:50 at this point and we decided to head to Pop - getting to my room around 1:15am - after getting settled and stuff I was probably asleep by 2pm ... with the alarm set for 7am :scared:

TTFN

Last edited:
I'm with ya on NRJ. I wish it was a little slower or maybe had another scene to take it in.

I see a familiar head in one of your windtrader photos ;)

Glad you found some things for your wife. That was only our first late night for the DIS adventures!

And as an inaugural flatty, I am ENTIRELY grateful!!! :) :)

Aw, thanks Heidi - I do have to appologies for getting so wrapped up in Pandora that I neglected bringing flatty you out .... I promise you make a lot of appearances coming up though!

Love the update! I really enjoyed the queue and will definitely try and see it again but not until wait times are a bit lower or during EMH. I thought it was really cool we got to be the start of the EMH line.

I should've sent you the group photo of ours that is edited so you can see everyone's faces a bit better. It really was a great time with like minded people.

thanks Ryan! I agree - I mean, 40 mins in the queue with a group was great .... 3 hour or something probably is not so great. I think an hour or so is doable though

that would be great if you can send that photo. My camera, especially in low light, is not great (just a cheap point-and-shoot - and a 10 year old one at that). I agree, that it was really fun to meet up with so many DISers at Animal Kingdom - thanks again to @AMusicLifeForMe for all the organizing he did!

I'm with ya on NRJ. I wish it was a little slower or maybe had another scene to take it in.

I see a familiar head in one of your windtrader photos ;)

Glad you found some things for your wife. That was only our first late night for the DIS adventures!

yeah, another scene would be great, but even if they just slowed it down I think it would *feel* longer and give you more chance to take in the detail (plus, I figure easier for them to slow it down vs adding a scene ;))

I know! To this this is the same day I left from New York and got all that done, and still had the main event to come!

Sounds like an awesome time spent during EMH! It's great that you were able to get on both rides as well as do some shopping! Sorry the drink was disappointing, I enjoy a good sangria too- so I guess I know not to waste my time with that one!

Nice that you were able to get a ride back to Pop, I'm sure it felt good to skip the bus after such a long day!

Awesome installment! I'd seen that water bottle refill/fountain in other's videos/pics, and it IS really cool. I've also seen that "Utilidor" sign in other places too, and had the same thought, of the MK. Having been lucky enough to have seen the "real" ones, it always makes me smile at the good memories.

Another great update! I agree riding EE in the dark is amazing so fun. I'm glad they had extra evening hours for AK looks like so much fun. I love all the pictures of FOP queue ahh I can't wait till November :hyper:

I am obsessed with the Pandora Pictures! I cannot wait.. I'm getting excited! 74 days and counting....

Great TR so far! It almost feels like I was there...oh wait...I was!:D

I'm glad you got some great shots of the Pandora ride lines. I was too busy gawking at everything to take more than a few hurried photos that didn't turn out very well. Not too worried though as I see many rides of both in my future!

And I echo a big thanks to @AMusicLifeForMe for organizing all the unofficial events that he did! :worship:

Sounds like an awesome time spent during EMH! It's great that you were able to get on both rides as well as do some shopping! Sorry the drink was disappointing, I enjoy a good sangria too- so I guess I know not to waste my time with that one!

Nice that you were able to get a ride back to Pop, I'm sure it felt good to skip the bus after such a long day!

It was a bit nerve wracking going into the EMH just because things seemed to be changing each night how they were handling lines and stuff so it made it hard to plan - but my goal was to get on both rides and we did so really can't complain

It was definitely nice to skip the bus and just nice that it was offered! :disrocks:

Awesome installment! I'd seen that water bottle refill/fountain in other's videos/pics, and it IS really cool. I've also seen that "Utilidor" sign in other places too, and had the same thought, of the MK. Having been lucky enough to have seen the "real" ones, it always makes me smile at the good memories.

Thanks Heidi! I think it is great they added the water bottle fill stations - makes it a lot easier and it was in addition to the water fountain so multiple people could use it at the same time. Glad that picture brought you some good memories!

Another great update! I agree riding EE in the dark is amazing so fun. I'm glad they had extra evening hours for AK looks like so much fun. I love all the pictures of FOP queue ahh I can't wait till November :hyper:

Thank you! Fully agree that EE at night is great! Getting close! Enjoy your trip!

I am obsessed with the Pandora Pictures! I cannot wait.. I'm getting excited! 74 days and counting....

Thanks - and the pictures don't really do the land justice ... when you are there and those huge floating mountains are above you, it is pretty impressive! I hope those 74 days go quick for you!

Great TR so far! It almost feels like I was there...oh wait...I was!:D

I'm glad you got some great shots of the Pandora ride lines. I was too busy gawking at everything to take more than a few hurried photos that didn't turn out very well. Not too worried though as I see many rides of both in my future!

And I echo a big thanks to @AMusicLifeForMe for organizing all the unofficial events that he did! :worship:

:welcome: Thanks! Glad I could paint such a realistic picture ;)

The whole trip I was definitely trying to balance taking pictures but also taking time to take in everything - sometimes I can spend too much time taking pictures ... I think I did a better job than normal in this

Hey, just joining in on your magical TR. Love the photos... Shows what a magical time you had. Can't wait to read more about it. Kwaherini!

That's a shame your sangria wasn't good. I hate when that happens.

On the up side, how nice that you were able to score a ride back to Pop!

Yikes, I missed the start of this one, but I found it and got all caught up! :thumbsup2

Very cool that you were able to get away for a couple of days for the event. We were a tad disappointed to miss it, since we would be in Disneyland that week, but I guess if we were going to miss it, Disneyland is a pretty good reason! We had a blast at the 10th anniversary last time, so hopefully we will be able to make it for the next big event. They are so much fun!

I really enjoyed the Pandora updates, as I haven't seen (or sought out) much in the way of photos or reviews and have just mainly been getting feedback on it from podcasts. I'm sure it was nice to enjoy it for the first time sans-kids so you could do it at your own pace and see what you wanted to see. The Banshee magic shot is really cool! But yes, you'll have a hard time backtracking on that one when Peter gets down there for real and is looking for one. lol

Looks like a great night at EMH with the DISers! Looking forward to the rest of your updates.

They really made it seem like an active lab as there were note books all around and a coat on a chair - really looked like a scientist had just been there and went to use the bathroom (since, you know there are none in the queue so he had to go all the way out to get to a bathroom) or something
02_lab.jpg
Maybe they needed something to eat. Looks like they might have taken care of the bathroom needs in those clear containers...

And of course, the piece that everyone is talking about, the floating Avatar animatronic - which is huge and very immpresive
FoP%20Queue%20Floating%20Avata.gif
I know that the FP line pretty much skips most of the queue. Can you see this part from the FP line? We have FP for this one... having reserved it long before I'd seen any reviews of how it works. I'd have probably planned to do this one at rd and do the other FP had I known how great the queue was, but I just guessed that this would be the more popular attraction and assumed doing the other ride first would be easier.

It was about 12:50 at this point and we decided to head to Pop - getting to my room around 1:15am - after getting settled and stuff I was probably asleep by 2pm ... with the alarm set for 7am :scared:
Wow! Short night, but it looks like it was definitely a good time at AK!

Hey, just joining in on your magical TR. Love the photos... Shows what a magical time you had. Can't wait to read more about it. Kwaherini!

:welcome: thanks for joining! It was a pretty special trip - quick, but special!

That's a shame your sangria wasn't good. I hate when that happens.

On the up side, how nice that you were able to score a ride back to Pop!

It was a bit of a bummer - and with the margarita not really being anything special I think overall I was a bit disappointed in the mixed drinks in Pandora - especially when you think there is so much potential given the alien world, etc. At least the beers were good :thumbsup2

Definitely was nice that Dina offered, for sure!

Yikes, I missed the start of this one, but I found it and got all caught up! :thumbsup2

Very cool that you were able to get away for a couple of days for the event. We were a tad disappointed to miss it, since we would be in Disneyland that week, but I guess if we were going to miss it, Disneyland is a pretty good reason! We had a blast at the 10th anniversary last time, so hopefully we will be able to make it for the next big event. They are so much fun!

I really enjoyed the Pandora updates, as I haven't seen (or sought out) much in the way of photos or reviews and have just mainly been getting feedback on it from podcasts. I'm sure it was nice to enjoy it for the first time sans-kids so you could do it at your own pace and see what you wanted to see. The Banshee magic shot is really cool! But yes, you'll have a hard time backtracking on that one when Peter gets down there for real and is looking for one. lol

Looks like a great night at EMH with the DISers! Looking forward to the rest of your updates.

:welcome: Glad you could join! I definitely think being in Disneyland is a good consolation! And you will be at the next big event - the Italy cruise!

That's true - it was definitely easier to maneuver and take in all the scenery to Pandora rather than having to focus on which kid is wandering off now,

The good news is that Peter's attention span is about 16 seconds so I am sure he has already forgotten :thumbsup2

It was a fun night - I am glad we got those "unofficial" events organized

Maybe they needed something to eat. Looks like they might have taken care of the bathroom needs in those clear containers...

I know that the FP line pretty much skips most of the queue. Can you see this part from the FP line? We have FP for this one... having reserved it long before I'd seen any reviews of how it works. I'd have probably planned to do this one at rd and do the other FP had I known how great the queue was, but I just guessed that this would be the more popular attraction and assumed doing the other ride first would be easier.

Wow! Short night, but it looks like it was definitely a good time at AK!

Yeah, that's a fair point - hey they are scientists and it seems like most analysis for the impact on the human body is done by examining what are left as deposits in the bathroom

So you can't see the floating avatar from the fastpass line - it really skips everything. If you can get there at rope drop I definitely recommend doing that - and probably just keep the FP as you will want to ride it twice :thumbsup2

If there was one thing I did get a lot of this trip - it was sleep! But that is ok, I could power through for a few days!

Hmmm. What would you suggest for a Fastpass while traveling with Children? River Ride so everyone is happy/not much waiting and RD Flight of Passage? Or RD Flight, FP it later, and standby River Ride?

I'm back from my trip (TR to come soon) and finally caught up on your adventures! It looks like you had a great time so far. I'm sorry you didn't like Dinosaur. My youngest son (almost 5) insisted on riding it because he loves dinosaurs and then immediately hated it. Poor guy.

We also got to ride EE at night which I had never done before. It was so awesome at night! We were able to ride a couple times in a row. It's a must do for every trip now.

I'm sorry you didn't like the Sangria. Nothing is worse than spending a bit of money on a drink and then it not being good. The way you described it sounds really gross. Did you finish it? If I spend that much on a drink, I'll always find a way to finish it up. Lol!

Can't wait to read more!

Hmmm. What would you suggest for a Fastpass while traveling with Children? River Ride so everyone is happy/not much waiting and RD Flight of Passage? Or RD Flight, FP it later, and standby River Ride?

It is hard - and it feels like wait times are varying every dayso hard to know exactly how it will be when you go. I think the best would be to RD FoP and get there about 1 hour before park opening and get that taken care of and then have FP for River Ride for everyone. It's just hard to know as lines sometimes can be short for the river ride but hard to know for sure. I just checked the app and the river ride right now has a 70 min wait (and I think this is one of the lower wait times of the day) ... FoP has 255min (but I saw some reports at least one theater was down earlier today)

I wish there was a better answer but things are still changing so hard to know for sure - and we don't know what happens post Aug 19th as far as evening EMH for Animal Kingdom/Pandora

I'm back from my trip (TR to come soon) and finally caught up on your adventures! It looks like you had a great time so far. I'm sorry you didn't like Dinosaur. My youngest son (almost 5) insisted on riding it because he loves dinosaurs and then immediately hated it. Poor guy.

We also got to ride EE at night which I had never done before. It was so awesome at night! We were able to ride a couple times in a row. It's a must do for every trip now.

I'm sorry you didn't like the Sangria. Nothing is worse than spending a bit of money on a drink and then it not being good. The way you described it sounds really gross. Did you finish it? If I spend that much on a drink, I'll always find a way to finish it up. Lol!

Can't wait to read more!

Looking forward to your TR!

I didn't hate Dinosaur - and would definitely ride it again. Just a bit underwhelmed and it is definitely not as good as Indy. I feel bad for your son though!

EE at night is great - and if you time it right you can see the fireworks at DHS while you ride :thumbsup2

I did finish the sangria. One good thing is that it was pretty light and also was cold so it wasn't like it was hard to get down my gullet or anything - just tasted less than good

Part 15: Running 3.1 miles and a bit of Pop
Thursday June 1st 7:00am - 9:00am

I should at this point point out that I am very out of shape and really hate running - however I know I should try to be in better shape and have a lot of friends who run and a number who do RunDisney events and I figure if there is anything that could get me to run it would for it to be Disney related. So I've tried to get into running and signed up for the RunDisney virtual shorts racing series for over the summer. For it, you run a 5k (on your own, it is the honor system) in each of June, July, and August (well, you could just do one but I figured go big(ish) or go home so signed up for the series). Most of this I will run at home but I figured this was an opportunity to actual do one of the runs on Disney property so I had the idea to run 5K (~3.1 miles for those of you that are American) on this date. Now, that was my goal but I also knew that the night before would be a late one and that the coming night would be a late one as well so I figured if I just couldn't get up to run then it wouldn't be the end of the world. But I did wake up at about 6:50 on my own and figured if I was up I might as well get out and try to get the run it

I had posed this as an "un"official event on the DIS thread and Facebook group ... but no one elected to join me

I started out at the end of Generation Gap Bridge which connects Pop to Art of Animation. Here is the "before" pictures

01_Start%20of%20run.jpg

They did have a map out for the running trail, which took you around the lake and was 1.25 miles long (which obviously does not fit neatly into 3.1miles)

02_Map.jpg

So I did complete the run - doing a combination of around the lake and cutting through the bridge, etc. Here is my path and time from the runkeeper app along with my "after" picture (it got pretty hot by the last 1/3 or the run or so)

03_Run%20tracker.jpg
04_After%20run.jpg

I am still pretty slow but this was a lot better than the first time I ran outside, so I was pretty happy and think given that I got up early on vacation and ran in the Florida heat I definitely earned this medal (it is Pluto themed for the series)

05_medal.jpg

Ovearall I thought it was a pretty good trail - very flat and while some sections are right out in the sun there are some with more shade. They also have a number of signs all around the trail with facts about the different decades (on the Pop side) and about Disney animated movies (on the Art of Animation side). The only real negative is that the smoking areas are also along that path - so was a bit annoying to have to go by smokers while running.

After finishing the run I went back to my room and showered and changed and got ready for the day. I was getting picked up out front of the resort at around 9am for breakfast so made my way down and took a few pictures of Pop since I didn't really have a chance the previous day as I went right to my room given online check-in

This is an "artistic" shot through the giant POP sign and back over the main pool

06_Pop%20pool%20area.jpg

Then the entrance to the Classics Hall - a lot of the names at the Pop resort (Classics Hall, Generation Gap Bridge, etc.) would make more sense if they had build the second decades based resort on the other side of the lake (also would have meant Pop Century would have covered an actual Century rather than just half). And then a shot of the arcade which actually was pretty sizable and looked quite nice

07_Classic%20Hall.jpg
08_Arcade.jpg

And then Everything Pop which is the gift shop (which, actually has very little stuff specific to Pop and more just general Disney stuff ... so I think the name "Everything Pop" is a bit misleading) and the dining location (which you go through the gift shop part to get to)

09_Everything%20Pop.jpg

Coming up - breakfast at another new-to-me location

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter